WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my first interview at WCU!!! I am from florida

This is my second time applying (first at DO) and this is my first interview ever! I am so happy right now. Hoping for other interviews to come in soon!

Good luck everyone! For those who have interviewed, do you have any tips/advice? How was it?

Congrats! Is this the first interview they just started to send out for the invitation?

Members don't see this ad.

I will have to add my 2 cents even though I am a lowly 1st year. I realized when I was accepted here that I was in the 2nd class and that meant that there would be a lot of issues that would have to be worked out "on the fly". The first few classes at WCUCOM will be the pioneers and will have to blaze the trail. This means that there will be problems and issues. This does not mean that I agree with everything the administration does but I will comply with it. I figure I have enough on my plate trying to get thru med school and I will let the Deans make the policies.

I am not a "homer". At this point in my life, I have long since overcome being intimidated by people. But I will give the respect and honor that is due a person because of position. I think we have the beginnings of something great here at WCUCOM, a school that will make a huge impact on this state and this region.

I completely agree. Are there things that are difficult here? Of course. Do all of us agree with every single thing that happens here? Absolutely not. But here's the thing, we're in medical school. It's stressful. No matter where you go to receive training. Griping about how bad the school is doesn't do anything, especially because WCUCOM is a great school. I love the faculty; they all seem to really want to help the students. My classmates are great, too.

It was made clear to us in the interviews that our class and the OMS II class are pioneers for this school. The class following us will also be in that same position. However, instead of looking at the negatives, it is best to look at how exciting and wonderful an opportunity we have here. The community has been nothing but happy for us to be here; and this school is going to make a wonderful and huge impact in the surrounding areas. I trust that the faculty, who have a lot more experience in this world than I do, that's for sure. I've got enough to worry about with classes and the rest of the responsibilities with medical school than to complain about how bad it is. I'm excited; I get to wake up every day and learn about the human body. Even better, I'm going to be a physician soon. And that makes any bumps a new school is going through worth it.

I agree with DrSoonerDO a 100%. If anyone has any questions about the school or community feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is there not a Subway on campus. I hate having to drive to get white chocolate/raspberry/macadamia nut cookies.

Just got my first interview at WCU!!! I am from florida

This is my second time applying (first at DO) and this is my first interview ever! I am so happy right now. Hoping for other interviews to come in soon!

Good luck everyone! For those who have interviewed, do you have any tips/advice? How was it?

Check out the SDN interview feedback. I was asked everything from there. It's 3 of the faculty members interviewing you at once. It wasn't too bad, but sucked that I had to go last. I felt like they rushed me because of that or something. I think it went okay for me, though.

Check out the SDN interview feedback. I was asked everything from there. It's 3 of the faculty members interviewing you at once. It wasn't too bad, but sucked that I had to go last. I felt like they rushed me because of that or something. I think it went okay for me, though.

After you are invited for the interview, do they matriculate people at a higher percentage among those people who got interviewS?

Why is there not a Subway on campus. I hate having to drive to get white chocolate/raspberry/macadamia nut cookies.

And just once I'd like for them to hire a special celebrity to come talk to us. My vote goes to NPH!

After you are invited for the interview, do they matriculate people at a higher percentage among those people who got interviewS?

No idea. My interview was on September 19 or around there, and they said our official decisions aren't even out til Nov 1.

I completely agree. Are there things that are difficult here? Of course. Do all of us agree with every single thing that happens here? Absolutely not. But here's the thing, we're in medical school. It's stressful. No matter where you go to receive training. Griping about how bad the school is doesn't do anything, especially because WCUCOM is a great school. I love the faculty; they all seem to really want to help the students. My classmates are great, too.

It was made clear to us in the interviews that our class and the OMS II class are pioneers for this school. The class following us will also be in that same position. However, instead of looking at the negatives, it is best to look at how exciting and wonderful an opportunity we have here. The community has been nothing but happy for us to be here; and this school is going to make a wonderful and huge impact in the surrounding areas. I trust that the faculty, who have a lot more experience in this world than I do, that's for sure. I've got enough to worry about with classes and the rest of the responsibilities with medical school than to complain about how bad it is. I'm excited; I get to wake up every day and learn about the human body. Even better, I'm going to be a physician soon. And that makes any bumps a new school is going through worth it.

Well, to address the thread from "Baldi" and others I must agree on a couple things. First, I agree that this is a school surrounded with excellent faculty and staff and I also believe that it has a lot of potential in the years to come. Second, this forum or "thread" rather was designed to promote conversation, GOOD OR BAD, about the school. Inhibiting free speech was not my goal. My goal was to allow everyone to speak their opinions and let the truth stand for itself. I have found that over the years if something is legitimate and worthy, it needn't a defense. Yes, we are the pioneers. Yes, we should focus on the positives. And yes, no school is perfect. But just like pioneers, when we see a problem we need to address it. Things cannot be fixed unless they are criticized; and good doesn't become great unless it is challenged. Criticism can be likened to great sports stars and athletes. Athletes are good at what they do because they strive for perfection, not "good" or "good enough."

Now, to Baldi's comments:

1) Yes, most schools do have some form of an attendance policy. I completely agree. I AM NOT an advocate of revoking or abolishing the attendance policy. I don't think anyone else is, either. I AM an advocate for revising the attendance policy and/ or testing schedule. I feel (in addition to a majority of the class) that this is a reasonable and legitimate request. I would love to see the research, by the way. I have found research that links attendance and higher GPA's; but this is not for professional school equivalent to medical school and it is certainly not for medical school. I have also found research that says required attendance has little if any effect on GPA. But again, it is not supportive of the medical school arena. The research just is not there. If it is there, please share it with the rest of us.

2) My comment was directed at tuition and getting your money's worth i.e. for the price, are the services there. Let me explain this in a different way: the more money one pays, the more one should get, right? Thus, tuition is not the complaint rather the services afforded to us through the tuition. The data may be right, but let's put it in context. Is everything perfect? No. Will it be? No, not even in the perfect world. I understand this concept. But I think we have a right to ask for basic things such as more transparency and communication involving a plethora of matters. People have circumvented the proper process involving several matters. It is evident there is a disconnect somewhere.

3) Can't really debate anything on this issue. I agree but I must ask: If you look for a course, when are you going to take it? During the small summer break during which you will have very little time to prepare (we are out around June but must relocate to rotation sites and study all within a month and a half) or during the semester that goes until June with 80% attendance for all classes and having a test or two every week for six months?

4) I agree once more. However, it has been stated by many professors in class and out of class that their hands are tied by the university's policy not necessarily the COM's. To paraphrase/quote a particular person: "we took our version of the attendance policy to the University and they rejected it. We were just as surprised as you guys. You're going to have to take it up with the University." Is the SGA prepared to petition the University on behalf of a Majority of the COM students? If so, I think we are all willing to use the proper process and SGA.

I will say that I enjoy the people that surround me. The faculty is great and so are the students. I have never trusted a group of people more than the people at WCUCOM. I do hope that these issues are addressed and WCUCOM becomes the flaghsip for all DO schools.

Can you offer a link to research that verifies this assertion?

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPorta...&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ259987

I might also add that I'd rather not have an attendance policy, but the reality is that it's here and not going away. Arguing the point will only create a more adversarial relationship with the faculty and administration and will not change anything. Save the effort for winnable battles and focus on your education.

Thank you! I am not too sure but my interview is on November 8th.. Anybody else interviewing then?

I withdrew from my interview invitation (Oct 18th) this morning due to acceptances closer to home. Hopefully someone on here will get the spot. Good luck!:luck:

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster here. I am interviewing at WCU on Oct 25. Is anyone else interviewing here? It seems like they send out invitation to interview more than 1 month in advance. I received my invitation on 9/12/2011.

Is there anything special about the school or interview day that I should know about and prepare for? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I'm just now getting into the SDN shindig. I just applied for WCU-COM this weekend :xf:, and I'm wondering how long it usually takes for them to get back to you? And does they use e-mail or snail mail?

Last year it didn't take very long to get interview invite by email after I submitted my secondary.

Last year it didn't take very long to get interview invite by email after I submitted my secondary.

Do you think that after you are invited for the interview, you will get a higher chance of the matriculation?

How long did it take for you last year to receive the interview after submitting the secondary?

Do you think that after you are invited for the interview, you will get a higher chance of the matriculation?

How long did it take for you last year to receive the interview after submitting the secondary?

Yes the addcom has stated multiple time that they do not waste yours or their time by interviewing someone they don't like. Basically, they want to make sure you aren't a psychopath or a serial killer. Which even if you are, could they tell from a single interview? If so go back and watch a few episodes of Dexter to become a better serial killer. The interview is more along the lines of a formal conversation, and is relaxed. Just know why you want to become an osteopathic physician and you're golden.

I received my invite about a month after I submitted the secondary. It depends on how close you sent your secondary in to the time they review the next batch of applications.

I wanted to add under the attendance policy: We have 42 class hours per week with required attendance in all classes; below 80% attendance and you either drop a letter grade which may also cause failure. Only excused absenses (getting hit by a city bus; getting eaten by a bear; the second coming; etc. etc.) will not count against you.

"Enjoy" this one and remember "not to be served, but to serve"

If you are not happy at this school, then why don't you just leave or transfer??? Count your blessings that you were even admitted to a medical school, especially considering your extremely negative attitude. It certainly is not professional to be cutting down on the institution which is teaching/training you to be a physician. When you graduate and get your degree, you will be proud of it. Therefore, you should be proud of what you're doing now at this institution, or else leave.

If you are not happy at this school, then why don't you just leave or transfer??? Count your blessings that you were even admitted to a medical school, especially considering your extremely negative attitude. It certainly is not professional to be cutting down on the institution which is teaching/training you to be a physician. When you graduate and get your degree, you will be proud of it. Therefore, you should be proud of what you're doing now at this institution, or else leave.[/QUOTE

First, you cannot just transfer to another medical school. It doesn't work like that. If you have a serious situation (not a disdain for the school), then a transfer is possible. Second, and I will try to reiterate this once again: there is a difference albeit subtle between not being happy and not being content. You can be happy but still expect more. I mean seriously? How will the school get better without criticism? I have made an argument of constructive criticism which is what the administration is actually seeking from the students, happiness notwithstanding. In the original post I mentioned several topics that could be discussed. It doesn't mean I thought they were dire and needed to be changed immediately i.e. the tuition sucks, but let's face it one of the number one problems with post secondary education (undergraduate or professional) in general is rising tuition.

If you are not happy at this school, then why don't you just leave or transfer??? Count your blessings that you were even admitted to a medical school, especially considering your extremely negative attitude. It certainly is not professional to be cutting down on the institution which is teaching/training you to be a physician. When you graduate and get your degree, you will be proud of it. Therefore, you should be proud of what you're doing now at this institution, or else leave.

One other thing: I think you have confused sarcasm with negativity. Webster's offers a great dichotomy between the two. Formulate a better argument, provide reasonable evidence, and attack the content of what I am saying not the person saying it.

Anytime I feel that the school could do more, I think to myself, "Pine ears." And so then I ask, "What can I do to make things better?" Just so long as your school doesn't stand in the way of making that happen then everything is gravy on a piece of cake. Which leads me to my point. I don't think transferring to another school is the best solution but if all else fails then yeah perhaps your talents would be better suited at another institution. Then again most times the complainers never have the initiative in the first place to actually fill out the forms in order to transfer.

So osteo101 does bring up a real solution to some students' problems, albeit one for a different school in my opinion. Honestly, these students would never follow through on this solution but if they did they'd soon regret it because WCUCOM has so many great things going for it that pale in comparison to the minor negatives these students seem to want to hark on. I think sometimes we forget what we have here and the wonderful opportunity that's been extended to us begins to be taken for granted.

Personally, I wouldn't transfer in a million years because I feel the school has been more than willing to work with me on certain projects that either I or other students have proposed.

Anytime I feel that the school could do more, I think to myself, "Pine ears." And so then I ask, "What can I do to make things better?" Just so long as your school doesn't stand in the way of making that happen then everything is gravy on a piece of cake. Which leads me to my point. I don't think transferring to another school is the best solution but if all else fails then yeah perhaps your talents would be better suited at another institution. Then again most times the complainers never have the initiative in the first place to actually fill out the forms in order to transfer.

So osteo101 does bring up a real solution to some students' problems, albeit one for a different school in my opinion. Honestly, these students would never follow through on this solution but if they did they'd soon regret it because WCUCOM has so many great things going for it that pale in comparison to the minor negatives these students seem to want to hark on. I think sometimes we forget what we have here and the wonderful opportunity that's been extended to us begins to be taken for granted.

Personally, I wouldn't transfer in a million years because I feel the school has been more than willing to work with me on certain projects that either I or other students have proposed.

I agree! I would not transfer either. I like it here. And like I said the faculty is looking for "constructive criticism," so I think it is in our best interest to give criticism where needed and do what we can to help the school grow!

I agree! I would not transfer either. I like it here. And like I said the faculty is looking for "constructive criticism," so I think it is in our best interest to give criticism where needed and do what we can to help the school grow!
It's good that someone is willing to bring up issues that need addressing. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Better to fix the problem than to just chunk the whole cart. But let's keep growing in other areas that can use some attention while the process is underway. Don't let it hold up other issues on the docket and don't let your frustration get the better of you. Odds are the problem can always be addressed on down the road even if it doesn't benefit any of us.
Patience. What's the use in becoming a doctor if you won't have any patients?

Last edited:
They've been silent to me so far. No confirmation, no secondary, nothing. I've sent adcom an email and they haven't replied either. Does this mean silent rejection??

They've been silent to me so far. No confirmation, no secondary, nothing. I've sent adcom an email and they haven't replied either. Does this mean silent rejection??

I didn't hear anything after my primary was released. I emailed about a secondary and they said they screen and were waiting on my MCAT. It took over a week to get a response. I think things are just moving slower here. I would just call.

So I have an interview here in a few weeks. Any tips on which airport to fly into? Renting a car vs. taking a taxi? Hotels with shuttles to the campus?

So I have an interview here in a few weeks. Any tips on which airport to fly into? Renting a car vs. taking a taxi? Hotels with shuttles to the campus?

Congrats on an interview! Jackson International Airport is good, it's ~1hr and 1/2 from Hattiesburg, or you can go to Gulport (only an hour away, I think).
I rented a car when I interviewed last year, and had no problems.

There's a bunch of hotels about 10-15 minutes away from campus, and really easy to get to....Marriott and such.

How long did it take for you guys to hear anything about interview invitation after your file is complete, approximately? I am curious.

How long does it take to receive secondaries? I submitted my application about a week and half ago. I also submitted to 2 other schools and got those secondaries last week.

How long does it take to receive secondaries? I submitted my application about a week and half ago. I also submitted to 2 other schools and got those secondaries last week.

Did you just add WCU-COM to your already verified AACOMAS or you just submitted the AACOMAS application a week and a half ago? If it is the latter case, then it must be verified first which will take a month. If it is the first case, then call them up when you will expect to receive the secondary app. I received the secondary app after a week or so.

Just to throw another one in the ring, I'm an OMS I at WCUCOM and here's my assessment:

1 and most important.) Faculty. They are amazing. Most of our faculty retired from other med schools and WCUCOM grabbed them up quick. We have profs who taught at LSU Med and dental schools, and another who did a fellowship and then taught for many years at Harvard. Just because the school is new doesn't mean the faculty are. They are very experienced and wonderful to the students. A++++

2.) Facilities. amazing. everything's brand new. nuff said.
3.) Hattiesburg. ehh. The people are extremely nice so no offense to them. It's a nice town, but not the best. No reason whatsoever to NOT come to WCUCOM, though. You don't have much time to do anything in the town anyway!
4.) hiccups. Every school has them. Every year. Students at every school complain about something. We're under a lot of stress, and we're paying a lot of money, so complaining comes more naturally. Our internet has been running slow, and the school was on top of that and did everything in their power to get it fixed. The biggest complaint I've heard is about the mandatory attendance policy. It doesn't bother me. Quite frankly, I'd fail if I didn't go to class. My answer to that is just attend class, but study if you need to during class.

Overall I love WCUCOM and would recommend it to anybody looking to become a DO.

Just to throw another one in the ring, I'm an OMS I at WCUCOM and here's my assessment:

1 and most important.) Faculty. They are amazing. Most of our faculty retired from other med schools and WCUCOM grabbed them up quick. We have profs who taught at LSU Med and dental schools, and another who did a fellowship and then taught for many years at Harvard. Just because the school is new doesn't mean the faculty are. They are very experienced and wonderful to the students. A++++

2.) Facilities. amazing. everything's brand new. nuff said.
3.) Hattiesburg. ehh. The people are extremely nice so no offense to them. It's a nice town, but not the best. No reason whatsoever to NOT come to WCUCOM, though. You don't have much time to do anything in the town anyway!
4.) hiccups. Every school has them. Every year. Students at every school complain about something. We're under a lot of stress, and we're paying a lot of money, so complaining comes more naturally. Our internet has been running slow, and the school was on top of that and did everything in their power to get it fixed. The biggest complaint I've heard is about the mandatory attendance policy. It doesn't bother me. Quite frankly, I'd fail if I didn't go to class. My answer to that is just attend class, but study if you need to during class.

Overall I love WCUCOM and would recommend it to anybody looking to become a DO.

Well said!!!!

I have an interview here on November 1. Has anyone here interviewed yet? I wanted to know if the interview is open or closed file? Also, how many interviewers are there when you go to the interview? What types of questions did you receive during the interview? Thank you.

I am schedule to interview on Nov. 15th. If anyone one of you is also from the out-of state, which air pathway did you take? Please share your pathway you have taken to get to the campus. Thanks.

I am interviewing here Oct. 25. I will fly into Jackson International Airport and drive to Hattiesburg, then fly back to my home city the same day after the interview. So no hotel needed.

You can also fly into New Orleans and drive to Hattiesburg. It is the same driving distance from Jackson --> Hattiesburg. But, rental car is cheaper in Jackson than New Orleans.

Quick question about the interview day. What is it like? Open or close file? And about how many students interview in a day?

I am interviewing here Oct. 25. I will fly into Jackson International Airport and drive to Hattiesburg, then fly back to my home city the same day after the interview. So no hotel needed.

You can also fly into New Orleans and drive to Hattiesburg. It is the same driving distance from Jackson --> Hattiesburg. But, rental car is cheaper in Jackson than New Orleans.

Quick question about the interview day. What is it like? Open or close file? And about how many students interview in a day?

Gotcha. I assume you are from Texas. Well, I am from AZ and I can go to either of two airports, Jackson or New Orleans. The only option you only know to get to Hattiesburg from either Jacskon or New Orleans is renting a car? No regional airport or shuttle services you found??

Gotcha. I assume you are from Texas. Well, I am from AZ and I can go to either of two airports, Jackson or New Orleans. The only option you only know to get to Hattiesburg from either Jacskon or New Orleans is renting a car? No regional airport or shuttle services you found??

regional airport has no available flights. shuttle service would waste time waiting. rental car is good b/c i can get there in < 1 hour if I drive fast enough.

Since we don't have to be there until 10:30AM, I have some time to spare.

regional airport has no available flights. shuttle service would waste time waiting. rental car is good b/c i can get there in < 1 hour if I drive fast enough.

Since we don't have to be there until 10:30AM, I have some time to spare.

Let me know how your driving goes from Jackson to Hattiesburg. Because I will be renting a car as well and drive to school from Jackson airport. I hope it isn't too bad.

Also, is there a lot of snow or rain in MS?

Let me know how your driving goes from Jackson to Hattiesburg. Because I will be renting a car as well and drive to school from Jackson airport. I hope it isn't too bad.

I drive a lot between Jackson and Hattiesburg to pick up/drop off my fiance...the drive is easy, sometimes traffic is bad (but rarely).

There was a lot of rain when I moved here in July, but otherwise, the weather is pretty perfect. I love it here....I came from 8 feet of snow in the winter to this beautiful place :)

Good luck to all of you on your interview!! Hope to meet some of you guys!

I have a question about interview day. What does the schedule look like? Is it really a panel of 3 interviewing you? And will the day end before 4PM? I just don't want to miss my flight since the latest one leaves Jackson at 5:45PM

if you're renting a car, i suggest you find some coupon codes because it's cheaper. If you're < 24 years old, they will charge you extra. However, if you have membership to i.e. Costco, then they will waive the fee.

I got a big discount on my rental, young renters fee waived, and a free upgrade to full size for < $70. Good luck on your rental car bargain hunt. :luck:

I have a question about interview day. What does the schedule look like? Is it really a panel of 3 interviewing you? And will the day end before 4PM? I just don't want to miss my flight since the latest one leaves Jackson at 5:45PM

Hey, you are in the same boat as I am. I called the admission about the interview day schedule. They said you must be there by 10 AM and there will be few helpful information sessions going on and lunch. Starting 1 PM, a first group of interviewees will do the interview for 30 min with a panel of 3 faculty members. Those 3 people could be anyone of DO physician, professor or admin. Then, the next group of interviewee do the interview afterward, I don't know the exact time, but they said you must notify them when you arrive there that you want to do the interview in the first group due to the early flight time. Then, they should let you do the interview and leave early. Definitely, the interview day will be over by 4 PM.

Like yours, my flight is at 6:40PM for Nov. 29th. So, I definitely need to leave Hattiesburg between 3-3:30 PM. In your case, I would try to leave at 3 PM or a little early since it is roughly 2 hours drive from Hattiesburg to Jackson airport. Interview is only 30 min...so you can probably leave even earlier.

Hope this helps.

if you're renting a car, i suggest you find some coupon codes because it's cheaper. If you're < 24 years old, they will charge you extra. However, if you have membership to i.e. Costco, then they will waive the fee.

I got a big discount on my rental, young renters fee waived, and a free upgrade to full size for < $70. Good luck on your rental car bargain hunt. :luck:

Darn...I've already reserved enterprise economy car online yesterday...I am obviously under 24 and they charged 10 bucks in the total amount. After you are already reserved, a coupon will not work, eh? Also, if you just have Costco card, you get a discount on renting any company's car?

Darn...I've already reserved enterprise economy car online yesterday...I am obviously under 24 and they charged 10 bucks in the total amount. After you are already reserved, a coupon will not work, eh? Also, if you just have Costco card, you get a discount on renting any company's car?

You have to call Costco travel to find out the prices. Enterprise charge me $25 if i'm under 24. However, Avis waive the fee if you use Costco membership. I would google Costco travel and go from there. I am sure you can cancel your reservation since it's more than 24 hours before pick-up date.

If you get an interview at WCU, they are serious about accepting you. I think everyone I interviewed with last year got accepted.

Can anyone help me answer this question?

What is the likelihood or estimate of the chance (percentage) of you getting an acceptance if you receive an interview at WCU COM? I received my rejection post interview from KCUMB today and it hurts. I would like to know if WCU COM is really seriously about interviewing me and not just interview me to later destroy my hope and dream.

I kind of wish I didn't turn down the interview at VCOM :(

Sorry to hear about the KCUMB. I am sure WCU-COM will want you more than KCUMB did. Well, I asked this same question to admission and they said they can't tell me the exact answer. It varies from day to day. I am sure they seriously want to meet us for the interview to see whether we are good fits for their program. Plus, they are only interviewing 6 people per interview day. I am paying ~$700 bucks for this one school's interview including travel expenses, lodging and renting a car...since I am from Tucson, Arizona. So, this gotta be a good interview day and productive day for me!

Good luck to you TexasGuy2010! I am interviewing on Nov. 29th, btw.

You have to call Costco travel to find out the prices. Enterprise charge me $25 if i'm under 24. However, Avis waive the fee if you use Costco membership. I would google Costco travel and go from there. I am sure you can cancel your reservation since it's more than 24 hours before pick-up date.

Do you think it is okay to register online on Costco travel website for Costco Travel Account with my dad' Costco membership card?? I hope it does...if I find a better deal on Costco travel, then I better need to cancel already reserved Enterprise car.