WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they have regional bias? I haven't heard anything yet, even a confirmation. I called today but it didn't help much either.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite!

SS: 8/30, II: 9/2, I: 9/23

Unfortunately I'm going to have to reschedule... but it looks like WCU-COM is starting to hand out interviews!

Interview Invite!

SS: 8/30, II: 9/2, I: 9/23

Unfortunately I'm going to have to reschedule... but it looks like WCU-COM is starting to hand out interviews!

Congrats...I'm hoping they start looking at the Florida applicants soon. So far it's only been from Miss. and Alabama.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA-wise, you'd be in good position for MD schools. Good luck. I've been complete since August 8th and WCU is definitely near/at the top of my list.

After 1 month at WCUCOM and being brutalized by a Gross Anatomy practical, I can say that it is amazing! I have never been in another school where the professors sit in on each others lectures consistently. They do this to make sure they know what the med students are being taught and where they are at. This keeps them from repeating information and going into concepts in detail that we have not covered. They also are great, especially the DO's, in helping us keep things in perspective and how to focus.

After 1 month at WCUCOM and being brutalized by a Gross Anatomy practical, I can say that it is amazing! I have never been in another school where the professors sit in on each others lectures consistently. They do this to make sure they know what the med students are being taught and where they are at. This keeps them from repeating information and going into concepts in detail that we have not covered. They also are great, especially the DO's, in helping us keep things in perspective and how to focus.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but WCUCOM should have their first class of 3rd years starting rotations this year, right? Have y'all heard anything from them about how rotations are going? Are there any reports on how the COMLEX went in terms of pass rate and average score?

Do they have regional bias? I haven't heard anything yet, even a confirmation. I called today but it didn't help much either.

LEGALESE: This is from observation and a personal opinion!

There is a definite regional bias BECAUSE their focus is to train physicians, especially Primary Care, that will practice in Mississippi and the surrounding states. They will start with applicants who fit this profile. With that being said, they will look at applicants that have an open mind about practicing in Mississippi and the Southeast. (Hattiesburg is a nice little city and is very livable.) We have students at WCUCOM from California so acceptance is not out of the question. I hope this helps

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but WCUCOM should have their first class of 3rd years starting rotations this year, right? Have y'all heard anything from them about how rotations are going? Are there any reports on how the COMLEX went in terms of pass rate and average score?

Next year at this time you will have this information. There are only 2 classes at WCUCOM, 2014 & 2015. This interview cycle is for class # 3.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Good luck to you and to all future applicants! We do have a lot of people from Alabama in both classes. When you get the chance during the interview process be sure to ask questions of the OMS II's and the OMS I's.

Last edited:
Who has the earliest interview date for this year? Can any of the current students at WCU-COM chime in on how the previous interviews were?

Who has the earliest interview date for this year? Can any of the current students at WCU-COM chime in on how the previous interviews were?

LEGALESE: This is from observation and a personal opinion!

Dr. Weir and his staff do a great job of making the applicants feel as relaxed as possible. The interview is all about seeing how well you fit at WCUCOM and how WCUCOM will fit you. It is not about whether or not you can do the work or if the school is interested in you. Those questions were settled when you were invited for an interview. I have spent my free time quota for the day and best of luck to you all.

I agree with Makessense; Dr. Weir and the admissions committee are just making sure you're a good fit here and WCUCOM is a good fit for you. This was probably the most relaxed interview! They already know you'd make it through medical school, that's why you got an invite. When you get here, don't be afraid to say hi to all the OMS-I&II students. We're excited to see you here! :)

I just got an interview invite today for mid October!!
OOS - but from the South
Mailed in Secondary about a month ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview invite today for mid October!!
OOS - but from the South
Mailed in Secondary about a month ago.

CONGRATS!!!

I just got one too. For Nov. 1st

Mailed in my secondary the first week of August.

I just got an interview invite for Nov. 1. This is my first interview and I'm very excited!!! This school is great, especially the Admissions office staff.

Does WCU only accept Miss/Southern state residents? I am an IL resident and what is the mcat average and the MCAT range of accepted scores?

Is there a minimum MCAT score, anyone get in with a 22?

Does WCU only accept Miss/Southern state residents? I am an IL resident and what is the mcat average and the MCAT range of accepted scores?

I think being a MS resident really helped me. I've taken the MCAT way more than I would've liked to. I made a 24 the first time. 21 the second time, and I received an interview with those scores. I've recently taken a third, and only managed a 26 and have just submitted that one to them.

a direct answer to your question would be to tell you that your mcat is below the national avg in the U.S.
it would behoove you to retake it and try to go somewhere else

i know wcu-com's mcat avg was a 24 last yr. this is the norm for most D.O. schools when they first start taking students. the reason the applicant pool is below national standards is because the school has yet to prove itself and would be considered a dubious bet for a quarter million dollars in student loans by any rational applicant with decent scores. youhave to take into consideration that accreditation has its fair share of obstacles and despite COCA's failsafes there's always the chance that you'd be enrollin in a school that barely makes the cut by COCA's standards and basically screws its students over just to keep costs down. basically you could end up graduatin from a degree mill and be left standin without a residency. this school's reputation went the way of RVU when it fired its dean. buyer beware! :thumbdown:

a direct answer to your question would be to tell you that your mcat is below the national avg in the U.S.

i know wcu-com's mcat avg was a 24 last yr. this is the norm for most D.O. schools when they first start taking students. the reason the applicant pool is below national standards is because the school has yet to prove itself and would be considered a dubious bet for a quarter million dollars in student loans by any rational applicant with decent scores. youhave to take into consideration that accreditation has its fair share of obstacles and despite COCA's failsafes there's always the chance that you'd be enrollin in a school that barely makes the cut by COCA's standards and basically screws its students over just to keep costs down. basically you could end up graduatin from a degree mill and be left standin without a residency. this school's reputation went the way of RVU when it fired its dean. buyer beware! :thumbdown:

I'd like to think that most people understand applying to a school which does not yet have accreditation is something of a risk. However, everything I've heard about WCU-COM has been glowingly positive. The school was actually recommended to me by my pre-health adviser. She seemed to think there would be no problems with WCU achieving accreditation. Is there something I'm missing?

I'd like to think that most people understand applying to a school which does not yet have accreditation is something of a risk. However, everything I've heard about WCU-COM has been glowingly positive. The school was actually recommended to me by my pre-health adviser. She seemed to think there would be no problems with WCU achieving accreditation. Is there something I'm missing?

You're not missing anything. Anonymous is misinformed, and IMHO, not tactful or fair. As a student at WCU COM, we're told what's going on with the accreditation process and, no, there are no issues. None of us are in fear of the possibility of not getting a residency due to a "degree mill". We're all happy with the school and the level of education we are receiving. If you want more info, feel free to send me a message. :)

You're not missing anything. Anonymous is misinformed, and IMHO, not tactful or fair. As a student at WCU COM, we're told what's going on with the accreditation process and, no, there are no issues. None of us are in fear of the possibility of not getting a residency due to a "degree mill". We're all happy with the school and the level of education we are receiving. If you want more info, feel free to send me a message. :)

I admire your loyalty DrSooner. Though I don't believe either of us to be impartial judges of our school, I nonetheless agree that our school has many wonderful qualities that extend beyond just the faculty and buildings. It has many qualities that shore up the level of education being provided and enrich the entire med school experience. But as a second year student at WCUCOM, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm content 100% of the time. I don't think any school could realistically offer that.

That being said none of my complaints extend beyond lesser matters that have no effect on the quality of the education and therefore really aren't important or worth mentioning. The current admin is by no means establishing a degree mill and has made several efforts to appease the students' beyond COCA's recommendations (ex: a new refrigerator, a coffee vending machine, free COMLEX review course). It's these and many other little things that come with being a student at WCUCOM that go a long way.

There's enough stress from class that may push us towards a negative outlook but when the admin does work with the students to try and make things happen and help create positive change it feels like a victory for the entire school and helps keep the outlook upbeat. Case in point, the COM's own newsletter that will be published for and by students. It's my belief that if the school continues on its present course it will become a Mecca for DO's in the south.

The fact of the matter is that schools do not have to provide their students with anything other than faculty and a building in which to hold classes. Schools that provide these things alone are by definition degree mills. WCUCOM goes beyond expectations which kind of ties into the university's motto, "expect great things ~". I should also mention that simply for the fact that there has yet to be a single degree issued thus far that definition doesn't actually apply here but that's just me being a stickler for accuracy.

Last edited:

You are mistaken young sir. RVU is not my cut of schools and WCUCOM is far and beyond many of those with much greater years under their belts. Based on your listed status I would say good luck applying this year but based on your negative diatribe perhaps a change in temperament may be necessary. Most schools like positive applicants.

And to the young (wo)man from IL, you should not rule out applying to WCUCOM. The regional bias may not help so perhaps a change in address might be worth considering. I know of a girl from Oregon that is taking graduate classes at Ole Miss and will be applying this year. Best of luck to you and your future endeavors.

Last edited:
the MCAT avg is not 24...when I called them, she said it was 27-28??

Good luck to those interviewing. The faculty truly are nice. I swear I was asked everything from the interview feedback section for this school too lol. My interview felt shorter compared to everyone elses too. Maybe cause I went last.

Anybody know why I wouldn't have received a secondary yet? I really like this school and have good stats and experiences and everything but for some reason don't even have a secondary .

Ok, I just wanted to post this in order to start a discussion about issues at WCU-COM, . Feel free to discuss issues such as:

1) Required attendance :thumbdown:

2) Are you getting your money's worth? (base tuition at WCU $38000; at Johns Hopkins it is ~41000 per AAMC; Harvard ~45000; I hear these are good medical schools) :confused:

3) COMLEX/USMLE preparation :laugh:

4) Who makes the decisions at school? The dean? The class? The instructors? etc. etc.

5) Any other issues that are important

Cheeers

Last edited:
I wanted to add under the attendance policy: We have 42 class hours per week with required attendance in all classes; below 80% attendance and you either drop a letter grade which may also cause failure. Only excused absenses (getting hit by a city bus; getting eaten by a bear; the second coming; etc. etc.) will not count against you.

"Enjoy" this one and remember "not to be served, but to serve"

you know that getting hit by a city bus isnt an excused absence right? being sick with a doctors note isn't an excused absence either.

Last edited:
I just added this school to verified AACOMAS. Do you think I am seriously late by adding this school today on AACOMAS? There is no another verification process or delay when I add individual school, right??

I heard that this school screens people out before sending out the secondary invitations. What is the basic requirement for the screening process??

the MCAT avg is not 24...when I called them, she said it was 27-28??

I believe this is the average of our class, which BTW, was the first class that WCU accepted having a full application cycle. They were not able to start interviewing for the first class until October.

you know that getting hit by a city bus isnt an excused absence right? being sick with a doctors note isn't an excused absence either. the attendance policy should be a little more flexible and maybe enforced if students are failing or need to prove something. we've already proved that we can get in. why were we accepted if they didn't have faith in us? not only do we have to waste that much time in class but we have to deal with the people that dont want to be there and wont just take a nap and be quiet during class. either way we lose

Exactly, just so long as the school can get their hours. It really is absurd. The way the university is setup is totally designed to dispense as many hours to the students as possible. It allows them to charge the outrageous price tag we all see at the start of each semester. All I know is that when May 2014 rolls around I'm leaving this place in my rear-view mirror.

2) Are you getting your money's worth? (base tuition at WCU $38000; at Johns Hopkins it is ~41000 per AAMC; Harvard ~45000; I hear these are good medical schools) :confused:

4) Who makes the decisions at school? The dean? The class? The instructors? etc. etc.

I 2nd the above :thumbup:
Also how long do you give Fryfoggle to fix the internet? Apart from snooping through our personal emails and forwarding anything deemed insubordinate to the dean, he does actual work right?:xf:

have heard admin come up and tell us "other schools do this and this and most schools do this so we are doing it." First of thats a load of garbage. All the established schools that I know of with students acing the boards and making great doctors dont have mandatory attendance. The dean and admin can argue all they want, the truth remains firm.
Money's worth..lets see, the OMT training is great and so is the anatomy training (minus one block). Besides that..hmm no! If we need an upgrade (like better internet) what we hear is that there isnt enough budget. And we have THE WORST IT department of all time. They set up TVs in conference rooms for the students with improperly wired cables and when students find out that it isnt working, we get emails from these so called "Experts
*on not to mess with the cables. The dean and admin listen to what their employees tell them more than listening to the students. Beleive me, we have some real tech savvy students here who know more than the IT guys who tell you to just reboot your laptop if you have a problem. They bought projectors and laser pointers and some faculty themselves left them on without having them off and guess what, students get an email for apparently messing with it...again, the blame falls on the students. I think this is very very unprofessional from their part because they need to quit making useless assumptions.
COMLEX ...they are working on giving us a paid for course (something is better than nothing) in the summer but are only giving us barely a month to take this exam. Students cant do well..i guarantee you that...STUDENTS CANT DO WELL WITH JUST A MONTH! I dont understand what its going to take to make the faculty (or maybe its just the dean) to get this message across!
Most of the faculty seem laid back and the ex dean was good. The current dean...I'm real skeptical about him. He seems to run with an iron fist and makes ridiculous rules and decisions with his vote only. There is a rule now where there is a time limit to stay in school and study....and his reason was "because you guys will be going into residency and working 16 hour days in the future and I think this is bad practice to stay up too late." Really?? When did he make decisions for my future and when did he know all about about the right study habits?? There is probably no established school (and im not talking about crappy med schools) which limit their students in staying on campus to study. Whats next, a set bedtime ?? The current dean started out well (maybe for 2 weeks) and then had a change in attitude which we all noticed. I personally dont have anything against it but I can tell that trying to take control of everything with an all knowing attitude mixed with refusals to listen to input is no way helpful to the students ...which is the foundation of the school.
I feel that the school has potential and so does the faculty and even the dean because I beleive people can change and things can change. But stubborness is* going to raise havoc in this place..dont beleive me, then wait for the first board score results and see the overall performance.
Besides that, I still gotta say that we have SOME great faculty and there are others who need to upgrade from using ancient powerpoints. And as humans, there is only so much we can read in a day (yeah and dont give me that lecture about back in the day..) and this is the same thing with every single established school.

Ok, I just wanted to post this in order to start a discussion about issues at WCU-COM, . Feel free to discuss issues such as:

Cheeers

Cheeers

this is ridiculous. is anything ever going to change or get better? maybe someone could make a list of things that need to be changed and what they should be changed to

Last edited:
this is ridiculous. is anything ever going to change or get better? maybe someone could make a list of things that need to be changed and what they should be changed to

Unfortunately most of our concerns will not go through. A medical school affiliated with a separate undergrad wing doesn't help. Higher ups with no medical experience make decisions on how to run a medical school in the setting of a liberal arts major fashion. They are used to their own freshmen and students who arent professional seasoned students like medical students so their mentality is "these med students don't know anything and we are going to shoot down every proposal they have because I am older and have a Phd and that makes me know more." This hopefully will change when either they see terrible board scores or escalating complaints which may reach the AOA if reasonable concerns are being ignored and suppressed. And like I said before...this school has potential but not made to good use.

It just doesn't hurt to try. Even if nothing else is done, people will see whats going on on here (prospective students, faculty, staff, administration, COCA)

I'll start.
1) Attendance policy: Somebody has started a survey so it seems like we're already trying to do something about it.
2) Boards Prep: We could come up with a list of prep courses, options and then make another survey to see what the classes think.
3) Tuition: I don't see that changing other than going up and we don't have access to the financial information (or do we?) in order to show tuition should be lowered
4) Decision making: We need to find out how decisions are made, how changes are made and start taking action.
5) Internet problems: From the sound of the email, something is being done.

Add to the list or add options to the list if you have an idea. I'm sure we can come up with 20 things easy.

Unfortunately most of our concerns will not go through. A medical school affiliated with a separate undergrad wing doesn't help. Higher ups with no medical experience make decisions on how to run a medical school in the setting of a liberal arts major fashion. They are used to their own freshmen and students who arent professional seasoned students like medical students so their mentality is "these med students don't know anything and we are going to shoot down every proposal they have because I am older and have a Phd and that makes me know more." This hopefully will change when either they see terrible board scores or escalating complaints which may reach the AOA if reasonable concerns are being ignored and suppressed. And like I said before...this school has potential but not made to good use.

I remember seeing the graduation rate at wcu being around 50% when i filled out my fafsa. then again it is a liberal arts school.

It just doesn't hurt to try. Even if nothing else is done, people will see whats going on on here (prospective students, faculty, staff, administration, COCA)

I'll start.
1) Attendance policy: Somebody has started a survey so it seems like we're already trying to do something about it.
2) Boards Prep: We could come up with a list of prep courses, options and then make another survey to see what the classes think.
3) Tuition: I don't see that changing other than going up and we don't have access to the financial information (or do we?) in order to show tuition should be lowered
4) Decision making: We need to find out how decisions are made, how changes are made and start taking action.
5) Internet problems: From the sound of the email, something is being done.

Add to the list or add options to the list if you have an idea. I'm sure we can come up with 20 things easy.

in a rare turn of events dean lovins addressed the students in a most professional manner and tone via email today. could there be a sea change afoot? are we in store for being treated with respect as opposed to belittlement and threats?

in a rare turn of events dean lovins addressed the students in a most professional manner and tone via email today. could there be a sea change afoot? are we in store for being treated with respect as opposed to belittlement and threats?

No. The email was sent to faculty as well not just the students. If the email would've been sent to just to the students the tone definitely would've been demeaning. I wouldn't expect to be respected. Give it a day or two or wait until you see the next email sent to just the students.

I am of the opinion that if enough people understand what is going on and are willing to take action, anything can be accomplished. That said, abolishing the attendance policy is not feasible and that is ok. I do not mind meeting halfway. I just want them to meet us halfway as well.

Do you guys realize that having a negative thread composed entirely of people with less than 6 posts is kind of sketchy? Maybe you should try to grab some contributing members that are WCU students.

Do you guys realize that having a negative thread composed entirely of people with less than 6 posts is kind of sketchy? Maybe you should try to grab some contributing members that are WCU students.

we are students from wcucom.. students have made new usernames so that people at school dont figure out who is posting what. students have already gotten in trouble for communicating in other ways that reveal their identity so this isn't sketchy our eyes, its safe. if you decide to follow this thread, please provide any suggestions that work at your school and think might work at ours. thanks

This thread is pretty quiet. Did anyone get interview invitation?

Things have been fairly negative so far. Here's a different take from a current 2nd year.

Many other schools have some form of an attendance policy. COCA commended WCUCOM on its policy. Given that and the fact that there is research that links attendance in graduate programs with higher professional board scores, I don't see it going away. Not worth the effort and continuing to push admin on the issue is simply inflammatory and poisons future interactions.

Using AAMC data for 2011, average tuition for public med schools is $22,200 for in-state students and $42,300 for out of state. Private med school average is $40,800 and $42,100 respectively. I'd say $38,000 is reasonable for a private COM. Would I like to pay less? Of course, but I don't see it happening unless there is some form of government subsidy. As far as Harvard and Hopkins goes, if you feel they are a better value why are you not there?

The student government is actively working with admin on getting board prep classes/details nailed down. We have faculty that have written board questions in the past. Every professor I spoke with has reviewed board questions for their particulaIl times by faculty that they will be prepared and to focus on learning. Considering the average tenure of 20+ years in teaching among them, I think it could be reasonable advice. Personally, if nothing is decided by mid January, I'll start looking at a course on my own.

In regards to this, The Dean is where the buck stops like it or not. That said, any issues with policy or concerns should go through the student government first and then up to faculty, faculty congress, appropriate department chair etc.... When complaints circumvent this process, faculty and administration tend to get frustrated (rightly so) and the class officers that are tasked with advocating for us are caught off guard and become less effective. The appropriate process can take a while, but it does work. Example: Students felt the first year schedule was overloaded and disorganized. SGA talked with faculty congress, COCA and admin then worked cooperatively to facilitate changes. The result was a much more streamlined and effective schedule for the next class.

I'm enjoying school. I feel lucky to attend a COM that has brand new equipment and physical plant. I can be recognized and addressed personally by all the faculty, support staff and the Dean. There is little to no peer to peer competition and there is literally no one that I don't feel comfortable asking for help.

Bottom line for me. Positives far outweigh the negatives.

Things have been fairly negative so far. Here's a different take from a current 2nd year.

Many other schools have some form of an attendance policy. COCA commended WCUCOM on its policy. Given that and the fact that there is research that links attendance in graduate programs with higher professional board scores, I don't see it going away. Not worth the effort and continuing to push admin on the issue is simply inflammatory and poisons future interactions.

Can you offer a link to research that verifies this assertion?

we are students from wcucom.. students have made new usernames so that people at school dont figure out who is posting what. students have already gotten in trouble for communicating in other ways that reveal their identity so this isn't sketchy our eyes, its safe. if you decide to follow this thread, please provide any suggestions that work at your school and think might work at ours. thanks

Really? that is crappy as hell. nevermind. I take back my first comment. good luck to you guys.

Really? that is crappy as hell. nevermind. I take back my first comment. good luck to you guys.

I will have to add my 2 cents even though I am a lowly 1st year. I realized when I was accepted here that I was in the 2nd class and that meant that there would be a lot of issues that would have to be worked out "on the fly". The first few classes at WCUCOM will be the pioneers and will have to blaze the trail. This means that there will be problems and issues. This does not mean that I agree with everything the administration does but I will comply with it. I figure I have enough on my plate trying to get thru med school and I will let the Deans make the policies.

I am not a "homer". At this point in my life, I have long since overcome being intimidated by people. But I will give the respect and honor that is due a person because of position. I think we have the beginnings of something great here at WCUCOM, a school that will make a huge impact on this state and this region.

Just got my first interview at WCU!!! I am from florida

This is my second time applying (first at DO) and this is my first interview ever! I am so happy right now. Hoping for other interviews to come in soon!

Good luck everyone! For those who have interviewed, do you have any tips/advice? How was it?

Just got my first interview at WCU!!! I am from florida

This is my second time applying (first at DO) and this is my first interview ever! I am so happy right now. Hoping for other interviews to come in soon!

Good luck everyone! For those who have interviewed, do you have any tips/advice? How was it?

Just relax, if that is possible, and be yourself. If you get the chance to talk to any students, than take advantage if it. We will not be hard to miss.