How early is early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invictusx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I just had a question in regards to applying to dental school. How early is early? I know the application cycle opens up on June 1st.

Also, is there any way to update your resume and other accomplishments after having submitted the application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I just had a question in regards to applying to dental school. How early is early? I know the application cycle opens up on June 1st.

Also, is there any way to update your resume and other accomplishments after having submitted the application?

Thanks!

Early is generally considering June-July. And once you submit, you can only do a grade update for your summer/fall grades. Everything else is locked in. You're supposed to list all the activities and accomplishments you're planning on achieving in the application from now until when you start dental school.

Hey all!

Thanks!

"whats early" is a question with endless answers lol.... Because everyone defines "early" based purely on opinions.

Generally speaking, you wanna be in the first "few" batches out. The first batch of applications is usually sent out 3 weeks after AADSAS opens. With us, a new batch went out every Friday, and our first batch was June 25th.

IMO, if you are within the initial 6-8 batches, you are still early. Assuming only 500 applications go out in each early batch, that means, even if you were the 8th batch, thats only 3500 people a head of you (compared to the 12,000-13,000 that apply)

Members don't see this ad :)
"whats early" is a question with endless answers lol.... Because everyone defines "early" based purely on opinions.

Generally speaking, you wanna be in the first "few" batches out. The first batch of applications is usually sent out 3 weeks after AADSAS opens. With us, a new batch went out every Friday, and our first batch was June 25th.

IMO, if you are within the initial 6-8 batches, you are still early. Assuming only 500 applications go out in each early batch, that means, even if you were the 8th batch, thats only 3500 people a head of you (compared to the 12,000-13,000 that apply)

8th batch would be ~last week of July? Assuming every week = batch

8th batch would be ~last week of July? Assuming every week = batch

well...no

If you look at last cycles

1st patch = June 25th
2nd = July 2nd
3rd = July 10th
4th = July 17th
5th = July 24th
6th = July 31st
7th and 8th would be in August

This is ofc assuming they do 1 batch every week. I remember them doing that only early on... I don't know if they kept at it throughout the cycle...Mine was 3rd batch

well...no

If you look at last cycles

1st patch = June 25th
2nd = July 2nd
3rd = July 10th
4th = July 17th
5th = July 24th
6th = July 31st
7th and 8th would be in August

This is ofc assuming they do 1 batch every week. I remember them doing that only early on... I don't know if they kept at it throughout the cycle...Mine was 3rd batch

:) thank you.. that should give me good 2 months to study for the DATs after this semester ends.

Last edited:
:) thank you.. that should give me good 2 months to study for the DATs after this seamster ends.

Just remember, addsas will need 2-4 weeks AFTER you take the DAT to receive your official score... keep this in mind when you plan your date.

So if I take them end of July, would I be considered early?

Just remember, addsas will need 2-4 weeks AFTER you take the DAT to receive your official score... keep this in mind when you plan your date.

Like dentalworks said, "early" is a matter of opinions and is going to make a difference from person to person.

Every applicant's hope should be to be ready to turn in the application ASAP.

Your "application" consists of:
- your essays, EC activities, basic info, etc
- Recc letters
- transcript
- DAT scores

1. Already be working on PS so that all you have to do is copy-paste on the application
2. Have a list of EC activities ready with dates/hrs and a brief 150 word description so that - again - its easier to just fill up those forms
--At this point, YOU can HIT the Submit button, buuut your application is not complete until the following happens --
3. Your recc letters are in. STAY ON TOP OF YOUR PROFESSORS to do this.
4. Make sure your transcripts are in (AADSAS takes a couple of weeks to do their version of GPA and what not)
5. Your DAT scores will be turned in 2-3 weeks AFTER you take it.

So around 2-3 weeks after your transcripts are turned in and DAT is taken, is your application finally complete. At this point, it will be sent under the next "batch"

This is what I remember from my application cycle. I am assuming its about the same still. it seems like last year the batches went out more often than my year. So that's a good thing :)

Each person's situation is different.
If you take them end of July, the DAT scores will be sent out to schools 2-3 weeks after which means mid-END of August.

Schools start sending out invitations for interviews during mid July for interviews in August. So, just keep in mind people around you will be getting interviews while you are JUST waiting to get everything in.
If your scores are competitive, then it shouldnt be a problem because you should still be able to shine from the increased applications that are being turned in.
Its a numbers game. You turn in early... your chances are 1/100 applications. If you apply later, you will be one of 1/500... Don't know numbers, but you get the idea.

End of July means the scores wouldnt be there until around mid August. I say that's pushing it. You're not SUPER late but its not something I would do. If there was any way to take it earlier, I would do that.

My school ends June 10th and spring quarter grades are not posted until 15/16th usually. Does that mean no matter what I do, the earliest my DAT can be evaluated by schools is early July? (2 weeks after grades are released)

If so, there's no point in taking my DAT early in May, so I might as well take it mid June right after my finals.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school ends June 10th and spring quarter grades are not posted until 15/16th usually. Does that mean no matter what I do, the earliest my DAT can be evaluated by schools is early July? (2 weeks after grades are released)

If so, there's no point in taking my DAT early in May, so I might as well take it mid June right after my finals.

It would be nice nice to take the DAT in May and get it out of the way. But you're right, there's no other reason to take it that early if you spring grades arent released until the 15th. You should take the DAT around the beginning of June if you could actually because it takes like 2 weeks for the scores to get to AADSAS.

The earliest your application with DAT score would be evaluated is in early July.

I don't think I will be ready to take them any sooner. Maybe mid-July? Just wondering... how many applicant are accepted every year? I'm assuming most of these early applicants have good stats...so if they all get an interview, how many interview spots are left for those of us applying late? :(

http://www.adea.org/publications/Pages/OfficialGuide.aspx

You need to invest in one of those, hamptongirl!!!

I narrowed down schools based on whether they take out of state students and prereqs. Once you do that, you can look at stats of each school and compare yours to it :) it is very helpful to try and understand the numbers.

As for the interviews.
Its not that the people who apply in the beginning are the ones with good stats. Its just people who have everything organized and put together.
Like I said earlier, its a numbers game.

Assume each week, each school invites around 10 people

well in the beginning of the summer, say about 100 people apply while at the end of the summer more people, say 500 people apply.
The number of interview invites are the same.
Sooo, the advantage to applying early is that you have a 10/100 chance than 10/500.

or something like that :laugh:

But the flip side is... well you have to do well on your DATs too or there is no use in applying early (its half the chunk of what they look at other than your GPA). So it's just a balance. Get stuff in on time but make sure you do well on the DATs too :)

Try and get your app out in the first 2 weeks. That's early and you'll thank me later for doing so. My in-state school handed out pre-Dec. 1st interviews to ONLY June applicants.

Thank you icedspice & Huskk... Will get my app out in June (& DAT in July:xf: )

@Huskk: what in-state school is that?

PS. Sorry invictusx for hijacking your thread

Thank you icedspice & Huskk... Will get my app out in June (& DAT in July:xf: )

@Huskk: what in-state school is that?

PS. Sorry invictusx for hijacking your thread

Hahahaha, hamptongirl. Not a problem! Good job hijacking! You stole the words and questions out of my mouth!

http://www.adea.org/publications/Pages/OfficialGuide.aspx

You need to invest in one of those, hamptongirl!!!

I narrowed down schools based on whether they take out of state students and prereqs. Once you do that, you can look at stats of each school and compare yours to it :) it is very helpful to try and understand the numbers.

I have the 2009 ADEA D-school guide collecting dust lol. Do you think its worth getting the newer/2011 edition?

Dentalworks also posted this site... it compares avg & sci gpa + DAT AA with OSU (I believe those are 2010 or 2011 stats)
http://dent.osu.edu/admissions/compare.php

so i looked at some of the schools i'm interested in...

NYU
Overall GPA - 3.44 (3.39 in 2009)
Science GPA - 3.34 (3.44 in 2009)
DAT AA - 20.00 (20 in 2009)

UMDNJ
Overall GPA- 3.70 (3.47 in 2009) Seriously?!?
Science GPA - 3.50 (3.41 in 2009)
DAT AA - 19.75 (18.82 in 2009)

Temple
Overall GPA - 3.55 (3.31 in 2009)
Science GPA - 3.46 (3.17 in 2009)
DAT AA - 19.00 (18.82 in 2009)

BU
Overall GPA - 3.38 (3.26 in 2009)
Science GPA - 3.29 (3.17 in 2009)
DAT AA - 19.00 (19 in 2009)

Tufts
Overall GPA - 3.45 (3.43 in 2009)
Science GPA - 3.34 (3.36 in 2009)

Buffalo was pretty much the same....

I wonder if the 2011 stats are even higher. I'm getting so worried :scared:

I have the 2009 ADEA D-school guide collecting dust lol. Do you think its worth getting the newer/2011 edition?

Dentalworks also posted this site... it compares avg & sci gpa + DAT AA with OSU (I believe those are 2010 or 2011 stats)
http://dent.osu.edu/admissions/compare.php

so i looked at some of the schools i'm interested in...

NYU
Overall GPA - 3.44 (3.39 in 2009)
Science GPA - 3.34 (3.44 in 2009)
DAT AA - 20.00 (20 in 2009)

UMDNJ
Overall GPA- 3.70 (3.47 in 2009) Seriously?!?
Science GPA - 3.50 (3.41 in 2009)
DAT AA - 19.75 (18.82 in 2009)

Temple
Overall GPA - 3.55 (3.31 in 2009)
Science GPA - 3.46 (3.17 in 2009)
DAT AA - 19.00 (18.82 in 2009)

BU
Overall GPA - 3.38 (3.26 in 2009)
Science GPA - 3.29 (3.17 in 2009)

Tufts
Overall GPA - 3.45 (3.43 in 2009)
Science GPA - 3.34 (3.36 in 2009)

Buffalo was pretty much the same....

I wonder if the 2011 stats are even higher. I'm getting so worried :scared:

I wouldn't worry! It's not always about numbers!

Hey hamptongirl,
As long as you have one of the books, you should be fine. Having stats and the school information next to you helps with understanding the schools you wish to attend. Also, in case you have a question, you can always call them up with the contact info given. Making a excel spreadsheet with the schools you are interested in helps with the application process. You can keep track of whether you have turned in the $$, passport photo, secondaries, etc.

Other than just DAT scores and GPA, the book also helps with the personality of the school. It helped when I was writing down my secondary applications. Some schools pride themselves in diversity or some pride themselves in the volunteer work they do. In that way, you can focus your secondary application to focus on what they are looking for. It shows that you have done your homework on their school.

Haha, contrary to invictusx, I would say numbers do matter. Its not meant to scare you. I just dont want anyone to be lulled into thinking that gpa/dat is balanced off with the extracurriculars or your personality (thats my opinion). Your numbers are the primary way that the schools are able to filter through applications. Once you receive your interviews is when you will be able to show your personality and shine through :)

So, don't freak out. You have put in a lot of effort to make it so far, kudos to you :) Just focus on your application and studying for your DATs. I have always mentioned in my posts to have a positive outlook. Have confidence in yourself and you will do better in anything you set out to do.

Hey hamptongirl,
As long as you have one of the books, you should be fine. Having stats and the school information next to you helps with understanding the schools you wish to attend. Also, in case you have a question, you can always call them up with the contact info given. Making a excel spreadsheet with the schools you are interested in helps with the application process. You can keep track of whether you have turned in the $$, passport photo, secondaries, etc.

Other than just DAT scores and GPA, the book also helps with the personality of the school. It helped when I was writing down my secondary applications. Some schools pride themselves in diversity or some pride themselves in the volunteer work they do. In that way, you can focus your secondary application to focus on what they are looking for. It shows that you have done your homework on their school.

Haha, contrary to invictusx, I would say numbers do matter. Its not meant to scare you. I just dont want anyone to be lulled into thinking that gpa/dat is balanced off with the extracurriculars or your personality (thats my opinion). Your numbers are the primary way that the schools are able to filter through applications. Once you receive your interviews is when you will be able to show your personality and shine through :)

So, don't freak out. You have put in a lot of effort to make it so far, kudos to you :) Just focus on your application and studying for your DATs. I have always mentioned in my posts to have a positive outlook. Have confidence in yourself and you will do better in anything you set out to do.

Sure numbers do matter but what I'm saying is that it's not solely based off it. Those numbers are averages. There will be people above and below.

Sure numbers do matter but what I'm saying is that it's not solely based off it. Those numbers are averages. There will be people above and below.

agreed, those numbers only present 50%, meaning 25% get in with higher and 25% get in with lower stats. so if your on the low side you still have a 25% chance to get in. which aren't bad odds, if your a gambling person lol.

in addition, you might have a lower DAT score than the avg, but higher GPA than avg, then what? :) haha

For those who take the DAT in july, can't you just fax them the scores and submit your application in june? Of course they would need an official report in due time but I would think they can offer you and interview or not based on the copy.

Early is generally considering June-July. And once you submit, you can only do a grade update for your summer/fall grades. Everything else is locked in. You're supposed to list all the activities and accomplishments you're planning on achieving in the application from now until when you start dental school.
I actually have a question about that. I currently have like 5 job shadowing hours because I have been busy with school and work, etc. I plan on reaching 100+ hours of job shadowing experience, but that wouldn't be until after I take the DAT, which I am currently studying for (and taking June 28th). If I were to apply in early July should I say I have 100+ job shadowing hours if I plan on doing that?

I actually have a question about that. I currently have like 5 job shadowing hours because I have been busy with school and work, etc. I plan on reaching 100+ hours of job shadowing experience, but that wouldn't be until after I take the DAT, which I am currently studying for (and taking June 28th). If I were to apply in early July should I say I have 100+ job shadowing hours if I plan on doing that?

Well most schools require a letter of recommendation from a dentist and few require you to list the hours. So I guess play with the dice however you could.

Hey hamptongirl,

Thanks icedspice.:) You're right. I just have to glue my butt to a chair this summer and STUDY!

in addition, you might have a lower DAT score than the avg, but higher GPA than avg, then what? :) haha
lol I hope I prove you wrong in July. :xf:

When I was referring to DAT/GPA as being the main focus of the school, I wasn't referring to the data from the ADEA...
I just mean overall, one must focus on their school/DAT regardless of how many extracurricular activities/shadowing you try and do. You can only show your passion through so many volunteering hours and you can only learn so much by shadowing. SO, most of a persons time should be dedicated to improving their GPA/DAT because that's the best way for the schools to look at students in a "standardized" format.

SO yes, you can be within a raaange of scores if you are looking at the scores from the ADEA :)

Thanks icedspice.:) You're right. I just have to glue my butt to a chair this summer and STUDY!

good luck and keep strong. you got a whole family of sdn with whatever help and motivation you need :)

Can someone clarify this?:love:

For example, presenting at a research forum? How bad would it look though, if it didn't happen?? Wouldn't it be better to just stay safe and only write what you have accomplised?
Or do you mean like graduating with a minor that sort of accomplishment?

Can someone clarify this?:love:

After you E-Submit, the only sections you can changes are:

- Biographic Information
- Canadian DAT Scores
- Evaluators

You can't change these:
- Parent and Family Information
- Background Information
- Secondary School Information
- Disadvantaged Status
- Colleges Attended
- Coursework (unless instructed to do so by a Transcript Verification Department staff member, you can add new coursework during the AU in the fall)
- Professional Experience
- Academic Enrichment Programs
- Dentistry Experience; Extracurricular
- Volunteer, Community Service
- Leadership Activities
- Work Experience
- Research Experience
- Awards, Honors, Scholarships
- Personal Statement

As for listing all your activities from now until you start school, you don't want to do that. You can't just put stuff you think you'll accomplish in the next year.