MGH Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchen707

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an email inviting me to interview at MGH on 1/28. Anyone else attending the interview? Anyone interview there before that could offer some advice/insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I've also just received an invitation to interview at MGH - but on 2/4, which is really great because I already have an interview at UCSF/SFSU on 1/28 and I wouldn't want to have to choose at this point! :) It makes me wonder though how they decide whom to invite when: do they have access to the data about where we applied and where we accepted interview invitations?..

-----
Applied: USC, UCSF/SFSU, MGH, NYU, SMU, BU, Arcadia, Creighton
Interviews: NYU (12/10), UCSF/SFSU (1/28), MGH (2/4), Creighton (not going)
Accepted: USC
Rejections: none so far

Congrats - sounds like you two are building quite the list of options.

Does anyone know if all interview invitations are sent out at once, or rolled out in waves?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone wondering: I heard back from the MGH admissions office and was told that all invitations have been sent out. There is a possibility that more will be sent out in the new year if enough people turn down their interview invitation.

I just received an email inviting me to interview at MGH on 1/28. Anyone else attending the interview? Anyone interview there before that could offer some advice/insight?
I'll be there!

I'm going in for an interview on 2/4! Aimee said she'll be sending out information on the interview during the "next few weeks". Are any of you staying overnight the night before your interview?

Does anyone have tips or advice for the MGH DPT interview? :]

I'm going in for an interview on 2/4! Aimee said she'll be sending out information on the interview during the "next few weeks". Are any of you staying overnight the night before your interview?
]

I'll be flying in from San Francisco on 2/3 and staying at the Constitution Inn: it seems it should be something like a 10-minute walk from there to that building where we'll have the interview. If you're looking for a hotel, I had a couple of other suggestions: La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston-Somerville with a
24-hour airport shuttle ($89 per night).

See you there on 2/4! :)

thanks GB78 :] I'll look into your recommendations - congrats on your many interview invites btw!

Hey Everyone. Congrats on getting interviews! I'm a current student at Mgh-IHP. If you do a search there's a bunch of threads about the school aready. Here's a link to one I've posted in a bit.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=592241

If you don't feel like reading that, here's my previous comment about interviews.

"The interview is pretty straight forward. You'll meet with two different faculty members on the big day. They're pretty laid back here and really care about the students. One question that caught me off guard when I applied is that they asked where else I had applied. Otherwise, just come in prepared: know about the profession, the school, why you want to go to this school (i recommend bringing up their clinical education program if you can't think of something else), why PT, and why they should choose you. If you can, try to think of something unique about yourself for that last question. For the record: Most PT applicants like people and want to help them and are fairly athletic themselves...

I'm sure you will do just great, you've made it this far! The program here is great. The curriculum is well integrated and we get a lot of clinical experience. The faculty is excellent and recognized as experts in their fields. Many are also very involved in the APTA."

Any other specific questions, I'll try to check back to this thread. Or you can send me a PM.

-Kate

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone that had an interview this weekend: How was it? Did you enjoy the school? :)

hey abcdef01821

I had my interview yesterday and must say that I was very impressed. The faculty were not only cordial but very passionate about all things PT. I have no doubts that MGH will continue to produce some of the world's finest PTs. I hope to be one of them :p

Agreed! I was there Friday and I absolutely loved it! I don't think I could turn it down if offered a spot..so fingers crossed for us both!

I'm glad you both enjoyed your experience here! I really loved getting to meet many of the applicants. I wish you both the best of luck. Decisions should be out soon!!

Same here! Just got the acceptance email this afternoon (interviewed this past Friday 2/3). Definitely going to accept. I loved everything about the program.

I got accepted as well, and I'm definitely going. I was very impressed when I visited a few weekends ago, so I'm pretty excited! Congrats to you guys as well!

I wonder if ALL of the accepted students were called today? I didn't receive a call yet O_O

Hey kttdancer, were you part of the student panel on Saturday (Feb. 4th)?

I was one of the students there. There were technically 3 student panels, but my name is Kate if that helps.

Congrats to all of you! I'm glad you liked the program! Let me know if you have any further questions that will help with your decision or if you have questions about relocating, etc. I moved out here from Wisconsin when I started the program, so I've been there too!

I'm pretty sure they send e-mails and not make calls. However, I have no idea the timeline of when they get sent out. Don't lose hope yep!

I was waitlisted :/ any idea on many students get in off the waitlist? I'm devastated. This was my top choice and I don't have any other options.

Do they rank the list? That may help if you know your rank.

People DO get off of waitlists. It really depends on how many people who were accepted were also accepted elsewhere and decide to go there!

Good luck!

They told us not to call and ask what rank you are because they won't tell you so I have no idea if I should keep my hopes up or not.

I remember Dr. Portney mentioning that a couple years back, a student was admitted to the program on the FIRST DAY OF CLASS! Don't lose hope etnocelocin :p If anything, I'd submit a letter of continued interest to keep you on their radar (although this may be pointless if there's a numerical order to the waiting list).

Kttdancer, do you know how many students get offered a scholarship each year?

I don't remember that story about a student getting admitted the first day of class, it must've been prior to admissions 2008 since I know all the classes back to then.

I don't know the set number of scholarships, I do know a handful of my classmates that have one. I, unfortunately, am not one of them :(

Kttdancer, I think you should never lose sight of the joy of attending one of the best DPT programs in the country! By the way, thanks for your active involvement in this forum. You're awesome :]

I guess they were referring to a class prior to 2008, but I do clearly remember hearing it and thinking "that's just ridiculous! I can't imagine having to move, etc.etc. after such short notice." Must have been some great and surely unexpected news for whoever it was!

Aw, USCdeacon, you made me blush... Are you waitlisted? Do you have any acceptances elsewhere?

But seriously, I do love my school and I love talking with all the applicants on the boards! I am definitely on here more frequently Nov-March due to it being application time. But I always lurk.

I just found out I got accepted :] I'm currently debating between USC, MGH and UPitt. I feel like MGH is the most personal and clinically focused out of the three. I've got lots of thinking and praying to do!

I just found out I got accepted :] I'm currently debating between USC, MGH and UPitt. I feel like MGH is the most personal and clinically focused out of the three. I've got lots of thinking and praying to do!

I haven't ever considered UPitt, so I can't speak about it, but I've done a lot of thinking regarding such schools as MGH, USC, NYU, UCSF, Arcadia, BU, SMU & some others I eventually decided not to apply to, and I believe that even though many of these programs have a number of very attractive features, it's very difficult to beat MGH when one considers all the factors (anything from the quality and number of clinicals to the faculty to facilities to location & so on & so forth). Actually, when I submitted my application back in October I thought that my #1 choice would be UCSF, but after I interviewed at NYU and liked it a lot, I realized that in the case of UCSF I personally had been unduly influenced by less relevant factors. So I went back and made a very detailed list of all the factors I could think about (not forgetting to look at the curricula VERY attentively - I used to think that all the curricula at PT schools were pretty much the same and it is so not true!) and then ranked the programs once again. Let's just say I got a very different list (luckily for me, I did it long before I was rejected from UCSF :))) ). I think you should probably do the same, honestly admitting to yourself that there may be a number of factors that are particularly important to you personally that you do need to take into account because sometimes it's the little things that make us miserable and it's best not to neglect them! Best of luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Thanks GB78.

I agree that MGH is very difficult to beat, esp. when it comes to the clinical experiences tied to the program. There are some personal reasons that keep me from instantaneously jumping at the chance to go to school over in Boston, but the choice is becoming clearer with every passing moment.

Did you hear back from MGH yet? I wonder if we met on 2/4 and just don't know it!

[Did you hear back from MGH yet? I wonder if we met on 2/4 and just don't know it![/QUOTE]

We very probably did! :)) And I just don't understand what's going on with my signature - I thought it was automatically added so it would show that I did hear from MGH and it was good news! :)) Let's see what that signature does this time since it apparently has a mind of its own...:rolleyes:

Every once in a while, my classmates discuss who they remember meeting at interviews. A bunch of us even met at interviews at other schools prior to accepting here!

I love those small world moments.

Is anyone choosing/have any insight between MGH and BU? Also, what is it like going to MGH? At my Columbia interview, I felt a strong sense of community, especially between the members of each year (first year, second year etc). Is that what it is like at MGH? I know the program is beyond fantastic, but are you happy as a student there?
Thanks for your help!

Hey gpb- I'm a little confused. Weren't you at interviews? I feel like we all talked about the camaraderie the students have here as well as discussing our feelings about the program.

That said, I do love it here. We get to know the faculty really well and the others in my classes are some of my closest friends. There is time to get into the city though not as often as if you weren't a grad student :)

I don't know the exact date, but it's generally early June.

thanks, my problem is i walk in may of 2013 but dont technically graduate until after i complete my internship in the summer, which is from may 15th to july 27th 2013 so im currently trying to find programs that start after that date so i dont have to wait a year. i am coming to the sad realization that i might have to wait the extra year because all the programs i like, most start way before then. MGH is definitely one of my top choices as well.

Northeastern starts in January (I think this may be new for this admissions cycle), so that's one option if you're looking in Boston.

Is anyone deciding between BU and MGH? Any thoughts?

Is anyone deciding between BU and MGH? Any thoughts?

If after visiting MGH for an interview, you feel you don't yet have enough information to make a decision, I'd very strongly recommend you to visit BU since you already know what makes the 2 programs different and the only thing that can be missing is the "feel" you can get only when you actually visit the place, talk to the people there, etc. If you absolutely can't visit, I'd say the best thing would be to go back to comparing the 2 curricula starting with the courses the programs offer (they are not identical - just make a list); thinking more about how important you personally consider the 1-year long internship that MGH offers; if you are interested in research, see where you'd get more opportunities to be involved in what you are interested in; are rankings important to you? - you can find them online; one thing I learned talking to a current student is that at BU there are more students who are younger (more of them coming directly from undergrad as opposed to MGH)- is this what you prefer or would it be the opposite?..

But, honestly, if you're really unsure, I think visiting is the only thing that will help you feel secure about your decision.

Has anyone heard anything since the acceptance? I got confirmation that they received my deposit and FAFSA, but one email said I'd be hearing from the Office of Student Affairs and a background check agency. It's been a couple weeks and I haven't heard from either.

Has anyone heard anything since the acceptance? I got confirmation that they received my deposit and FAFSA, but one email said I'd be hearing from the Office of Student Affairs and a background check agency. It's been a couple weeks and I haven't heard from either.

Nope! I've only received those two emails as well.

Hey All-

I don't know if anyone is still checking this board now that acceptances are out, but my roommates are going to be gone for the summer so I have 2 sublets available for the summer. It's a good location with reasonable rent and will give you time to get to know the city before you find a place for the fall.

Last edited: