I need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureVet90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If i take summer courses, can i still graduate in my expected year if i wanted to or i have to graduate early?

my major is pre-vet and my gpa is a little low for vet school. im interested in ohio state vet program or texas a&m vet program. im a sophomore in college, 1.8 gpa (it has been increasing), and i've had 4 semesters so far. my expected year is 2015, but i hear if you take summer courses, you can graduate early. i'm considering summer courses so i can raise my gpa up but i dont want to graduate early because maybe i could get my gpa up to at least 3.5 by 2015.

is it possible to take summer courses and not graduate early?

what about doing a special masters program to help increase my gpa more?

note: i don't want to graduate early if don't want to. i just want to take summer courses to increase my gpa. my grades were horrible living at home. but now that i moved out in august 2011, my grades have improved. i got B,B,C,C in the fall 2011.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to talk to someone in your school about graduation procedures. It might vary from school to school, and if you are any kind of financial aid, that needs to be taken into consideration.

I also suggest something like http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm to calculate how long it will take you to raise a 1.8 to a 3.5. I'm going to guess something around 12 semesters of 4.0 GPAs, if you've already done two years of college work.. "BBCC" grades aren't going to cut if you are trying to raise a 1.8 GPA to anything remotely close to competitive for vet school- you need to start getting straight A's, as well as making sure you have vet experience hours, and you'll need to kick ass on the GRE as well. Vet schools want you to be able to handle a rigourous curriculum, no matter what obstacles get thrown in your way.

A masters won't help you at this point in time. You need A's in your prereqs and in your advanced science courses. Many schools won't look at your Masters when calculating your GPA.

I also suggest you keep your mind open about different vet schools. Vet schools are highly competitive, and if you are overcoming a low GPA, you want to choose schools that will look at your application as a whole. Also look at tuition rates, and which schools accept a lot of out of state students.

You have a long road ahead of you. It's not hopeless, but it will take a LOT of hard work on your part. Figure out why you haven't been getting A's, find tutors, change your study habits, whatever it takes.

Cowgirla has given you great advice. I just want to put into perspective for you that Ohio State won't even look at your application if your GPA is below a 2.8 if you're in state or a 3.0 if you're out of state. You're going to really have to kick it in gear if you want to apply to vet school in the next couple of years. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
@cowgirl

thank you so much. living back at home, not being able to concentrate, and procrastination is what caused my poor grades. yes, BBCC isnt the best and i beat myself up about it, but it's better than my past grades. i'm determined to get A's and i will be looking at new study habits.

i do need to start volunteering. it's kind of hard to get involved when i don't have transportation or a driver's license at age 21.

but i'll keep pushing on and get these grades together. i want to retake the D in biology and C in chemistry for the summer semester.

If i take summer courses, can i still graduate in my expected year if i wanted to or i have to graduate early?

my major is pre-vet and my gpa is a little low for vet school. im interested in ohio state vet program or texas a&m vet program. im a sophomore in college, 1.8 gpa (it has been increasing), and i've had 4 semesters so far. my expected year is 2015, but i hear if you take summer courses, you can graduate early. i'm considering summer courses so i can raise my gpa up but i dont want to graduate early because maybe i could get my gpa up to at least 3.5 by 2015.

is it possible to take summer courses and not graduate early?

what about doing a special masters program to help increase my gpa more?

note: i don't want to graduate early if don't want to. i just want to take summer courses to increase my gpa. my grades were horrible living at home. but now that i moved out in august 2011, my grades have improved. i got B,B,C,C in the fall 2011.

1.8gpa "a little low for vet school"? Are some of these low grades in required courses? I would maybe look into retaking any of those courses that are C and under over the summer, and not think about trying to graduate early. A 1.8 to a 3.5 in 2 years is going to be tough, even with summer classes. You can take summer courses and not graduate early---you'll just graduate with more credits. But you need to get rid of those low grades and prove you can handle an upper level course load.

Also, do you have any veterinary experience? I know at least for Ohio, that is a huge part of your application, not just gpa.

1.8gpa "a little low for vet school"? Are some of these low grades in required courses? I would maybe look into retaking any of those courses that are C and under over the summer, and not think about trying to graduate early. A 1.8 to a 3.5 in 2 years is going to be tough, even with summer classes. You can take summer courses and not graduate early---you'll just graduate with more credits. But you need to get rid of those low grades and prove you can handle an upper level course load.

Also, do you have any veterinary experience? I know at least for Ohio, that is a huge part of your application, not just gpa.

i live in ohio :)

yes, i plan on taking classes that i didn't do well in over the summer. i also plan on trying to volunteer at a animal shelter this summer. it's kind of hard to get involved like i want to because of no driver's license and no transportation.

Summer courses are very good because you are just taking one course at a time, though they can be intensive. If you take summer courses, make sure you devote yourself to them completely. By taking summer courses you then won't have to take as heavy a course load during the regular semesters which should make it easier to do well then, too. As I've often thought for people who go to college and don't do well right off, maybe a little time out from academia is in order to just do the volunteering and working with animals and vets and then go back to school when you can handle these difficult courses. The vet schools will see the time away has helped you to mature and be a better student rather than to continue getting 1.8's and B-C semesters.

I'm sure you've gotten this vibe already, but a 1.8 is not "a little low." That's very, very low. Actually, I think that could get me kicked out of university where I attend - I'm surprised you're not on academic warning or anything. You really need above a 3.0 to be at least competitive among schools in the US, and really, above a 3.5 to be really competitive.

I ran the numbers to raise your GPA. If you have taken 15 hours a semester for the last four semesters, you are going to need to get 102 hours of As in courses in order to pull your GPA up to a 3.5. A 3.3 is slightly more realistic with where you are within your degree - it just requires 65 hours of straight As. That will be hard, and you're really starting from a poor place if you have no veterinary hours right now, either.

Personally I would suggest that you work your butt off this spring semester to see if you can achieve As in your courses. If you can't do straight As from now, your GPA is simply not going to be competitive for US schools. You could probably apply abroad (Caribbean) if you're in the high 2.0s... but even that would require very nearly straight As, with a sprinkle of Bs. As you've heard, BBCC simply will not cut it.

I would personally suggest against taking summer classes this upcoming summer session. You don't have any veterinary experience - you should try and get a job or volunteer intensively in a practice (or two!) to figure out if the career is even for you. If you volunteer and learn that you actually aren't really interested in veterinary medicine, you can focus your energies elsewhere. You aren't a competitive applicant until you have experience, anyway, so no point in killing yourself for grades if you don't know if it's what you want.

I'm sure you've gotten this vibe already, but a 1.8 is not "a little low." That's very, very low. Actually, I think that could get me kicked out of university where I attend - I'm surprised you're not on academic warning or anything. You really need above a 3.0 to be at least competitive among schools in the US, and really, above a 3.5 to be really competitive.

I ran the numbers to raise your GPA. If you have taken 15 hours a semester for the last four semesters, you are going to need to get 102 hours of As in courses in order to pull your GPA up to a 3.5. A 3.3 is slightly more realistic with where you are within your degree - it just requires 65 hours of straight As. That will be hard, and you're really starting from a poor place if you have no veterinary hours right now, either.

Once again, though ... it all depends. You *have* to look at how each school does application processing. You could have a ten-year history of F's, but if your last 45 credits and your pre-req classes were straight A's and you did awesome on the GRE ... you're going to be at the top of the academic heap where I go to school (for instance). (Which is not to say that you wouldn't have to explain the history of F's, just that from an application scoring perspective you'd be fine academically.)

Your calculation is just a cumulative GPA. For this person, the key would be looking at schools that don't use a cum-GPA, or that at least use other GPA calculations as well. Or that weight the GRE high.

That said, it doesn't change your overall advice: this person has to get solid grades from here on out. But straight A's probably aren't necessary if the OP is very careful about the schools to which he or she applies.

And, I don't want to take away from what other people said. Rolling a 1.8 GPA says something is wrong academically. No matter what, the OP has to figure that problem out.

Personally I would suggest that you work your butt off this spring semester to see if you can achieve As in your courses. If you can't do straight As from now, your GPA is simply not going to be competitive for US schools. You could probably apply abroad (Caribbean) if you're in the high 2.0s... but even that would require very nearly straight As, with a sprinkle of Bs. As you've heard, BBCC simply will not cut it.

I would personally suggest against taking summer classes this upcoming summer session. You don't have any veterinary experience - you should try and get a job or volunteer intensively in a practice (or two!) to figure out if the career is even for you. If you volunteer and learn that you actually aren't really interested in veterinary medicine, you can focus your energies elsewhere. You aren't a competitive applicant until you have experience, anyway, so no point in killing yourself for grades if you don't know if it's what you want.

i'm on academic probation. i'm determined to get A's this semester, so i should be in good standing when the term ends.

i also want to note that my cum gpa is 1.8 and my term gpa is 2.5.

the schools that i'm interested in is ohio state university, penn veterinary medicine school, and texas a&m.

i might think about doing post bac to help my gpa even more.

it's kind of hard to get involved like i would like to since i have no transportation (as i stated earlier) and no one to really depend on. i wanted to volunteer at a animal shelter and i also wanted to check and see if petsmart was hiring. but with no transportation and not enough help, :thumbdown:

this is part 2 of this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=879282

i was thinking about doing a post bac program after graduating to help my gpa. has anyone done this before? and when is it recommended to take the GRE? should i take it after graduating?

can you give me some tips for preparing for vet school? (animal experience, letters of recommendations, interviews, preparing for the GRE, calculating math/science gpa, etc.)

note: i'm interested in ohio state, penn vet program, and texas a&m

my cum gpa is 1.8
my term gpa 2.5
i'm in the process of bringing up my gpa. now that i'm on campus, i could focus better.
i'm still thinking about retaking the D in biology and C in chemistry this summer.

Part 2 of this thread would probably have fit neatly into Part 1.

Absolutely none of the advice from Part 1 is irrelevant now.

Your grades need to be drastically improved before you focus any energy on pretty much any of the other things you've mentioned.

Grades, grades, grades. That's your mantra. Finish a semester with respectable grades and then you can start thinking about next steps.

But double threads about applying to Penn with a sub 2.0 GPA is a ridiculous waste of your time, and ours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part 2 of this thread would probably have fit neatly into Part 1.

Absolutely none of the advice from Part 1 is irrelevant now.

Your grades need to be drastically improved before you focus any energy on pretty much any of the other things you've mentioned.

Grades, grades, grades. That's your mantra. Finish a semester with respectable grades and then you can start thinking about next steps.

But double threads about applying to Penn with a sub 2.0 GPA is a ridiculous waste of your time, and ours.

ok......

what do you think about a post bac program to improve gpa?

i'm on academic probation. i'm determined to get A's this semester, so i should be in good standing when the term ends.

i also want to note that my cum gpa is 1.8 and my term gpa is 2.5.

the schools that i'm interested in is ohio state university, penn veterinary medicine school, and texas a&m.

i might think about doing post bac to help my gpa even more.

it's kind of hard to get involved like i would like to since i have no transportation (as i stated earlier) and no one to really depend on. i wanted to volunteer at a animal shelter and i also wanted to check and see if petsmart was hiring. but with no transportation and not enough help, :thumbdown:

Those are pretty hard schools to get into. I applied to the OSU, am pretty much rejected, and I have a fair amount of vet hours and my gpa > 3.3. Id say you should really consider saving money applying multiple times and aim for carribean schools (even though I believe those will be getting harder). Also, volunteering and working at those places isn't "vet hours", which Ohio really values too. I'd say read up on what it takes to get into these schools. VMSAR is a good start.

He's saying just focus on your undergrad work right now. If you can pull your GPA to competitive levels by the time you apply, also apply to post-bacc programs while you apply to vet school. That way, if you're rejected you'll have that next year of coursework to fall to. But don't focus your efforts on that at the moment, just beast your upcoming coursework and start getting some vet experience.

He's saying just focus on your undergrad work right now. If you can pull your GPA to competitive levels by the time you apply, also apply to post-bacc programs while you apply to vet school. That way, if you're rejected you'll have that next year of coursework to fall to. But don't focus your efforts on that at the moment, just beast your upcoming coursework and start getting some vet experience.

thank you.

Take an hour or two and really go back and read the old posts on this board.

99% of your questions have been answered in excruciating detail many, many times.

Look at the 'accepted stats' thread, specifically for the schools you named, and take a very honest look at where you currently stand in comparison.

When you head back to school in a few weeks, the vast majority of your focus needs to be on the proximate, day to day work of being academically successful. Talking about post-bacc and GRE scores is completely irrelevant to your current situation.

Once again, though ... it all depends. You *have* to look at how each school does application processing. You could have a ten-year history of F's, but if your last 45 credits and your pre-req classes were straight A's and you did awesome on the GRE ... you're going to be at the top of the academic heap where I go to school (for instance). (Which is not to say that you wouldn't have to explain the history of F's, just that from an application scoring perspective you'd be fine academically.)

Your calculation is just a cumulative GPA. For this person, the key would be looking at schools that don't use a cum-GPA, or that at least use other GPA calculations as well. Or that weight the GRE high.

That said, it doesn't change your overall advice: this person has to get solid grades from here on out. But straight A's probably aren't necessary if the OP is very careful about the schools to which he or she applies.

And, I don't want to take away from what other people said. Rolling a 1.8 GPA says something is wrong academically. No matter what, the OP has to figure that problem out.

I think it is the very rare school that doesn't utilize or decently weigh cum. GPAs. Obviously you attend one, but how many others are there? I know of UMN and LSU. And consider that she says she has a D and C in biology and chem already, so her pre-req GPA is going to be pulled down by those numbers right from the get-go. While it is definitely a good plan to apply strategically, I would stress trying to make oneself competitive for as many schools as possible with such a low GPA.

I sincerely think that straight A's - not mainly A's with maybe a B or two every semester - are necessary for her to be decently competitive. Maintaining even a 3.8 GPA from now on would mean it would take 91 more hours to just get a 3.0 cum, which is a minimum requirement for many schools. A&M requires a 2.9 cum to apply, Ohio a 2.8, and I don't think Penn has a requirement... but these numbers mean As are necessary if she wants to even be able to apply to those schools and graduate within a reasonable 120ish credit hours.

I need help! Pt 3.

If I use a big font, will it help me get in, and if I post a lot of different threads will I be guaranteed a spot in nyet school?

Like I said in the other thread, all the post-bacc work in the world is not going to help you if schools are looking at your "pre-req" GPA - aka, your basic bios, chems, physics, orgo, etc. If you have a D in a required class, you NEED to retake it- no ifs, ands, or buts.
Like Dsmoody said, you need to worry about where you are now and start fixing things, and stop looking for a way to make this easier. You got yourself into this situation, only hard work will get you out of it if vet school is your goal.

Like I said in the other thread, all the post-bacc work in the world is not going to help you if schools are looking at your "pre-req" GPA - aka, your basic bios, chems, physics, orgo, etc. If you have a D in a required class, you NEED to retake it- no ifs, ands, or buts.
Like Dsmoody said, you need to worry about where you are now and start fixing things, and stop looking for a way to make this easier. You got yourself into this situation, only hard work will get you out of it if vet school is your goal.

i haven't taken any of my REQUIRED math and science classes yet.

Er.... Basic bio and Chem ARE prereqs to most people. And yes most schools will absolutely NOT take your D in basic bio. Unless its biology for the normal citizen or rocks for jocks (geology 101)

Biology and Chemistry are required by all vet schools.... so yes, those will go into your Science, Pre-Req, and cumulative GPAs. Plus you MUST retake bio, because they won't even look at your app with a D. Go to the vet schools websites and do some research on what they require and you will see every class must be passed with a C or higher, and that is NOT what it takes to be competitive.

Edit: Sorry TigerW, must have posted at the same time.

Er.... Basic bio and Chem ARE prereqs to most people. And yes most schools will absolutely NOT take your D in basic bio. Unless its biology for the normal citizen or rocks for jocks (geology 101)

Oh ok.

even though the D in basic biology and C in basic chem will be on my transcript, i'm still considering to retake them in the summer.

So take some more required courses, do well, and come back to see us with a cumulative GPA of ~2.8...

You seem to be pretty nonchalant about all this. You've got a lot of work ahead of you if you want things to work out. No sense in worrying about post-bacc programs - worry about your undergrad program first.

It seems to me (and to others, I'm sure) like you are terribly unconcerned and are looking for an easy way out or something. I can't see you succeeding with your current attitude. I think you'll have trouble even graduating with a degree. Maybe you'll be able to work in retail...

Prove me wrong! (<--- a challenge! C'mon. Do it. Chicken?)

Biology and Chemistry are required by all vet schools.... so yes, those will go into your Science, Pre-Req, and cumulative GPAs.

Ha! Beat you to it, Emiloo! Cept I inserted wise crack comment

Oh ok.

even though the D in basic biology and C in basic chem will be on my transcript, i'm still considering to retake them in the summer.

No vet school will take anything less than a C in a required course, you you basically have to retake the D. Plus, don't you need to pass the basic courses in order to move on in a series?

Do the words 'organic chemistry' inspire any sort of fear response?

So take some more required courses, do well, and come back to see us with a cumulative GPA of ~2.8...

You seem to be pretty nonchalant about all this. You've got a lot of work ahead of you if you want things to work out. No sense in worrying about post-bacc programs - worry about your undergrad program first.

It seems to me (and to others, I'm sure) like you are terribly unconcerned and are looking for an easy way out or something. I can't see you succeeding with your current attitude. I think you'll have trouble even graduating with a degree. Maybe you'll be able to work in retail...

how am i being nonchalant?

i'm asking for advice to bring my gpa more. i know that i have to get all A's from this day forward and i am thinking about my undergrad program first. i wanted to get my gpa up even higher by doing a post bac after graduating, just in case the gpa isnt where i need it to be.

if i wasn't so concerned about my academic situation, i wouldn't be asking for advice.

Hey! As a previous "model" (aka sales floor person) for Abercrombie and Fitch, I resent you saying retail is for idiots! ....... okmaybeitis. But I could only stand the other idiots for about a month.

No vet school will take anything less than a C in a required course, you you basically have to retake the D. Plus, don't you need to pass the basic courses in order to move on in a series?

Do the words 'organic chemistry' inspire any sort of fear response?

---__---

i haven't taken any of the Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math courses needed for admission into Vet School yet.

---__---

i haven't taken any of the Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math courses needed for admission into Vet School yet.
Maybe we aren't understanding you. What EXACTLY is this bio course called and Chem course? Mine was bio 120, organismal and cell bio.

---__---

Not that I feel like giving this any more attention than we have already wasted, but what biology and chemistry classes have you taken if they weren't the ones required for vet school?? Because if you got a D and C in "jock" classes as TigerWillow mentioned lol, than no offense, but you are just not cut out for the rigourous academia of vet school... or college. That is, if you really put effort into these classes.

Is this like a comedian troll or something... I'm kind of confused....???:troll:

Edit:... damn you again TigerW lol

Maybe we aren't understanding you. What EXACTLY is this bio course called and Chem course? Mine was bio 120, organismal and cell bio.

the D in biology was: biology 1505 biology and modern world

the C in chem was: chem 1500 chemistry in modern living

The basic bio is generally a requirement, and that's what everyone thought you meant when you said 'biology.'

Basically, I think the consensus you'll get here is to take things one step at a time.... or at least one semester at a time. You are about to start the spring 2012 semester, yes? What are you enrolled in? Have you given some thought to what made your previous semesters so challenging, and how you will improve in the future? Do you have a study plan, will you seek a tutor, do you have trouble focusing? In short, HOW will you make those 'straight As' happen for you?

You need a game plan.

Tell us what you are taking, and tell us what you think made it so difficult for you to succeed in the past, and maybe we can help you out.

This thread is orgasmal

Yes. My new iPhone is quite quick :) apparently I type superman fast.

And believe me, I thought my bio course was called orgasmal too when i first saw it. I'm like, what fool school did I just pay thousands of dollars for again?

I think the OP needs to talk to an advisement counselor bc with receiving those grades in THOSE courses, maybe a different career path is necessary. Or at least a wake up call to what the OP strengths and weaknesses are. I worked with the dean who was in charge of the premed advisors, and they get paid lots of money to help you

The basic bio is generally a requirement, and that's what everyone thought you meant when you said 'biology.'

Basically, I think the consensus you'll get here is to take things one step at a time.... or at least one semester at a time. You are about to start the spring 2012 semester, yes? What are you enrolled in? Have you given some thought to what made your previous semesters so challenging, and how you will improve in the future? Do you have a study plan, will you seek a tutor, do you have trouble focusing? In short, HOW will you make those 'straight As' happen for you?

You need a game plan.

Tell us what you are taking, and tell us what you think made it so difficult for you to succeed in the past, and maybe we can help you out.

yes i am enrolled in spring 2012. i'm a sophomore and will going in to my 5th semester. my previous semesters were horrible while living with my mom. i moved on campus in august 2011 and my grades in fall 2011 were better than my previous ones. i got BBCC, it wasnt the best but i did a good job while living on my own.

even though i could focus better since i moved out, i do need to figure out a study plan.

this spring 2012 i am taking:

survey of art history
speech
intro to trignometry
intro to world religions
history of motion pictures

yes i am enrolled in spring 2012. i'm a sophomore and will going in to my 5th semester. my previous semesters were horrible while living with my mom. i moved on campus in august 2011 and my grades in fall 2011 were better than my previous ones. i got BBCC, it wasnt the best but i did a good job while living on my own.

even though i could focus better since i moved out, i do need to figure out a study plan.

this spring 2012 i am taking:

survey of art history
speech
intro to trignometry
intro to world religions

Are these gen Ed courses? My film class I was taking for fun. But I had the bulk of prereqs done. Whats your major? Have you mapped out a plan with your counselor? Do you know where the office is? Some Of your tuition goes to them so you should take advantage of that

Are these gen Ed courses? My film class I was taking for fun. But I had the bulk of prereqs done. Whats your major? Have you mapped out a plan with your counselor? Do you know where the office is? Some Of your tuition goes to them so you should take advantage of that

these are for fun:

intro to world religion
survey of art history

i have to take before taking calc: intro to trignometry

required class: speech

and my major is pre-vet. i have a minor in chemistry

these are for fun:

intro to world religion
survey of art history

i have to take before taking calc: intro to trignometry

required class: speech

Why are you taking 3 classes for fun? Don't you have science pre-reqs to complete? Most people have the majority of pre-reqs finished by junior year. You need to contemplate taking bio I + II, gen chem I + II, orgo I + II, possibly biochem, possibly calc, possibly nutrition...etc, etc. I would focus on getting the pre-reqs right now before you start taking classes for your general enjoyment.