2012-2013 University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
KS resident but very strong ties to SC ... worth applying here with 3.77/3.60/33? Thanks!!

Edit: Oh and why is the average MCAT so low here, at least according to the SDN spreadsheet?

I think it has to do with the fact that all SC Medical Schools are state-assisted. And take mostly IS. The requirements for IS is much lower than OOS.

KS resident but very strong ties to SC ... worth applying here with 3.77/3.60/33? Thanks!!

Edit: Oh and why is the average MCAT so low here, at least according to the SDN spreadsheet?

If you have strong ties to SC, I think you should apply.

I haven't gotten a single email from them...NOTHING, not even an acknowledgement of receiving my app

does anyone have the secondary prompts?

Their secondary is more like a worksheet. You have a few lines to describe your medical practice goals and what has changed if you're a re-applicant. Its one of the shortest secondaries I have seen.

Their secondary is more like a worksheet. You have a few lines to describe your medical practice goals and what has changed if you're a re-applicant. Its one of the shortest secondaries I have seen.

Do they ask any detailed questions about residency status?

Do they ask any detailed questions about residency status?

They do. They ask if you are a resident and if you are not they ask you about your connection to the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invitation received today for Sept 12th!

I just want to make sure I am doing the application correctly.. The supplemental application is the one that they send you a link for. In the application, there aren't any essay questions, just the short answer questions. Is there other parts to the application that I am missing? One more thing, when they ask " what region of the country do you want to practice and why" I am sure most of us would like to practice in the states we are from. But like many other schools, this one also want people from S.C so that they can stay and practice there once they become. I am sure it would look really odd if I say I want to practice in S.C (I am from the other side of the US:) But I have a really strong interest in primary care for rural/underserved areas. So if I say I want to practice anywhere I am needed (and expand on it). Would that be good enough? Anyt thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I just want to make sure I am doing the application correctly.. The supplemental application is the one that they send you a link for. In the application, there aren't any essay questions, just the short answer questions. Is there other parts to the application that I am missing? One more thing, when they ask " what region of the country do you want to practice and why" I am sure most of us would like to practice in the states we are from. But like many other schools, this one also want people from S.C so that they can stay and practice there once they become. I am sure it would look really odd if I say I want to practice in S.C (I am from the other side of the US:) But I have a really strong interest in primary care for rural/underserved areas. So if I say I want to practice anywhere I am needed (and expand on it). Would that be good enough? Anyt thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

There weren't any long essay questions on mine either - so I don't think you're missing anything. As for your where to practice answer, I think you should talk about how SC fits into your goals. I don't know if that would be "good enough" but I don't think it would hurt.

I forgot to post I got an invite about a month ago for next week. OS 32/ 3.75 with very strong ties.

good luck at your interview! i had mine yesterday. everyone was very nice and welcoming. they really try to make it less stressful

Hello everyone!
I'm an MI here and I wanted to shout a good luck to all of you. I would be happy to answer your questions regarding the interview and school in general (if there is any). I check my SDN account once or twice a week between break from studying!

Has anyone heard anything yet from this school?? I thought we were supposed to find out earlier on in the week..

Thanks! I was complete on 7/17, interview on 9/3. >3.9 39 IS with a good bit of research, clinical experience and good LOR

Received the "continuing to be evaluated" letter in the mail today. Any idea of what my chances are? I interviewed last week and thought my interviews went very well...

Did anyone get the email about the Gamecock Gathering?
Is anyone going?

First interview offer! Interview scheduled for Jan 9th. IS with 33Q and 3.7 GPA.

Anybody who interviewed here care to share what the interview was like?

Anybody who interviewed here care to share what the interview was like?

Pretty laid back. Tour of the hospital, lunch and then interviews (I had two). They meet right after the interviews are conducted.

PM me if you want some details.

Interviewed earlier this month. Very laid back interview. The tour of the hospital to start seemed unnecessary, but I think they are trying to reassure they still have clerkships for everyone. I really liked the students we were introduced to and the interviews were very conversational.

They said they leave at the end of this week for the holiday so everyone from December interviews should be notified this week.

Has anybody who interviewed last week heard anything from them yet?
They said they would notify us this week regardless of their decision.

For anyone still wondering, I received my "continuing to be evaluated" letter the week after my Oct. 31 interview. Got the acceptance call last week. IS/32/3.7

Accepted today via phone call! Received "continuing to be evaluated" letter at the end of December.

For the ones who have been accepted IS, what were your stats, etc?

3.66 Engineering, 31... Took it once three years ago and decided to run with it :/

Edited to add

A stellar MCAT & GPA have a lot in common with those on the average side: They will give you an interview and leave you at the door to fend for yourself. Beyond that, you're on your own.

I can only speak for myself and maybe those who aren't exactly confident with their numbers, so I offer the following unsolicited advice: You need not worry about scores you may perceive as being inadequate. Doing so will only foster insecurity, and that can make you do and say embarrassing things at the very worst possible time to do and say embarrassing things. What they gauge with numbers is your aptitude for handling med school, and they know that people walking in with a 27 MCAT have done just as well as the rest of the class.

With that box checked off, they turn their attention completely to you, in the flesh. Some admission processes have a kind of scale where the stats are empirically measured (and interview performance is converted to a number as well), with varying emphasis placed on particular things. But to my understanding, USC takes a much more subjective approach.

You know that guy who works an office job, lives in the suburbs, and drives a spotless F250 with a lift kit and offroad tires? You think to yourself, "man, what is he compensating for?" Don't make your interviewer ask this question!

For more information on this and other mistakes I've made, PM me :p

Last edited:
Has anyone from the January 23rd interview group heard anything (other than the hold letter)? I really loved the people I met that day & wish everyone the best of luck! :thumbup::luck::luck::luck:

Accepted yesterday via phone call! Interviewed Jan 30th: IS, 3.5 GPA, 31Q MCAT

Accepted yesterday via phone call! Interviewed Jan 30th: IS, 3.5 GPA, 31Q MCAT

OOS applicant, california. Zero ties to SC, with average stats, 3.7, 30. URM. should i even bother the next cycle.?

I don't know. To be honest, the state schools in SC accept funding from the state government, so they give preference to applicants with strong ties to SC or plans to one day practice there. If you don't want to stay in SC I don't think they'd consider your application very seriously. USC-Greenville, however is much more accepting of OOS applicants (their class contains about 25% OOS versus USC-Columbia's 10%), So applying there might be a good idea.

Received my acceptance Friday (3/22). I forgot to post it earlier. lol.

Does anyone know if there is a facebook group yet for our class?

What are your chances if you are on the first third of the waitlist? I heard it is a near definite acceptance. I think over the past 5 or so years they have admitted the first third. I could be wrong.

Also they made the thirds smaller this year for whatever reason. Any thoughts why they would?

My guess is that they have had more people commit to their class already. That would mean there is less room for turnover in the class.

Accepted today. Interviewed back in October, IS 3.7/30S.

Status
Not open for further replies.