**** The Official Penn Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

tigers22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I didn't see a thread for Penn yet so I decided to start one.... Anyone had an interview yet?....

Members don't see this ad.

I could be mistaken, but I didn't see a thread for Penn yet so I decided to start one.... Anyone had an interview yet?....

lots of people have had interviews. they are done with pre december interviews, as in theyre booked thru dec1st already

I am interviewing at penn on november 8th!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I took my DAT at the end of august, but my aadsas app was submitted in early July. I got a supplemental like 2nd week of september and they offered me an interview like 2 weeks after I sent that in for november. So they were pretty quick about getting back to me once I have everything in.

I just got a letter a few days ago from them saying that my app is now complete with supp app and app fee and all.

*cross fingers*

congrats everyone and good luck :)

Interviewing Nov. 9th... And my essays were about 4 pages... There's no length requirement so I just did what I felt I needed to really explain all my answers to the questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted everything a while ago. Did everyone receive a snail mail letter confirming completion of their application? My DAT scores should have gotten to them around 10/20 or so... not hearing from them is making me nervous, but if they do things by snail mail then maybe that's why I haven't received the "application complete" letter? (or maybe it's because of my 20 AA haha)

Good luck everyone on your interviews!

I submitted everything a while ago. Did everyone receive a snail mail letter confirming completion of their application? My DAT scores should have gotten to them around 10/20 or so... not hearing from them is making me nervous, but if they do things by snail mail then maybe that's why I haven't received the "application complete" letter? (or maybe it's because of my 20 AA haha)

Good luck everyone on your interviews!
My DAT arrived in October and I received an application complete email about a week after that. I submitted my application long before I took my DAT though, so that may have been why I got the letter so soon. I got a 20AA too, so it's definitely not that haha. don't worry, you'll get yours soon!

I also received a interview, but I scheduled in January since they were booked. I was wondering if anyone knew how the Dean's Scholarship worked ... to they hand out all of the them in December or are they reserved for applicants along the way as well? Thanks.

Hey everyone!

Best of luck this week, as you wait to hear back from schools. The upper classmen at UPenn are extremely excited to meet you all.
Here's your official Penn Dental Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/226085390857287/

Congratulations on your acceptance!
GO QUAKERS
:thumbup:

Got packageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee in mail#$@%@$#%$#%

I'm in!!!!!! I feel so honored. This is going to be a hard decision.

Congrats to those accepted.

I just had a quick question. I'm interviewing at Penn later this week and was wondering if its a 'no-no' to mentioned that specializing was a 'reason' for being attracted to Penn as a school. I definitely would like to pursue some form of specialization, but I'm not sure if they look down upon that as a response since I'm sure many people give that response. Thanks.

I just had a quick question. I'm interviewing at Penn later this week and was wondering if its a 'no-no' to mentioned that specializing was a 'reason' for being attracted to Penn as a school. I definitely would like to pursue some form of specialization, but I'm not sure if they look down upon that as a response since I'm sure many people give that response. Thanks.

Thats great you have an interview this week. I am a tour guide for the Penn interviews this Friday. I don't think they really look down upon that. If it were me, I would emphasize that Penn trains you to become a great general dentist while at the same giving the opportunity to specialize if you want. I would mention something generic and nonchalant like, "keeping your options open." I wouldn't be so bold "I definitely would like to pursue some form of specialization." However, you probably had no intention of saying it in exactly that way in an interview. Just remember, you might be talking to a general dentist in your interview.

The interviews here are usually fairly relaxed. Two interviews, one open file, one closed.

Good luck and maybe see you at the end of the week

I don't think that's wrong at all, however maybe just play it off like you're attracted to it because of all the opportunities...meaning like there are so many specialties there that you will become more experienced and a better clinician while you're working toward your DMD, regardless of if you end up in general or a specialty...

I have some questions regarding Penn.
Are classes curved?
Are students at Penn SUPER-competitive?
Are most profs approachable?
Thanks

I don't think that's wrong at all, however maybe just play it off like you're attracted to it because of all the opportunities...meaning like there are so many specialties there that you will become more experienced and a better clinician while you're working toward your DMD, regardless of if you end up in general or a specialty...

Thats great you have an interview this week. I am a tour guide for the Penn interviews this Friday. I don't think they really look down upon that. If it were me, I would emphasize that Penn trains you to become a great general dentist while at the same giving the opportunity to specialize if you want. I would mention something generic and nonchalant like, "keeping your options open." I wouldn't be so bold "I definitely would like to pursue some form of specialization." However, you probably had no intention of saying it in exactly that way in an interview. Just remember, you might be talking to a general dentist in your interview.

The interviews here are usually fairly relaxed. Two interviews, one open file, one closed.

Good luck and maybe see you at the end of the week

Thanks so much for both the responses. Yea, i was going to go with something along the lines allowing me to have options. Saying "I definitely would like to pursue some form of specialization" implies some form of 'tunnel vision' I would think. Great advice. Thanks again.

Unfortunately I'm interviewing on Thursday, but Ive heard that its a good time.

Thanks so much for both the responses. Yea, i was going to go with something along the lines allowing me to have options. Saying "I definitely would like to pursue some form of specialization" implies some form of 'tunnel vision' I would think. Great advice. Thanks again.

Unfortunately I'm interviewing on Thursday, but I've heard that its a good time.

Hello, guys~ I also consider to be a general dentist, but if I go to UPENN, end up with a gp with so so GPA, then is it bad to get a job as an UPENN graduate? Everyone seems to expect that UPENN graduates go to some form of specialization. so If anyone becomes a general dentist with so-so GPA from UPENN, I feel like that it will be more difficult to get a job than other school gradudates like USC.

Am I wrong?? ^^ Good advice please....~~

I have some questions regarding Penn.
Are classes curved?
Are students at Penn SUPER-competitive?
Are most profs approachable?
Thanks

I have a same question, too lol^^

Hello, guys~ I also consider to be a general dentist, but if I go to UPENN, end up with a gp with so so GPA, then is it bad to get a job as an UPENN graduate? Everyone seems to expect that UPENN graduates go to some form of specialization. so If anyone becomes a general dentist with so-so GPA from UPENN, I feel like that it will be more difficult to get a job than other school gradudates like USC.

Am I wrong?? ^^ Good advice please....~~

I don't think going straight into private practice is a problem for Penn grads. Penn has a great alumni network, especially on the east coast. I don't think GPA is the main thing determining whether or not you get a job in private practice after school is over. Also, there are many penn grads who do go straight into private practice. Its not like you will be some outcast.

How many applicants does Penn interview for the 120(approx) spots? / What are chances like after receiving an interview?

Last edited:
How many applicants does Penn interview for the 120(approx) spots? / What are chances like after receiving an interview?
...And, where are they with interviews (Jan? Feb?) How late does their interview cycle go? I called today but no one picked up... :( Will try back on Monday but wondered if anyone on here had the answers...

When I interviewed, I wrote down that they interviewed about 360 applicants. Not sure if that's right/maybe I heard wrong but that seems to be confirmed by someone in an older thread

I wrote down 120 seats out of 366 interviews on my notes I took, but don't remember her mentioning number accepted (or did she?)
(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=769935)

When I interviewed, I wrote down that they interviewed about 360 applicants. Not sure if that's right/maybe I heard wrong but that seems to be confirmed by someone in an older thread

Yea I've heard its around 350ish. Would be fair to assume the send out about 170-180 offers over the course of the application cycle?

Yea I've heard its around 350ish. Would be fair to assume the send out about 170-180 offers over the course of the application cycle?

That sounds about right with 350ish. Also, I think that actually accept more than 170-180, but I don't know how much more. They took quite a few off the waitlist last year. They usually interview into early march.

That sounds about right with 350ish. Also, I think that actually accept more than 170-180, but I don't know how much more. They took quite a few off the waitlist last year. They usually interview into early march.

Numbers wise, those are pretty goods for those that get interviews. Good to know. Thanks.

I am interviewing with Penn in Jan, wondering what their acceptance rate is post-dec? Someone mentioned that they dont rank students in the class, then how do you appear competitive when applying for residency...or do they assume the name will get you where you need to go

I am interviewing with Penn in Jan, wondering what their acceptance rate is post-dec? Someone mentioned that they dont rank students in the class, then how do you appear competitive when applying for residency...or do they assume the name will get you where you need to go

The name carries a lot of weight. People definitely get into residencies based on coming from this school. Also, no rank is nice because you can help your classmates without hurting yourself. The interview/acceptance rate for all residencies (including oral surgery and ortho) are very high coming from here.

As far as post dec acceptance rate, I don't have any numbers on that. Just come and interview well. Look like a normal person and I'm sure you will do great!.

The classes are not curved and there is grade inflation in my opinion. What I mean is the average GPA is quite high, higher than my undergrad. They statistically analyze every test question and throw out bad questions.

As far as SUPER- competitive goes, I think it depends on your specific class. I am a third year here and my class is really relaxed. It is much LESS competitive than I thought it would be. Because there is no class rank, we all can do well and it doesn't hurt you if a classmate does well. However, I heard other years are more competitive than ours.

The professors vary in their attitude towards students. All professors at Penn are world class researchers. Many of the professors are very average teachers and don't really care all that much about their lectures/classes. Some of the professors are amazing researchers and teachers. If having an approachable professor is #1 on your wish list for dental school, I'm sure there is a better school than Penn.

There is no class rank?! I thought Penn ranks its students.

Does anyone think it's worth it to pay the ridiculous sum of money that Penn asks for compared to in-state schools?

Does anyone know how good of a chance I have of getting in if the Dec 3 decision on my application was " undergoing continuing review"? I interviewed pre-Dec.

Top ten are ranked. The rest are not. At least this is what I understood from when I was there.

If you are in the top ten, then penn ranks. For everybody else penn doesn't rank. :) When 25+ people get accepted into ortho or oral surgery it takes pressure off trying to get into the top ten.

On another note:
B+ = 3.5
B= 3.0
There are no minus grades given.
95-100=H
90-94.5=A
86-89.5=B+
80-85.5=B
76-79.5=C+
70-75.5=C
70>F