05/01/09 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bowlin123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wrote the 05/01/09 MCAT. I thought the biological sciences section is extremely difficult and the other two sections were fair. I think there were 3 passages and many discrete questions on OCHEM. I used to get 10's or above on this section but I would be happy with a 10 on the section for today's exam

Members don't see this ad.

My practice test scores were as follows: 27, 24 (not sure what happened there), 31, 28, 31. In the additional BS, PS and VR sections I took, I averaged about 9 for both BS and PS and around 11-13 on VR.
When I left the test, I didn't know what to think. Thought it could be a 27 or 28.
Actual Score: 29
VR: 11
BS: 9
PS: 9
WS: M (this one kind of shocked me--I'm a generally good writer and was doing better than this on practice tests)
I will likely go ahead and apply since significantly increasing my score would probably require me to wait another year and I'm a post-bac, 5 years out from undergrad, who would really like to MOVE FORWARD WITH THIS PROCESS!!!!

How come the SDN people who did the 5/2/09 session have much higher scores than 5/1/09 (like in the 35 range versus the upper 20s)? Is this just sampling bias?

I took the 5/2/09 test and got a 38Q, I'm really happy, but I'm just surprised with the discrepancy of the scores between the two threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC Average
PS: 13.6
VR: 12
BS: 12.9

MCAT I (08/2007)
PS: 9
VR: 7
BS: 10
Tot: 26O

MCAT II (5/1/2009)
PS: 14
VR: 11
BS: 13
Tot: 38R

AAMC Range: Bio 9-11, Verb 9-12, Phys 9-11

Actual Score: Bio 10, Verb 11, Phys 10 for a 31Q total

Anticipated Score: Bio 7, Verb 8, Phys 9... Ended up doing much better than I thought. Probably just caught a bad case of the post-MCAT jitters.

32T for me.
13 verbal
10 physics
9 bio

The bio isn't too great but I knew I did poorly on that section. I'm going to go ahead and apply with this.

My amcas avgs were right on target except I thought I could hit the 10 in Bio :(
predicted
12-14 verbal
10-11 physics
10 bio

AAMC Average
Verbal- 7
Bio- 11
Physical-10

How I felt

Verbal- 7
Bio-10
Physical- 11

Actual
Verbal-9
Bio- 11
Physical 10
Writing- S... Completely happy.. excited to move on

Yay!! I did very well!! :D:D

I beat my practice average by FIVE!!! And I beat my best score by 2 points.
I personally thought I was about 1-2 points above my AAMC average when I walked out because I felt pretty good about the test. However, I've been 2nd guessing myself for the past month.

Good job to everybody!!!

PS: 10
VR: 9

DARN YOU VERBAL!!!!

I know it's not as high as some posters on here. But I'm thankful for what I have. Based on how much time I actually had to study for the MCAT this semester, I feel really good.

And to anyone who didn't do so well - I got a 25 my first time. And was prepared to take it a 3rd time and I still am ready to retake if I don't get in with a 29 this cycle. :luck: everyone. stay humble, stay sane.

36O
PS-14
VR-11
BS-11

I felt like when I left I had gotten a 35ish I would have said:
PS-13
VR-11
BS-13

I guess the BS didn't go as well as I thought?? Oh well, I'm so excited right now!!!

My first MCAT was a 26Q - 2 years ago

HOORAY!

My average AAMC practice test score was about a 35, so I was right in there!

AWESOME improvement!!!

If anyone needs personal advice, PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS: 10
VR: 9

DARN YOU VERBAL!!!!

I know it's not as high as some posters on here. But I'm thankful for what I have. Based on how much time I actually had to study for the MCAT this semester, I feel really good.

And to anyone who didn't do so well - I got a 25 my first time. And was prepared to take it a 3rd time and I still am ready to retake if I don't get in with a 29 this cycle. :luck: everyone. stay humble, stay sane.

29 was the magic number for several of us this year! Best of luck!

How come the SDN people who did the 5/2/09 session have much higher scores than 5/1/09 (like in the 35 range versus the upper 20s)? Is this just sampling bias?

I took the 5/2/09 test and got a 38Q, I'm really happy, but I'm just surprised with the discrepancy of the scores between the two threads.

Thanks 5/1ers for "owning up" and being proud of your high 20's. Probably much more representative of the general population.

09/06/2008 = VR-06 PS-09 WS-Q BS-10 comp=25Q

05/01/2009 = VR-09 PS-10 WS-P BS-10 comp=29P

I expected to have the same VR score which would mean i'd need a retake. I'm so happy to not need to take the MCAT again because these scores are decent for LA-shreveport and my GPA makes up for it.

It's party time... nevermind, its application time.

I expected to have the same VR score which would mean i'd need a retake. I'm so happy to not need to take the MCAT again because these scores are decent for LA-shreveport and my GPA makes up for it.

Congrats, and best of luck with LSU. Geaux Tigers! :)

5/1/09 MCAT
31S VR:7!!! PS:12 BS:12
Damn verbal...never was my strong area

AAMC practice tests:
PS, V, BS
AAMC 10: 12, 7, 12
AAMC 9: 13, 9, 13
AAMC 8: 12, 8, 13
AAMC 7: 11, 8, 13
AAMC 3: 13, 9, 11

Overall, real score reflected my aamc tests. Didn't take AAMC 4-6 because didn't have money to pay for them.

VR-11
PS-13
BS-14
WS-P
Total-38P

Did pretty well on the science but dogged it on the verbal sections. Story of my life.

But I think what's gonna keep me out of med school this year is that i spent the last year dj'ing instead of doing something medically related :\

AAMC average: 40.8

Feeling after walking out:
BS: 15
Writing: R

Actual:
Writing S
Overall: 41S

Right where I wanted to be!!!

Congratulations everyone! And as always, if you feel your scores are too low to post or you need general encouragement, babydoc is here :)

I'd be one of them. My score is pathetic. Oh well, i have till August 5th. Time to revamp my study methods, buy new books and put more effort into this thing.

Actual:
Writing S

Nice, were you confident you got all of the BS correct? or do you know for sure you missed one

should i retake a 32?

what were your subscores and were they consistent with your practice aamc exams? Are you confident that you could do better with another month or two or studying? It also depends where you want to go. 32 is definitely competitive for most places assuming your other stats are good.

Yayy we got the exact same breakdown and total on our retakes. (And the same total score on take 1.)

Go us and goodluck buddy!! :)

I'm in the same boat as you dlouis... dont give up, we got this!

:thumbup: don't give up - I think the best approach is to do your best. Reflect on how you studied for it this time - tweak it - and keep moving along with the process!! your efforts will pay off.

Actual:
Writing S

i see from your number of posts that you registered just to give some of these kids a heart attack with your scores!

haha I'm kidding, good work my friend

Yes we do! Looking back, my problem was that I thought Kaplan could get me 30+. What a waste of 2k in my opinion.

You live and you learn.

I completely agree that kaplan was a giant waste of money. I used kaplan the first time and got a 26, then just studied my but off on my own for the second time and got a balanced 31-maybe not a great score in sdn standards, but im super happy with it. Moral of the story is that you can do it! Study hard and I'm sure you'll get a 30+ on your retake:)

officially retaking it on July 30th, if i mess up again then either taking a year off or going to caribbean (i dont think its a good idea tho)

Retaking July 17th. Started retsudying today. Did all EK last time. Using all princeton review this time except for verbal. my life sucks now :rolleyes:. Congrats to everyone who did well. Good luck to those who are retaking!

i see from your number of posts that you registered just to give some of these kids a heart attack with your scores!

haha I'm kidding, good work my friend

hahaha any MCAT score is not official until it's posted on SDN, don't you know?

So, I only studied for 2 weeks and got a 28 on this one (P:7!! V:11 B:10). I'm planning to retake it in August. I'm going to spend the next 2 months studying for it. Any advice for the retake?

So, I only studied for 2 weeks and got a 28 on this one (P:7!! V:11 B:10). I'm planning to retake it in August. I'm going to spend the next 2 months studying for it. Any advice for the retake?

study physics and chemistry....