05/01/09 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bowlin123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wrote the 05/01/09 MCAT. I thought the biological sciences section is extremely difficult and the other two sections were fair. I think there were 3 passages and many discrete questions on OCHEM. I used to get 10's or above on this section but I would be happy with a 10 on the section for today's exam

Members don't see this ad.

The first time I took the MCAT, i got a 6 in verbal. I only want an 8 or better. If I can get that I'll be happy with my score.

I don't remember all the passages, but I don't think I had any on a pulse jet either?

I'm hoping the gecko passage was experimental, but at the same time, I spent so much time on it- and had to rush my last few passages- that I kind of hope its included...

I've actually about to re-register for the June test (hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and get to cancel). Unlike most people on this forum, I found VR to be very difficult and the other sections to not be too bad.. Sadly, I think I could have legitimately scored a 5 on VR, and that won't get me anywhere even if I did do really well on the other sections. Ugh...

Yea man, good luck. I hope none of us have to retake it.

Arrr it's hard to get my mind off those darn scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing as many of you, like me, felt pretty bad after taking this test (mostly because of bio), have any of you already registered for another exam? I registered for the july 2nd one yesterday but I am going to have to drive 2 hours to get there! I figure if I don't have to retake it I won't really be caring about the 55 dollar cancellation fee...

Seeing as many of you, like me, felt pretty bad after taking this test (mostly because of bio), have any of you already registered for another exam? I registered for the july 2nd one yesterday but I am going to have to drive 2 hours to get there! I figure if I don't have to retake it I won't really be caring about the 55 dollar cancellation fee...

I have rescheduled for 6/18, and I'll be happy to waste my money and cancel (I am actually praying I can do this). As I stated above, I am retaking because of VR.. this may be stupid, but after taking the test (and knowing I have the content down very well/ realizing that they test you on directly on the passages or on really random facts that you either know or don't know), I am going to probably study for a week or two leading up to the exam... I will however start examkrackers 2-3 weeks before just to get the jist of the VR because it legitimately PWNED me on the real thing

I wanted to sign up for the june 18th one, but literally every seat was taken - I even checked in puerto rico just for kicks. I am hoping that some people get better scores than they think and end up cancelling so I can get a spot closer to home and not have to take off a day of work to travel also! You may have done way better on verbal than you think though - from my experience how I felt after taking a verbal practice test was really no indicator for how I did on it!

Man, I'm so not in the same boat. I actually liked the mouse passage because I am better at decoding confusing texts than quickly using background knowledge to answer stuff. So yeah I liked the gecko, mouse, and the cloud passages. That said, I'm a little worried a week before the results more than before because I'm in for a big depressing surprise if i only got the "experimental" or "hard" questions right.

I've had this problem for a while though. On my AAMCs, I do poor or ok on the easy questions, ok on medium ones, and great on the hard ones lol. Lucky me huh?

Man, I'm so not in the same boat. I actually liked the mouse passage because I am better at decoding confusing texts than quickly using background knowledge to answer stuff. So yeah I liked the gecko, mouse, and the cloud passages. That said, I'm a little worried a week before the results more than before because I'm in for a big depressing surprise if i only got the "experimental" or "hard" questions right.

I've had this problem for a while though. On my AAMCs, I do poor or ok on the easy questions, ok on medium ones, and great on the hard ones lol. Lucky me huh?

I totally hear ya. But look at it this way - it's easier to learn how to do the easy/medium ones than the hard ones. I really really hope none of us have to retake it. Let's hope our feelings were mutual with everyone else that took the test that day. And it'll be curved in our favor.

Earlier, I was pretty stressed out. Now I'm just taking it all in stride, ready to apply to whatever schools I can apply to this year. And retake next year. I've taken it twice so far and I don't want to take it again this year and risk screwing up three attempts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me test my score prediction capabilities:
8 PS 9 VR 9 BS - 26 M

Ugh. I'll just prepare for the worst and plan to retake in Jan. Yayyy pessimism.

When you say check the website for open spots, you mean the MCAT website right? AAMC?

Yes. They update it as people drop. Just check on it as much as you can and catch the next spot.

Man I wish they would email me when the scores are available. I'm tired of logging just to find nothing LOL.

Yea, that is what I have been doing...literally everyday. april 24th mcat was meant to hear on the 26th so I looked a lot yesterday. I am signed up for a spot 2 hours from my house for an 8:00am test...but I guess I should be grateful I have a spot if I need it at all!

And I just got a seat in Philadelphia! Thank god. Much closer. If anyone is looking for a harrisburg spot one just opened up!

Now that I know we are next up for getting scores, this wait just got a bagillionmillion times more miserable...

Man...I just can't stand this wait anymore. I really want my score!!! 6 more freggin days man. These are going to be the longest 6 days of my life. :scared:

How, did you guys feel after the test?? I actually felt decent about it. I was pretty focused. It was definitely better than the April 18th test for me (which I obviously retook). However, I've heard that how you feel is an awful predictor for how you did. :mad:

OMG!!! This is so annoying!!! I want my score back RIGHT NOW!!!! I need to stop second guessing myself all the time. I will be so happy with my practice averages (in all the sections).

Also, our group is awfully small. Only like 120 post?? Step it up guys!! :laugh:

Man...I just can't stand this wait anymore. I really want my score!!! 6 more freggin days man. These are going to be the longest 6 days of my life. :scared:

How, did you guys feel after the test?? I actually felt decent about it. I was pretty focused. It was definitely better than the April 18th test for me (which I obviously retook). However, I've heard that how you feel is an awful predictor for how you did. :mad:

OMG!!! This is so annoying!!! I want my score back RIGHT NOW!!!! I need to stop second guessing myself all the time. I will be so happy with my practice averages (in all the sections).

Also, our group is awfully small. Only like 120 post?? Step it up guys!! :laugh:

I don't think this is true. I only felt awful when I had not completely finished one or more sections on the MCAT. On this exam, I finished every single question with only minimal guessing. In that sense, I guess feeling good is a good thing, because I have consistently run out of time on Physical Sciences and Verbal sections.

I don't think this is true. I only felt awful when I had not completely finished one or more sections on the MCAT. On this exam, I finished every single question with only minimal guessing. In that sense, I guess feeling good is a good thing, because I have consistently run out of time on Physical Sciences and Verbal sections.

I'm in the same boat. I finished all the sections with plenty of time to spare and I didn't guess much. Verbal went much better than usual for me which is good because I'm weaker in Verbal. However, I'm also worried that the test is curved against us. Since it was a little easier, it might be that the curve is even steeper than the curve on AAMC test 10. :scared: That would be bad because a few questions wrong will ruin your score.

I was very scared of the curve after i walked out of Verbal. Thought I admit that I was happy since I focused on all the passages.

MAN!!! I just can't take this wait. I wanna know!!!! I wanna know if I did well. I literally gave up a year of my life for this test. I wanna know if all my hard work was worth it!!!!! :xf:

Either I hope you are wrong about the verbal curve OR that the last 4 or 5 were B!

You know, I really do hope I'm wrong about the curve. I'm hoping for a normal AAMC curve where you can get about 9 wrong and still get a 10, or 7 wrong and still get an 11. That type of curve is sweet!!!! It gives me lots of buffer zone.

However, I've learned in life to be pessimistic and expect the worst. Even though I felt that I did well on the exam, that does not mean that I did. And even if person X did not feel that they did well on the exam, does not mean that they didn't do well. Verbal is tricky.

But man!! I REALLY WANT THIS FREGGIN SCORE BACK!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I'm so tired of waiting. OMG!! Just 5 more days. I just can't stand this wait anymore.

Good :luck: everybody. I hope you guys are all hanging in through the misery.

I was doing completely fine after I took the test, but now I am starting to panic! I wasn't doing that great on the practice tests, but I am hoping that the shock of the actual test helped me concentrate and bring up my average score 2-3 points. We will all find out in three days!

I will make 2 predictions:

P-V-B-W

11-7-11-N
is my worst prediction
15-11-15-P
My best prediction

I hope it's the latter...:D

4 more days!! OMG!! JUST FOUR MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
These are seriously going to be the longest 4 days of my freggin life. I'm really upset that AAMC didn't get off their lazy arses and release the freggin scores today. Seriously! Does it not hurt them to get things over before the weekend. Lazy people.

And seriously, I hope it comes out on Monday. We took the freggin exam earlier than the May 2nd group. We should get it on Monday and they should get it on Tuesday. If there is a delay, we should get priority. It's only fair.

Man, I don't even wanna guess. I just want my practice averages or better on all sections!!!

4 more days!! OMG!! JUST FOUR MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
These are seriously going to be the longest 4 days of my freggin life. I'm really upset that AAMC didn't get off their lazy arses and release the freggin scores today. Seriously! Does it not hurt them to get things over before the weekend. Lazy people.

And seriously, I hope it comes out on Monday. We took the freggin exam earlier than the May 2nd group. We should get it on Monday and they should get it on Tuesday. If there is a delay, we should get priority. It's only fair.

Man, I don't even wanna guess. I just want my practice averages or better on all sections!!!

I totally agree :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. I really want to get it before June 2 (this is also the earliest date for AMCAS submission) so that I would have enough time knowing what schools to apply.

I totally agree :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. I really want to get it before June 2 (this is also the earliest date for AMCAS submission) so that I would have enough time knowing what schools to apply.

yeah man! We have to hang in here. Just THREE more days!! Almost there.
I remember that for the April 18th MCAT, it was released on a Tuesday but at 11:30 AM Eastern Time (so early for west coasters!). Everybody was mad that it wasn't released on Monday, but at least we still got it a few hours early.

I'm expecting a Tuesday release from those lazy arses at AAMC who are probably pretending to work on our tests. But yeah, it could come out on Monday. :xf:

I'm so sick of all the paranoia over MCAT scores. It is going to be around your AAMC test average. So unless you have an AAMC test average that was absymally low, then you have no reason to freak out. SDN is supposed to be a place for support and sharing information - but lately I've started to think it's just a place to share the paranoia. My practice tests scores were bad so I think I have the right to freak out and worry because I'm sitting here hoping for an MCAT miracle (which doesn't happen). In the meantime, those of you with your 30-39 practice test averages need to stop worrying the **** out of yourselves, go find something productive to do. You'll BE FINE.

Opal, if you are right about that I will give you a kiss.

p.s. I am a girl despite the sn (benny = my dog)...I created this account directly after the MCAT...clearly was a bit out of it

OMG!!! I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!!

This weekend is going by so freggin slow. :(:(:(:(
I really hope those darn scores come out tomorrow!! :xf:

Man, we gots to have more people posting in this thread!! Seriously! We all need to share our feelings of anxiety. JUST 2 more days and we can have lives again!!!!

Opal, if you are right about that I will give you a kiss.

p.s. I am a girl despite the sn (benny = my dog)...I created this account directly after the MCAT...clearly was a bit out of it

Haha. If I hit my lowest practice score, you have dinner, a movie, a kiss, and a chance to pet my dog (she's a little long haired dacshund). Anything for a good score!!! LOL.

so... am I the only one who has checked the thx like three times today...

:D they aren't going to be posted on a weekend. If these guys can't even be decent enough to give us our scores on a weekend so we can either enjoy ourselves or have time to recover from depression, then why would you expect them to go out of there way to release the scores on Sunday??

I'm hoping for a Monday but expecting a Tuesday. If they are late then AAMC can expect this: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

32 days is just too much. The wait needs to be cut down to 14 days or something like that. Stupid bureaucracy will never do it though.

Do we submit our LOR for AMCAS or can we wait until the Secondaries to do so??

If I need to do them by Primaries (AMCAS), well.....ummm.....I'm pretty screwed. :scared::scared::scared: AHHHH!!! I WANT MY FREGGIN SCORE so that I can make myself feel better about lacking LORs!!! (well only if I did well on the MCAT). :xf::xf:

Haha. If I hit my lowest practice score, you have dinner, a movie, a kiss, and a chance to pet my dog (she's a little long haired dacshund). Anything for a good score!!! LOL.

Rephrase your quote. "If I hit my HIGHEST practice score." I certainly would not want my lowest practice score. I'd probably throw a chair :eek::eek: if I got that score. On the other hand, if I got my highest practice score, then :D:D:D:D. Life will be good!! :love::love:

Good :luck: everybody! Hope you guys all get your highest and not your lowest practice scores!!!

Rephrase your quote. "If I hit my HIGHEST practice score." I certainly would not want my lowest practice score. I'd probably throw a chair :eek::eek: if I got that score. On the other hand, if I got my highest practice score, then :D:D:D:D. Life will be good!! :love::love:

Good :luck: everybody! Hope you guys all get your highest and not your lowest practice scores!!!

My lowest was a 32 but it's not real cause I had more than 5 points differences among tests. My hardest was AAMC 8, I took it last and hit 32. However I took one test for the fun of it after the Mcat and got 24. I know, confusing huh? But I don't care. I wish everyone well and don't forget this is not the end of the road whether you hit 1 or 45. It's just another step.

My lowest was a 32 but it's not real cause I had more than 5 points differences among tests. My hardest was AAMC 8, I took it last and hit 32. However I took one test for the fun of it after the Mcat and got 24. I know, confusing huh? But I don't care. I wish everyone well and don't forget this is not the end of the road whether you hit 1 or 45. It's just another step.

I'm in the same boat as you. My lowest, also AAMC 8, was about 4 points lower than my average when the other tests were either 1 point lower up to 3 points higher than the average. Stupid AAMC 8 came right after AAMC 7 which was my highest performance (a 7 point drop:scared::scared:) and killed my confidence before the 4/18/09 test. So now you know why I'm making noise here instead of in 4/18/09 :smuggrin:.

Ignore the 24. I'm sure your mind just :sleep: after all that super hard MCAT studying. I didn't have any tests left to take for fun, but just as a joke, I got a 3 on one practice test because I started it and submited it right away :eek:. If I'd recomend a fun test to take though, I'd say do the PAT (Perceptual Ability Test) for the DAT. Try to be a more well rounded test taker instead of just taking more MCATs. :laugh: Med schools like well roundedness!! :)laugh::laugh:)

No back to waiting :smuggrin:.

Do we submit our LOR for AMCAS or can we wait until the Secondaries to do so??

If I need to do them by Primaries (AMCAS), well.....ummm.....I'm pretty screwed. :scared::scared::scared: AHHHH!!! I WANT MY FREGGIN SCORE so that I can make myself feel better about lacking LORs!!! (well only if I did well on the MCAT). :xf::xf:

I have the same question. I tried to reason it out though. Given the amount of applications and the speed at which the schools send out secondaries I would think that the letters of rec don't need to be submitted until the secondaries go in. I just seems that they wouldn't be able to look over the entire application (including the letters) until they narrow down the application pool a bit. I might be wrong in this assumption though...thoughts anyone?

You can add letters to your amcas file at any time. they aren't looked at as part of the primary... you can submit without them.

Best of luck everyone! :xf: for tomorrow!

Thank you!! That's what I've heard from somewhere, but it's good to see somebody confirm it since I was not sure at all!! :)

And yep! I'm :xf:for tomorrow!!! OMG!! Just 1-2 more days!!! I can start thinking in terms of hours!!

All right guys, I'm off to bed. Let's hope that tomorrow the scores are released. :thumbup::thumbup:

Man, I'm so nervous but I know that I need the :sleep: to stay healthy.
Good night everybody!! And Good :luck:!

You can add letters to your amcas file at any time. they aren't looked at as part of the primary... you can submit without them.

Best of luck everyone! :xf: for tomorrow!

if one sends in letters with the primary, do additional letters still need to be sent with secondaries?

i hope we get our scores today!

I don't think Letters are even looked at with primaries are they? It's pointless to get your LORs in this early... I just gave my letter writers until the end of June.

I hope we get them today as well!

OMG!!! I'm having a nervous breakdown. I just can't take this freggin wait anymore!! Please AAMC people, please release the scores today!! :xf::xf:

I can't even do anything today because I'm so nervous. I just can't think of anything else but the test. I tried exercising today but I felt like crap!!! :(:(

WHY IS TIME MOVING SO FREGGIN SLOW????

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

i havent been paying attn to the timeline of everyone else's scores being released. have they been on schedule? late?