05/01/09 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bowlin123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wrote the 05/01/09 MCAT. I thought the biological sciences section is extremely difficult and the other two sections were fair. I think there were 3 passages and many discrete questions on OCHEM. I used to get 10's or above on this section but I would be happy with a 10 on the section for today's exam

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm it seems like the consensus is Bio sucked, maybe I shouldn't have voided my test after the bio part...

anyway, i had no idea what that computers/economics passage was talking about at all. it was so hard to focus with people typing and coughing (those headphones don't work so great)

i will def try to get to the testing center first next time..

I don't think I have that computers/economics passage. However, I thought there weren't that many people taking MCAT on 05/01/09. At least, this is true in my case; there weren't that many people typing, maybe just one. I think most of them were taking other exams in my test center and I confirmed it during my breaks.

I was the only one taking the MCAT out of about 11 people. I guess if people have a choice they would take it on a saturday and not friday.

The menstruation passage was hard too, but the charts and graphs helped with understanding it. The passage with the RCG had nothing but words.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I had a computer passage either. I may just not remember. The only passages I remember were ones about weather, love, and...umm...thats it for my memory :laugh:.

The RGC passage in BS was probably the hardest passage I've ever worked, in practice or on this MCAT.

Oh yeah....i remember that menstruation passage...I only had 4 mins left to read the passage & answer the q's....:laugh:......ugh....Also remember that dumb passage about love, mouse genes, & that dumb mountain....I think they were all too long and not really based on the sections I was studying...

Interesting thoughts, guys. Can someone explain the experimental passage factor? Do they still do this, and does it mean a whole passage's questions don't count? If this is the case, one HAD to be the RCG knockout mice passage - one descriptive paragraph with 6-7 questions? What do you guys think?

I'm guessing the menstruation passage was the experimental passage because I didn't get that one. From what I remember I had:

circulation during exercise
evolution/hardy-weinberg
knock-out mice
and some orgo that I don't remember

Well, either one would be great (menstruation or knockout mice). I was confused by the latter (so not sure if all of my answers were right) and because of that one didn't get to properly analyze the former (answered 2 or 3 qualitatively, guessed on the rest). So I'll def take either of them being taken out. So there IS experimental passages then?

I'm guessing the menstruation passage was the experimental passage because I didn't get that one. From what I remember I had:

circulation during exercise
evolution/hardy-weinberg
knock-out mice
and some orgo that I don't remember

I don't think I have passages on circulation during exercise nor evolution/hardy-weinberg.

pleaaaaaaaaase let the menstrual cycle one be experimental.

i've forgotten most stuff from the BS.... but had
Something on Heart/Blood/Capilaries- was alright I think. unsure about 1 question
Knockout mice one (I think I finally got this one after a good ammount of work)
Menstrual one (I guessed on pretty much all of these questions grr NEVER had to do this on any practice BS)
3 OChem ones:
1. organolithium-involving one
2. 3 possible mechanisms one
3. can't remember...
None of them were "easy"

i did get that capillary one but i didn't get any evolution one maybe i don't remember, do u remember anything in general or particular becuz i can't think of it. anyways, its over, either we got it or we don't we'll see in 27 days.

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was hurting during the Bio section. I was really happy/confident coming out of the writing and then got more and more worried as the bio section time counted down. I got stuck on the gene expression one so did some guessing and came back to it at the end. Unfortunately I only had 4 min left to try and map things out on scratch paper. eek. And I've been scoring fine on practice bio sections 10-13ish. And of course I've been thinking about it for the last couple of days and was wondering if other people felt the bio wasn't that bad. Well, at least there's some consensus here. Good luck with score results everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
VR: Strange, strange passages - While reading, I kept thinking about how confusing/poorly written they were. Had to skip the very first passage because I was getting hung up on it, came back to it at the end.

BS: Hard passage - Bio stuff I was ok with b/c I've taken so many classes -The three organic chem passages may have tanked me though. Organic passages were on CRACK.

PS: Pretty straightforward, but I already know I missed two questions. It was fairly easy but that also means the curve may not be as forgiving.

...there's no use worrying about it anymore. I may start re-studying after final exams, just to be on the safe side... wait no, I already know I failed. Oh well, it's not the end of the world.

Like everyone else has been saying, the bio kicked my butt. I also had some trouble with PS section :( That refrigerator/heating passage also hurt me.

Now the question I have is do I keep studying and automatically think i got below a 30 or do I wait and find out an then start studying. Maybe if I start studying now karma will be on my side. I don't know how to study much differently than I have been. :mad:

PS: Not too difficult. I thought it was pretty fair.

VR: I liked the passages and again I thought this section wasn't too bad.

Writing: Fairly interesting topics; pretty easy to write about.

BS: This section is the one that worries me the most. There were plenty of questions I had to guess on. I'm really hoping that this section went better than I thought it did, especially since I think I did well on the other three parts.

We will see what happens in early June. :)

Which diagram you guys pick for that refridge one that said the coils needed to be in parallel or something along those lines????

We're not allowed talking about specific questions from the exams...

has anyone looked at amcas application?? how many schools does typical student should apply???

isn't the curve pre-determine?? so no matter who took it, it would be wat it would be??

yes, it is. everyone's score (minus writing) was determined the second they chose to not void their test.

yet.... it still takes 30 days to get the exam back :sleep:. gr. kind of ridiculous.

am i the only one who has spent the last week kicking myself over questions i know i missed...especially with that rcg/some orgo discretes? how does everyone feel?

i forgot all the questions already... however i do feel worse and less confident as time goes on. june 2nd cannot come any quicker

I just REALLY hope that the Verbal comes out okay... I feel really confident about everything else... :cool:

am i the only one who has spent the last week kicking myself over questions i know i missed...especially with that rcg/some orgo discretes? how does everyone feel?

me too. Personally, I need to get off this forum and forget about the MCAT. Once the score arrives, there will be plenty of time to brood over it.

I wish the MCAT was like the DAT or OAT or GRE, knowing scores right away.

yes, it is. everyone's score (minus writing) was determined the second they chose to not void their test.

yet.... it still takes 30 days to get the exam back :sleep:. gr. kind of ridiculous.

ohh so its not pre-determine, they do it after u send ur test?/ what is ur source tho??? i really hope u r correct. and why june 2nd? why not earlier they said 30 days and it should be may 31st or 30th.

Random questions from the MCAT keep popping in my head and then I run to a computer to check my answer :D So yes, I am still going over the test in my head! I haven't heard anyone talk about the meteorology passage, I thought that was impossible in the verbal section!

Random questions from the MCAT keep popping in my head and then I run to a computer to check my answer :D So yes, I am still going over the test in my head! I haven't heard anyone talk about the meteorology passage, I thought that was impossible in the verbal section!

I had a hard time with that passage too... I also haven't heard anyone talk about the gecko/tail passage, which I also thought was pretty hard (and I'm pretty sure one question had zero correct answers...)

I had a hard time with that passage too... I also haven't heard anyone talk about the gecko/tail passage, which I also thought was pretty hard (and I'm pretty sure one question had zero correct answers...)

Yes! That passage was pretty bad. I remember a question that didn't seem to have a correct answer, so I picked the "least worst."

Yes! That passage was pretty bad. I remember a question that didn't seem to have a correct answer, so I picked the "least worst."

This is hilarious. I'm pretty positive that I know the exact question you guys are talking about. I was excited reading the question b/c I figured it would have straight forward answers...

nope.

meteorology and gecko/tail passages??? I took the MCAT on 01 May 09 and I have no recollection on the two mentioned passages. Either that I completely skipped the passages or we have different exams. Somebody please explain this to me.

We're talking about verbal, not science passages.

If you still dont recall them, perhaps you had a different exam than we did.

We're talking about verbal, not science passages.

If you still dont recall them, perhaps you had a different exam than we did.

I have passages on love, trance/music, volcanoes/missing city, cloud/solar rays, copywrite/patent, pulse Jet/low-cost fuel, and this one other passage I can't remember or skipped

Bowlin I had the same passages you had.
I definitely did NOT have a passage on gecko tails.
And yes, I sat the 5/1 exam.

I had the gecko tail one as well... I didn't have the pulse jet though I don't think...

That Gecko one was SOOOO annoying!

I had the gecko tail one as well... I didn't have the pulse jet though I don't think...

That Gecko one was SOOOO annoying!

Yea Gecko one was REALLY annoying. No pulse jet for me either.

Had the clouds, love, trance crap.

Makes me think the gecko and jet may be experimental since some people had one or the other.

I'm siding with the 'prepare for the worst and then either feel good about being correct or be pleasantly surprised' philosophy. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and register to retake in July. I've already had so much money go down the drain with the med school thing.

that takes care of the gecko tail passage. How about the meterology passage? Would somebody explain this to me? I don't even have the faintest recollection on the passage

Yea Gecko one was REALLY annoying. No pulse jet for me either.

Had the clouds, love, trance crap.

Makes me think the gecko and jet may be experimental since some people had one or the other.

I'm siding with the 'prepare for the worst and then either feel good about being correct or be pleasantly surprised' philosophy. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and register to retake in July. I've already had so much money go down the drain with the med school thing.

I don't remember all the passages, but I don't think I had any on a pulse jet either?

I'm hoping the gecko passage was experimental, but at the same time, I spent so much time on it- and had to rush my last few passages- that I kind of hope its included...

I've actually about to re-register for the June test (hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and get to cancel). Unlike most people on this forum, I found VR to be very difficult and the other sections to not be too bad.. Sadly, I think I could have legitimately scored a 5 on VR, and that won't get me anywhere even if I did do really well on the other sections. Ugh...

I felt the same way about the VR... I could have gotten a 7? I could have gotten a 13??

I don't remember all the passages, but I don't think I had any on a pulse jet either?

I'm hoping the gecko passage was experimental, but at the same time, I spent so much time on it- and had to rush my last few passages- that I kind of hope its included...

I've actually about to re-register for the June test (hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and get to cancel). Unlike most people on this forum, I found VR to be very difficult and the other sections to not be too bad.. Sadly, I think I could have legitimately scored a 5 on VR, and that won't get me anywhere even if I did do really well on the other sections. Ugh...

Yea I think the whole do badly on one section and it's all over thing sucks. I also found myself rushing through VR passages at the end. I even had to do that for BS passages.

This wait is getting LONG.