'08 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tanner82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying DO for the next application cycle. Just had a few quick questions, which I could undoubtably find by searching posts, but since you guys are on top of answering questions I figure I'll ask. Mainly just trying to decide which schools to apply to.
(1) Which schools have a strong in-state bias?
(2) LOR's are only required with secondary app's right?
(3) Are open houses a useful?
(4) DO LOR required for most schools?
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For #1... what about PCOM, PCOM-Ga, and UMDNJ

you asked for a strong preference. I dont think those 3 fit into that category.

As for Nycom, I personally wouldn't put it in the strong category, but they do prefer students from the tri-state area.

I believe that WVSOM and VCOM also have a strong preferences, maybe not state, but I am pretty sure that VCOM wants students who are going to end up practicing in that area and WVSOM has a very strong lean towards rural medicine. I don't believe PCOM has an instate preference.

DO LOR's always help.

Just for mention sake, MSUCOM is having an open house April 13, 2007 @ 1p.

thanks for the heads up sistahnik!

Certain schools also have strong University affiliations also. For example, Chicago COM takes a disproportionate amount of Loyola students (Loyola MAMS students are huge here, at least 10/50 of this years students got in there, most aren't going, but I haven't heard of any of our MAMS students getting rejected there). I heard a rumor that the SMP at Barry U in Florida is also strongly associated with Nova...
:)

pcsom and vcom seem to have a regional preference (from the appalachia region including sc, tn, nc, va, ky i think), unecom prefers students from the northeast, and a student at pcom-ga told me they like applicants from the mid-atlantic/south, but i have no idea if that's actually true.

Well, for PCOM, I've noticed that the instate acceptance rate is like 20 some odd percent while out of state acceptance rate is about 3 percent. I'd say PCOM has a strong instate preference.

Well, for PCOM, I've noticed that the instate acceptance rate is like 20 some odd percent while out of state acceptance rate is about 3 percent. I'd say PCOM has a strong instate preference.

I don't think PCOM has a preference, rather, it is a very popular school among Pennsylvania residents. Having grown up in PA, I know PCOM has an excellent reputation in the state medical community, especially in the southeast. Bottom line, tons of people from PA apply.

in-state prefrences suck, unless of course you want to go to your state school. My state school is on the bottom of my list...