09/12/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fudge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just officially signed up for this beast. It's early but I figured this thread could provide some moral support to keep me on track with studying:) I have not done a couple of the pre-requisites, so slow and steady works for me. Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Thankfully, it's Thanksgiving up here, and I can use turkey, wine and naps to forget about the MCAT for a little bit.

What is the story behind Canada's Turkey Day? Is it like ours or did y'all eat with Eskimos? haha, but really I'm curious. Does it have anything to do with Jacques Cartier? BC I'm related to that dude...

... Working full time as an IT project manager ...

That makes two of us! Welcome to the board, I am kinda new here myself. I've been involved in IT development for almost 10 years and the last two years working in IT and Bioinformatics immediately after I finished my undergrad.. but focus primarily on IT solutions, e-commerce, and content management systems. What kind of things are you involved in?

All in all, we all feel your pain with regard to the skewed MCAT sections. Wishing you all the best.. it sounds like you've got quite a bit of work on your hands with juggling around all the different roles you play! Hopefully all the hard work will pay off soon.

I didn't think that the MCAT would affect me so much in these last few days, but I can't stop thinking about them. I'm just worried that I score much below average. I've even hesitant to predict what my score will be so as to not be disappointed when they come back. (or hopefully pleasantly surprised.)

Just predict that you got a 20M: This way there is probably no chance that you get disappointed!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the story behind Canada's Turkey Day? Is it like ours or did y'all eat with Eskimos? haha, but really I'm curious. Does it have anything to do with Jacques Cartier? BC I'm related to that dude...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)

Lol I really didn't know myself either.... I was too busy stuffing my face with turkey and mashed potatoes to ever question it.

4 tests in the past 8 days totaling 101.3 %, plus various assignments and a medical school application. NOW I can thoroughly freak out over the MCAT.

I am planning to attend A haunted house this weekend to get my mind off of things!!!

Little do you know, they're going to pop out from behind the curtain and show you a piece of paper with 22L on it. :scared:

4 tests in the past 8 days totaling 101.3 %, plus various assignments and a medical school application. NOW I can thoroughly freak out over the MCAT.

Little do you know, they're going to pop out from behind the curtain and show you a piece of paper with 22L on it. :scared:

Now that would be scary!

Unless it's a 15K...

just finished my round of midterms for the past 4 weeks, 1-2 mts per week, finished with anatomy

does anyone know where osteoclasts function?
a. concentric lamallae
b. circumferential lamallae
c. perforating canal
d. haversian/central canal
e. trabaculae

that kept my mind off of mcats but now i dont know what to do till tues...

I scored a 35: 11 PS, 10 VR, 14 BS. Now, for the essay: L :oops: WTF? English is my first language. I have no idea what happened there.
I'm happy with my overall score, even thouh it is 2 points lower than my AAMC average (12 PS 11 VR 14 BS). I ran out of time in the PS section and randomly guessed at the last passage and the last set of discretes. Unless I got really lucky with my guessing, I'm thinking PS had a pretty decent curve.

Hope you all get the scores you want!

Last edited:
30Q for me. Pretty surprised at how low it was. I knew I was going to get bad on PS.

PS: 9
VR: 9
BS: 12

Hey guys,
I've been following this thread ever since I finished the exam on September 12th. It's been a rough month waiting but now that scores are up, I just have to tell you all something. If you're happy with your score, congrats and good luck with the application process :) If you feel like killing yourself...here's my story...the first time I took the MCAT I got a 24 (9,9,6). I felt depressed for a while and I felt like it was a sign that I couldn't be a good doctor. Luckily I had supportive friends and family who believed in me. So I got my act together, studied hard, didn't have a social life for a while and I just got a 33 (11, 11, 11). So trust me, if I can do it you can too!

Members don't see this ad :)
PS: 10
VR: 8
BS: 11
WS: M

hahah suprising score. I consistently scored 10-11s on my VR aamc practice tests and I thought my PS was gonna be around an 8. It somehow flipped.

WS was what I expected. Didn't put any effort into that part.

Guess it's time to hit the VR and PS twice as hard as I did before. 1/30/2009 thread here I come.

For everyone who got a good score, congrats! I know you all worked hard for it.

For everyone who got below 30, don't fret. It's 1 test. Just gotta pick yourself back up, figure out what you did wrong, and kill it.

27Q...(VR: 9, PS: 7, BS: 11)

now I'm depressed :( I can't even apply to med schools anymore...

Do you mean you can't apply this year (pretty late anyway) or at all? Your score is competitive for osteopathic schools and you can always retake if you are set on allopathic schools. Don't beat yourself up too much. I know it's really disappointing but try to figure out why you scored low on the PS. How were you doing on practice tests? Had you really mastered the material prior to the exam? Was it just nerves during the test? Did you have problems with time management? If you can identify why you had trouble with the PS and address the issue(s), you can bring that 7 up. Trust me, it can be done.

PS: 10
VR: 8
BS: 11
WS: M

hahah suprising score. I consistently scored 10-11s on my VR aamc practice tests and I thought my PS was gonna be around an 8. It somehow flipped.

WS was what I expected. Didn't put any effort into that part.

Guess it's time to hit the VR and PS twice as hard as I did before. 1/30/2009 thread here I come.

For everyone who got a good score, congrats! I know you all worked hard for it.

For everyone who got below 30, don't fret. It's 1 test. Just gotta pick yourself back up, figure out what you did wrong, and kill it.

I didn't put much effort into the WS either, so I figured I'd get a mediocre score. But L? Yeah, I suck.

BTW, I don't think your VR is that bad. I think 8 makes the cut at a bunch of schools, but I could be wrong. GL with your studying though.

Last edited:
27Q...(VR: 9, PS: 7, BS: 11)

now I'm depressed :( I can't even apply to med schools anymore...
U CAN get into med schools with that score if the other parts of your application are strong. i know, I was a 27R and got in to 4 schools. it depends on how much you want it, or if you are the type to just give up.
i don't know you, but i KNOW lots of people in my class with this score and much, much lower.
good luck!
sherruns
OMS II

My scores PS 06 VR 11 BS 09 M. I knew the PS section killed me, but I still hoped for better. Now, I don't know what to do. I am so sad. :( I am so tired of studying. I now have to decide whether to take a chance and throw some apps out this year or just call it quits for this cycle.

26 M

U CAN get into med schools with that score if the other parts of your application are strong. i know, I was a 27R and got in to 4 schools. it depends on how much you want it, or if you are the type to just give up.
i don't know you, but i KNOW lots of people in my class with this score and much, much lower.
good luck!
sherruns
OMS II

Wow... thks. I really needed to hear that. I really thought that the magic 10-10-10 was an absolute cutoff for all schools. And you are right: if I quit now, it will just mean that I didn't want to go into med school, which isn't the case. I think I only need to forget this bad news, go out tonight, get drunk, and re-think about the solutions and possibilities on Sunday (tomorrow I'll be too hungover).

Thanks a lot for your support. It really helped. I hope that I, or someone else, will be around if you ever need help to one day. :)

32 Q = 10/10/12

Not super happy but Satisfied :)

Won't be taking it again !

10 verbal, 10 bio, 9 ps. DAMNIT PS. 29s are so annoying, but I guess I should have expected it since I got 30's on my previous 2 AAMC practice tests.

M on writing? WHAAA?????????? I thought my essays were good :shrug:

Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted and for those who didn't....maybe I'll see you in January :oops:

31R, dead for Canada eh? Gotta re-write from 9 in VR. Blame Canada!

Hola, did you already apply for OMSAS this year? If you have, the 9 won't kill you. U of T takes 9s. But queen's and western are more stringent. And I know that Dalhousie will take a composite of 30+ and will excuse a 9 in a section. p.s. Dalhousie's application isn't due until Nov 2nd.

But, if you haven't applied yet, then a re-write doesn't sound too bad. You can bring your VR up, and also ace the other sciences.

Good luck. It all works out in the end :) Just gotta have faith in God and do the best that you can do, and make a positive difference any way you can while you're at it.

Best,

AG

Hola, did you already apply for OMSAS this year? If you have, the 9 won't kill you. U of T takes 9s. But queen's and western are more stringent. And I know that Dalhousie will take a composite of 30+ and will excuse a 9 in a section. p.s. Dalhousie's application isn't due until Nov 2nd.

But, if you haven't applied yet, then a re-write doesn't sound too bad. You can bring your VR up, and also ace the other sciences.

Good luck. It all works out in the end :) Just gotta have faith in God and do the best that you can do, and make a positive difference any way you can while you're at it.

Best,

AG
Thanks man. I'm not too concerned. I like my job now so I can hold out another year. My boss and I were looking at this as a test run. Yeah I'll decide to write again in May.

My GPA is actually 3.7 cGPA, not sure how Dal will look at that, especially as an OOP.

Nooo, scores can't be out yet! I'm not mentally prepared. I'm freaking out over here and I'm having a big weekend with my friends out of town. I don't know if I should check or not. It will either make the weekend that much better or ruin it!

Noooo!

My hands are shaking. My face is tingling and I feel like I'm gonna throw up. But i won't need to retake. 41S (14/13/14)

Well, I did ****ty. I knew I blew PS, but I bombed BS too, which I thought I had done so well in...

VS - 9
BS - 5
PS - 4
18 - O

Anyone else brave enough to post a ****ty score??? I got an A in Ochem, an A in Gen Chem, A & B in Physics and A & B in Biology. How could I do so poorly on the MCAT? I took tons of practice tests...

Probably not meant to be this time around. Will have to re-group...:rolleyes:

Well, I did ****ty. I knew I blew PS, but I bombed BS too, which I thought I had done so well in...

VS - 9
BS - 5
PS - 4
18 - O

Anyone else brave enough to post a ****ty score??? I got an A in Ochem, an A in Gen Chem, A & B in Physics and A & B in Biology. How could I do so poorly on the MCAT? I took tons of practice tests...

I am sorry. I feel terrible tonight too. Just know you have a lot of company out there.

Congrats to all who did well.

Holy ****!

37 Q!!!!

Very very happy. Maybe I'll think about applying to some American schools now...

So, I couldn't sleep so I decided to peruse this forum....
I can't believe our scores were released so early!

Hooray!

For everyone who did great, congrats!

For everyone else, don't worry, you can do it =)

Last edited:
PS - 10
VR - 11
BS - 12
Writing - S

Total: 33 S

A little below my AAMC average but only by about one point so I am alright with it. I would have liked a 36 or so but hey, it is what it is!

I just got back from celebrating. I got a 39P. Writing fail lol.

14: PS
10: VR
15: BS

I was quite surprised.Good luck to everyone else. :)

I'm brave enough... 18R first one, 20R second one and I just got an 18R this one - this time I got all 6's.

like you I got all A's too (well not in physics!) I was doing very well too on the practice tests - I can't understand how this happened - because for the last test I really worked hard at it - Plus I had the Kaplan course with private tutoring for the last 2 tests. I didn't want you to feel alone - feel free to private message me. By the way - my GPA is like a 3.85 too. I had everything else you need to get in as well.

VS - 9
BS - 5
PS - 4
18 - O

To my peers on this column...I just want to thank all of you for getting me through this wait. Mad props to DocnAbox for giving us good laughs in our hours of stalking this msg board.

Now for my score: I know by some standards on SDN this would be a disappointment but all I wanted was to crack 30 and I am to put it lightly, absolutely elated right now.

PS: 10 VR:11 BS:10 WS: R TOTAL: 31R

Gotta love the balance there as well! It truly is a beautifully symmetric score! Anyways my friends, I sincerely wish you all the best in your medical endeavors. I hope that our paths will cross someday and we can laugh in looking back at this torture we've been through.

To those who did not achieve their desired score: This was my second time taking this beast and I can only say work, work, work, work and you shall be rewarded.

sighes.

i was expecting higher, scored 2 points below my average, but i guess i am not retaking.

36Q

Last edited:
scores ??? i logged into my account and found no scores ...the page says oct 13 as the date . where did you guys go to see the scores? i am quite confused

I did absolutely no studying or practice tests even though I had it all available to me for over 8 months (i am a really bad procrastinator). I made a 29 on the mcat 10/10/9 with 9 in physical sciences. assuming that i can make myself study for a couple months, how much can I expect my score go up?
thanks!!

I got a 23L. 8PS 8VR 7BS. I'm actually not mad, I did a really half ass job studying and I didn't study BS at ALL, I took no practice tests and I got through 4 chapters of PS and took absolutely no verbal practice.

I'm actually kind of glad I didn't do sub 20, because this shows that if I REALLY study, I could do amazing things on this test.

My dad's going to say, "Son, I am disappoint", but regardless...I have some hope.

P.s. What's with all the bad writing scores.

P 11
V 11
B 13
Writing Q

35Q overall. I am so pumped right now. I averaged 33 on AAMC practice exams. My verbal was higher than I expected. There was definitely a generous curve on physical sciences too.

Wow, I didn't even realize that the scores had been released until I checked the forums today (I've been silently stalking).

VR: 13
PS: 12
BS: 13
38Q

I'm very surprised by my results. I took 2 practice tests, and I was expecting around a 38--but the spread was a shock. Normally, I scored a 14 and 13 on the BS, and PS respectively, and an 11 on verbal. I'm quite happy with my score, and I'm glad that the three are fairly even. And a Q is good for me--my writing isn't fabulous. I don't know what happened with BS, I was sure I had done better; and the PS doesn't surprise me--they tested my weak spots. But I only ever averaged an 11 on my verbal: so whoot!

I know I could have studied harder--but I'm just so glad I don't have to take that monster again! My computer frozen during the writing section and shut down; and I could hear my hard drive spinning (the passages took 30s-1 min to load each) throughout the test. Despite my complaints-they wouldn't switch my computer until after it froze. Oh well--it didn't seem to hurt me too much.

PS 9
VR 6
BS 8
W: M

I have a few issues to address with these scores over the next few months as I prepare for the next test. I think reading comprehension played the biggest role in this EPIC FAIL. I've got even more to prove now, and another chip on these weighted shoulders. I'm out for blood...

I'm happy for all of those with good scores, and I hope those people with bad scores are more motivated. Good luck with your applications!

NOW, please excuse me as I pee on these Kaplan books...