09/12/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fudge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just officially signed up for this beast. It's early but I figured this thread could provide some moral support to keep me on track with studying:) I have not done a couple of the pre-requisites, so slow and steady works for me. Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everybody (Dr. Nick)! Sorry for the late update but I just got back from Oxford watching Ole Miss get slammed. Got back last night and saw that people had posted scores which royally freaked me out. I checked it and saw that I made a 29Q (PS10, VR8, BS11). Some of you may think this is bad and wonder why I am jumping for joy. In the great state of Alabama, you can deff get into MD school with a 29. So.... f'n a Cotton! It's gonna be weird not stalking this message board and figuring out what to do when I am bored at work. Congrats to everyone here who got the score they want and also the ones who didn't. Good luck to everyone applying! I will now leave you with my favorite joke and the comedian of the day.

A Florida businessman was getting ready to go on a long business trip, so he thought he'd buy his wife something to keep her occupied. He went to a sex shop and explained his situation. The man there said,
'Well, I don't know that I have anything that will keep her occupied for so many weeks, except ... the Voodoo Penis !'
The husband said 'The what' ?
The man repeated 'The Voodoo Penis' and pulled out what seemed to be an ordinary dildo.
The husband laughed, and said, 'It looks like a dildo !'
The man then pointed to the door and said, 'Voodoo Penis, door !'
The penis rose out of its box, darted over to the door and started pounding the keyhole. The whole door shook wildly with vibrations, so much that a crack began to form down the middle. Then the man said
'Voodoo Penis, return to box !' and the penis stopped and returned to the box.
The husband bought it. He took it home to his wife, And after the husband had been gone a few days, the wife remembered the Voodoo Penis.
She undressed, opened the box and said 'Voodoo Penis, my crotch.' The penis shot to her crotch. It was absolutely incredible. After three mind shattering orgasms, she became very exhausted and decided she'd had enough. She tried to pull it out, but it was stuck. Her husband had neglected to tell her how to turn it off. So she put her clothes on, got in her car and started for the hospital.
On the way, another incredibly intense orgasm made her swerve all over the road. A police officer saw this and immediately pulled her over.
He asked for her license, and then asked how much she'd had to drink.
Gasping and twitching, the woman said 'I haven't had anything to drink
officer. You see, I've got this Voodoo Penis thing stuck in my crotch and it won't stop screwing me .'
The officer looked at her for a second, shook his head and replied,
'Yeah right ... Voodoo Penis, my ass!'

And now... the final Comedian of the Day... Mr. Richard Pryor

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txp8B4ek_kk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my scores!

VR - 10
PS - 5
BS - 9
Writing - O

Total - 24O

I absolutely bombed PS. I never had a score that low on a practice exam even before starting to study. Guess I can't complain. Didn't study much and took 1 practice test. We'll see how this app goes, maybe do postbacc or retake this spring. Sounds like fun.

Last edited:
VR 6
PS 12
BS 11

Total: 29Q

FML about VR. I was doing 8-10 on practice tests. I completely bombed it and it took a major toll on my score! AHG. I REALLY did not want to put up with this test anymore but I guess I have to suck it up and bring up that VR score.

I thought I had done WAYYY better in BS. I'm really surprised about that one. I felt like AMAZING about it.

12/11/13 36P

On those damn aamc's i was getting like avg 39, my goal was actually a 42 lol.

But when i actually took the test, i felt like i got a 28

So i guess i got way less than my goal, but way higher than expected

End result = drunken weekend :D

VR 6
PS 12
BS 11

Total: 29Q

FML about VR. I was doing 8-10 on practice tests. I completely bombed it and it took a major toll on my score! AHG. I REALLY did not want to put up with this test anymore but I guess I have to suck it up and bring up that VR score.

I thought I had done WAYYY better in BS. I'm really surprised about that one. I felt like AMAZING about it.

Hey! I just read your post and I thought it was odd that your VR score was so low compared to your practice tests...did u feel badly about it while you were taking the test? Did you skip more questions than usual? Just curious... :)

I was surprised to see that these scores were released early. I got a 35R, 11V/12B/12P. It was within my AAMC range (34-39, with a 36.8 average), and I am SUPER relieved to be done with this beast.

Congratulations to everyone! To those who are disappointed, never give up on yourself. You can still retake and you probably have more options than you think :) At the very least, we're done. Woot!

Wow not that many 39 + scores. A lot of people got a 39 and above when I took it on the 21st of August. May me feel ashamed of my 36

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, a 39 is the equivalent to 91 percentile. Not too many people get that score. SDN probably has 80 percent of the those who score that high!

Well, here goes...

9 VR
11 PS
11 BS
O W
_________
31O Total

Definitely disappointing. 2 point drop on each of PS and BS. I don't want to sound ungrateful; I understand that 31 on the MCAT is an achievement that not everyone can accomplish, and it was not attained without many hours of studying. But damn it. I got 34O on the 6/18 test, and I thought I knew my **** even better for this one, especially the writing. By that I mean I practiced more than ever before. AND I got a Q on a previous MCAT, so I know that I can do it (unless I got lucky somehow that time - doubt it). 'Knew' more content for PS and BS. VR I admittedly winged it as I always have, yet I got my lowest mark so far. Lucky for me my school takes the highest mark, so this one doesn't hurt me, but it sure as hell doesn't help, either. However, that 34O probably isn't going to get me in with my GPA. Ah well.

Well, here goes...

9 VR
11 PS
11 BS
O W
_________
31O Total

Definitely disappointing. 2 point drop on each of PS and BS. I don't want to sound ungrateful; I understand that 31 on the MCAT is an achievement that not everyone can accomplish, and it was not attained without many hours of studying. But damn it. I got 34O on the 6/18 test, and I thought I knew my **** even better for this one, especially the writing. By that I mean I practiced more than ever before. AND I got a Q on a previous MCAT, so I know that I can do it (unless I got lucky somehow that time - doubt it). 'Knew' more content for PS and BS. VR I admittedly winged it as I always have, yet I got my lowest mark so far. Lucky for me my school takes the highest mark, so this one doesn't hurt me, but it sure as hell doesn't help, either. However, that 34O probably isn't going to get me in with my GPA. Ah well.

WinterPegger, why would you ever retake the MCAT after getting a 34O? That's great! What is you GPA that makes you think you must ace the MCAT... it can't be done, by the way...

Lol, if you really want to be super picky, I got a 39 and it states the percentile range is 99.2-99.4.
hahaaha i just figured in his excitement he forgot a 9 and forgot a decimal. i got 39's on a few aamcs, and for some reason i remembered them to be around 99.1%

Well, here goes...

9 VR
11 PS
11 BS
O W
_________
31O Total

Yeah, that would be a kick in the balls for sure. Sorry to hear that. Good luck this cycle.

So I ditched this thread and sdn in general for a while after taking the MCAT last month, mainly because I wanted to not worry about it and focus on my school work. I see a bunch of people have started posting their scores, so I figured I'd join in:

10 VR
11 PS
13 BS
S W
Total: 34S

I'm pumped... don't have to worry about taking it again. Though this is lower than what I was averaging on AAMCs (~37), it's fine. Was expecting a bit higher on verbal, but I'm happy with the score overall. I'm taking a year off, so I won't be starting applications until next summer, but I'm beginning the process of generally looking at schools. Congrats to everyone who scored where they wanted to! And good luck to everyone planning on taking it again... you can absolutely rock it this time around.

11BS 9VR 12PS

32M

A point or two below my average but not too bad I guess, I'm really worried about that M though :(
How much of a role do you guys think the writing sample will play when they're reviewing my app? Thanks

Not much at all, except for UCSD which secretly assigns a number to your letter =).

oh does it? wow, I go there for undergrad and didn't know that
oh well, they're average mcat is about 35 anyway so no chance either way haha

oh does it? wow, I go there for undergrad and didn't know that
oh well, they're average mcat is about 35 anyway so no chance either way haha

Yep! PM me if you wanna know more, theres super duper sekrits about UCSD's acceptance policy. Btw i go there too, are you a 4th year? And if so by any chance are you in bipn 102 right now lol?

Hey! I just read your post and I thought it was odd that your VR score was so low compared to your practice tests...did u feel badly about it while you were taking the test? Did you skip more questions than usual? Just curious... :)

I knew I was doing ****ty on VR going into the test since I usually ended up having to guess on the last passage, but even then I scored 8-10 because I usually did well on the rest of the passages. On the real thing, it didn't feel much different.

I actually don't have any idea how I pulled such a low score off. All I know is I'm pissed that I have to take this thing again just for VR. I LOATHE that section now.

I knew I was doing ****ty on VR going into the test since I usually ended up having to guess on the last passage, but even then I scored 8-10 because I usually did well on the rest of the passages. On the real thing, it didn't feel much different.

I actually don't have any idea how I pulled such a low score off. All I know is I'm pissed that I have to take this thing again just for VR. I LOATHE that section now.

Lol. I completely understand your frustration with Verbal. I took a Princeton Review class this summer and to be honest, even though they have some good techniques, Verbal is really up to the individual as to how you approach it. The one good thing I learned was to randomly guess a passage (fill in all a's or something) and then use that time to really kick butt on the remaining passages. This helped me a lot. The other thing that helped me going into the exam was reading a lot of news/articles (like the Times Literary Supplement or The New Yorker) and just summing up the main point in my head. I'm sure you'll do great...most people say you gotta go into the MCAT loathing it so much you want to kill it. hahaha.

After getting a 6 in verbal for my first MCAT (9/3/08) I decided to get Examkrackers 101 verbal. It was brutal but got my AAMCs up to an 11 for verbal... I was also reading the economist everyday using the EK method. I was deff ready to tackle this test... I got an 8! Just shows you how different the real MCAT is and how random VR is. Did y'alls AAMCS match your real MCAT? My Avg for June 18th was a 30 and I got a 26M. One month more of studying later for Sept. 12 my avg was a 32 and I got a 29Q. Apparently my writing improved greatly! or not. I actually practiced the writing when I got an M. No practice and got a Q. I think writing section is bogus.

After getting a 6 in verbal for my first MCAT (9/3/08) I decided to get Examkrackers 101 verbal. It was brutal but got my AAMCs up to an 11 for verbal... I was also reading the economist everyday using the EK method. I was deff ready to tackle this test... I got an 8! Just shows you how different the real MCAT is and how random VR is. Did y'alls AAMCS match your real MCAT? My Avg for June 18th was a 30 and I got a 26M. One month more of studying later for Sept. 12 my avg was a 32 and I got a 29Q. Apparently my writing improved greatly! or not. I actually practiced the writing when I got an M. No practice and got a Q. I think writing section is bogus.

To be honest.... VR is the one section I NEVER studied/practice or tried to improve my score on.... In my opinion VR depends on the passages they give you (unfortunately ><).... My scores ranged from 8-14 on the practice exams and I got a 10 on the real mcat... ( Thankfully only had two bad passages: one religion and one history/renassaince passage that I didn't understand)

Last edited:
I didn't even know scores were up until today.

I got a 14 PS/11 VR/15 BS for a total of 40Q.

This is my first time taking the MCAT, and I studied on my own, so I don't know what to think. I know 40 is a good score, but my GPA is not stellar, so I was hoping to get a very good MCAT score (41 or 42) to cover for it. I feel like I could do better on verbal. Is it worth retaking to get a 41 or 42?

Hmm. I can see how my post must have sounded like trolling. That was not my intention, so I apologize if I offended anyone.

Hmm. I can see how my post must have sounded like trolling. That was not my intention, so I apologize if I offended anyone.

Ahh, okay. My bad. In my opinion, I'd honestly say that once you get a 38 or higher on the MCAT, there's no functional difference between the scores. Is there any real difference between scoring in the 99th percentile and the 99.6th percentile? If you have a 40, just sit pretty on it and instead work to remediate your GPA. I don't believe a 43 would get you into anywhere that a 40 wouldn't, so putting more effort into the MCAT when you've already done so well is probably an inefficient use of your time and energy. Focusing on your grades or extracurricular activities may have better yields.

Seriously, a 40 vs a 41 or 42 is not that big of a difference (maybe .01 in terms of percentile)... If you have a low GPA, a 41 on the MCAT isn't going to make your GPA look any higher than the 40 you already have. Keep your score and don't risk the chance of getting below a 40 (which is probably more likely than going up a point of two)

Welp, here it is:

9PS
10VR
11 BS

total: 30 Q

My gpa so far is hovering around a 3.2, hoping to bring it up this year.

My science GPA is even more unsettling. I'm thinking a retake is in order...thoughts?

Welp, here it is:

9PS
10VR
11 BS

total: 30 Q

My gpa so far is hovering around a 3.2, hoping to bring it up this year.

My science GPA is even more unsettling. I'm thinking a retake is in order...thoughts?

I personallly thing that you're GPA is a little weak with a MCAT of 30Q to be considered competitive in MD schools so if you really just want MD retake (but if I were you I would just try to improve GPA if thats possible). I think you'd be ok in DO schools though!

I didn't even know scores were up until today.

I got a 14 PS/11 VR/15 BS for a total of 40Q.

This is my first time taking the MCAT, and I studied on my own, so I don't know what to think. I know 40 is a good score, but my GPA is not stellar, so I was hoping to get a very good MCAT score (41 or 42) to cover for it. I feel like I could do better on verbal. Is it worth retaking to get a 41 or 42?
sure dude retake. I mean a 40 is a great score but if you think you can do better retake and get that 45. I wish you well on your retake you will definitely reach your goal the second time around.

sure dude retake. I mean a 40 is a great score but if you think you can do better retake and get that 45. I wish you well on your retake you will definitely reach your goal the second time around.

I really, REALLY hope you're being sarcastic.

EZSANCHE I literally laughed out loud when i read your reply!!! LOLLL

Let me tell you guys my story.

English is not my first language, and actually I just came here three and a half year ago. I am currently studying as a junior in one of the UCs. I took MCAT on september 12th and just got my score back last week.

Total 29Q
PS 12 BS 10 Verbal 7

I am not happy with it since it is not competitive enough. My EC is not that great either. I only have like 100 hours hospital volunteer service and some other volunteers (tutor, crowd directer, stuff like that), joined a couple of clubs (only 3), and used to be an officer for one of these clubs, worked as a medical assistant for one summer. Now I'm working at a neuroscience research lab, and probably by the time when I apply for med schools, I would have one year research experience. I think I'm going to retake MCAT and hopefully score at least 30+. And my current GPA is 3.95 overall, and 3.9 for science major. But do you guys think I can get a shot to get into any med schools (like UCLA, UCI, UCSD...etc.) in California?

I really need some suggestions, thank you!

English is not my first language, and actually I just came here three and a half year ago. I am currently studying as a junior in one of the UCs. I took MCAT on september 12th and just got my score back last week.

Total 29Q
PS 12 BS 10 Verbal 7

I am not happy with it since it is not competitive enough. My EC is not that great either. I only have like 100 hours hospital volunteer service and some other volunteers (tutor, crowd directer, stuff like that), joined a couple of clubs (only 3), and used to be an officer for one of these clubs, worked as a medical assistant for one summer. Now I'm working at a neuroscience research lab, and probably by the time when I apply for med schools, I would have one year research experience. I think I'm going to retake MCAT and hopefully score at least 30+. And my current GPA is 3.95 overall, and 3.9 for science major. But do you guys think I can get a shot to get into any med schools (like UCLA, UCI, UCSD...etc.) in California?

You're EC is fine in my opinion... Definitely just retake the MCATS and concentrate more on practicing verbal and get at least a 10 on the retake

Total 29Q
PS 12 BS 10 Verbal 7

I don't know how much water the "English isnt my first language and have only been here 3.5 years" holds bc you have a Q in writing. I know writing is BS but if you got at least that high than you speak the language pretty well (or is it good?), haha. I only got an 8 and I only know the English language ( and some spanish cuss words). I believe some people, like me and you, are just bad at reading comprehension. It doesn't mean we are less smart... It just means we were getting laid in highschool and college while others were furiously reading. Haha, I'm just kidding to all. I just love this thread and wanted to keep it going.

ladies-man.jpg

My name is Leon Phelps, and to those of you that are uninitiated, I am an expert in the ways of love. I have made love to many fine ladies from the lowliest bus station skank to the classiest most sophisticated, educated, debutant, high society... bus station skank.

What is love? What is this longing in our hearts for togetherness? Is it not the sweetest flower? Does not this flower of love have the fragrant aroma of fine, fine diamonds? Does not the wind love the dirt? Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to? Are you with someone tonight? Do not question your love. Take your lover by the hand. Release the power within yourself. Your heard me, release the power. Tame the wild cosmos with a whisper. Conquer heaven with one intimate caress. That's right don't be shy. Whip out everything you got and do it in the butt.

-Leon Phelps

I don't know how much water the "English isnt my first language and have only been here 3.5 years" holds bc you have a Q in writing. I know writing is BS but if you got at least that high than you speak the language pretty well (or is it good?), haha. I only got an 8 and I only know the English language ( and some spanish cuss words). I believe some people, like me and you, are just bad at reading comprehension. It doesn't mean we are less smart... It just means we were getting laid in highschool and college while others were furiously reading. Haha, I'm just kidding to all. I just love this thread and wanted to keep it going.

Well, I take that as a compliment. But yeah, I only have been here for three and a half year. When I was in high school, a lot of people made fun of my accent. It wasn't a fun experience, indeed =( I studied super hard to try to speak like a real American, but now I still have a little bit accent (not as bad as before though :)).The worst thing is every time when I finished a verbal practice set, I thought I did it well, but it turned out to be a disaster (never scored over a 7) :(