1 Month left till MCAT! Prep Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN family,

For the last 3 months, I've been enrolled in a Kaplan course and have been doing light review. I am currently at the one month mark with my MCAT scheduled for May 20. Here is my plan for the home stretch.

Week 1: Do 2 full lengths and do a final review of the Biology/Biochemistry content. This week I will also be reviewing for finals but since my finals are in biochemistry and physiology, the 2 reviews will run well together.

Week 2-3: Do a full length every other day with the day in between spent reviewing target concepts which I got wrong or didn't understand using Kaplan books and videos.

Week 4: 1 more AAMC full length and review memorization content (amino acids, functional groups, hormones) until the exam with the day before completely off.

Additionally, I plan on doing at least 1 or 2 CARS passages a day.

How does this sound? Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking the Kaplan course right now as well and am around the same point as you in my studies. So far my tentative plan is similar to yours. With some slight additions.

-will be spacing FL's out 1 every 3days
-trying to get through Kaplan FL 5
-both the AAMC tests the week before
-supplementing specific issues with khan
-during the days I'm not taking a FL either take 2 sections tests a day and review them or break down reviews into 2hr content+30mins worth of passages per test section(8hrs + 2hrs+breaks between)
-complete the other AAMC materials within the last 2 weeks
-flashcards when i can

Sorry my points are disorganized these are just tentative thoughts, starting to get very nervous as I've only taken one FL and was not too happy. I would like to know a solid last month schedule as well, so I'll be lurking this thread haha. Best of luck OP hope someone has a solid proven plan to offer for us!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hey SDN family,

For the last 3 months, I've been enrolled in a Kaplan course and have been doing light review. I am currently at the one month mark with my MCAT scheduled for May 20. Here is my plan for the home stretch.

Week 1: Do 2 full lengths and do a final review of the Biology/Biochemistry content. This week I will also be reviewing for finals but since my finals are in biochemistry and physiology, the 2 reviews will run well together.

Week 2-3: Do a full length every other day with the day in between spent reviewing target concepts which I got wrong or didn't understand using Kaplan books and videos.

Week 4: 1 more AAMC full length and review memorization content (amino acids, functional groups, hormones) until the exam with the day before completely off.

Additionally, I plan on doing at least 1 or 2 CARS passages a day.

How does this sound? Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
What is your current MCAT score? What is you score goal? Without this info no one can give you any realistic advice. I would say you are likely way overestimating your ability to properly take review and then study based off a FL exam performance in only 48 hours. I would say take no more than 2 FLs a week.

Day 1: Take, maybe minimally review and examine performance, but better just to relax rest of day
Day 2: Review exam performance in depth, identifying all mistakes made, reasons for those mistakes 9content vs. thinking) what you need to practice re-read or tweak with regard to strategy and timing. By the end you will have a list of homework to do based on your results. This step often takes as long if not longer than taking the exam.
Day 3: do the homework and review you identified on day 2.

Then repeat, but keep 1 day off per week to prevent burnout. Even in med school I took at least a half day off per week. The MCAT is not nearly as bad, though I know it doesn't feel that way sometimes. Your brain will thank you for the rest and your test performance will be better for it. ;-)

Hope this helps, good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
@NextStepTutor_2 Good advice. Thank you! I've taken a Kaplan diagnostic and a full length. Both were 500. This was at the beginning of my prep so I'm hoping I've developed in the last 2 months of studying and practicing. My target is a 507 or 508.