12+ Interviews and No Match or SOAP, How to strengthen application for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, so can we now agree to ignore said annoyingly insufferable poster? There's legitimately no reason to keep this obnoxious side conversation going and it's kind of rude to the OP given the nature of this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Update:
I’ve been offered at TRI at a program in New York. I have accepted the offer. I plan to studying for COMLEX Level 3 now and take it as soon as the internship starts in july. I plan on becoming a certified Mental Health First Aid Instructor next month and hold courses to certify community members in mental health education. The TRI program I will be at doesn’t have any Psych but they are in network/ affliated with a huge health system that does have Psych programs at a number of hospitals. The PD said he will help me set up my electives with them, etc and apply broadly this time around with some back up specialities as well.

In your opinion what else can I do to be more competitive next cycle? I Will be getting help with interviewing techniques since a lot of you think that’s where I may be lacking.

Also I heard programs where I applied and interviewed this last cycle won’t revist my application if I apply to them again? Someone told me this for a different speciality. Is it true for Psych? Any ideas?

Thank you all for help! This thread really took off. That was not my intent. lol

Reactions: 3 users
Update:
I’ve been offered at TRI at a program in New York. I have accepted the offer. I plan to studying for COMLEX Level 3 now and take it as soon as the internship starts in july. I plan on becoming a certified Mental Health First Aid Instructor next month and hold courses to certify community members in mental health education. The TRI program I will be at doesn’t have any Psych but they are in network/ affliated with a huge health system that does have Psych programs at a number of hospitals. The PD said he will help me set up my electives with them, etc and apply broadly this time around with some back up specialities as well.

In your opinion what else can I do to be more competitive next cycle? I Will be getting help with interviewing techniques since a lot of you think that’s where I may be lacking.

Also I heard programs where I applied and interviewed this last cycle won’t revist my application if I apply to them again? Someone told me this for a different speciality. Is it true for Psych? Any ideas?

Thank you all for help! This thread really took off. That was not my intent. lol

You likely need to practice for mock interviews. Also you need someone to look over your application materials including personal statement, etc. I would imagine that most programs would still interview you for a second time some may not even remember that they interviewed you.
After I screwed up my rank list, I interviewed at some of the same places I interiewed at the prior year, and actually matched at one of them as well. So I would imagine that it wouldn't be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update:

Be sure not to overextend yourself to the point where you burn out in your TRI or don't have as much time for interviews as you'd like. Working on interviews is probably your best bet, that and applying broadly, and going on as many interviews as you can.

Its so program specific whether they would revisit your application or not, so I wouldn't take it much into account. Its less likely they'll rank you to match (they didn't this year afterall), but who knows what will happen next year. You'll need to apply to many programs.

I would reapply to the programs you interviewed at this year if you're still interested in them. It's possible that you just narrowly missed matching at one or more of these programs. Worst case scenario, you lose some money, best case scenario you'll match at one of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds reassuring. But I thought psych was about the holistic approach to the entire applicant, lol and not just scores. Problem is every student is applying to hundreds of programs so programs spend less and less time on each app, unfortunately.

What did you write in your PS? Sometimes people are selected based on scores then, at interview day, a closer look at their application happens. If there were any concerns (your health, your mental health) that we're minimally referred to in a PS it may have had a different impact in person. I've seen applicants that the committee thought might just be "quirky" on paper who quickly accelerated to DNR in person. If there's anything colorful in your PS that could be interpreted by someone as a red flag consider removing it and not bringing this up at interviews even if you thought initially psych was a tolerant and accepting field. It's not. Most PDs don't want even the hint of a risk. Unless forced by a lawyer.

Nice solid numbers you shouldn’t have any trouble just give it some time. Inbox me if you need to I’m here to help

He has 5 posts and all of them are something encouraging + telling people to inbox him. 5/10 do not trust

Lol that’s is pretty odd I wonder what’s going on