This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandu_cheeks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm asking this on behalf of students who are interviewing this week in the aftermath of this election. I think it's fair to assume that we may potentially face questions from interviewers about the future of medicine with a Trump presidency and the Republican-dominated House and Senate. If asked such a question, what do you suppose would be the best way to respond?
What questions do you anticipate?

Well realistically, I'm not anticipating any questions directly related to the outcome of the election. I feel like it would be unprofessional to discuss politics in an interview setting, and I would never be the first to bring it up. But just in case it gets brought up by the interviewer as casual small talk or as a stress interview question (ex. how do you feel about Trump? how will the ACA be affected by the new government), I would like to be prepared.
Idk, speak factually about it. Trump won, will of the electorate. ACA may be on the chopping block if pre election promises are to be kept. You feel bad for people with prexisiting conditions or those who may reach lifetime limits. That's about it. I mean what else is there to discuss. Don't act like you have a chip on your shoulder.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anything I would guess it'd be casual small talk question. What I would do is try to gauge the interviewer's internal sentiments and confirm them, but when in doubt skew moderate and give a reasonable take on both sides of it. I agree with the above poster that you don't want to look like you have a chip on your shoulder (nor, of course, do you want to look exultant.)

Reactions: 1 users
Avoid the topic, it never looks good to start crying mid-interview

Reactions: 35 users
It's not like the pro/con arguments of the affordable care act have changed overnight. You should be well aware of the positions both sides make by now. I also think it's impossible to determine an interviewer's personal position in a short period of time, and I'd be afraid that if you can the person may be gauging if you're just agreeing with them for extra points.

Reactions: 4 users
In some respects they have as 20 million people are now on it and a congress is ready to repeal it with no alternative in sight.
Arguments are still the same as they were the day before the election.

Pros/cons about long debated topics like the merits of ACA are still the same. I think a fair answer to any question about how the healthcare landscape is going to change in the future is "I don't know". Nobody knows how this is going to play out now, and any interviewer who isn't kidding themselves should be able to accept that.

I'd imagine very matter-of-fact tone and information on the subject would be key. The same pros/cons of the ACA will still be at play. Now the new* alternative if the new admistration comes to fruition with their plan will leave many questions and we can't say for certain what restructuring will occur-- or how long we will be in this transitional phase.

Also, don't wear Make America Great Again red hats or imwithher buttons. It's gonna be a rough next set of weeks irrespective of where you stand in the aisle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I had an interview on the morning of election day...
I asked the my interviewer, "are you excited for election day?"
Answer: "Not really, More worried about how the candidates will improve America."
Me: "No matter who's elected, there will be people that unhappy, because well life."
Answer: "True that."
Me: "So Hilary then?"
Answer: An extended glare...
I still don't know who he/she was voting for.
I swear, people treat this **** like religion.

Answer: "Not really, More worried about how the candidates will improve America."
Me: "No matter who's elected, there will be people that unhappy, because well life."

That was an incredibly dumb move and I hope you didn't actually do that.

Reactions: 9 users

I hope for your sake this isn't a real conversation.. (and people wonder how they don't get in anywhere after getting a bunch of interviews:smack:)

If you can have a thoughtful conversation with someone with potentially a different belief structure than you in a calm manner able to see the other side of the issue and talk intelligently then it shouldn't be a problem. If you are steadfast in one particular viewpoint (no matter which side of the aisle you may be one) and can't talk about an issue without burning up with anger and just unable to see the other side of an issue then no, don't talk about it.

On the flip side of this, I know that a student at my school leading an interviewee tour group remarked to them that we (including the interviewees) are all in shock/sad today, or something along those lines. Pretty innapropriate if you ask me, they have no idea what these interviewee's political views are.

I talked about the election as my interview was the morning after the 8th.

Interviewer : so that election
Me:yeah wow, I didn't see that coming
Interviewer : things will change either for good or bad but a change will Happen
Me: hope we can heal the division in our country. Then I started talking about how I'm not American but felt heavily invested in this election and country and see myself more and more as a American. Then we started talking about how we stay fit and then some traditional questions.

That was an incredibly dumb move and I hope you didn't actually do that.

It was fine, you guys over exaggerate. That may have been the only shaky point of the II. If I get rejected, I'm sure it would be for reasons other than this. The rest of the interview was actually quite nice.

If you can have a thoughtful conversation with someone with potentially a different belief structure than you in a calm manner able to see the other side of the issue and talk intelligently then it shouldn't be a problem. If you are steadfast in one particular viewpoint (no matter which side of the aisle you may be one) and can't talk about an issue without burning up with anger and just unable to see the other side of an issue then no, don't talk about it.
This so much x10
This also applies when an interviewer tries to stress you by taking an opposing stance aggressively

I don't think it's appropriate for them to ask you questions about the results of the election.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"I was very surprised. Most of what I had read led me to expect a different outcome."

"I was very surprised. Most of what I had read led me to expect a different outcome."
This. It's a pretty neutral and accurate observation to make.

I wonder what will happen to polling(Monmouth, Quinnipiac, CNN/ORC etc.) now after the results. Interesting point to note was that USC/L.A Times polls as noted by pundits had the closest resemblance to the outcome-- what methodology did they use?

They looked like complete outliers in realclearpolitics(that polling aggregate website) but in the end it was the most indicative of the change culture.