This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dillpicklechips

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It all depends on when you are ready to take the MCAT - and you only want to take it once and do the best possible.

The classic pattern is to take all Chem Bio OChem Physics Biochem prerequisites by the end of Junior year and study for/take the MCAT in May or June, apply in June for matriculation the next summer after the one month it takes to get the MCAT score back. BUT...

If you can't study for the MCAT during school and take it by June 30th at the latest you put yourself at a disadvantage and should probably take a gap year.

But the other factor here is that you are URM, seem to have your grades, ECs and research in place so perhaps taking the MCAT in July or August and applying later would not be a big negative. However you'll have to decide if the risk of applying late (August or September after MCAT score is received is semi-late for some schools*) is worth the benefit of not having to take a gap year. All this assumes that you'll get the MCAT score that you want when you take it.

*Schools like UMichigan normally give out most of their interviews by October so if you're not verified and complete early you may get missed.

Hi guys,

I could really use some help in planning a good school list and deciding whether I should take a gap year (I don't want to, but if it will improve my application, I will).

I'm currently finish my second year. I am an URM (AA, 1st generation - I don't know if this matters) with a 3.7cGPA 3.76sGPA - overall upward trend, with a sGPA dip in my sophomore year. I currently go to the University of Minnesota with a Neuroscience major.

Flaws in my academic record: 4Ws (2 in the same class and it's a prerequisite)......i know, yikes.

Extracurriculars:
-Clinical Hospital Volunteer - around 50ish hours so far and I'm continuing it because the people are amazing

-Mentor through TRIO/Upward Bound - 59ish hours - serving underserved highschools

-Physician shadowing ~ 13 hours so far w/ more to come - primary cary, neurology, neurosurgery, and EM
-Medical Scribe - just started the position, it's two days a week with 5 hour shifts and it's in EM (the specialty i'm leaning towards)

Religious Public Speaker - I go around to schools (mostly) and community centers and explain what my religion is for schools that are having the "World Religions/Geography" curriculum. This was probably one of my favorite experiences and often times it was at very large audiences so it helped me improve my social anxiety.

-Research - Currently 65 hours in an social psychology lab, starting a neuroscience lab at a major EM hospital in the summer and an anxiety research lab (I'm not sure if I should commit to all three, but I'm really interested in all of them).

A little bit more about myself, I'm very into learning about different languages. I grew up bilingual, my native tongue is an Ethiopian language most people haven't heard of. I started learning Spanish when I was in 4th grade and continued it through college, plus it helped that I enjoyed latin music. I also started learning to read and write classical Arabic as a child and it's something I've mastered. For anyone who's into Korean pop culture, I started taking Korean classes mainly to understand the Korean dramas I was watching and the music I was listening to haha. I listen to a lot of foreign music, latin/korean etc.

Outside of this, I like traveling, road tripping, etc. and I'm pretty big into rock climbing and anything that gives me an adrenaline rush. Sorry, this is long. I appreciate any help!! Thank you!!