This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolwoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your odds are high so long as you score above a 500 on the MCAT and apply smart. Remember the DO application cycle is longer. You should be fine.

Your GPA looks awesome. I'm sure you'll have a great shot at getting to DO schools and depending on your MCAT you can also get a shot at MD schools as well. Why not wait for the next applying cycle to get your stuff together and apply early ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your mcat score determines your fate at this point. Rest of app looks good in my opinion. Study hard and make MCAT your life for 3 months. 505+ to be competitive for all DO schools, ~510+ for your state MD (depending on your state of residence) just to be safe. Try and get some more non clinical volunteering and youre golden. apply EARLY i cant stress this enough it is the single easiest thing you can do that really gives you an advantage in the med school app process. Because of your slightly lower sGPA for MD applying early could really give you the edge you need. If you can go MD do it and I think you have a shot it simply opens more doors

Last edited:
Thank you! My issue with applying next cycle is twofold. For one, I don't want to risk ruining my upward trend (because I went from a really bad freshman year to getting 4.0s for multiple semesters in a row, which could def change during senior year), and I also do not want to be in the position where I apply, do not get in after a gap year, and then take another gap year, if that makes sense
Dont feel like you have to rush. This is a common premed mindset. You are young. A gap year isnt the end of the world. I started med school at 28 years old and many of my classmates are mid to late 20s. Its a marathon not a sprint. Gap years are great it gives you time to recharge and enjoy life (med school is really hard and time consuming) and make yourself an even better applicant

Don't take a gap year unless you feel like you need it because your grades don't point in that direction. Aim for >500 MCAT and you should be good if you have good essays.

Agree with others.

500+ will get you some interviews.
507/8+ or so will give you your pick of the lot with few or no exceptions.

Assuming, of course, you have an otherwise competitive application.