This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halcyon_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should be fine with what you have but don’t count on clinical exposure to be one of your strengths.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
25 hrs is fine for DO but I worry that you'll be crowded out by other candidates for MD with more hours.
would you not list future shadowing hours given the situation?

How can you describe an experience that hasn’t happened yet?

I'm applying this cycle and had originally planned to get the bulk of my shadowing done after taking my MCAT in March. Obviously with quarantine restrictions, that has not been possible, which I understand is a drop in the bucket compared to the issues other people are facing at this time. But I'm honestly stressed that at the moment I only have ~25 shadowing hours and I'm a nontrad too. I do have 160+ hours of clinical volunteering, and I plan to jump on finding any shadowing opportunities as soon as quarantine is over.

Is this going to be a nonstarter for my application/is there anything I can do to fix it? Also, should I not list any "future" shadowing hours?
As a nontrad you may well have a compelling application that will overshadow the minimal shadowing. As you do have 25 hours, you are in a far better position than many who waited until the last months to acquire this experience. Just don't apply to schools that state a minimum expectation higher than you've already acquired.
would you not list future shadowing hours given the situation?
If you have scheduled the time and have a Contact to list, you could include the future hours in your narrative description.

Reactions: 1 user