This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

limestrees

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was part of a BS/MD program in undergrad. As part of this program, I was required to submit a TMDSAS application strictly as a formality.

I eventually left the program because unfortunate timing meant I couldn't pursue a dual degree that was important to my career goals as a physician. I worked with the med school's admissions officer for a while to see if anything could be done, and they were extremely supportive and were my main advisor in making this decision. When no workarounds were found, they recommended I drop the program and reapply after I complete the other degree.

That's where I am now. I'm a nontrad soon graduating with my other "joint" degree and applying to medical school. Because I was part of the BS/MD program before, am I a reapplicant? And because I was technically accepted, will I be seen as an applicant who turned down a prior acceptance? Will either of these sink my application? I'm also specifically wondering if the TMDSAS submission is/should be reported to AMCAS schools?

I have clear career goals that I've been working towards that I think I can articulate well. And in my other graduate program I've pursued activities/coursework/volunteering that hopefully makes it clear I'm still committed to medicine. If leaving the BS/MD program after the TMDSAS submission/acceptance is a problem, is there anything I can do to mitigate it? For additional context, I'll have taken 4 gap years by the time I apply.
You should absolutely report it.
Without GPA/MCAT/extracurricular activities, it's hard to say what your chances are.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're fine reporting it. Your circumstances are very unique, and not what schools are concerned about when asking the question. You don't need to apologize for leaving a BS/MD program to pursue related career goals, and no school is going to hold it against you all these years later.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it depends on how "reapplicant" is defined for you since your situation is not typical. I am inclined to say you are not in spirit.
Agreed. But, technically, once you submit an application, you are a reapplicant for the purposes of subsequent applications. Most AMCAS schools do not require BS/MD applicants to submit an AMCAS application until the cycle they will be entering medical school, even though they are provisionally accepted when they enter the program, so people leaving the program before they submit an AMCAS application would not technically be reapplicants if they later apply, consistent with your inclination.

This is different, however, due to the fact that the TMDSAS application was submitted. At the end of the day, though, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other, because, under these circumstances, no school is going to hold the prior application or forfeiture of the acceptance against the applicant, so there is no reason not to simply disclose.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance! Do schools typically give you space to explain a declined acceptance? If so, would repeating the gist (with more detail of course) of the OP suffice?
You will absolutely have an opportunity to explain, either in the section where they ask, or in an "anything else?" section most schools have. Given your story, I promise this is not going to be an issue at all.