15 Things I’ve Learned My First Week of Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

micgirllax57

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
15 Things I’ve Learned My First Week of Med School:
  1. It is absolutely ****ing amazing that any of us are still alive
  2. Our brains can retain a lot more than we give them credit for
  3. Peanut M&M’s are the treatment for the disease that is med school
  4. There is a such thing as having too many resources and too much help (yet still needing more)
  5. There is always someone smarter than you…
  6. …but that doesn’t make you dumb
  7. It’s okay to have an unproductive day
  8. If you haven’t cried yet you will
  9. Feeling overwhelmed doesn’t mean you’re not capable
  10. When you don’t know how to start, write down the title and just keep going—you can reword it later
  11. If the lecture is scheduled that day, then listen to it that day; nothing feels worse than being behind
  12. You are a genetic miracle
  13. Sometimes you just have to say “**** it” and order cheesecake
  14. You will feel guilty about putting something off, but sleep is more important than the 1 extra point you will get on a test from memorizing the insertion of that muscle
  15. When in doubt, remember that you are doing this so you can give your cat a good life

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users
  4. There is a such thing as having too many resources and too much help (yet still needing more)
  10. When you don’t know how to start, write down the title and just keep going—you can reword it later
  11. If the lecture is scheduled that day, then listen to it that day; nothing feels worse than being behind
  14. You will feel guilty about putting something off, but sleep is more important than the 1 extra point you will get on a test from memorizing the insertion of that muscle
  15. When in doubt, remember that you are doing this so you can give your cat a good life

so enlightened

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
“Give your cat a good life”. Hahahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I never went to med school but in pharm school it was totally acceptable to wash down a vivarin pill with a Rockstar or Red Bull.

Please take the following with a certain level of humor:

15 things ive learnt my first week of M2 year... in the times of COVID

1) i cannot remember how to dress professionally anymore.... LIke, for real. Especially in 96 degree weather of southern virginia. More importantly, half of my clothes doesnt fit... Because of "COVID quarantine diet". AKA no diet at all. My standardized patient will just have to be flexible and understanding today.
2) apparently i could not remember what it is like to actually touch a human being either. It felt inappropriate. (i live alone, no relationships, quarantined alone for months). Every physical exam maneuver i did felt incredibly invasive... God, i wonder how M3s are doing now.
3) I am amazed at how much more "flexible" my standards got. Clean apartment? "flexible". Clean clothes? "flexible". Zoom call with research coordinators? Blouse and makeup on top, and old stretched out pants on the bottom: "flexible".
4) My dog is judging me. She is not used to having me so much around. (all lectures online). Every time i walk her, she looks at other people... i think she is plotting an escape.
5)It is DEFINITELY "absolutely ****ing amazing that any of us are still alive".... especially the way i am eating and drinking.... truly amazing.
6) There are so many resources i should be using right now... And honestly i sort of dont care about any of them anymore. Maybe its just me, but i feel like part of you sort of dies by the beginning of the second year. You sort of dont care as much.
7) "There is always someone smarter than you…". True... after today's ultrasound lab, after not touching ultrasound since MARCH, i feel like EVERYONE in the world is smarter than me. My classmates havent said anything, but judging by silent desperation reflecting in their eyes, - we are all on the same page.
8) " …but that doesn’t make you dumb" - WEEEELLLLL>.... hmmmm. maybe it does
9) Havent cried yet. Too tired to cry. Feels so dumb to cry over medical school when people are legitimately dying... Plus i guess i am too tired to cry? Yeah, thats it. I am too tired. We are all to tired. By now me and my classmates (at least the ones i talked to) sort of came to that level of acceptance of reality, no matter how twisted, that whatever happens, you will simply be ok with it and survive.
10) If the lecture is scheduled for that day.... Listen to it by the beginning of next week. Or dont listen to it at all, if B&B has a shorter version. Or listen to it on 1.5 speed while taking a bath. Or playing a video game. You get my point. "Not all lectures are created equal". If someone told me that last year, i would have been offended. Now i get it.
11) i am not a genetic miracle. My heart is almost vertical in my chest (which pisses off all the ultrasound partners i get), my kidneys are vertical, and my lungs are weirdly small.... hmmm... I guess i am sort of a miracle? Regardless, by M2 year, you really dont care.
12) "Sometimes you just have to say “**** it” and order cheesecake"... yep, this is still the same. In my case it is not cheesecake, - i make cookies or pizza. But yeah, spot on!
13) Yes, you still feel guilty if you put something off... except instead of sleeping you watch a tv show or play a video game.... Yeah, not ideal, but you are sort of tired of caring.
14) Every time i feel guilty about lowering a standard for myself, i later realize, that i am a good person, and, hopefully, a good doctor, not because of some perfectionist idealistic expectations of myself, but because of the effort i put into things that i DO care about. So, i put those things first, and give the rest the minimum effort. Yes, maybe i will never be the best because of this. But i feel happier than when i was chasing every single grade, every single position, and every single accomplishment.
15) I used to think that "i" belong to "medical school". Kind of like, They chose me, and i am theirs. Now i realize, - it is not true. They are there for me. To give me resources that i need to be a good doctor. I am a consumer, they are the provider. And it is my job to decide that i want to learn, and consciously guide my experience. No one owes me anything.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Yes ... that's very important ... and you will later become an adcom ... and your cat will be in your avatar! :cat:
oh my god so many things are coming together now... (thinking of all the adcoms here who have cat avatars... hahah)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You didn't learn any medicine or biology??? ( :p )

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
15 things I've learnt since I started med school

1-15:
Admins suck, HARD. Like extremely hard. It's one thing to know it, like on a yeah yeah I know it level. It's another to know it experientially, like a roundhouse kick, Chuck Norris style. All they know how to do is waste your time and money, lie their butts off, and give world class terrible advice

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users

1-15:
Admin sucks, HARD. Like extremely hard. It's one thing to know it, like on a yeah yeah I know it level. It's another to know it experientially, like a roundhouse kick, Chuck Norris style. All they know how to do is waste your time and money, lie their butts off, and give world class terrible advice
Who hurt you

1-15:
Admin sucks, HARD. Like extremely hard. It's one thing to know it, like on a yeah yeah I know it level. It's another to know it experientially, like a roundhouse kick, Chuck Norris style. All they know how to do is waste your time and money, lie their butts off, and give world class terrible advice
What happened ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, you mean your school ppl ? I am so sorry :(((

What helps me to deal with it is to remember: "They can always hurt you more, but they can't stop the clock"

Reactions: 3 users

1-15:
Admins suck, HARD. Like extremely hard. It's one thing to know it, like on a yeah yeah I know it level. It's another to know it experientially, like a roundhouse kick, Chuck Norris style. All they know how to do is waste your time and money, lie their butts off, and give world class terrible advice

I emphatically agree with this sentiment. I do whatever I can to fly under the radar because the people driving the bus have a deficit in their level of common sense that is incompatible with life. Somehow, however, modern medicine has managed to keep them alive. I look forward to learning this type of wizardry :kitty:

1-15:
Better to learn this now as a student than when you’re an attending and you lose your first job with a near million dollar house + toys. Seen it happen.

The suits rule our lives. Whether it be the hospital CEO, the insurance company, the government, Jcaho, whatever. Better to just play their game than risk jeopardizing your career.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Except I have super powers given to me from corporate. Tread lightly, Michael.

That's why nobody likes you Toby. Just waving around your big stick threatening people. Okay okay last derail loool

• Haha
Better to learn this now as a student than when you’re an attending and you lose your first job with a near million dollar house + toys. Seen it happen.

The suits rule our lives. Whether it be the hospital CEO, the insurance company, the government, Jcaho, whatever. Better to just play their game than risk jeopardizing your career.

Yeah, I figure that the best way to avoid the idiocy of most of those admins is to do cash based practice. Alas, I have no real interest in any fields where that's possible.

I emphatically agree with this sentiment. I do whatever I can to fly under the radar because the people driving the bus have a deficit in their level of common sense that is incompatible with life. Somehow, however, modern medicine has managed to keep them alive. I look forward to learning this type of wizardry :kitty:

Yeah, I call it aggressive stupidity. Whatever makes the most BASIC of sense, they will gleefully rush to do the exact opposite.

• Haha
What I learned by the end of first semester:

1)
DBC750CC-ABCC-4DA5-8432-DC6A849B287C.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Reminds me of something my now retired VA attending told me years ago. He was talking about the VA specifically, but I think it applies to pretty much everything in medicine:

“The VA is like an elephant. If you try to get behind it and push you’re just gonna get shat on. If you get in front and try to pull you’re gonna get run over. Best thing to do is just climb up on top and ride.”

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
@slowthai wait, are you all talking about the administrative side of medical school? or clinics/hospitals?

They are all terrible, but I'm currently in the thick of it with the preclinical bench warmers

• Care
  • Sad
They are all terrible, but I'm currently in the thick of it with the preclinical bench warmers
i am so sorry.
I have no idea what the clinical admin things will be like, but out school has amazing administrative side. They are incredibly helpful. I love them.

Oh man. Everything okay?

Yeah, it's just stupid stuff, that's all. Makes you want to sprint headfirst into a wall lol. T-minus three more years, and I'm gone! I appreciate the concern, though.

4-6 and 11 most relatable to me. Personally am doing this to give my dog a good life, but let's not open that can of worms....

Yeah, it's just stupid stuff, that's all. Makes you want to sprint headfirst into a wall lol. T-minus three more years, and I'm gone! I appreciate the concern, though.
IMO I feel like admins take a lot of unnecessary [explitive], at least at my school. Having been an administrator (non-academic) in my previous career, I can see where they're coming from on a lot of things. There's also a lot of stuff that happen behind the scenes that students aren't aware of, so a lot of the criticism of their decision-making is kind of one-sided and unreasonable. We view them as these dinosaurs when in reality they aren't (even if they pretend to be for whatever reason).

Not saying this is your case, I have literally no idea what your story is. But from what I've seen, a lot of med students like to complain about things rather than think them through from all angles.

IMO I feel like admins take a lot of unnecessary [explitive], at least at my school. Having been an administrator (non-academic) in my previous career, I can see where they're coming from on a lot of things. There's also a lot of stuff that happen behind the scenes that students aren't aware of, so a lot of the criticism of their decision-making is kind of one-sided and unreasonable. We view them as these dinosaurs when in reality they aren't (even if they pretend to be for whatever reason).

Not saying this is your case, I have literally no idea what your story is. But from what I've seen, a lot of med students like to complain about things rather than think them through from all angles.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying all admins at all schools are bad, and I definitely hear what you're saying. My thing is, there are plenty of schools that get it right as far as certain common issues go, but the admin at my school remain obstinate in their thoughts (or lack thereof) and practices. They consistently refuse to listen, and it's totally ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I figure that the best way to avoid the idiocy of most of those admins is to do cash based practice. Alas, I have no real interest in any fields where that's possible.
So you’d think that. On the forums cash based practices seem like this untapped oasis of old school medicine happiness. In reality unless you are practicing in some frontier in Alaska, you’re going to have competition. Competition that wants you to fail, hard. Guess who owns that competition, yup, the same people you wanted to escape working for. Only now you aren’t working for them, you’re working against them and they have more money and resources than you.

So you’d think that. On the forums cash based practices seem like this untapped oasis of old school medicine happiness. In reality unless you are practicing in some frontier in Alaska, you’re going to have competition. Competition that wants you to fail, hard. Guess who owns that competition, yup, the same people you wanted to escape working for. Only now you aren’t working for them, you’re working against them and they have more money and resources than you.

God. There's nowhere to run.

5-9 are really true and good things to realize early

As an M4 I would add a few

16. If someone tells you to go home early the only correct answer is "Thank you, see you tomorrow"
17. Sometimes the only lesson an attending/resident can teach you is how not to do something. That's still a valuable lesson.
18. Have a hobby.
19. If you've made it this far, you are almost guaranteed to graduate.
20. The anesthesia resident is much happier than the surgical resident

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Live like a resident (with a little upgrade) and aggressively invest for the 1st 10 yrs after finishing residency so you can get out of the rat race...

1.5 mil, no student debt and a paid off mortgage are enough to say to people 'go f***ck yourself' when they annoy you.