Mar 18, 2010
Status
My parents were born in another country. I was born in US and I am the first generation in my family to be going to school in US. My school gives scholarships on this and i just want to know how dental schools view it.

Destiny11

7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
My parents were born in another country. I was born in US and I am the first generation in my family to be going to school in US. My school gives scholarships on this and i just want to know how dental schools view it.
What I meant was you are a first generation "fill in the blank"? In this country, when it comes to scholarships, it usually is for underrepresented minorities in higher education (African-Americans, Hispanics, American Indians etc.), unless it is specified by the scholarship you are looking to apply to. Asians in general are minorities in the US, but not so in higher education, therefore you won't see as many scholarships that apply to them.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
It may make for a topic of interview provided you have the goods to get to that stage.

lphiewok

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
Fort Polk, LA
Status
Dentist
the answer is no.
Underrepresented Minority used for dental school admissions are for African-American, Indian-American, and Hispanics.

You are not even born outside of US, so there is pretty much zero advantage that you would get and I am surprised your school actually offers you scholarship for just being the 'first generation' (which in my opinion isn't even the first generation)

yappy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Despite how D school looks at it - you are a minority. In my personel exp. most student have professinoal parents who have attended college. Then there is us... whose parents have never been to college and dont support/understand college.
@ Iph - you should take a soc. class in education and clear up your ignorance about the impact of break social boundries created by your family history.

lphiewok

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
Fort Polk, LA
Status
Dentist
Despite how D school looks at it - you are a minority. In my personel exp. most student have professinoal parents who have attended college. Then there is us... whose parents have never been to college and dont support/understand college.
@ Iph - you should take a soc. class in education and clear up your ignorance about the impact of break social boundries created by your family history.
obviously OP was wondering whether DS views him/her as a minority, which would give bit of advantage in regard to dental school admission. and the answer again is No. It goes same with Asian people not being counted as minority as far as dental school admission goes.

Yes, I am fortunate enough that i grew up with parents who do have bachelors degrees. But OP here isn't even talking about that. OP was asking whether he/she would qualify as a minority for dental school just because her parents were born outside of U.S.
If OP was born outside of U.S., it would make little bit more sense. But just having parents born outside of U.S. to qualify as minority? I don't think so.

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
7+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
The Grand Ballroom
Status
Podiatry Student
obviously OP was wondering whether DS views him/her as a minority, which would give bit of advantage in regard to dental school admission. and the answer again is No. It goes same with Asian people not being counted as minority as far as dental school admission goes.

Yes, I am fortunate enough that i grew up with parents who do have bachelors degrees. But OP here isn't even talking about that. OP was asking whether he/she would qualify as a minority for dental school just because her parents were born outside of U.S.
If OP was born outside of U.S., it would make little bit more sense. But just having parents born outside of U.S. to qualify as minority? I don't think so.
I'm a first generational college student (ie my parents don't have degrees), and I've always assumed that that would not help me at all in terms of D-school admissions. I guess my assumptions are true!