Countdown until Dec 1st, 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colorpop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
******* We have 21 days until Dec 1st ************

Just want to start a countdown thread for this year, something for us to discuss and kill time :)

Everyone, feel free to comment school(s) that you're waiting for the decision.

I'm waiting for LECOM and Detroit Mercy. D-day for LECOM is Dec 1st I believe and UDM is Dec 6th.

Good luck you guys!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I still have interviews but I'm so over the moon to be at this point in the application cycle.... I was so worried about applying late LOL ! I hate to say it but trusting the process totally works. I'm waiting on texas schools and UOP ! How do we find the dates acceptances will start rolling out for each school?
Good luck to everyone! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Both exciting and nausea-inducing LOL we got this yall

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I still have interviews but I'm so over the moon to be at this point in the application cycle.... I was so worried about applying late LOL ! I hate to say it but trusting the process totally works. I'm waiting on texas schools and UOP ! How do we find the dates acceptances will start rolling out for each school?
Good luck to everyone! :D
shocking!

the first day of acceptances is dec 1
and in anticipation of the next question, it depends on the school what time zone and what time and what method of notification
some call, most email
emails can go out at 12:01 am in the time zone of the school, sometimes when the office opens

best thing to do, of course, is to trust the process...

Reactions: 2 users
i’m only waiting for one school. (midwestern illinois)i’m feeling very anxious everyday!! especially since i was waitlisted at 2 schools last cycle and didn’t get in. i have waitlist ptsd😭

i’m only waiting for one school. (midwestern illinois)i’m feeling very anxious everyday!! especially since i was waitlisted at 2 schools last cycle and didn’t get in. i have waitlist ptsd😭
Me too!!! I was waitlisted at 2 schools last year. It was the longest wait ever in my life since I didn't know how long I should wait. But our time will come, we can do it!!!

It's 20 days 13 hours until Dec 1st guyss :)

• Love
And you’ll all trust my sage wisdom and go to the cheapest school you get into, right?

8E4D3396-E964-48A6-9ADA-758C66BFFD26.gif

Big Hoss

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
And you’ll all trust my sage wisdom and go to the cheapest school you get into, right?

View attachment 345608

Big Hoss
This is the best advice. Not a D1 yet, but you guys should go to the FAFSA website and look at monthly payments on different loan options. For schools like NYU and midwestern, payments can get up to 4 grand a month.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the best advice. Not a D1 yet, but you guys should go to the FAFSA website and look at monthly payments on different loan options. For schools like NYU and midwestern, payments can get up to 4 grand a month.
there’s IBR and PSLF options people can do.

there’s IBR and PSLF options people can do.
And if you go to a school like NYU or Midwestern relying completely on student loans, under these income-based programs your monthly payment likely won’t even cover your accrued interest. So...your loans will snowball and somehow you’ll find yourself watching your student loan balance grow even after finishing school. What’s that feel like? Ask Mike Meru...

Big Hoss

Last edited:
And if you go to a school like NYU or Midwestern relying completely on student loans, under these income-based programs your monthly payment likely won’t even cover your accrued interest. So...your loans will snowball and somehow you’ll find yourself watching your student loan balance grow even after finishing school. What’s that feel like? Ask Mike Meru...

Big Hoss
you can save money to open a private practice while doing IBR and invest your money and then pay off your loans after you have a good amount saved.

you can save money to open a private practice while doing IBR and invest your money and then pay off your loans after you have a good amount saved.
How much do you think you can save every year as an associate GP? How much do you think it costs to start/buy a practice? What do you think a bank will say when you go to get a practice loan and you have $600,000+ in student loans? How long does it take for a practice to become profitable?

Long story short, there is no way I would ever become a dentist if it would saddle me with half a million dollars in student loans.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 4 users
How much do you think you can save every year as an associate GP? How much do you think it costs to start/buy a practice? What do you think a bank will say when you go to get a practice loan and you have $600,000+ in student loans? How long does it take for a practice to become profitable?

Long story short, there is no way I would ever become a dentist if it would saddle me with half a million dollars in student loans.

Big Hoss
Completely agree.

You will basically be spending 4 years to acquire a 500k debt that will take another 500-1mil practice loan to clear and take basically your 20s-40s just to get out of debt...

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely agree.

You will basically be spending 4 years to acquire a 500k debt that will take another 500-1mil practice loan to clear and take basically your 20s-40s just to get out of debt...
doesnt your debt get forgiven after 20 years

The tax bomb at the end of IBR and PAYE is gonna be like 200k. Plus you have a cap on your annual income otherwise if any of the 20 or 25 years you go above that income cap, you are disqualified and have to go to a conventional loan. Then boom youre stuck with your original problems plus the interest accrued. so if on the 23rd year of your 25 year plan you dont qualify for IBR or PAYE anymore, your amount that should be forgiven you now owe in total. If you graduated with 400k debt, you now owe probs 600k and are also 50 years old. Like I said I am not even D1 yet, but I am trying to plan what my financial future is gonna be at the end of my 20s, and into my 30s/40s. Can't pretend that just cause im a doctor im gonna be wealthy when in reality it could be the exact opposite.

Been hoping to get out of my hometown, so I am waiting to hear from UofC, Michigan and University of Nebraska.. guess I am trying to move somewhere colder..lol

Only 15 more days! :) We are so close.

Will Ferrell Christmas GIF

may have already been answered but you can get waitlisted on dec. 1st right? i'm in the middle of a master's program and i've gotten interviews but one of my classes is not going so hot, so i'm really stressed on the academic update period.

Anyone hear anything about decision day being pushed back to December 8th or 15th?
As of now, I haven't heard anything yet, but I'll be very disappointed if they push it back since we're so close to that day.
may have already been answered but you can get waitlisted on dec. 1st right? i'm in the middle of a master's program and i've gotten interviews but one of my classes is not going so hot, so i'm really stressed on the academic update period.
Yes, it's possible that you can get waitlisted on dec 1st. That's what I see in the past.

can't believe we're down to two weeks!! so close and still so far ...

I know it was extended in 2020 because of COVID, but I think it is back to Dec 1st for this year
It's all rumors but on a Facebook page I read that ADEA sent out a survey to dental schools asking if they wanted to move it back to one of those days, given that a lot of schools are behind in the process. Again this isn't me saying this, it's just what I read.

It's all rumors but on a Facebook page I read that ADEA sent out a survey to dental schools asking if they wanted to move it back to one of those days, given that a lot of schools are behind in the process. Again this isn't me saying this, it's just what I read.
Interesting! Im curious to see if this will change for the current cycle

i think adea would of told us by now?
i asked a school couple days ago, they said all decisions will be sent dec 1st for every school

what happens if the school calls you and you are out of the country or don't pick up? Im leaving the states on dec 3 for three weeks. Wouldn't the schools that accept you also send out emails? Im kinda nervous about this...

does anyone else get super depressed after their interviews. rethinking about what you said and wish you had said something different or feel like maybe you said the wrong thing. i’ve had two interviews so far and i’m so excited before but i get super depressed after, just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way. i’m so nervous for december 1st.

does anyone else get super depressed after their interviews. rethinking about what you said and wish you had said something different or feel like maybe you said the wrong thing. i’ve had two interviews so far and i’m so excited before but i get super depressed after, just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way. i’m so nervous for december 1st.
I've had 3 interviews so far, and after each of them I was very down. I thought they went horrible, to be honest. But people are telling me to chill lol you never know. But I have exact same feelings as you

I've had 3 interviews so far, and after each of them I was very down. I thought they went horrible, to be honest. But people are telling me to chill lol you never know. But I have exact same feelings as you
glad to know I wasn't the only one! :) hopefully we get good news soon!

YES. I think its the come down from all the adrenaline tbh. Ive also had two and I definitely felt like that, but I think its a normal feeling..just have to be optimistic!

• Care
what happens if the school calls you and you are out of the country or don't pick up? Im leaving the states on dec 3 for three weeks. Wouldn't the schools that accept you also send out emails? Im kinda nervous about this...
Set up your voicemail or make sure your voicemail isn’t full. It depends on schools but they may send you an email also. Detroit Mercy states that you have to get back to them in 24hrs or they’ll assume you’re not interested and remove you. You also can email them beforehand if you know you’ll be out of country and tell them how to contact you (e.g email,etc)

Set up your voicemail or make sure your voicemail isn’t full. It depends on schools but they may send you an email also. Detroit Mercy states that you have to get back to them in 24hrs or they’ll assume you’re not interested and remove you. You also can email them beforehand if you know you’ll be out of country and tell them how to contact you (e.g email,etc)
Thank you for your reply! I will do this as soon as possible

Does the AADSAS application status change from "invited to interview" to something else if a decision has been made for Dec. 1?

Does the AADSAS application status change from "invited to interview" to something else if a decision has been made for Dec. 1?
I think it’ll change to Offer Made on Dec 1 but not before

I can’t believe how slow and fast all this time went. Truly such a weird time. Good luck everybody!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Do schools still do check back December 1st on the portal? Read up about it but none of my schools have updated it

Do schools still do check back December 1st on the portal? Read up about it but none of my schools have updated it
dontworryaboutit
most schools do not update regularly
don't try to read anything into what is said on the portal except for- offer made...