1st Year and Drowning Already!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh my gosh, you guys. In contrast I can't believe how much I have learned about pharmacy. The coolest thing of all is how every class covers almost the exact same topic at the same time, just from a different perspective. The only class that seems like review is Biochem, but there is still much more in-depth learning involved.

And, wow, what is all this care plan and orientation crap you are all doing? It is fascinating to see how each school differs.

yeah what the hell is care plan, haha.

Granted, I DO see the light at the end of the tunnel. Compared to other schools, we do less "review" material...they just happened to cram it all in during 1st semester + a few lagging classes next semester.

It just sucks when you have all this momentum when you first arrive.

Anyway, to every other P-1 out there, am I the only one that got thrown into the clinic their 2nd week to do pt histories & write scripts off a pt's chart?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah what the hell is care plan, haha.

It's a patient care project that you have find and interview the patient, take history and develop a plan to help them etc. . It's not a care plan. It just remind me of the nursing care plan in nursing school.

It's a patient care project that you have find and interview the patient, take history and develop a plan to help them etc. . It's not a care plan. It just remind me of the nursing care plan in nursing school.

For a moment I thought...damn, what poor homeless patient did they have to dig up so that these P-1's and MS-1's could practice on them.

Makes sense...sounds like doing an exam, presenting a pt to your attending & coming up with treatment except....more drawn out.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had my first one yesterday..and my mock patient was a crack head

So does anyone else have to do improv?

Improv? We seem to do a lot of "role-playing" at my school. Like having to pretend we are receiving a prescription, interviewing a patient, etc. I'm sure they don't call it role-playing, but that's how I always think of it. I guess it's a necessary part of our education, but I sort of hate it. I'm not a good actor.

Improv? We seem to do a lot of "role-playing" at my school. Like having to pretend we are receiving a prescription, interviewing a patient, etc. I'm sure they don't call it role-playing, but that's how I always think of it. I guess it's a necessary part of our education, but I sort of hate it. I'm not a good actor.

Oh heavens, I'm so glad I don't go to your school. It sounds so hokey. Although we do have to do that stupid patient interview thingy in December.

So does anyone else have to do improv?

When I was there, yes. But it was mostly due to not being prepared very dang well.

And, actually, I once stood up during a marketing presentation and pretended to be a hick from McDowell County that loved how well the pharmacists took care of me and solved all of my problems for 5 minutes straight because we didn't have enough material to go the required 15 minutes. I told the audience how they cured my asthma and allowed me to resurrect my career as a Madonna tribute singer. I mean, just random crazy **** off of the top of my head. I had my classmates in stitches though. The professor thought we had it all planned out, too. Gave us a 98%. Best in the class. Pissed a lot of people off that worked for weeks on theirs. That ****'s true, too. Ask anyone that went to WVU.

And, wow, what is all this care plan and orientation crap you are all doing? It is fascinating to see how each school differs.

We also do the care plan...it confuses me more than it helps.

During PY1 we never had quizzes, but now this year (PY2) we have lots of quizzes. "Luckily", we have block exams once a month so we aren't as stressed, until about 2 weeks before blocks :(