2.46 sGPA, 2.92 cGPA, 250 attempted units

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With English being my 3rd language,
I took the old MCAT once and got an 18
Took the new MCAT 4 times: 487, 492, 499, 500.
That's a total of 5 times. I still didn't call it quit. In fact I had about 16 interview invites including my in-state MD school and plenty of DO schools, I attended 5, and I got 2 DO acceptances, 1 DO WL, 2 rejections (one DO and one MD). That was the 2 years ago, and now I'm an incoming OMS2.

Congrats man!! That’s amazing!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
In addition tot he above, I’ve talked to MANY adcoms in PERSON, that said they value persistence, determination, residency and a never give up attitude when it comes to admissions.

They said that many people are used to doing so well in school and get slapped in medical school since it’s so difficult for everyone. However, the people that have the determination and resiliency, are able to MENTALLY pull through because they’re used to being humbled

OP,

Firstly, congratulations on being the first in your family to attend college. That's not an easy thing to do and you should be proud of yourself. If you end up going down this long and arduous road of grade redemption, you need to celebrate the small wins, as you will feel and be told you're failing many times by yourself and others. This isn't exclusive to pursuing a healthcare profession, but in life too. I say this because all indicators point to you feeling lost right now. Feeling stuck which can exacerbate any mental health disorder. Before you get upset at me for saying this, please hear me out, as I was in "similar" shoes to you 4 years ago when I came to these forums and reached out to the truly wise Goro seeking grade redemption. I had ~120 less credits than you, my parents and siblings had attended college before me, my sGPA was higher, I had a slight upward trend already, I wasn't a URM like Dr. Strange's post above (big congratulations on getting accepted), and I had only 1 year of experience in the "real world" that I wouldn't trade for anything looking back.

I did make it into medical school in the end, which I know is what you're looking to hear since you're only liking the posts you deem as "support" and because I've been there too. I write quotations around support because looking back on what it took to get here, EVERYTHING everyone is saying is support and things I wish I truly digested and factored. For more than just a summer as you're planning. I know you're looking for validation through n=1 success stories, but there're so many factors contributing to admissions apart from just statistics that you can't compare yourself with anyone else as your validation.

Read again what you wrote below, your post from 5 years ago basically asking the same thing as not much has changed other than time and a deeper hole in the GPA department, and your same post in virtually every pre-health professions different forums. Notice a pattern? You didn't think about college until AFTER starting. You didn't know what you wanted to do while in college. How did it end up? You received poor grades. I'm not saying this to be mean, I TRULY empathize with you, but you're looking to start a VERY VERY HARD grade-redemption path when you don't even know what pre-health profession you're aiming for. Depression is a chronic condition that will ebb and flow throughout your lifetime. I had the most carefully crafted plan to medical school, and nothing went as perfectly planned on paper. We need to learn from our mistakes or history will repeat itself. I don't want you to have another depressive episode by rushing into a post-bacc and potentially digging an even deeper hole from your dreams.

"First in the family college student. Did not think about college till well into the first semester of community college. Had no idea what I was doing or what I wanted to do. Received 2-3 F by not dropping classes appropriately or just not attending classes due to depression."

I TRULY am rooting for you in LIFE, as is everyone else. There's no support vs. opposition to your ultimate decision. We are all offering support in different ways to you based on our unique experiences and knowledge about the journey. So before you jump into more classes and debt, I urge you to take time off until you figure out which profession you're seeking and why you're seeking it. Not only is this beneficial for your future personal statement, but also for the inner motivation you're going to 1000% need against every do or die class you take in the future. When you potentially have to decide to end a relationship, move away from family and friends, take on ~$100k worth of more debt aside from what you'll take on in professional school, re-think your entire plan of attack when AACOMAS changes the rules on you, see people on social media having kids and buying houses while you're in lab again with 18-22 year olds, volunteer, shadow, do research, and study for ~2-3 months HARD to KILL IT on your entrance exam. Take notice that many of the n=1 success stories previously posted who worked their tails off and more had 30-40 applications sent with ~1 acceptance.

I wish you all the best on your journey, and will offer whatever support I can if you ever want to private message me. I just want to give you some context as to why everyone is saying what they're saying. Most of all, PLEASE take the time to ensure you're and will stay in good emotional and mental health. Develop coping strategies. Develop a support network. Get yourself grounded. Take a breath. Figure out what you want and why. Figure out what you were doing wrong while previously studying. Set a time-frame for you to fall back on option "B", which could very well end up being option "A". Your future self will thank you for it.

Reactions: 2 users