2 DIY Post-Bacc Options - Ideal One?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExistenceIsTorment

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm graduating this December with a STEM degree, and I'm looking to go into a DIY post-bacc to career change into a pre-med path. I have not taken any of the prereq classes while in school except Math, so I'd need to start on everything from scratch. I'm graduating with a low 2.5 GPA among ~80-90 units.

My plan is to finish the prereqs + some upper div bio classes to bring up GPA/show I can handle the workload. Classes I would potentially be taking are the prereqs + Immunology, Virology, Genetics & MCB, General Microbio, Genetics, and Anatomy.

I drew up 2 rough plans for a DIY post bacc. I would not be able to take more than 10-13 units per semester due to financial reasons ($366/unit for non-degree seeking at local state school; can't afford a heavier load per sem). I would appreciate any guidance/criticism on if I'm on the right track. I'd be volunteering/doing EC's during both options/

(I say "potential GPA" as in best-case scenarios; not assuming I'm going to end up with these stats, although I'll try to as if my life depended on it).

Option 1:

This would be the typical "get it done ASAP" plan. I'm not currently leaning towards option 1.

Go right into post-bacc this coming Spring. Take classes Sp. 2019, Summer 2019, Fall 2019, Sp. 2020, Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021. Take MCATs Summer 2020. Apply to schools Fall 2021. My post-bacc would consist of ~67 4-year units, all in bio/chem/physics classes.

Potential uGPA: 3.22 (with 6 units of CC I took for gen. ed. stuff).
Potential sGPA: 3.39

Option 2:

This would be taking as many classes as I can and delay applying to med school.

Take this coming Spring "off". Take a couple of CC classes in English/other humanities (~10 units). Get EMT training/certified. Start working as part-time EMT for the next 2-3 years. Potentially delay applying to Spring 2022.

This would give me 10 units of CC + ~77-80 4-year units of post-bacc.

Potential uGPA: 3.31 (with 16 units of CC).
Potential sGPA: 3.44

I created these DIY paths from online research, so they could be completely wrong. I'm currently leaning towards option 2. It would give me some pretty valuable hands-on experience as an EMT, and my GPA would be slightly higher. It would take about 3.5 years, while option 1 takes 2.5 years.

One thing I'm worried about is the # of units/length of the post-bacc for option 2. If an adcom reviewed my app, would they potentially think "why did this guy take so many more classes/take so long?" Other than that, however long a post-bacc takes doesn't bother me at all as long as I'm maximizing my chances.

Which of these 2 do you think is a better choice? Neither? Something in between? Any feedback/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Plan 2 without the CC courses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user