2 questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic171

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
#1 how bad does a bad grade hurt assuming all other grades are good. I.E. I am a non trad returning to college, I got a 2.0 in bio back in 1996, but when I returned I got a 4.o in bio. Also, because of my wedding, it looks like my grade in this summer chem 2 will be bad, like a 3.0. How bad does this hurt me?

#2 Is a science gpa of 3.29 competitive considering working full time and going to school full time?

BTW I am planning to go D.O.

Members don't see this ad.

If I was on the admissions committee, I'd look at your situation in a positive light. I mean, you overcame alot of major life-changing events (marriage), while holding down a FT job and going to school. A 3.3 science GPA is right on the money for DO schools. How's your MCAT? I'd say with a "more-than-average" MCAT, you SHOULD have few problems getting in somewhere, but then again, I'm no expert. Best of luck!

I am not taking the mcat until April, but I expect it to be average, although I am shooting for higher :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation.

I went to college straight out of highschool and managed to pull a D in Chem1, C in Calculus I and a D Calculus II (with no other science classes taken in that time frame) I dropped out of school and worked as an EMT/paramedic for several years. I went back to undergrad and got a degress in biology and got almost a 4.0 (with one B and one C in science classes) I did well on the MCAT and then applied to medical school. I had not problem getting in.

I think they do look if you have made a change in you life (grades) especially if there is a break in between classes.

What are the average gpa and mcat ect. for D.O. schools?

www.aacom.org

Download their publication on colleges and you'll see the averages.

It gives some averages for individual schools, but I wanted the overall for D.O. school.

Why don't you speak to the premedical advisor where you are? Averages are not much of a guide, especially for an older student. If you need a name and phone# or email address for the advisor tell me where you are taking the courses and I will see if I can find it for you.

Or have you already spoken with an advisor and want 2nd, 3d.......opinions?

I wanted to know the average for matriculants so that I can see where I stand. In my experience, advisors are not much help accept to give standard responses to standard questions.

Your grades are more than enough to be competitive. I have friends at school who failed one or two classes, took them over again, did well, and are now in med school. There are people who did bad on their MCAT's in my school and those who did extremely well. I think you should apply to as many schools as you can and do the little things that can make you more competitive. Turn in your applications as early as possible, get the best recommendation letters that you can get, write a strong personal statement, do the standard research, extracurriculars. Plus, do the best you can on the MCAT. Grades are usually already established by the time you apply and so you just have to go with what you have. I know a lot of people who applied with great academic grades to DO programs and each school seems to have their own "idea" of what kind of student they want. Hopefully you meet their expectations.

Medic,

Go back to the website I told you and download the ASR....That will give you your average and more stats that you could possibly imagine.... The downside is they only have up to 1999....

1995: 3.33GPA
1996: 3.37GPA
1997: 3.41GPA
1998: 3.39GPA
1999: 3.43GPA

There's more stats there really.... Just go download them....