1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2 years undergrad and then UCSF or UCSD

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Swimmer2008, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Swimmer2008

Non-Student
    Hi guys, I was wondering what kind of criteria should I meet if I wanted to get into UCSD and UCSD after only two years of undergrad? I know they don't usually take people only after two years, but what are the special exceptions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jaded03

Jaded03 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pharmacy Student
    I wouldn't bank on exceptions. Only 1 person made it (past tense) through to UCSF with just 2 years and that was with an AA degree. UCSD has a 7 year program, which you apply for, but I do not know if it is open yet. I don't see how anyone can get accepted with 2 years unless you have years of experience in pharmacy or research (eg. You are a non-traditional applicant). I suggest UOP if you want to get a PharmD quickly.

4. stkyrice

stkyrice mmm....bacon.
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    High GPA, Stellar LORs and lots of leadership experience.

In other words, there are no exceptions. :p

5. Swimmer2008

Non-Student
    Alright then, well what schools in California do you think is most likely to accept a 2 year student?

I know this has been discussed many times, and I appreciate your answers!

6. It's hard to say who is the most likely to accept 2 year students. Usually, public universities tend to prefer their own state residents, but in the case of CA, we don't have a university like that since there are so many people applying there, in state and OOS.

If you want to have a shot at those two after 2 years, you'd need a great GPA (I'm pulling a random GPA out of nowhere, but I'd go with at least a 3.8), great LORs, and a lot of experience.

USC has a TAP program for its students. You can apply to that by either 1. Going straight into USC after high school or 2. transferring in, usually from a CC.

7. TrjTraddie

TrjTraddie Accepted!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i would say you would have to be one dang impressive applicant without a Bachelors to get an interview.

8. cinnamoroll12

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I went to an Open House at UCSD last year and I believe it was the dean who said that it is so rare for them to accept anyone without a bachelor's degree (must be very exceptional). If they did in the past, then they only accepted 1 student. I think you have slightly better shots at other private schools in Cali, although most Cali applicants earn at least a bachelor's before matriculation.

9. etspinner

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Number of individuals holding or planning to receive a B.A., B.S., or Masters Degree at the time of interview or prior to matriculation
    225 (100%)

That's from UCSD - INTERVIEW stats. In the most recent years they haven't accepted or invited anyone to interview that was not planning on receiving at least bachelor's by matriculation.

UCSF said some 0.82% had an associate's. I wouldn't bank on those odds. Out of the entering 122 students, that's ONE student.