2004/5 Interview List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a service to next year's class, let's share our lists of programs we interviewed with. If future applicants want info, feel free to PM me. I know I would have liked one thread to look in for this.

Here's mine (in NO order):

Scott & White - Temple, TX
UAMS - Little Rock, AR
Mayo - Rochester, MN
UNM - Albuquerque, NM
UTSW - Dallas, TX
UTH - Houston, TX
Palmetto - Columbia, SC
Christiana - Newark, DE
Tx Tech - El Paso, TX
MCG - Augusta, GA

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

UIC, Cook County, Resurrection, henry ford, detroit receiving, st. john's, and MCOW

i'm also open to answer any q's.

OHSU
Stanford
UC-Irvine
UNC
UVA
Christiana
UMD
Beth Israel (Boston)
Maine
Pitt

Feel free to PM for more info...

Members don't see this ad :)
St Lukes Roosevlet-NY
NY Methodist
NY Presbyterian
Beth Isael NY
Christ
U of Chicago
Northwestern
Resurrection
U of Illinois-Chicago
OHSU
Stanford
Brigham and Womens/Mass General

PM me with any questions as well.

Here's a list of programs I interviewed and/or rotated at.

CA -- Highland, USC/LAC, UC San Diego, Loma Linda
IL -- Cook County
MI -- Henry Ford, Detroit Receiving, Sinai-Grace, St. John's, Kalamazoo
OH -- Ohio State, Cincinnati, St. Vincent's
CT -- Yale
PA -- Drexel/Hahnemann
MD -- Johns Hopkins
DC -- George Washington

I am also more than happy to answer questions so just PM me....

UT Southwestern
Houston
Temple
Hennepin
Wake Forest
Carolinas
Vanderbilt

J'kins

Northshore
LIJ
Stonybrook
Ny Hosp Queens
Downstate
NY Meth
Bellvue
Metropolitan
Lincoln
Jacobi
Upsate/Syracuse
Morristown
Maryland
Drexel

rotated at Syracuse, Bellvue, and Northshore

I would like to add my experiences even though I interviewed in 03-04

away rotations:
UT Southwestern (Dallas)
U of Louisville
UC Davis (Sacramento)
UC-Irvine (Orange County)

interviews:
(while rotating - Louisville, UC Davis)
MLK-Drew, UCLA-Harbor, UT Houston, UTSW, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel-MCP, Christiana, Advocate Christ, Resurrection, Indianapolis, UIC

see http://geocities.com/andy_kahn_em/MS4.html for more details on the aforementioned away rotations and interviews

PM me if you have any questions.
-Andy

Hey this thread is an awesome idea and very helpful. I think it would be even more helpful if people posted their step I and step II scores. Thanks again

here's my list:

Rochester, NY
Albany
UCONN
Maine
UMASS
BIDMC
MGH/BWH
Yale
Brown
Upenn
Pitt
Maryland
Hopkins
UNC
Wake Forest

Here's mine, in order of interview (I interviewed at WAY too many):

Denver
Vanderbilt
Bellevue
Hennepin
Christiana
Michigan
Maine
MGH/BW
BIDMC
Harbor-UCLA
UC Davis
Highland
Indiana
Pittsburgh
OHSU
Cincinnati
U of Chicago
UCSD
Stanford

If I had to do it over again, I would cut Christiana, Indiana, Maine, Michigan, Bellevue, Harbor-UCLA, Hennepin, and possibly Cincinnati purely based on location. Those cities were either too small, too big, or too isolated for me.

Current resident: Mayo School of Graduate Medicine Education, Emergency Medicine Residency Training Program (it is a mouthful if you say the complete formal name :p )

My list (from '03 - '04 match):
Mayo (obviously)
Indiana (rotated)
UIC
Kalamazoo
Grand Rapids
Akron General
Wright State
Resurrection (rotated)
Hennepin
CWRU

Feel free to PM me!

- H

po' boy said:
If I had to do it over again, I would cut Christiana, Indiana, Maine, Michigan, Bellevue, Harbor-UCLA, Hennepin, and possibly Cincinnati purely based on location. Those cities were either too small, too big, or too isolated for me.

I don't know, I think you should have added one more to make it a cool 20. Seriously, though, impressive stamina to make it through all of those!

Here's my much shorter list (due to my own inherent laziness) in the order I interviewed:

UAB (Home program)
UVa
Emory
Orlando
Carolinas
UNC-Chapel Hill
Wake Forest
Vandy
2 transitionals and a prelim med that no one on here probably cares about

Rotations at: UAB and Vandy

Feel free to PM me about any of these interviews or rotations.

Andy: Awesome website! I remember looking at it last year, too. Really liked the travel map.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's mine in order...feel free to PM me. This was too many but I needed to get a better idea of what I like in a program.

Jefferson
Bellevue
North Shore
Wake Forest
Maryland
Hopkins
VCU
Emory
GWU
Duke
UNC
Chicago
University of Illinois Chicago
Boston Medical

UT-SW
ORMC (Orlando)
Yale
Brown
Vandy
UK (Kentucky)
Carolinas
UVA
Palmetto/USC
USF
Duke

Send me any Q's

North Shore
NYHQ-Cornell
Bellevue
U Penn
Brigham
Boston Med Ctr
Yale
Hopkins
U Chicago
Northwestern
Cook County
Wake Forest
UCLA-Olive View
Stanford

USF
Geisinger
St. luke's PA
York
Baystate
Albany
Syracuse
Kalamazoo
Grand Rapids
Saginaw

Feel free to PM me!

here's mine as well in order of interview (DO applicant):

Resurrection
CWRU Metrohealth
Akron General
MCG
USC-Palmetto
USF
UF-JAX
UT-Houston
UKMC (Kansas City0
Univ Maryland

Cut it off at 10 and still though that was too many. We will soon see!! PM for any feedback!

utlonghorn50 said:
Hey this thread is an awesome idea and very helpful. I think it would be even more helpful if people posted their step I and step II scores. Thanks again

Let it go. Just let it go. Everyone on this board passed their USMLE and will match with equal probability. Even those with top 99% scores will have the same difficulty and odds of scramble as those with 5% scores. Myopic viewpoints like a three digit number will determine your fate are exactly why I chose this field in which I practice, so narrow-minded, self conscious, academic freaks who have nothing but some digits to bring to the table instead of broad-based, real-world, well-rounded people skills won't be left in the mix. A better question for EM would be for people to list their extracurricular involvement, past EM experience, and activities outside of medicine as a whole. That brings much more depth to a pasing score on the USMLE than the jack-hole who was AOA, top of the charts USMLE, and can't talk his way out of a paper bag. But then again - I guess you knew that didn't ya? The real question you should be asking people instead of their scores is if their score actually changed their mind in applying to the field they are most comfortable in. I doubt it stopped anyone from going where they knew they belonged. Do you expect to gain any extra knowledge from knowing people's USMLE scores? Will it really influence your decision to apply this field if your score is lower? If it will then please don't apply because an EM physician without confidence in themself who only places stock in the three digit score that is under their name on an application is someone who is useless in a field where confidence makes critical decisions. I passed. Every program director you interviewed with passed. Every resident walking the halls on your tours passed. Give it up - it doesn't matter.

Rant over.

Here's my list (in order of interview):

East Carolina (rotated)
EVMS (rotated)
Wake Forest
MCV/VCU
Allegheny General
Hennepin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wright State

'zilla

utlonghorn50 said:

I agree with above post by NinerNiner999. From previous posts (most of it) by utlonghorn50, I can sense he is quite obsessed with knowing other people's board scores. EM definitely looks more on the applicant as a whole as mentioned by many EM posts.

For utlonghorn50, work your butt off and do well on USMLE so you can put this board score issue to rest. :D

vandy
wash u
cook co
suny-downstate
indiana
jacobi
temple
penn
gw
emory
maryland
hopkins