2006 Cornell Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And it does look like someone was accepted yesterday. Well, let's just hope there's still some spots left. And that schools like Harvard and Hopkins start taking students off the waitlist so there is some trickle down affect. Guess we just have to wait and see...

Members don't see this ad.

Lab Rat said:

I have heard nothing too. I am not on the waitlist, but cheering for all of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe two weeks from the last acceptance?

Anybody know if Cornell is going to take anybody else off the waitlist???

MRios said:
Anybody know if Cornell is going to take anybody else off the waitlist???
. I have heard every two wks they do a count.

someone posted on the class thread that they were taken off the waitlist on may 23rd. so two weeks would be this coming tuesday? i know, i'm crazy :oops:

akaz said:
. I have heard every two wks they do a count.

toolstarjm said:
someone posted on the class thread that they were taken off the waitlist on may 23rd. so two weeks would be this coming tuesday? i know, i'm crazy :oops:

well tuesday came and went. anyone hear anything?

Not me. I've tried to be hopeful, but I feel like throwing in the towel. Anyone else feel the same way?

Well, Harvard does their waitlist the last week of june.

I am sure Cornell will lose some then.

localgirl said:
Not me. I've tried to be hopeful, but I feel like throwing in the towel. Anyone else feel the same way?

My towel is already in the drier

Thanks for keeping the hope alive akaz. Kasha - I still don't get it. Have you written LOI's, called the waitlisted school - esp. Columbia which seems to encourage it?

i am almost ready to give up as well. i hate all of this waiting. i gave cornell a deadline of june 15th because the other school where i would go starts july 10th and i need to have some financial commitments made with them in a couple of weeks.

hopefully something happens soon, if not there will be one less person on the wait-list :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone called and asked what is going on?

toolstarjm said:
i am almost ready to give up as well. i hate all of this waiting.

If there much point in actually called the admissions office at Cornell.

My reasoning is the following: If they had a ranked waitlist you could find out where you stand on the list, since they don't what exactly could you ask of them?

I feel like they must rank their waitlist, but just keep it a secret from waitlisters like us. How else would they choose from such a large pool once a spot opens?

localgirl said:
I feel like they must rank their waitlist, but just keep it a secret from waitlisters like us. How else would they choose from such a large pool once a spot opens?

Seems like a weird thing to lie about.

localgirl said:
Thanks for keeping the hope alive akaz. Kasha - I still don't get it. Have you written LOI's, called the waitlisted school - esp. Columbia which seems to encourage it?

Oddly enough, I sent in maybe half a dozen of letters to 3 of the schools am waitlisted at. However to Sinai, which just admitted me, I sent nothing.

Bottom line, the letter writing thing is a shot in the dark

This is basically a bump.

I was just wondering if anyone's heard anything about waitlist movement. I called a week or so ago and they didn't give me much info. They just said there would be a second group pulled off the waitlist at some point. I'm losing more and more hope each day. :( Any news?

To whom are you guys addressing your updates/LOIs?

I just sent mine to my interviewers hoping they would pass it along to my file...

Send it to admissions. They probably aren't and say you have been sending them to interviewers.
Mutt said:
To whom are you guys addressing your updates/LOIs?

I just sent mine to my interviewers hoping they would pass it along to my file...

J'kwan said:
I called a week or so ago and they didn't give me much info. They just said there would be a second group pulled off the waitlist at some point.

Did you happen to ask how deep their waitlist is?
That would be really helpful to know but I wonder if they could/would tell....?

Mutt said:
Did you happen to ask how deep their waitlist is?
That would be really helpful to know but I wonder if they could/would tell....?

I'm pretty sure the letter said the waitlist was 100 deep. So, that pretty much leaves us with nothing to go on. :)

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but which letter are you talking about j'kwan?

akaz said:
Send it to admissions. They probably aren't and say you have been sending them to interviewers.
Definitely, definitely send it to admissions. I absolutely would not count on your interviewers sending it along. Good luck to everyone.

J'kwan said:
This is basically a bump.

I was just wondering if anyone's heard anything about waitlist movement. I called a week or so ago and they didn't give me much info. They just said there would be a second group pulled off the waitlist at some point. I'm losing more and more hope each day. :( Any news?

Hey Guys I was accepted yesterday so its moving, i dont know that i will attend, financial aid will have to be really good, its too bad because i really love Cornell. Best of luck to you all

ruglazier said:
Hey Guys I was accepted yesterday so its moving, i dont know that i will attend, financial aid will have to be really good, its too bad because i really love Cornell. Best of luck to you all

Congratulations!

ruglazier said:

When did you interview and how did you find out?

Congratulations! Good luck with your decision making. But it sounds like you must have another great school lined up also so you can't go wrong either way.

Mutt said:
I interviewed in November because that was when I scheduled an interview at Yale. I informed Cornell I would be in the area and they were kind enough to interview me. I always wonder if they would have invited me to interview anyway but ultimately I was waitlisted at Yale and Cornell and Came off both lists this past week, its been a long wait and I am really flattered to have to choose between these two schools. (I feel like I have been asked ot the prom by the two prettiest girls in school) I really hope you guys get an offer, I know what limbo feels like.

Mutt said:
........Oh yes, as to how I "found out," they called me and sent an email

ruglazier said:

First off congrats. As far as financial aid goes, I know that Cornell fin aid is one of the best in the biz (of course I can't promise anything). I also fell in love with Cornell, but I didn't think it would be feasible going to a private school over my state school (also prominent name). However, lo and behold it turned out to be cheaper than my state school which made the decision that much easier. Now I'm moving to Manhattan in 2 months which I'm totally stoked about. Good luck to you.

ruglazier said:
I interviewed in November because that was when I scheduled an interview at Yale. I informed Cornell I would be in the area and they were kind enough to interview me. I always wonder if they would have invited me to interview anyway but ultimately I was waitlisted at Yale and Cornell and Came off both lists this past week, its been a long wait and I am really flattered to have to choose between these two schools. (I feel like I have been asked ot the prom by the two prettiest girls in school) I really hope you guys get an offer, I know what limbo feels like.

No contest between Yale and Cornell. I went to Yale. Great place to go for undergrad but do you really want to be in New Haven for the next 4 years? I had an ostensibly tough decision that ended up being easy at the end. PBL. At least some structure. Out at 1pm every day. Chill but extremely talented peers. Rockefeller. Sloan Kettering. HSS. NYC.

Well folks I withdrew today, I wish you all the best of luck, I hope you get into Cornell because it is a great school but I think yale is the best bet for my wife and I.

....anyone....anyone?

....bueller?

Mutt said:
....anyone....anyone?

....bueller?

The asst director of admissions is on vacation for 1 week. Returns July 9

Has anyone tried calling into Cornell admissions (a la Yale's Richard Silverman) to find out more about waitlist movement? I asked and was told that there is no one to talk to, and that I would just have to wait and see. I would really like to do SOMETHING proactive at this point besides sending in updates. Suggestions?

akaz said:
The asst director of admissions is on vacation for 1 week. Returns July 9

inthemiddlewith said:
I asked and was told that there is no one to talk to...
So you called and they said that there was no one to talk to because the dean of admissions was out?

Is that all it takes, one person to be gone and they're incapacitated?

Mutt said:
So you called and they said that there was no one to talk to because the dean of admissions was out?

Is that all it takes, one person to be gone and they're incapacitated?

Any news?

I've pretty much given up. Based on past years' threads, their class is full at this point and, unless someone randomly dies or something, we're SOL as far as Cornell goes....

I'm withdrawing my place at Cornell this morning. Good luck to you all, I hope it goes to one of you!

mexikian said:
I'm withdrawing my place at Cornell this morning. Good luck to you all, I hope it goes to one of you!

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm going to call and beg for the spot... :p