2007-2008 Letter of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I need to get a LOR from a DO....
How do you guys suggest going about this?? I don't know any DO's...:confused:

I have thought, call and ask for an interview....
I have thought, make an appt with one (I need to see a doc anyways) and then ask to shadow and then ask for letter...

Any thoughts/ other suggestions??

I found a physician to shadow through this website:

http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/Mentor_exchange.htm

I would recommend shadowing a D.O. Using the site above you can search for one in your area and by specialty. I would add a note saying you are interested in shadowing the requested mentor. The turnaround time is pretty good from that site. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, that mentor site was very helpful.

UGGGHHH!!! I'm complete at all the schools I applied to besides my science Prof LOR. How do I get on my science professors who agreed to write me one without annoying them to much? I emailed them last Thursday, with no response. I emailed them again today. I'm getting worried as it seems like so many people have already gotten interviews and acceptances, I hope its not getting late!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
UGGGHHH!!! I'm complete at all the schools I applied to besides my science Prof LOR. How do I get on my science professors who agreed to write me one without annoying them to much? I emailed them last Thursday, with no response. I emailed them again today. I'm getting worried as it seems like so many people have already gotten interviews and acceptances, I hope its not getting late!!!!

Visit the prof in person. Maybe he just isn't hip on the new email thing.

What I did with my letter writers who were lagging behind...

I brought them pre-addressed, postage-paid envelopes, and told them all they had to do was drop the letter into the envelope and leave it at the post office. I bought priority overnight postage, which says "hurry" without me having to say it.

I also used interfolio, which makes the process so easy.

Okay I could really use some input with my LOR dilemma. The supervisor for my practice experience is a DO. I've met with her a few times but she hasn't actually seen me working with the clients at their homes. My husband has been doing the same thing only he also works at the clinic so she sees him more often. We both asked her if she felt she could write a strong LOR for us. She said she would be happy to but wants to meet with each of us.

So when my husband met with her she was trying to convince him to apply to the school where she works. His MCAT is 28 and mine is 22. He told her that I probably wouldn't have a good chance of getting in there. So she told him I could just apply next year. So here's the thing, my husband didn't get a strong supportive feeling from her. I feel like I'm being written off for next year because of my MCAT even though I told her I will be retaking in January and I would just see where this application cycle takes me. My husband has another DO letter he decided to use but I don't. I'm nervous that although she said she would be happy to write me a strong LOR that it might not be that strong because of her reservations about my MCAT. Should I scramble to shadow a DO and get a LOR or should I just feel her out during the meeting to see if she would really write a good one?

I heard its bad to have a LOR where the recommender does it with some type of reservation. I say if you are not getting a good vibe from her, move on and find a different more willing DO.

I heard its bad to have a LOR where the recommender does it with some type of reservation. I say if you are not getting a good vibe from her, move on and find a different more willing DO.

See that's the thing. I haven't actually seen her since before I asked for the letter but from what my husband told me about their conversation, I just get this not right feeling about the LOR. I think I will go ahead and e-mail a DO on the osteopathic mentor list and hope I can shadow and get a LOR without being delayed too much.

If anyone could give me some advice for this little dilemma I'm having, I would really appreciate it.

I have been trying for the past 2 weeks to get in touch with a DO who's already agreed to let me shadow him, although with multiple calls I still can't set a date with his assistant. My first option is to just shadow him and then hopefully get a letter from him in a couple of months.

My AACOMAS app was just mailed to my designated schools a couple of days ago, and have already received a secondary from CCOM. I can definitely get a letter from an MD within the next couple of weeks, but I might not potentially get the DO letter until another month or two. Am I better off sending the MD letter now, or waiting to complete my secondary until I have the DO letter in another couple of months?

All the schools I'm applying to (CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM both campuses, and NYCOM), suggest a DO letter but will accept an MD one. My stats are 30P MCAT, 3.4 gpa, 3.35 science GPA. Experience shadowing MDs, working as research assistant in a cancer research lab, with a publication.

Thanks a lot guys!

Okay I could really use some input with my LOR dilemma. The supervisor for my practice experience is a DO. I've met with her a few times but she hasn't actually seen me working with the clients at their homes. My husband has been doing the same thing only he also works at the clinic so she sees him more often. We both asked her if she felt she could write a strong LOR for us. She said she would be happy to but wants to meet with each of us.

So when my husband met with her she was trying to convince him to apply to the school where she works. His MCAT is 28 and mine is 22. He told her that I probably wouldn't have a good chance of getting in there. So she told him I could just apply next year. So here's the thing, my husband didn't get a strong supportive feeling from her. I feel like I'm being written off for next year because of my MCAT even though I told her I will be retaking in January and I would just see where this application cycle takes me. My husband has another DO letter he decided to use but I don't. I'm nervous that although she said she would be happy to write me a strong LOR that it might not be that strong because of her reservations about my MCAT. Should I scramble to shadow a DO and get a LOR or should I just feel her out during the meeting to see if she would really write a good one?

This is in reference to my earlier dilemma. I would like to go ahead and submit my LECOM secondaries but it asks who will be writing the LOR. Is it a problem if I put the DO who has agreed to write one but then just tell them later if I plan on sending a different one?

This is in reference to my earlier dilemma. I would like to go ahead and submit my LECOM secondaries but it asks who will be writing the LOR. Is it a problem if I put the DO who has agreed to write one but then just tell them later if I plan on sending a different one?

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I should just wait to send it in?

Hell no. Get it in ASAP. Sort the details out later. All it takes is a quick e-mail to tell them that you changed your mind about something. I can't imagine that they could possibly care if you did.

Hell no. Get it in ASAP. Sort the details out later. All it takes is a quick e-mail to tell them that you changed your mind about something. I can't imagine that they could possibly care if you did.

Oh okay. I thought you were saying yes it is a problem to change it later. This whole thing is stressing me out. I'm hoping that when I talk to the DO on Friday that I can clarify somehow that she will actually write me a strong LOR. It really stinks to be scrambling for another letter at this point.

Here's a question... Would it be the end of the world if your husband got in somewhere this year, and you spent a year making your application stronger: getting good recs, re-taking the mcat, etc?

You guys are tx residents, right? For financial reasons, I can't imagine a better place for people in your situation than tcom.

Here's a question... Would it be the end of the world if your husband got in somewhere this year, and you spent a year making your application stronger: getting good recs, re-taking the mcat, etc?

You guys are tx residents, right? For financial reasons, I can't imagine a better place for people in your situation than tcom.

Well to be honest we want to leave Texas and try living somewhere new which is why we didn't apply to TCOM. Really I feel at this point like my only real deficit is the MCAT which I plan on retaking in January. It would not be the end of the world if only he got in this year but it would be easier when it comes to med school graduation/matching for residencies, etc.

If you want to leave tx, you should just wait until after med school. Wherever you go, you're just going to be in the library all the time anyway, so does it really matter? In-state tuition at tcom is 1/3 to 1/2 what you'll get elsewhere. And the education is top-notch. X2 people? I don't care how much you don't like texas. I'd go to beirut for a deal like that.

If you want to leave tx, you should just wait until after med school. Wherever you go, you're just going to be in the library all the time anyway, so does it really matter? In-state tuition at tcom is 1/3 to 1/2 what you'll get elsewhere. And the education is top-notch. X2 people? I don't care how much you don't like texas. I'd go to beirut for a deal like that.

I see your point and I know that we wouldn't be out doing things all the time. I still think though that I want to feel like I will be happy spending four years wherever we end up. TCOM is a great deal tuition-wise but I don't think I would go to beirut for it. ;)

So I already got my D.O. to write a LOR for me. She has sent it to interfolio. Now I'm getting secondaries and it seems like everyone wants something a little bit different. So even though she has already written me a really good one that I think goes over the highlights of me do I need to get her to write one specific for each school? Or does everyone else just get one letter and send it to all the schools? I know she's really busy right now too so I don't think she could easily write me another one.

Also when the schools ask that you need your AACOMAS ID and social and all of that do you just put it on the cover sheet of your letter with interfolio? I didn't have her put that information on her letter it only has my name.

My school has been messing up with LoRs. I had been emailing a professor several times over the course of the summer and beginning of this semester with no reply. I even sent her a form to give me a letter just in case and no response. I finally talk to her today and she had sent the letter without tellin me, but the pre med office didn't get it. apparently it's not the first time she's written an LoR for a student that they "misplaced." And i'm still working on that second science letter... so hard to track down certain professors when you aren't taking a course with them. It seems professors don't really want to be bothered sometimes. Honestly, I'd be happy if some of them just said "hey, i'm busy, just write the letter, i'll read it and sign it if I like what you're saying." Atleast that way they agree with whatever is being said about you. I feel that'd be better than just saying you're going to write a letter and then ignoring emails. :D

What form did you giver her? Maybe she sent it to the school>

Just wondering if anyone could help me with my question? post # 271. Thanks so much.

So I already got my D.O. to write a LOR for me. She has sent it to interfolio. Now I'm getting secondaries and it seems like everyone wants something a little bit different. So even though she has already written me a really good one that I think goes over the highlights of me do I need to get her to write one specific for each school? Or does everyone else just get one letter and send it to all the schools? I know she's really busy right now too so I don't think she could easily write me another one.

Also when the schools ask that you need your AACOMAS ID and social and all of that do you just put it on the cover sheet of your letter with interfolio? I didn't have her put that information on her letter it only has my name.

If she already wrote you a good letter thats fine. Unless the school requires you to submit a specific evaluation form, then you will probably have to have her fill it out again. How do you know she didn't put the AACOMAS ID and social on the letter, did you see the recommendation letter? I think attaching a cover sheet with that info shouldn't be a problem.

BTW when you sign up for interfolio, how does the recommender know which account to load up the letters with? Is there any specific verification number or code interfolio gives us to give to the recommender to match it with our information. I'm thinking about adding a interfolio account, so it will be easier for my recommenders and me if I want to send out additional letters. They already submitted (will submit) LORs for 7 schools I had applied to, I gave them stamped envelopes and such, but I'm thinking of applying to more schools so I think it will be easier for all of us.

When you sign up for interfolio you can then print out a request form to give to your letter writers. The form has instructions on where they send your letter. So it has your account information on the request form. I think they have the option of mailing it in with the form or going to the website and uploading the document.

Thanks so much for your help! I was kinda worried that I would have to get a new letter for each school but I think I can just use the one. I know she didn't put my info on the letter because i didn't provide that info. My mistake but its too late for that now. I pretty sure though when you want interfolio to send your LORs to the schools the cover sheet can have your ID numbers on it.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for a med school to process a letter of recommendation sent through snail mail?

That would depend on the school, and how busy they happen to be when they get your letter.

Does anyone know if LECOM will accept a LOR from an M.D. instead of a D.O.? I have a strong letter from the Chief of Staff at the local hospital, but he is an M.D. I have emailed the admissions office, but they have not gotten back to me, and I want to submit this secondary ASAP, it is one of my top schools.

Here’s my dilemma…

As you all know, most DO schools require a letter from a DO. The first physician I shadowed wrote me one and handed it to me so I had the chance to read it. Its not a good letter in my opinion, its short (about 6 lines) and its not formatted well and the worst of all it has a spelling mistake. So I shadowed another physician in hopes to get a better letter, but when I asked him for one he declined because the shadowing period was too short. Now I am in a pickle with my applications waiting so I need one ASAP. I am now thinking either to use the not-so-good letter, or find a new physician to shadow. If I do the latter, I am thinking of asking for a letter upfront because I have no time for refusals. But that sounds rude and unprofessional. :scared:

Please advise, what do you all think I should do?

maybe you should try asking that first doctor you shadowed, to correct the spelling mistake, and ask if is possible to be formatted correctly.

make sure that letter is on university or institution letterhead

maybe you should try asking that first doctor you shadowed, to correct the spelling mistake, and ask if is possible to be formatted correctly.

make sure that letter is on university or institution letterhead

That sounds like a good suggestion except that I am afraid of offending the doc and plus I moved to a different state and he probably doesn't remember me much anymore. And yeah, it isn't even on letterhead and he gave me a copy to mail myself which I'm pretty sure doesn't look so good.

(sigh) :(

That sounds like a good suggestion except that I am afraid of offending the doc and plus I moved to a different state and he probably doesn’t remember me much anymore since it was a while ago. And yeah, it isn’t even on letterhead and he gave me a copy to mail myself which I’m pretty sure doesn’t look so good.

(sigh) :(

yeah...i think adcoms want letters on professional letterhead...and considering that your letter has a spelling error, on normal sheet of paper, and the fact that you got to read it beforehand, and that its only 6 lines, adcoms may frown.

I feel really bad for you - that quack doctor needs to learn how to read/write...i wonder what he got on his mcat writing sample :laugh:

anyway, theres not much else you can do but shadow another doctor. Here's my experience with that: I met with the DO, talked to him for a few hours about my interests, osteopathic medicine, his experiences, what schools are good, etc (yeah, he's an awesome guy to help out a dinky little premed like me). Then, I told him that most of these schools require a letter, and that I would like to shadow him if at all possible. He said sure, and I shadowed him for a few shifts, and then asked him if it was too bold of me to request a letter. He asked me to send him my cv and personal statement, etc. and i think he wrote me a good letter, even though i never got a chance to read it.

Sorry for rambling, but i think you should just tell the new DO you choose, that schools require a letter, and that you'd like to shadow him - you dont have to directly say that you want a letter from him.

yeah...i think adcoms want letters on professional letterhead...and considering that your letter has a spelling error, on normal sheet of paper, and the fact that you got to read it beforehand, and that its only 6 lines, adcoms may frown.

I feel really bad for you - that quack doctor needs to learn how to read/write...i wonder what he got on his mcat writing sample :laugh:

anyway, theres not much else you can do but shadow another doctor. Here's my experience with that: I met with the DO, talked to him for a few hours about my interests, osteopathic medicine, his experiences, what schools are good, etc (yeah, he's an awesome guy to help out a dinky little premed like me). Then, I told him that most of these schools require a letter, and that I would like to shadow him if at all possible. He said sure, and I shadowed him for a few shifts, and then asked him if it was too bold of me to request a letter. He asked me to send him my cv and personal statement, etc. and i think he wrote me a good letter, even though i never got a chance to read it.

Sorry for rambling, but i think you should just tell the new DO you choose, that schools require a letter, and that you'd like to shadow him - you dont have to directly say that you want a letter from him.

I guess that’s my only and obvious option, I just wanted to hear it from someone else. If it was a simple spelling error it might even go unnoticed, but baccalaureate was spelled bachelorette…funny and frustrating at the same time. Your doc sounds awesome, I'll take one with a side of fries.

I guess that’s my only and obvious option, I just wanted to hear it from someone else. If it was a simple spelling error it might even go unnoticed, but baccalaureate was spelled bachelorette…funny and frustrating at the same time. Your doc sounds awesome, I'll take one with a side of fries.
I told the receptionist that I was a pre-med student and needed shadowing experience with a LOR if possible. I went to interview with him to make sure we were a good fit, and he told me without me asking that he would have no problems writing me a LOR after a couple shifts. I think both of us being motorcyclists may have helped though :D Helps to have a common interest, I guess.

What kind of douche writes a letter like that?

Here is my suggestion (if you want to use it for multiple schools): look at some of the evaluation forms that these schools have on their websites, and then make your own. Have specific questions that you want the evaluator to answer, and maybe some places that they can rate you from 1-5 or whatever on various things. Put on it that you waive your right to see the letter, and create an interfolio account where each evaluator can send or upload the letters after they are done.

i found it helpful to be upfront from the beginning. in an email, i introduced myself and stated that most osteopathic schools require/prefer a LOR from a DO. in order to obtain such a letter i was willing to shadow and/or meet him for as long as he felt necessary.

this may have been a bold move to some, but i received positive responses and ultimately a nice letter. this is also a good strategy b/c some docs don't even want you to shadow them; they are comfortable writing a recommendation after only talking for awhile. this leaves them that option.

Does anyone know if LECOM will accept a LOR from an M.D. instead of a D.O.? I have a strong letter from the Chief of Staff at the local hospital, but he is an M.D. I have emailed the admissions office, but they have not gotten back to me, and I want to submit this secondary ASAP, it is one of my top schools.

They are one of the schools that specifically require a DO LOR and state it in clearly on their secondary application.

You should call them, though, just to make sure.

BTW when you sign up for interfolio, how does the recommender know which account to load up the letters with? Is there any specific verification number or code interfolio gives us to give to the recommender to match it with our information.

Yep, it's pretty cool. :D You can print out an instruction sheet titled personally to your letter writer and it includes instructions on sending the LOR via snail mail, fax or electronic upload.

I'm thinking about adding a Interfolio account, so it will be easier for my recommenders and me if I want to send out additional letters.

:thumbup: I have nothing but good things to say about Interfolio. They have made this process soooo much easier. :D

Hey everyone!

I am applying to both osteopathic and allopathic medical schools and am currently shadowing an osteopathic physician. I was wondering if it was appropriate for me to send a recommendation letter from DO doctor to allopathic medical schools. I don't know if that would look bad or not, considering they might want a recommendation letter from a MD doctor. I figured clinical experience is clinical experience no matter what type of doctor you shadow.

Thanks!

Hey guys
my aacomas got verified. My first secondary requires a DO letter. I do not have a DO letter, and trying to get one now is almost impossible and late. Is this letter absolutely neccessary? If it is, please tell me which schools do not require a DO letter and I will apply there instead. Thanks.

Off the top of my head I know that CCOM and AZCOM do not require a DO letter but you do have to have a physician letter. I believe that UNECOM also doesn't not require one. Wait, that's right, they don't require one because ShyRem, current student, didn't have one. Both LECOMs require one but I'm not sure about the other schools.

As mentioned in another recent thread in this forum, UMDNJ-SOM does not require, or even really mention, a letter from a physician. They only ask for a pre-med committee letter. Keep in mind however that you will be competing against people who do have physician recommendations and health care experiences.

I agree...I am having this dilemna as well.

if the school requires a DO letter, then its absolutely required...i dont think they make exceptions. however, many schools just want a physician letter, although a DO is preferred....but MD will do also...

Some schools offer physician letters as an option, not a requirement.

i found it helpful to be upfront from the beginning. in an email, i introduced myself and stated that most osteopathic schools require/prefer a LOR from a DO. in order to obtain such a letter i was willing to shadow and/or meet him for as long as he felt necessary.

this may have been a bold move to some, but i received positive responses and ultimately a nice letter. this is also a good strategy b/c some docs don't even want you to shadow them; they are comfortable writing a recommendation after only talking for awhile. this leaves them that option.

hopefully urs wrote a solid letter, compared to that other quack doctor

Hey guys
my aacomas got verified. My first secondary requires a DO letter. I do not have a DO letter, and trying to get one now is almost impossible and late. Is this letter absolutely neccessary? If it is, please tell me which schools do not require a DO letter and I will apply there instead. Thanks.

If the school requires a DO letter, then you won't be complete at that school until you submit one to them. Unless you can get one now, your only real option is to talk to the admissions office at that given school and see if they will allow you to substitute the required DO letter for another type (say, MD letter, for example). That's the only thing I can think of.

You can find LOR requirements at the AACOM site and by checking the admissions requirements directly from each individual school's website.

I just realized that a letter of recommendation from a DO is a REQUIREMENT! I had no clue before I looked at the secondary application. Now I'm in a big hole. What do I do? I mean I don't know of any DO physicians, or where they are located.

I'm from Suffolk County, Long Island, NY. Can anyone tell me where I can find a DO physician around here that I could shadow for a really short time and will give me a letter of recommendation very quickly and easily? or does anyone know one I could just do this for? I would really appreciate any contact information.

I mean, how do I even approach them? Do I just tell them my situation up front? How long should I tell them I will shadow for before getting the letter?

Also, if I send in my secondary applications without the DO application, will they still consider me, or just set my application aside till they receive the DO letter?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I just realized that a letter of recommendation from a DO is a REQUIREMENT! I had no clue before I looked at the secondary application. Now I'm in a big hole. What do I do? I mean I don't know of any DO physicians, or where they are located.

I'm from Suffolk County, Long Island, NY. Can anyone tell me where I can find a DO physician around here that I could shadow for a really short time and will give me a letter of recommendation very quickly and easily? or does anyone know one I could just do this for? I would really appreciate any contact information.

I mean, how do I even approach them? Do I just tell them my situation up front? How long should I tell them I will shadow for before getting the letter?

Also, if I send in my secondary applications without the DO application, will they still consider me, or just set my application aside till they receive the DO letter?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Get the Yellow Pages out, look under "Physicians," and pick out a doctor's name that you like. Give the office a call and explain your situation: you want to go to medical school and would like to shadow Dr. X for a day.

I live in Suffolk, too; there are plenty of DOs here and in Nassau. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a willing doc.

Hey guys I have a concern about my LORs. I had sent my LOR from an osteopathic physician to my pre-med advisor to be included in the composite letter that gets sent from the pre-med office. What I recently noticed was that the schools usually list them seperately on their websites under the supplemental applicaton section. Does this mean that they have to be sent in separately? or are we allowed to have our D.O. letter included in the composite. thanks for the responses.