2007-2008 Letter of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think MSUCOM is the only school that requires (strongly recommends) their forms to be filled out.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, that MSUCOM LOR thread is what got me thinking about this.

All summer I have had an internship at a hospital with Neurosurgery, but the person I am in closest contact with is the neurosurgical PA. I have worked with the surgeons, but the PA has gotten to know me and my work ethic.

My question is will schools take an LOR from a PA and not a doctor. I dont feel that any of the doctors know me well enough to write a good letter, or even if they would be willing to do so. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
All summer I have had an internship at a hospital with Neurosurgery, but the person I am in closest contact with is the neurosurgical PA. I have worked with the surgeons, but the PA has gotten to know me and my work ethic.

My question is will schools take an LOR from a PA and not a doctor. I dont feel that any of the doctors know me well enough to write a good letter, or even if they would be willing to do so. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Could you sort of have the letter written by both, i.e. cosigned?

I am freaking out now. I got an interview at NOVA, but I haven't taken a liberal arts class in over 2 years, so that LOR requirement is gonna be tough.

I am freaking out now. I got an interview at NOVA, but I haven't taken a liberal arts class in over 2 years, so that LOR requirement is gonna be tough.

I hear ya. I got an interview as well but have not taken an English Lit class.

I hear ya. I got an interview as well but have not taken an English Lit class.

Well I got an e-mail back from them stating I should sub it with another DO/MD letter or another science faculty letter.

I called:

PCOM
ATSU/KCOM
ATSU/MESA
AZCOM
CCOM
TOURO's
WESTERN
MSU
DMU
KCUMB

and the all said they would except an additional LOR! Just thought I'd let everyone know! :)

Good Luck Everyone!!!:luck:

I've tried to gather information from what has already been posted but I want to make sure I am correct. So I asked the DO I shadowed if she would write me a letter and she said yes. She needs to know where to send it. So I haven't gotten secondaries yet since I just submitted my application on Monday. Do I go ahead and get her to write it now and then give her envelopes and stuff for sending the letter later? Do I sign up for the interfolio thing and have her send it there? And I know nothing about the interfolio do you sign up for their service, they receive the LOR, then you tell them where to send it? Thanks for your help.

I've tried to gather information from what has already been posted but I want to make sure I am correct. So I asked the DO I shadowed if she would write me a letter and she said yes. She needs to know where to send it. So I haven't gotten secondaries yet since I just submitted my application on Monday. Do I go ahead and get her to write it now and then give her envelopes and stuff for sending the letter later? Do I sign up for the interfolio thing and have her send it there? And I know nothing about the interfolio do you sign up for their service, they receive the LOR, then you tell them where to send it? Thanks for your help.

I would strongly suggest using interfolio. That being said, I haven't used it yet but am signed up for it. You can print a sheet for each writer with your name and whether or not you release your right to view them. They can send that in to interfolio with the letter and whenever you need the letter sent out you can just have it released to whichever school. My professor I just gave it to seems to really like the idea because then he doesn't have to send another one out to each school and I don't have to worry about bugging him when he's busy during the semester.

I would strongly suggest using interfolio. That being said, I haven't used it yet but am signed up for it. You can print a sheet for each writer with your name and whether or not you release your right to view them. They can send that in to interfolio with the letter and whenever you need the letter sent out you can just have it released to whichever school. My professor I just gave it to seems to really like the idea because then he doesn't have to send another one out to each school and I don't have to worry about bugging him when he's busy during the semester.

MSUCOM is one of the only schools that I have seen that does not accept Interfolio.

MSUCOM is one of the only schools that I have seen that does not accept Interfolio.

Thanks Jpc! I forgot to mention that there might be schools who don't take it. If you do a search for interfolio you will find some threads that talk about which schools have taken it in the past.

hey quick LOR question.

i wanted to know if i apply to NSU do i need a pre health comitte or will the letters from the science professors and liberal arts be sufficent?

thanks

izan

Members don't see this ad :)
hey quick LOR question.

i wanted to know if i apply to NSU do i need a pre health comitte or will the letters from the science professors and liberal arts be sufficent?

thanks

izan

I used letters from a DO, 2 science profs, and one liberal arts.

also would it be beneficial to send 2 do lor ?? i have shadowed them both for many months one in IM/CC Pulm and the other EMER. both will be strong letters.

also would it be beneficial to send 2 do lor ?? i have shadowed them both for many months one in IM/CC Pulm and the other EMER. both will be strong letters.

I'm not sure. Would they say something different about you?

well i have assisted in central lines , chest tubes , etc in emergency situations. and the im CC has seen me in rounding and tlakin with the pts

Hi, I recently decided that I wanted to apply to DO schools this cycle. I haven't heard much about osteopathy before this summer, but researching it has helped me realize that I may like it more than traditional medicine.

Since I really want to apply this cycle, and there is not much time, I will not be able to shadow a DO.
I have heard that many schools require a letter of recommendation to come form a DO. Could someone tell me which schools don't so I could apply only to those? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat, desperately wanting to be a DO but not having a DO letter...good luck to you trying to get one. You definitely still have time, try your best (phone book, etc) to get a letter because most schools do require this. Some schools will accept a letter from an MD- if you can get this by all means get complete at these schools.

So far the only schools I have found where you dont need a doctor letter are MSUCOM (you have to have two people that know you well fill out a form) and the AT Still schools (both Mesa and Kirksville). I have those applications out already, so hopefully we see each other around campus in the future! Good luck!

Huh. I didn't have a physician's letter and i applied to a BUNCH of osteo schools. And got interviews. Don't confuse "suggested" or "highly recommended" with "mandatory".

I graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition and had multiple of my nutrition professors write me letters. Do LOR from these profs count as science or non-science letters? They may not have taught me gen chem but my advanced nutrition courses were more in depth than my biochem class. I figure it could be argued either way. Input?

I graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition and had multiple of my nutrition professors write me letters. Do LOR from these profs count as science or non-science letters? They may not have taught me gen chem but my advanced nutrition courses were more in depth than my biochem class. I figure it could be argued either way. Input?

Our opinion doesnt matter. The opinion of the Admissions People does.

Personally I say find at least one hardcore science letter.

I feel I'm personally screwed due to none of my hardcore science teachers willing to write me a letter. I emailed them numerous times and went to visit them also, no replies. I drove 2 hours to my college to go talk to them, and am willing to keep on doing it. I have numerous DO LORs to work with, but no science. I only want one, ONE LOUSY LETTER. God why are professors such g** d*** pricks. I will write it for them if they are so g** d*** lazy to do it. All they have to do is sign and send it in with the addressed envelope I will provide. IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK. So now should I even send in the secondaries for the schools?

This really ticks me off as I have great EC's, lots of research experience, lots of hospital experience, and been involved with osteopathic medicine for a long time since my brother is a DO. If I don't get in I will prlly have to live on the street next year. :(

Hello! Let me gently remind you that offensive language isn't a good idea. There are *lots* of more.. creative.. ways of expressing displeasure than 4 letter words. Be nice and be aware these are public forums that can be read by folks who may not appreciate the finer points of swearing.

:) Feel free to be intelligently (and cleanly) creative in place of your favorite gutter language. I've been known to be fond of "lodge-pole pine genetic tree" myself.

I'm sorry, I just had to vent I will be more considerate next time around.

"lodge-pole pine genetic tree" LOL please elaborate what this means?

So finally 2 of my professors agreed to meet with me next week. :D
I was wondering does each college require its own unique recommendation letter? For example I'm applying to LECOM, DMU, AZCOM, CCOM, VCOM, UNECOM, NOVA. So can my professors send the same recommendation letter to each one of these schools, or will I have to tell them to change it to accommodate each school? (hope not)

DMU, CCOM and AZCOM don't need anything written especially for them. Idon't know about the others.

I really thought this question was asked before but I can't seem to find it using search. If someone has the link to it, paste please :)

Anyway, I was wondering if it was acceptable or even a remotely good idea to have a LOR from a CC professor

Thanks

I really thought this question was asked before but I can't seem to find it using search. If someone has the link to it, paste please :)

Anyway, I was wondering if it was acceptable or even a remotely good idea to have a LOR from a CC professor

Thanks

I used lor's from cc profs and university profs. I kow many people say don't do it, but I used both and it worked out well for me. I had multiple acceptances last year.

Marcia

Thanks

I don't see how it could be a problem. The important thing is that this professor in question can write you a strong letter in support of your candidacy. I doubt the location of his or her academic appointment matters. I used a letter from a professor whose normal academic appointment was at a community college, but who also lectured at my university, from where I took the class. I did not encounter any problems that I know of.

Would a LOR from my psychopharmacology professor count as science?

Would a LOR from my psychopharmacology professor count as science?

My assumption is that it would but I would contact the schools and let them know/ ask if this is acceptable for a science LOR. I did that for a Radiation Science class (when the schools said "hard science professors" only) and it was no problem.

from what ive gathered from this thread, a DO letter is to show the adcoms you have a genuine interest in osteopathic medicine. my lor is from an MD, but I have been treasurer for my schools pre-SOMA club for almost 3 years now...would the adcoms take that into account?

from what ive gathered from this thread, a DO letter is to show the adcoms you have a genuine interest in osteopathic medicine. my lor is from an MD, but I have been treasurer for my schools pre-SOMA club for almost 3 years now...would the adcoms take that into account?

yes, but a couple of schools say DO specifically (1 or 2).

I know I could research this myself but I figure someone out there might not have anything better to do than to answer my question.

All of them. Basically. The AT Still schools (Mesa and Kirksville) require either a letter from an employer or doctor. MSUCOM requires two forms to be filled out by people that know you well.

Other than that, OUCOM and NECOM both suggest a DO letter but do not require it. Every other school requires either a letter from a DO, or will consider a letter from an MD (this differs from school to school) although it states they prefer a DO letter.

from my research, straight from school websites or from secondaries:
note: i edited out stuff about pre-med committees cus that doenst apply to my situation, but this should give you a good starting point

Midwestern
sci prof, DO/MD...DO recommended

Lake Eerie
2 sci, 1 DO

nova (NSU-COM)
2 sci, 1 non sci, 1 DO

UNECOM
2 sci, 1 do, 1 professional (md, do, etc), more accepted

AT Still (soma)
1 sci, 1 other DO recommended

LMU-DCOM
DO, 2 sci

UMDNJ-SOM
2 sci

KCUMB
1 sci, 1 md/do (preferred).
1 to sub for premed advisor???

Im confused about PCOM's recommendation letters. My school does not have a premedical advisory committee, so I emailed the dean of my school. He said they don't send Letter of Recommendation but Letters of 'Good Standing'. Is that what PCOM requires? My dean said they have done this before but just wants me to confirm if this is what I need till he sends it to PCOM.

I couldn't find this question anywhere. I am ready to submit my AACOMAS (waited on MCAT scores) in the next few days but my letters of rec have already been sent out by my pre-health office. Will that be a problem? Thanks!

I notice that many schools require/highly recommend an evaluation from a physician (preferably DO).

Do the schools want a separate individual evaluation form that is to be filled out by a physician... or will my 1 physician recommendation (thats added to my PREMED file) be sufficient?

by the way, i dont like mike vick anymore. i created this screenname a while back...

I am authorizing you to become a Vince Young fan.

I really don't know the answer to your question, but I'd imagine that if you have a recommendation from a physician in your file, it should be okay.

thanks for the reply. here goes a long season w/ joey harrington. lol.

but seriously, does anyone know the answer to my question?

thanks for the reply. here goes a long season w/ joey harrington. lol.

but seriously, does anyone know the answer to my question?

I think the if the schools accept DO or MD lor's you will be fine. A couple of schools require a DO letter

I notice that many schools require/highly recommend an evaluation from a physician (preferably DO).

Do the schools want a separate individual evaluation form that is to be filled out by a physician... or will my 1 physician recommendation (thats added to my PREMED file) be sufficient?

The way I handled recommendations was through my undergraduate premedical committee. They put together all my recommendations, including my physician recommendation, and sent them out as a packet to all my schools. I did not send any LORs to the schools myself, or use any of the individual forms provided by the schools. That said, I also reviewed my secondary applications to see if that was an acceptable option. If there is any confusion about whether your method of submitting LORs will meet their requirements, contact the schools and ask.

Sorry, this may be a stupid question, but I was wondering how exactly are letters of recommendation sent? Can you send them all through interfolio.com or are there various schools that require paper letters? I'm very new at this.

Thanks!

I applied to twelve DO schools. The only school that does not accept Interfolio (in my experience) is MSUCOM. They require forms.

Sorry, this may be a stupid question, but I was wondering how exactly are letters of recommendation sent? Can you send them all through interfolio.com or are there various schools that require paper letters? I'm very new at this.

Thanks!

Definitely check with the schools in question and with interfolio, but I think many, if not most, medical schools will accept interfolio. Rather than sending individual letters to each school, I think a LOR service like interfolio, if the medical schools in question accepts it, is the best way to go.

I didn't have to contend with these LOR services, however, since my undergraduate institution acted as the clearinghouse for my LORs. They sent everything, including an evaluation by the premedical committee, in a LOR packet to every school that I applied to.

I need to get a LOR from a DO....
How do you guys suggest going about this?? I don't know any DO's...:confused:

I have thought, call and ask for an interview....
I have thought, make an appt with one (I need to see a doc anyways) and then ask to shadow and then ask for letter...

Any thoughts/ other suggestions??