2007-2008 Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So as I sit here staring at the secondary prompts for PCOM, CCOM, and AZCOM. Im confused as what to put for the question, "Why do want to attend PCOM, or why do you believe CCOM or AZCOM will provide the education you are seeking.?

I know what to write for why I want to be an osteopathic physician prompt.

But Im completely blanking on the other one as mentioned above. I was thinking about (great match lists, location, comlex pass rates) but these all seem to general and I'm guessing everyone will write that. So any suggestions?

Do you have any contacts with the school? Other than that, I think what you said is what they are looking for. they just want to know that you know something about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

So as I sit here staring at the secondary prompts for PCOM, CCOM, and AZCOM. Im confused as what to put for the question, "Why do want to attend PCOM, or why do you believe CCOM or AZCOM will provide the education you are seeking.?

I know what to write for why I want to be an osteopathic physician prompt.

But Im completely blanking on the other one as mentioned above. I was thinking about (great match lists, location, comlex pass rates) but these all seem to general and I'm guessing everyone will write that. So any suggestions?

look at their websites and mission statements... basically what their strong points are, and base it off that... for example pcom is old (rich history), well established, many hospital affiliations, ect.

For Ohio's 2ndary, did anyone attach their PS? With such a long prompt, I'm not sure that I can fit it in the space they provided.

Members don't see this ad :)
For MSUCOM's essay question... Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

is it a red flag to discuss religion/sprituality??? like... say personal decisions I've made that have been ethical challenges for me have greatly influenced my character and drove me to develop specific skills essential to osteopathic medicine... and that was a decision to practice a different religion. i mean, it's actually opened my mind to a variety of religions/cultures/people...and has influenced my humanitarian/comm service desires... i know it's borderline..but it's so true u know? btw im a religious studies major with a minor in global peace and security... so it's obvious that this line of study prob plays a role in my life and in my decision to pursue a career in osteopathic medicine... not to mention conviction in holistic angles to healthcare...

thanks guys!

For MSUCOM's essay question... Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

is it a red flag to discuss religion/sprituality??? like... say personal decisions I've made that have been ethical challenges for me have greatly influenced my character and drove me to develop specific skills essential to osteopathic medicine... and that was a decision to practice a different religion. i mean, it's actually opened my mind to a variety of religions/cultures/people...and has influenced my humanitarian/comm service desires... i know it's borderline..but it's so true u know? btw im a religious studies major with a minor in global peace and security... so it's obvious that this line of study prob plays a role in my life and in my decision to pursue a career in osteopathic medicine... not to mention conviction in holistic angles to healthcare...

thanks guys!

I think the essay is asking for a time when you had to make a tough decision. How did you make your decision? How has it changed you and made you stronger? How will it help you as a DO. Did it make you more compassionate, humble, etc.?

hi, can anybody tell me if there's a word/character limit to the LECOM essays?

Quick question... some of the essays for the secondary apps seem similar to a personal statement. Do they want us to write a new essay or is it acceptable to use the same personal statement as written for AACOMAS primary? Thanks in advance for the help.

Quick question... some of the essays for the secondary apps seem similar to a personal statement. Do they want us to write a new essay or is it acceptable to use the same personal statement as written for AACOMAS primary? Thanks in advance for the help.

I think you should write a new one.

The purpose of the secondary application is to provide the school with additional information about you. They've already read your primary application, so this is another opportunity for them to learn more about you.

So, DEFINETELY write new essays. You would be missing out on a valuable opportunity to make yourself stand out among applicants.

I read the postings about this earlier in the thread, but still wanted to ask anyway....I am completing the UNECOM secondary application.

So, the question about if you know anyone at the school, have talked with anyone from admissions, etc. Of course, I am going to be honest but since this is considered an "essay", do you think it's acceptable to just simply state that that I have had no contact with anyone from the school and have not visited? If so, my answer is only going to be about a sentence long. I guess that's better than stretching it out into a paragraph of b.s., but wanted to know what other people in the same situation have done.

thanks!!

When I was applying last year I emailed the admissions office and they had a student e-mail me so I was able to ask them questions. I used this experience in my secondary. Incidentally I did get an interview and was accepted.

I have a question about CCOM's secondary. I received it today and they said I met their requirements or something like that. The thing is the AAMC doesn't have my SSN right so AACOMAS will not download my scores yet. So does MCAT score not matter when getting secondaries?

Okay I have another question. I received the LECOM secondary but it doesn't specify which campus. I know the questions are the same but how do we submit to the two different campuses?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the PCOM application, it asks you to list your medical experiences. Is this something that they want in essay form or just a list of the items? I tried to call but they already closed.

How long is your essay? Mine is about 2 pages doubly spaced right now.

Okay I have some questions about the NSU secondary. It says to list the osteopathic schools I have applied to. Do I include NSU on that list or is that self-explanatory? I haven't submitted the secondaries for any schools yet so would my status be pre-secondary? I'm also supposed to put if I was granted an interview. If I put no will that seem like I was rejected or should I just put n/a?

Okay I have some questions about the NSU secondary. It says to list the osteopathic schools I have applied to. Do I include NSU on that list or is that self-explanatory? I haven't submitted the secondaries for any schools yet so would my status be pre-secondary? I'm also supposed to put if I was granted an interview. If I put no will that seem like I was rejected or should I just put n/a?

I think it is either or for your first question.

I would say pre-secondary.

I think since you are pre-secondary, it is fine that you haven't been offered any interviews.

Thanks! Now I have a couple more stupid questions. Is it okay to just abbreviate the schools' names rather than type it all out? For significant healthcare experience could I include my job working with the mentally ill and volunteer experience doing fingerstick blood glucose and HgA1C tests for a study?

Thanks! Now I have a couple more stupid questions. Is it okay to just abbreviate the schools' names rather than type it all out? For significant healthcare experience could I include my job working with the mentally ill and volunteer experience doing fingerstick blood glucose and HgA1C tests for a study?

Yes. I think you can abbreviate the names.

Yes. You had to talk to patients and their families.

Thanks again Jpc! So I thought this thread needed a bump so I will ask another stupid question. On the DMU secondary they ask if you are interested in doing research. Honestly, I'm not but I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot if I say no. It's kind of like on the Nova application where they ask if you are open to primary care and practicing in an underserved area. I am so I said yes to both but I really can't imagine anyone saying no. So what would you do, be honest and say no or put yes in the chances that you might be interested in the future?

It won't hurt to say yes. It is not a commitment or anything. The section is optional. I said no to a DO/Masters in ... and got an interview.

It won't hurt to say yes. It is not a commitment or anything. The section is optional. I said no to a DO/Masters in ... and got an interview.

That's true, and it's not like I'm completely anti-research or anything. I probably way overthinking these secondaries but I just started and don't want to mess up my chances. Thanks again!

That's true, and it's not like I'm completely anti-research or anything. I probably way overthinking these secondaries but I just started and don't want to mess up my chances. Thanks again!

I just went back to look at my first secondary I completed (USUHS, a MD program) and its atrocious even though I was so thorough. It gets easier!

I just went back to look at my first secondary I completed (USUHS, a MD program) and its atrocious even though I was so thorough. It gets easier!

I hope so! I haven't even started on any of the essays. I'm still having some angst over the Nova secondary "Interests" page. I can't figure out what activities they want there. I'm really at a loss. And isn't all that stuff on my AACOMAS already?

so I called LMU-DCOM today and they told me my application was still with the adcom!!!! They've had it for over a week now. What should I do? I'm wondering if they are waiting for my updated MCAT or if they are not going to interview me? Does anyone else know of a similar situation? they told me three weeks ago that my application was going before the ADCOM and now still no word. I'm getting really discouraged from this especially when there are a fair amount of people getting interview invites already.

so I called LMU-DCOM today and they told me my application was still with the adcom!!!! They've had it for over a week now. What should I do? I'm wondering if they are waiting for my updated MCAT or if they are not going to interview me? Does anyone else know of a similar situation? they told me three weeks ago that my application was going before the ADCOM and now still no word. I'm getting really discouraged from this especially when there are a fair amount of people getting interview invites already.

Start by calming down. The only thing you will do is get yourself excited. The application is still with the Adcom. Trust me, they will look at it. They get thousands of applications so it will take time. This is why you apply a whole year before you start school. I have a couple of classmates that were not looked at until April and they are here now.

So take it easy. There is nothing you can do but wait.

I'm wondering what essay question(s) everyone had to answer for CCOM. My husband and I received the secondary the same day. My essay question says "Why are you seeking a career in osteopathic medicine, and why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?" His just says "Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?"

I'm confused because his is only half of mine. I told him maybe he should go ahead and just answer the entire question just in case. I just wanted to see if anyone else had either of these two questions.

I had both questions, must have been an error on his application. He should answer both questions.

That's weird. I had the two part question.

Yeah I'm thinking it must have been some kind of fluke. I'll tell him he should probably just do the two part question. I think the answer would flow better that way anyway.

I'm proud of myself :D, I think writing all these secondary essays has really improved my writing. My sister is still skeptical if its really me writing the essays or am I copying from elsewhere (of course I am not). I used to be a horrible writer all through out high school and college (bad grammar, spelling mistakes, horrible organization) but now I'm a whole new person. :idea:

BTW is it bad to reuse some of the same material in the essays? it seems most of the schools ask the same basic question (why do you want to attend this school, why osteopathic, etc etc)

I'm proud of myself :D, I think writing all these secondary essays has really improved my writing. My sister is still skeptical if its really me writing the essays or am I copying from elsewhere (of course I am not). I used to be a horrible writer all through out high school and college (bad grammar, spelling mistakes, horrible organization) but now I'm a whole new person. :idea:

BTW is it bad to reuse some of the same material in the essays? it seems most of the schools ask the same basic question (why do you want to attend this school, why osteopathic, etc etc)

It's perfectly ok. Just tailor the essays to the school (if similar questions).

How long after your primary application is mailed out can you start expecting secondaries to roll in?

It's perfectly ok. Just tailor the essays to the school (if similar questions).

Yea thats what I did, replaced CCOM with AZCOM, KCOM with LECOM... LOL

thank god all my secondaries are in, just waiting for my MCAT score (tomorrow) and professor LORS and I'm complete. :D:D

How long after your primary application is mailed out can you start expecting secondaries to roll in?

I got my first few secondaries a couple days after my application was mailed.

Yea thats what I did, replaced CCOM with AZCOM, KCOM with LECOM... LOL

thank god all my secondaries are in, just waiting for my MCAT score (tomorrow) and professor LORS and I'm complete. :D:D

Do you specifically talk about the school even when they don't say "why _COM?"

I'm wondering what essay question(s) everyone had to answer for CCOM. My husband and I received the secondary the same day. My essay question says "Why are you seeking a career in osteopathic medicine, and why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?" His just says "Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?"

I'm confused because his is only half of mine. I told him maybe he should go ahead and just answer the entire question just in case. I just wanted to see if anyone else had either of these two questions.

Okay here's my update. We didn't e-mail the school but I think maybe they just changed the essay question. When we first received the supplemental from CCOM I opened and saved it as a Word document which has the two part question. When I used the same link last night to open the Word supplemental again it only has the one part question. I'm guessing that just means they changed it for some reason.

NO NO NO, sorry I should have made it more clear. Actually I did have a sentence or two where I did talk about them in LECOM and KCOM, but not a whole lot, since they didn't ask the particular question.

I noticed PCOM, CCOM, AZCOM had very similar questions (why _COM, why should we accept you, Why osteopathic medicine). So kind of similar essays for the three.
LECOM and KCOM were not completely similar but something along the lines of (What qualities you bring, What clinical experiences you had, what community) So those two were kind of similar.

Of course I tailored it to each school like JPC suggested, I didn't put AZCOM has a old and rich history or something along those lines. Thats real ODD If they changed the question in the middle of a cycle, I would definitely call or email just as a precaution.

NO NO NO, sorry I should have made it more clear. Actually I did have a sentence or two where I did talk about them in LECOM and KCOM, but not a whole lot, since they didn't ask the particular question.

I noticed PCOM, CCOM, AZCOM had very similar questions (why _COM, why should we accept you, Why osteopathic medicine). So kind of similar essays for the three.
LECOM and KCOM were not completely similar but something along the lines of (What qualities you bring, What clinical experiences you had, what community) So those two were kind of similar.

Of course I tailored it to each school like JPC suggested, I didn't put AZCOM has a old and rich history or something along those lines. Thats real ODD If they changed the question in the middle of a cycle, I would definitely call or email just as a precaution.

LECOM-B is my top choice school and I would love to mention why LECOM but I wasn't sure how to since it wasn't asked. I think if you did put that AZCOM has an old and rich history they would definitely suspect some copying and pasting. I think I actually might go ahead and call CCOM really quick to make sure. Thanks!

You could say you want to be part of the development of a rich history!

Has anyone recieved their touro-ny secondary? I just got mine. Does that mean I'm guaranteed an interview?

This is what I received:

AZCOM: Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are
seeking, and why should AZCOM accept you into this year’s class?

CCOM: Why are you seeking a career in osteopathic medicine, and why do you believe CCOM would provide
you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

Both ask for your CV also.

:confused:

This is what I received:

AZCOM: Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are
seeking, and why should AZCOM accept you into this year’s class?

CCOM: Why are you seeking a career in osteopathic medicine, and why do you believe CCOM would provide
you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

Both ask for your CV also.

:confused:

Interesting. When did you receive the secondary? I didn't get around to calling them today but plan on it tomorrow.

hey all... i was just wondering.. how long did it take those of you who applied to touro NY and touro NV to get secondaries? i got one from touro CA and pretty much every other school i applied to.. i know they screen primaries and i still havent gotten mine yet. i submitted Aug29.. i hope im just freaking out for no reason...

oh on the brighter side of things.. i got an interview to NSUCOM on 10/23/07... wahooo! :D:D:D

Interesting. When did you receive the secondary? I didn't get around to calling them today but plan on it tomorrow.

Both schools received my primary on 7/5 and I received both secondaries on 7/16.

Both schools received my primary on 7/5 and I received both secondaries on 7/16.

We just received the secondary last week so it's possible they changed the question but it would be kind of weird to do it after the application season already started.

Is waiting to send secondaries all the way until mid october to late:eek:
It seems like they are going to take forever.

Thank you

Has anyone else besides me been waiting on DCOM's ADCOM to tell them they can have an interview? I was complete at the beginning of August 8/2. Is anyone else in the same boat? are they backed up real bad? AHHHHHH! I'm sick of waiting:mad:

and to the poster above me, dont wait on the secondaries. Get them completed and out as fast as you can