2007-2008 Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know the essay prompts of COMP, NYCOM, and WVSOM? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering what essay question(s) everyone had to answer for CCOM. My husband and I received the secondary the same day. My essay question says "Why are you seeking a career in osteopathic medicine, and why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?" His just says "Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?"

I'm confused because his is only half of mine. I told him maybe he should go ahead and just answer the entire question just in case. I just wanted to see if anyone else had either of these two questions.

Okay here's the official word from CCOM in case anyone hasn't done the secondary yet and is wondering:

**The very recently revised question on the CCOM supplementary application
is;

"Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic
medical education you are seeking?"

Please use this essay question.**

I have another question too. Does Touro-Nevada not screen anymore? I thought they did but they sent me a secondary today without having my very low MCAT score yet. I'm just wondering if it might be a fluke.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay here's the official word from CCOM in case anyone hasn't done the secondary yet and is wondering:

**The very recently revised question on the CCOM supplementary application
is;

"Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic
medical education you are seeking?"

Please use this essay question.**

I have another question too. Does Touro-Nevada not screen anymore? I thought they did but they sent me a secondary today without having my very low MCAT score yet. I'm just wondering if it might be a fluke.

I don't know... but I would be happy!

I don't know... but I would be happy!

True true. I am to an extent but I'm also a little wary of submitting it and paying the $100 dollars just to find out later they accidentally sent it to me. I will work on being happy for now. :p

True true. I am to an extent but I'm also a little wary of submitting it and paying the $100 dollars just to find out later they accidentally sent it to me. I will work on being happy for now. :p

Yeah, I forgot it was a 100 bucks.

Yeah, I forgot it was a 100 bucks.

Plus since my husband and I are both applying it would be $200. We decided if I got rejected outright that he wouldn't complete the secondary. I have plenty of other secondaries to be filling out in the meantime so I won't worry about it just yet. We applied to 14 schools and the only ones we haven't heard back from yet are KCOM and UMDNJ.

I graduated from college in 2003, how far back should I go when recording my ec's, volunteer, awards and honors? all the way to the begining of college, hs?

also where/do I record my DO shadowing?

I graduated from college in 2003, how far back should I go when recording my ec's, volunteer, awards and honors? all the way to the begining of college, hs?
also where/do I record my DO shadowing?

I would list your EC's from college on (no high school).

I listed my shadowing under the Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service section of the application.

Good Luck :luck:

I would list your EC's from college on (no high school).

I listed my shadowing under the Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service section of the application.

Good Luck :luck:

Thanks Millions, ditto to you

here's a basic question. I'm getting secondaries now, and I'm beginning to work on them.

1. Do they want us to typewrite the applications that are paper applications?

2. For letters of rec, for the apps with their own evaluation forms, do i need to go back to the teachers I already had write an evaluation and have them fill out the forms again? I already had them submit it to interfolio and would hate to bother them again now that the semester is in full swing just to check off some things and mail it off themselves as well. I already also have a pre-med committe recommendation letter, so does the evaluation forms need to be filled out?

thanks in advance.

here's a basic question. I'm getting secondaries now, and I'm beginning to work on them.

2. For letters of rec, for the apps with their own evaluation forms, do i need to go back to the teachers I already had write an evaluation and have them fill out the forms again? I already had them submit it to interfolio and would hate to bother them again now that the semester is in full swing just to check off some things and mail it off themselves as well. I already also have a pre-med committe recommendation letter, so does the evaluation forms need to be filled out?

thanks in advance.

I used interfolio and that was fine for all of the schools I applied to accept for MSU. Most of the forms say "for the recommender's convenience" or something of that nature.

thanks in advance.

If you can just type your info in on the computer then print it and send it, I think that would be best. That's what I plan on doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding schools that require applicants to mail in materials, how did everyone label their essays so that schools know it is your material? I attached a header with my name and AACOMAS ID. Also, did anyone type the secondary question and then have their essay follow? Thanks for any input.

Regarding schools that require applicants to mail in materials, how did everyone label their essays so that schools know it is your material? I attached a header with my name and AACOMAS ID. Also, did anyone type the secondary question and then have their essay follow? Thanks for any input.

In the Header, I put my name, AACOMAS, and email, so I think you are fine. I typed the question and then the essay.

In the Header, I put my name, AACOMAS, and email, so I think you are fine. I typed the question and then the essay.

I'm confused. Isn't there places for all your info on the application? Name, etc.?

If you can just type your info in on the computer then print it and send it, I think that would be best. That's what I plan on doing.

I did this for most secondaries, but I can't type on AZCOM & CCOM's secondary :( It won't let me. I guess I'll just fill it out by hand . . . very carefully :D

:thumbup: I headed the page with my name and AACOMAS ID and the essay prompt.

I'm confused. Isn't there places for all your info on the application? Name, etc.?

I think the poster is referring to the essays or any addendum you would like to add.

I did this for most secondaries, but I can't type on AZCOM & CCOM's secondary :( It won't let me. I guess I'll just fill it out by hand . . . very carefully :D

Did you open it as a Word document?

I think the poster is referring to the essays or any addendum you would like to add.

I knew I wasn't thinking right and there was something obvious I was missing. I wouldn't have actually thought about that so thanks!!

Hey everyone,

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I was wondering about a question on the PCOM supplemental application. The question is asking about health care related experiences. Is that meant to be a brief listing or a longer paragraph with explanations? I just don't want to write a paragraph if it is meant to be just a list. Also, where should I make the check out to (I can't find it)? Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I was wondering about a question on the PCOM supplemental application. The question is asking about health care related experiences. Is that meant to be a brief listing or a longer paragraph with explanations? I just don't want to write a paragraph if it is meant to be just a list. Also, where should I make the check out to (I can't find it)? Thanks!

Someone earlier said they wrote it out to PCOM Office of Admissions. Some people list their experiences others make it more in essay form. I believe someone also said earlier that PCOM said they prefer it in essay form but either is fine. You could probably look through the last few pages to find that info.

Hey everyone,

I wrote it as an essay and made the check out to Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (they cashed it).

:luck:

i went through this thread as much as i could, but i didn't see the secondary prompts for nycom, nova, and vcom. one of my friends just submitted aacomas and i wanted to help him get started on them.
thanks for the help!

i went through this thread as much as i could, but i didn't see the secondary prompts for nycom, nova, and vcom. one of my friends just submitted aacomas and i wanted to help him get started on them.
thanks for the help!

This is from last years secondary thread (and my own google searching). :)

NSU-COM

Just general questions:
past employment, health-care related activities (list), which DO and MD schools you're applying to, and if you've ever matriculated into an MD or DO program

NYCOM

Only given out to those invited for interview.
Basically:
Why NYCOM?
Why osteopathic medicine?

VCOM

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/resource/files/2008-Secondary_Application-2.pdf

how r we supposed to fill out the pcom application if they give it to us in pdf format. i dunno hwo to transfer this to word, but htey want us to type it up as well. can someone help me figure this out please?

how r we supposed to fill out the pcom application if they give it to us in pdf format. i dunno hwo to transfer this to word, but htey want us to type it up as well. can someone help me figure this out please?

You can fill it out in pdf format as well, you dont need word. Just click on the lines.

Now for my own question. How long should secondary essays be for each question? I know it is usually up to the writer, but what is considered sufficient?

PS. I hope no one expects me to go through 18 pages of this thread to find out if this has been answered before. :(

Now for my own question. How long should secondary essays be for each question? I know it is usually up to the writer, but what is considered sufficient?

PS. I hope no one expects me to go through 18 pages of this thread to find out if this has been answered before. :(

First and foremost, don't go over the limit the school sets. After that it is really up to you but a lot of people on here talk about typing half a page to a page. I just finished my CCOM essay which is supposed to be less than 500 words. Mine was about half a page, around 300 or so words.

First and foremost, don't go over the limit the school sets. After that it is really up to you but a lot of people on here talk about typing half a page to a page. I just finished my CCOM essay which is supposed to be less than 500 words. Mine was about half a page, around 300 or so words.

agreed!

Thanks for the replies. :D
My essays are also coming out to be about half a page for each question, I just thought that that might be too short.

To those that have received/ submitted a UNECOM secondary, approx. how long did it take them to send you a secondary after your AACOMAS was mailed? Just wondering because I added them to my AACOMAS a couple weeks ago.

Also, this is probably answered somewhere else but what are their essay questions? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys just out of curiosity, for the extracurriculars, and medically related health experience and so forth, did u guys just copy and paste the info you wrote in your primary apps, cuz I find it kinda repetitive and dont know if thats what they want...or did u make it into a Resume/CV format?

Forgot to mention...im talking about the CCOM secondary! :)

Forgot to mention...im talking about the CCOM secondary! :)

i have the same question. I basically copied and pasted from my CV to the app, now they want the CV? should i change it up a bit?

i have the same question. I basically copied and pasted from my CV to the app, now they want the CV? should i change it up a bit?

CCOM and AZCOM both require a CV/ Resume. Did they add a new section to the application?

CCOM and AZCOM both require a CV/ Resume. Did they add a new section to the application?

Yeah I'm confused because I don't remember anywhere on the app asking about ec's with the exception of including a CV.

Yeah I'm confused because I don't remember anywhere on the app asking about ec's with the exception of including a CV.

I double checked! There is no such section; they just ask for the CV and Essay.

Well it says to include these EC's in your CV...my CV just has professional experience.

This is what it says

1. Attach a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:
• Educational history (colleges attended and degrees earned, do not include GPA or MCAT information)
• Employment history
• College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
• Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
• Medically related work and volunteer experiences
• Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Thus u have to include basically everything in your Primary...so are u guys just copying an pasting it onto your CV??

Okay I see what you mean. Well I already had most of my CV done but I pretty much did copy and paste it into my AACOMAS app. Pretty much the same thing only in the reverse of how you're thinking of doing it.

I didn't go quite into so much detail. I just listed the topic-dates-and a couple of cool tasks.

So I read that TOURO pre-screens for a GPA of above 3.0 is that for both cumulative and science?

No. Did u type your pikeville app? I haven't sumbitted it yet, but wondered if I should scan it and then type it.

Also anybody with any positive word on VCOM? Any interview invites from them?

I talked to Pikeville earlier in the year and the woman I spoke to said that they don't start reviewing applications until October... so I am guessing people will start getting interviews in the next couple weeks.