2007 MCV Central (Part II)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nka1985

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like we posted too much...they closed part I of the thread. Let's get this one rolling. Who thinks we'll find out if we made the waitlist tomorrow?:)

Members don't see this ad.

When did they start closing threads b/c there were too many posts? Last year it got to over 3100 posts.

Hey! A fresh start....maybe that's a good thing. I hope today is a wonderful day for all of us!!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
do u think they mihgt not tell us this week, but next week? the reason why i say this is b/c remember that they had 2 weeks to put a deposit (the march 15t offers), so u think that might mean nething? just curious

Good point Da Nealson, definitely could be the case. Wish we weren't kept in the dark about this! I still have a thread of hope for VCU next fall...

Rumor has it that MCV has not actually filled their class yet. To be honest, I think its just a bunch of speculation based on something vague one of the professors said. So, its possible that the wait is becuase they need to make more offers...I just don't know.

I mean only giving people two weeks chance to actually accept? i dunno if thats the normal case (csondering i have never had a med school acceptance) so maybe that might tell us something.

I mean only giving people two weeks chance to actually accept? i dunno if thats the normal case (csondering i have never had a med school acceptance) so maybe that might tell us something.

Two weeks is essentially the standard amount of time given to confirm an acceptance once it is received.

From what I heard when I went for my interview, they do only give you two weeks to accept. I don't know if it's true that the class is not yet filled, but it certainly would be nice for some offers to go out soon!

I don't think the "2 weeks to accept" really tells us anything. How long they give you to decide seems to depend on the school and where they are in the application cycle...

Wishing :luck: luck to all of us waiting!

I feel like this is like a rite of passage as a pre med to a medical student..the waiting...the agonizing..the depression..:-(

good luck everyone

I feel like this is like a rite of passage as a pre med to a medical student..the waiting...the agonizing..the depression..:-(

good luck everyone

But still frustrating...

Has anyone called the admissions office recently? I'm tempted to call.

So I called the Admissions Office, and it looks like we get to keep waiting. They told me that it looks like we won't hear anything until the early part of next week. Hooray, more waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for calling and letting us know. i hope they will give us an idea of where we stand on the waiting list, even if they dont tell us exactly. even if they just say top half or bottom half it would be helpful.

hahaha ..how about WE GET ACCEPTED b/c people dropped their acceptance..even better....cmon IS PEOPLE drop ur acceptance

thanks for calling and letting us know. i hope they will give us an idea of where we stand on the waiting list, even if they dont tell us exactly. even if they just say top half or bottom half it would be helpful.

From what I've heard, they won't tell you anything. If you email the Dr. WC after May 15th, she'll try to give you some idea though.

And I like DaNealson's idea...OOS people, drop your acceptances please!

if they aren't gonna do it till next week, then does that mean they haven't even decided yet?

if they aren't gonna do it till next week, then does that mean they haven't even decided yet?

They didn't say for sure, but I got that impression. They said, "The were going to notify people the middle of this week, but that didn't work out as planned, so you should hear something around the beginning of next week."

Kinda vague, so who knows?

agreed, haven't gotten anything on VCU yet... and i just got waitlisted at NYMC:mad: . Now im getting worried :eek:

addition: did anyone out right ask if they were taking this time to make extra acceptance offers or if it was just for waitlist organization??

agreed, haven't gotten anything on VCU yet... and i just got waitlisted at NYMC:mad: . Now im getting worried :eek:

addition: did anyone out right ask if they were taking this time to make extra acceptance offers or if it was just for waitlist organization??

I didn't outright ask them, I probably should have. They didn't seem to mind me calling, though, so if you or somebody else wants to ask let us know what they say.

what is there # ? maybe im dumb but i cant find it on their site or on the app.

wow wish i knew about that link earlier.. lol

thanks alot i bookmarked that page, really helpful.

*** add: K K called them. The lady was SUPER nice haha, she defused my slight anger in a second. Anyways. she said offers were made on mar 15 (we knew that), the whole deal about running over the deadline (went over that) she said she didnt know the exact dates yet, she was sorry, but they SHOULD be updated come wednesday.

She said this applied ONLY to waitlists, and all postinterview offers for the mar 15 date were made. However, she did sound a little iffy about finalizing of the slots in the incoming class.

Thats all.

nka1985, thank you for the update. At least we can take a little break from waiting...sort of.

Anyone know how many VCU waitlisted last year?

nka1985, thank you for the update. At least we can take a little break from waiting...sort of.

Anyone know how many VCU waitlisted last year?

I don't think anyone ever said...I do know that on SDN last year only one person said they were flat out rejected on offer day.

Wow! Thank you all for the information!!! I've been at work all day and I really appreciate you all sharing what you have found out.

I with you "Da" in hoping some IS seats open up.

bwaaahhh. VCU falls through again, big suprise.

Wow, working hard on Saturdays. I got my waitlist update today at 2:34 EST.

I received an update from VCU today (saturday).

This is from the website

Here is the information that you have been anxiously awaiting. While we regret that we are unable to offer you a place in the class immediately, we are pleased to advise you that you have been placed on our alternate list. We do anticipate withdrawals from the class over the next several months with the peak coming around May 15, when candidates holding multiple acceptances are asked to send their final acceptance to the schools. As you know, we do not give out any details on your rank on the list. Be assured we will notify you immediately when we are able to offer you an acceptance. In the event that we do not have sufficient withdrawals to be able to offer you a seat you will be notified immediately after our orientation, which is mid-August.

We are anxious to assure you that we found you to be a relatively strong candidate and that the large applicant pool is the primary reason that we are unable to make an offer at this time. If you are not accepted elsewhere, you should apply early this next summer even if you still remain on our alternate list. If you wait for final notification from us, it will put you at a disadvantage for the following year.

We would appreciate your completion of the Alternate List Form, which we have provided at the top of this page. It allows us to track your status and interest in our school. If you have been accepted elsewhere and do not wish to remain on the alternate list, you may withdraw your application by following the instructions on the Alternate List Form; it would be of great assistance if we knew which candidates are still interested in our school.

We expect you to use this form even later in the summer should you be accepted elsewhere and no longer wish to be considered. This enables us to treat your fellow applicants better by allowing us to manage the alternate list more fairly. PLEASE REMEMBER to notify us at any time if your interest in our school changes.

We look forward to hearing from you and sincerely hope that you will be accepted here or elsewhere.

I know they don't give out ranks but did anyone else receive a different waitlist message???
I am OOS

i recieved the same exact message

same message here

IS

lol - same message here as well. The exact same message I received last year for the wait list.

Here's a question for ya: Why do they care whether or not we've been accepted to other schools? If it doesn't alter our position on the list and you can stay on multiple waitlists throughout the summer, why do they even bother asking?

so the options say "acceptance and WL" or "no acceptance and WL"....what's the point of this? does our score go down if we say we have an acceptance? i really don't understand why it would matter.

Anyone have any idea how big the waitlist is and how many IS kids usually get off? Does anyone also know that if a IS Girl or OOS girl drops a spot, does that mean only an IS or OOS girl, respectively, gets in, or does gender not matter?

Finally! The wait for the waitlist is over. Now we can all wait for our acceptances. I pray that they come swiftly and before we have to start the next application cycle. :D

Does anyone know if everyone who interviewed was waitlisted or if they trimmed it down some?

VCU is my first choice! I don't want to mark the "already accepted elsewhere" if that decreases my waitlist score! Has anyone contacted the admissions office regarding this matter? I am not going to lie, but this question is slightly dubious.

I totally agree Phamish! How are they going to use that information? It shouldn't have any bearing on whether they accept someone or not. I can't bring myself to click the already been accepted button.. ay.

woahh - why are you guys worried about saying you've already been accepted elsewhere? If anything I'd think it would make you look more attractive because other schools want your ass!

The only way it could possibly be detrimental is if VCU said "John hasn't been accepted elsewhere so we know he'll take an acceptance from us." But then again if they were worried about that, they could move the the very bottom of the barrel and say "Suzie won't get any other acceptances this season, so let's shoot her an offer and we're positive she'll take it."

Contact VCU and I bet they'll say "it doesnt matter because we only go by your priority score." Then again, if it didnt matter why would they ask?

Got the same waitlist message. While I'm glad they stopped dragging it out, it seems like a good chunk of people waitlisted. Makes me feel like a position on the alternate list isn't very significant or promising. Especially if they haven't drawn from it too much in the past. :( Ah well, this whole charade has kinda turned me off, I'm done stressing over VCU for a good long while. C'est la vie!

VCU is my first choice! I don't want to mark the "already accepted elsewhere" if that decreases my waitlist score! Has anyone contacted the admissions office regarding this matter? I am not going to lie, but this question is slightly dubious.

DONT LIE. After May 15th, VCU will see where you have been accepted - it doesn't matter what you tell them.

I wonder if osteopathic schools count as an acceptance.

It's been a while since my interview, but I vaguely recall Dr. WC talking about accepting people off the waitlist. If I remember correctly, she said that if there were two or more people with the same numerical score, she would pick the person who did not already have an acceptance. She even gave an example of pulling up the applicants on her computer and if Applicant X was already accepted to their state school, she would grant acceptance to Applicant Y, who did not have an acceptance.

But then again, I was famished and my mind was on what they were serving for lunch.

DONT LIE. After May 15th, VCU will see where you have been accepted - it doesn't matter what you tell them.

I actually read somewhere that they know if you have multiple acceptances sometime during April, they just can't say anything about it until May 15th. So I say DONT LIE, that could really get you into trouble later.

Does anybody know how much the OOS waitlist typically moves. I heard last year was slower than usual, but what is the usual?

Also, does anyone know if they actually rejected anyone?

yeah i wonder why they asked that question regarding other acceptances, it has to have some purpose.

did everyone who interviewed and wasn't accepted get waitlisted? has anyone heard of any rejections? i am assuming they cut some ppl off of the waitlist because it took more than a week just to formulate it.

I was wondering if everyone got the same message also? I know they had a lot of messages that they sent pre-interview. I wonder if the messages for the waitlist are all the same and if they mean anything? I havent heard of anyone getting rejected.

It's been a while since my interview, but I vaguely recall Dr. WC talking about accepting people off the waitlist. If I remember correctly, she said that if there were two or more people with the same numerical score, she would pick the person did not already have an acceptance. She even gave an example of pulling up the applicants on her computer and if Applicant X was already accepted to their state school, she would grant acceptance to Applicant Y, who did not have an acceptance.

But then again, I was famished and my mind was on what they were serving for lunch.

Wow - to think that another acceptance could negatively effect your chances... thats insane! But then again I wouldnt put it past VCU...

I was wondering if everyone got the same message also? I know they had a lot of messages that they sent pre-interview. I wonder if the messages for the waitlist are all the same and if they mean anything? I havent heard of anyone getting rejected.

I think that the wait list at VCU is a bit over padded - getting to the list seems to be no accomplishment.

Wow - to think that another acceptance could negatively effect your chances... thats insane! But then again I wouldnt put it past VCU...

It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Do you have a better idea for a tie breaker? The return on accepting OOSers (particularly Californians) who already have spots back home is extremely low. Why offer a seat to them over somebody who is far more likely to come to Richmond?

It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Do you have a better idea for a tie breaker? The return on accepting OOSers (particularly Californians) who already have spots back home is extremely low. Why offer a seat to them over somebody who is far more likely to come to Richmond?

The survey doesn't ask if you have an acceptance at your state school, just if you have another acceptance anywhere. I think most people here agree that there are medical schools that are less desirable than VCU, so that isn't necessarily a great tie breaker, since the person holding a handful of waitlist spots could end up with the most acceptances at the end of the summer.