2007 MCV Central (Part II)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Do you have a better idea for a tie breaker? The return on accepting OOSers (particularly Californians) who already have spots back home is extremely low. Why offer a seat to them over somebody who is far more likely to come to Richmond?

Odd bit of reasoning... Even if a Californian with a UCSF acceptance is likely to turn down an acceptance from VCU, it doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to an acceptance if they are more qualified than others that may be closer to the school. Whats the worst that could happen - they take 2 weeks to turn down the offer and VCU selects another candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

Odd bit of reasoning... Even if a Californian with a UCSF acceptance is likely to turn down an acceptance from VCU, it doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to an acceptance if they are more qualified than others that may be closer to the school.

That's just it, they aren't more qualified. They are numerically tied, and something has to break the tie. If you have a better idea, then by all means...

That's just it, they aren't more qualified. They are numerically tied, and something has to break the tie. If you have a better idea, then by all means...

Sure thing - You've got two completely different candidates with completely different EC's, LORS, Research, etc. Yet by chance they've nailed the same priority score. The dean should sit down and pick the candidate she values more. An applicants location should be considered just as much as eye color, music preference, or race. Oh wait ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure thing - You've got two completely different candidates with completely different EC's, LORS, Research, etc. Yet by chance they've nailed the same priority score. The dean should sit down and pick the candidate she values more. An applicants location should be considered just as much as eye color, music preference, or race. Oh wait ...

It's not a common situation, and the odds that the dean interviewed both candidates is quite low. Lacking anything else to hang one's hat on, I still cannot find anything wrong with using geography + another acceptance as a tie breaker.

Once again, if you have anything better to offer, I'm all ears.

It's not a common situation, and the odds that the dean interviewed both candidates is quite low. Lacking anything else to hang one's hat on, I still cannot find anything wrong with using geography + another acceptance as a tie breaker.

Once again, if you have anything better to offer, I'm all ears.

Who said the dean had to interview both candidates?

Who said the dean had to interview both candidates?

You're right, nobody said that. When you said the dean should select who is more valued, I thought it implied having met both candidates. Even if the dean simply reviews the files on the two candidates, it still comes down to an arbitrary decision. Why not take into account the fact that Student A, who is from Winchester and attends the University of Richmond, is about 1000 fold more likely to attend than Student B, who's from San Luis Obispo, attends UCLA and has an acceptance at UCSD?

You're right, nobody said that. When you said the dean should select who is more valued, I thought it implied having met both candidates. Even if the dean simply reviews the files on the two candidates, it still comes down to an arbitrary decision. Why not take into account the fact that Student A, who is from Winchester and attends the University of Richmond, is about 1000 fold more likely to attend than Student B, who's from San Luis Obispo, attends UCLA and has an acceptance at UCSD?

I agree with Carmenita in that there is no way for them to know if you have been accepted to a state school BEFORE May 15th. However, after the 15th, that is a totally different story. And I also remember the Dean saying something about her being more inclined to accept one applicant over another based on in-state acceptance.

Why would they ask whether or not you have an acceptance? I don't see any other reason. If I were in their shoes, I would pick someone who doesn't have an acceptance over someone who does. The ODDS are that they would come to my school.

I also don't think everyone who interviews gets put on the waitlist. I would think that if you are not a good candidate for their school, they would reject you outright. Why risk letting in that psycho student if there is a lot of waitlist movement?

One other point. They tell us that admissions and being taken off the waitlist is ALL based on your numerical score. I believe this is true for the most part. However, I would still send in updates (reprints of recent papers you have published, letters of interest, grades, etc...) I think it does make a difference in case of numerical ties.

OK, I'm all over the place with this post...I'll stop now..

waitlisted too...now the wait begins

waitlisted too...now the wait begins

yep...Im a nut, obsessed, went searching through the last 2 years of forums to see when people were pulled from the waitlist. It seems like the movement started April 4-5 and was slow until the beginning of May, then the movement increase quite a bit around May 15, as expected. I went so far as the track down the GPA and MCAT's of the people who were accepted at the different times, if they filled out an MDApps profile. Oddly, I feel better, even though it doesnt tell me what will happen this year.

itll just make it harder on you to look at stats all the time and try to predict when it will come. it is completely unpredictable. just focus on school or work and check your email daily for an update. keep your head up and keep busy.

Congratulations to everyone who was waitlisted! I was glad to hear that I was not rejected.

Hey Nka1985, did you get a chance to see how many In-State applicants were waitlisted and subsequently accepted??

itll just make it harder on you to look at stats all the time and try to predict when it will come. it is completely unpredictable. just focus on school or work and check your email daily for an update. keep your head up and keep busy.

Ha, thats the problem...I just finished school this week...Let the job hunt begin. I need something to stay busy.

Congratulations to everyone who was waitlisted! I was glad to hear that I was not rejected.

Hey Nka1985, did you get a chance to see how many In-State applicants were waitlisted and subsequently accepted??

Sorry, I didnt pay very close attention to it, because I'm OOS. It did seem like the OOS waitlist moved earlier, and faster, but there were definitely a few IS acceptances, I think one or two posted before May 15th, and several more after.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh that's awesome to hear!!! so you're telling me there's a chance!! YEAH!

Hey all. I haven't posted in a while, but I'm IS and was wait-listed, too. I went through this last year and the last dean (I'm blanking on her name) was really cool about answering my emails and giving me all the info she could about my chances to get off the waitlist (ie. she told me I should go ahead and re-apply). So just fyi, if you haven't heard anything by May 15, definitely send an email. Good luck and much patience to all! :D :luck:

I don't believe just the fact that one has an acceptance and someone else doesn't should be the deciding factor. If I decide when I compare schools that I would like to go to VCU over my current acceptances (which as far as I know would be true as I believe it's easily the better school), then I would obviously have the same interest in VCU as someone w/o an acceptance. Yes, it would be nice to give an acceptance to someone that doesn't have any, but why force me to go to another school...what if my other acceptance was some school I actually had no interest in and was holding onto in case I couldn't get in anywhere?

I think a fair tiebreaker would be to look over both files and see which applicant fits in with the school better...which applicant shows a better commitment to medicine. Even talk to the people who interviewed the applicants. I think geography can come into this as someone who lives closer to Richmond has a greater interest in the school than someone from out West. But I also believe looking over all the ECs, interests, essays, etc. is more fair than if someone has an acceptance or not (which I really really don't believe is something that should be used in considering their own school).

edit: i did instantly fill out that i had other acceptances to 1. be honest and 2. b/c i'd like to hold on to the belief that i am showing continued interest in VCU above my other schools. When I went to the interview, I was asked if I got in anywhere else, and I said that I was BUT I came to this interview b/c I though VCU is a better school....and then I went into my Why VCU (nailed that one!)

I think a fair tiebreaker would be to look over both files and see which applicant fits in with the school better...which applicant shows a better commitment to medicine. Even talk to the people who interviewed the applicants. I think geography can come into this as someone who lives closer to Richmond has a greater interest in the school than someone from out West. But I also believe looking over all the ECs, interests, essays, etc. is more fair than if someone has an acceptance or not (which I really really don't believe is something that should be used in considering their own school).

My point exactly. There are a number of items that can be compared in the event of a tie breaker. Geography and/or previous acceptances shouldn't play a roll in this process, and I don't think it does.

does anyone know if the class is even full?

hey guys, sorry haven't posted in a while i've been really busy with school....i'm IS and was waitlisted as well, in response to a question earlier, there was definitely some sort of cut off for the wait list (one of my friends who was on hold since december got a rejection letter at her home address last week) not sure if this info has been posted already but just thought i'd share....good luck to everyone!

IS,:rolleyes: waitlisted...

I actually read somewhere that they know if you have multiple acceptances sometime during April, they just can't say anything about it until May 15th. So I say DONT LIE, that could really get you into trouble later.

I am not positive, but I think they do have access earlier. I am instate and last year I met with Dr H (old dean of admissions) in april. I asked about my chances and she told me that they were good because there were X # of people from Va who had another acceptance. Not sure if this was from the little questionaire but she sounded pretty confident on the number she quoted me.

Also, e-mails are good to find out where you are. Meeting with Dr WC will be better. You will get more info if you actually set up meeting with her.

From last year I was told: If the score from the Adcom is the same then the first tie breaker is Ugrad GPA and the second is MCAT score. Dr H said that there were rarely ties after that, but in the event of a tie they would 'go back and review the files'

Last year people were convinced that they try and keep demographics the same when replacing someone from the waitlist. I am not sure how true it is but I do know that an OOS is replaced w/ another OOS and not someone instate.

Good luck guys.

Waitlisted with y'all. goodluck.

From last year I was told: If the score from the Adcom is the same then the first tie breaker is Ugrad GPA and the second is MCAT score. Dr H said that there were rarely ties after that, but in the event of a tie they would 'go back and review the files'

YES, i remember this now as well. thx!

does anyone know if the class is even full?

See previous posts from the original 2007 MCV Central thread, but the class is always full at this point- 184 seats. When one drops, another is added. Also, there are 104 in-state seats and 80 out-of-state as mandated by the commonwealth legislature.

Hey all, I too am waitlisted for VCU - OOS. My fingers are crossed for everyone on this thread! :luck: Seems like the best advice during the rest of the wait is to stay busy and remain hopeful :)

i want to get in :-(

I mean only giving people two weeks chance to actually accept? i dunno if thats the normal case (csondering i have never had a med school acceptance) so maybe that might tell us something.

Coming from a Veteran of acceptances :D 2 weeks seems pretty standard... goodluck Nealio

I promise, it won't take me two weeks to decide. 10 seconds max...where do I sign?!? :D

out of curiosity, has anyone not made the waitlist??

it seems like no one was rejected post-interview....

hey DOOM..have u EVER interviewed at VCU?

:) on a more important note...has anyone emailed dean WC where they are or how they stand?

:) on a more important note...has anyone emailed dean WC where they are or how they stand?

I tried...she basically said if I don't get in by May 15th, then contact her and she'll give me an idea of my chances. She said they really wont be able to judge our chances until then.

wow that sounds like pretty good advice..if YOU dont get in by then..? maybe the waitlist will move dramtatically

But, but, but why.... No =( Negative on the interviews at VCU.... they know first hand that im stupid :rolleyes: so I couldn't trick them into accepting me like GW :D Goodluck everyone, even you Nealsonnnnnnn

wow that sounds like pretty good advice..if YOU dont get in by then..? maybe the waitlist will move dramtatically

Believe me, I tried to read all sorts of things into her email, but I don't even know that she looked up my file or anything. I am OOS though, so maybe her response is based on the fact that the OOS waitlist moves a lot.

.."please contact me again after May 15 if you have not received an offer from us by then., I'll have a better idea. "

Don't read into this. It really is the standard e-mail. I was at the very top of the waitlist last year and was told the same thing. At this time she just can't tell. There are too many variable.

Once May 15th comes there will be movement on the waitlist and she will be able to tell how things are going this year.

hey guys, sorry haven't posted in a while i've been really busy with school....i'm IS and was waitlisted as well, in response to a question earlier, there was definitely some sort of cut off for the wait list (one of my friends who was on hold since december got a rejection letter at her home address last week) not sure if this info has been posted already but just thought i'd share....good luck to everyone!

I second the bold info above. I called VCU today and spoke with one of the ladies in the office. She took the time to check if a cut-off was used when forming the alternate (wait) list. Guess now it's all about waiting till May 15th...

Did she give any clues as to how many people are on the alternate list, or how many are IS vs OOS? Thanks for the info!

jus wondering for OOS ppl, what are the average stats of ppl that got accepted versus those of us on the waitlist??

jus wondering for OOS ppl, what are the average stats of ppl that got accepted versus those of us on the waitlist??

I'll start...31 MCAT (9 v, 12 ps, 10 bs) and 3.9 science and overall gpa. EC's are pretty good and I think my LOR's are pretty good too. I was reading over my personal statement and it doesn't seem to impressive.

I'll start...31 MCAT (9 v, 12 ps, 10 bs) and 3.9 science and overall gpa. EC's are pretty good and I think my LOR's are pretty good too. I was reading over my personal statement and it doesn't seem to impressive.

Wow Instigata..those are some AMAZING stats

Instigata, would you go to GW over VCU if you got off the waitlist there?

3.48 overall
3.51 BCPM
29 (11 VR, 08 PS, 10 BS)

Instigata, would you go to GW over VCU if you got off the waitlist there?

I don't know, that would be a tough decision. Sucks that I can't make the choice (stupid GW) ;)

Wow Instigata..those are some AMAZING stats

Thanks nealson. I wouldn't say they're amazing (amazing is the stuff you see on SDN haha) and I only have one acceptance so far..so we'll see what happens. BTW, if I get into LLU or UCSD I'll withdraw my VCU acceptance that same second, so wish me luck :D

Thanks nealson. I wouldn't say they're amazing (amazing is the stuff you see on SDN haha) and I only have one acceptance so far..so we'll see what happens. BTW, if I get into LLU or UCSD I'll withdraw my VCU acceptance that same second, so wish me luck :D

hahah compared to my 3.45 and 3.3 bcpm..i say ur standing PRETTY GOOD...im surpised you haven't gotten any interview calls at any ivy's..but def good luck on the rest of the process...and for the rest of us...GO VCU!