2007 MCV Central (Part II)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been checking every day in hopes that you would get in and I am glad you did!! That's awesome!

Way to go NKA!!!

Thanks everyone! You guys have all been great.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm so happy for you NKA!!! A belated congrats!

As for us still on the waiting list... is there anyone left?

:love:CONGRATULATIONS NKA!!!!!:love:

I am so happy for you! It has been a long wait...but you are waiting no more!

BK

Members don't see this ad :)
Waterbuffalo you are not alone...I'm waiting also

i'm so happy for you NKA!!! A belated congrats!

As for us still on the waiting list... is there anyone left?

:love:CONGRATULATIONS NKA!!!!!:love:

I am so happy for you! It has been a long wait...but you are waiting no more!

BK

Thanks guys! Everyone has been very supportive, which certainly helped keep my spirits up during the wait. I hope there is at least a bit more waitlist movement so that some of you guys can get in.

My acceptance came at the perfect time in so many ways. I had almost given up hope, because Dr. WC seemed unsure there would be any more movement in the waitlist. My committee letter re-interview was the next morning, so I got to cancel that. I had also decided that morning that I would start spending money on secondaries the very next morning. And I was going to begin job-hunting the next day. To top is all off, it was the one-year anniversary of my grandfather's death, someone whose emotional support was invaluble to me as I pursued my dream to become a physician. So yeah, when I thought all hope was lost, at least for this year, Dr. WC lets me know I'm in. Keep up hope everyone. Sure, reapply. Send in secondaries. Do all of it just in case. But realize that sometimes miracles do happen.

I'm still waiting guys....

Although, I have decided to not reapply next yr. I have been waitlisted at mcv too many times and although my profs have been encouraging I have lost hope. After spending the better part of 4 yrs on the waitlist I have come to the conclusion that I can't live another yr like this. The waitlist must be really long or Dr. WC must hate me bc she never has been as encouraging to me as to all of you.

I believe that my only chance is to take the coming yr to improve my scores to better than average. I can then say I did everything possible to become a physician.

Again congrats to nka(sweet that the dean emails you) and everyone else who made it in this yr. You are going to love mcv.

Congrats Nka! I loved the dancing bananas. I think I am now in the same position you were, except for an IS position. Good luck getting everything ready for this fall!

Anyone heard any rumors of an IS spot opening up??

Congrats Nka! I loved the dancing bananas. I think I am now in the same position you were, except for an IS position. Good luck getting everything ready for this fall!

Anyone heard any rumors of an IS spot opening up??

I actually found out about the spot that opened up for me by looking through mdapplicants.com. Somebody had posted they were accepted to another school off the waitlist. Sorry, I haven't heard of any spots open recently though. Honestly, persistence pays off with the Dean. They were getting closer to my name for a while, but the more she knew I wanted in, the more forthcoming she seemed with information.

Good luck!:luck:

KPOD, Blue, BK421 have you guys given up all hope yet?? School is starting up pretty soon. What are your plans now??

I am reapplying this year, but I haven't shown much improvement in my weak areas. I hope that I will get lucky!

I got in a week ago.(yay!!) Dr. Whitehurst-Cook said she had no idea whether or not the list would continue moving. Good luck to everyone. I know how crazy and agonizing this whole thing can be...

Yes, it is the day before orientation and I haven't given up hope! Maybe, just maybe someone will be a no show and my name will be next on the list.

For now, I was accepted about a week ago into a SMP. Although my applications are already submitted, I'm hoping the program will help with the upcoming cycle. I'm trying to look at it as med school in five years instead of four.:oops:

Yes, it is the day before orientation and I haven't given up hope! Maybe, just maybe someone will be a no show and my name will be next on the list.

For now, I was accepted about a week ago into a SMP for next year. Although my applications are already submitted, I'm hoping the program will help with the upcoming cycle. I'm trying to look at it as med school in five years instead of four.:oops:

Good attitude, and good luck!

How long after you completed your file did it take for you to get the following message-
"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

?

And...is this length of time of this update an indicator for your rank?

Best of luck to those above and below.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after you completed your file did it take for you to get the following message-
"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

?

And...is this length of time of this update an indicator for your rank?

Best of luck to those above and below.

I just got an interview invite. I sent my secondary in at the end of July and have had the dreaded hold message for a few months.

I suppose I could start speculating about my overall chances based on how long I was on hold, but I am not going to get wrapped up about that. An interview is an interview.

I hope things start moving for the rest of you guys as well.

I just got an interview invite. I sent my secondary in at the end of July and have had the dreaded hold message for a few months.

I hope things start moving for the rest of you guys as well.

congrats =) are you in state? and which of the hold messages did you have?

congrats =) are you in state? and which of the hold messages did you have?

Thanks for the congrats!

No, I am OOS, however, I attended VCU when I was displaced from NOLA due to Katrina and wrote my essay about that, so maybe the counted that as strong ties.

My message was the "committee wants to consider your file further, unfortunately the committee expresses interest in far more candidates than interview slots" yada yada yada.

I'm interviewing in early January. Do you think this is too late to be accepted. It seems like all everyone is talking about is being wait listed. :confused:

I'm interviewing in early January. Do you think this is too late to be accepted. It seems like all everyone is talking about is being wait listed. :confused:

I interviewed in January a few years back. I was waitlisted but got in the first day of waitlist movement.

They set aside a certain # of seats for those later on. So in January they may give out 50 seats and in march they may give out another 50. While MCV does not ever over book their class (ie they never have more than 184-186 acceptances out at one time) they do save some seats for those who have later interviews.

The class is about 180, but how many acceptances do they end up offering. I know that they interview about 800

They end up offering between 300-400 I think.

So I guess you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of getting accepted once they interview you.

So I guess you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of getting accepted once they interview you.

By strict number of interviews vs # acceptances yes but it really comes down to how your interview goes and what your stats look like. An above average applicant will have a much greater than 50/50 shot.