2007 MCV Central (Part II)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my OOS spot - good luck to all of you waiting!! I hope it goes to one of you!

Thank you, thank you!...lets keep things moving! I was just told I could get in within the next week or two if the list continues moving at this pace....mini hooray! (I can't really celebrate until after I get the acceptance email.) Good luck to my fellow waitlisters, and congrats to those who were already accepted. I hope I'm in Richmond with you guys in August. :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

That is great news nka1985, I'm pulling for you.:luck::luck::luck:

Wow, it's quiet on here today. Anyone hear anything? Anyone drop an acceptance recently, or planning to soon?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to everyone who heard this week!! and good luck to those still waiting :luck:

I'm in the class of 2010 too. I didn't know people from our class still went on here - I haven't been here in a while. I can't believe I'm in the midst of my last summer ever and I'm actually spending time on SDN.

I'm in the class of 2010 too. I didn't know people from our class still went on here - I haven't been here in a while. I can't believe I'm in the midst of my last summer ever and I'm actually spending time on SDN.

well i had some spare time between setting up clinics in india and studying for boards :laugh:

So, what do you guys think? Will there be more offers today? I know there were some last week, but there were also some two weeks ago...

I'm spending too much time in front of the computer. Boredom and the bit of hope Dr. WC gave me are tying me to my desk chair.

What are you guys up to this summer? How are you staying busy? I should be having fun, I guess, since free time will be rare if I get accepted this year, but I've been out of school since early April and I am running out of things to do. I thought about looking at housing in Richmond but I guess I'm afraid of jinxing myself, ha. I mean, I'm not in yet.

Oh well...sorry to bore you with my boredom.:)

Goodluck everyone...:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

So, what do you guys think? Will there be more offers today? I know there were some last week, but there were also some two weeks ago...

I'm spending too much time in front of the computer. Boredom and the bit of hope Dr. WC gave me are tying me to my desk chair.

What are you guys up to this summer? How are you staying busy? I should be having fun, I guess, since free time will be rare if I get accepted this year, but I've been out of school since early April and I am running out of things to do. I thought about looking at housing in Richmond but I guess I'm afraid of jinxing myself, ha. I mean, I'm not in yet.

Oh well...sorry to bore you with my boredom.:)

Goodluck everyone...:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I personally think Dr. WCs predictions are pretty accurate, so I don't think its to early to start looking for housing... I mean I wouldn't sign a lease or anything, but at least you could start figuring out which part of town you want to live in. :luck:

What does it mean if Dr. WC said that they are definately closer to me on the waitlist but it depends on students holding multiple acceptances?

Is this good or bad?

What does it mean if Dr. WC said that they are definately closer to me on the waitlist but it depends on students holding multiple acceptances?

Is this good or bad?

Probably relatively good...but you could check back with her and ask her what I did, which was "If I do get an offer, approxamaitly when would I hear?..." That's how I got the-within 1-2 weeks if the list continues at this pace- answer. You may be in a gray zone of sorts, though. Did she make this comment about people with multiple acceptances recently? Just wondering if people still are holding multiple, or if this was from a couple of weeks ago when she told me something similar. Good luck!:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I was told the same concerning multiple acceptances and it was last wk!

I thought that after May 15th you can hold only one spot. The only thing I can think of is that individuals were made offers and they already have a seat at another school. If they are given two wks to respond the spot is considered taken until they say no.

Still I can't help but think that it may not really be illegal to hold more than one bc the dean did not say offers she said acceptances which makes me think they have deposits at more than one school and have been given permission by one or both to "take their time and think about it." So VCU wants the best class possible with the highest #s and so they are willing to give students time?

I was told the same concerning multiple acceptances and it was last wk!

I thought that after May 15th you can hold only one spot. The only thing I can think of is that individuals were made offers and they already have a seat at another school. If they are given two wks to respond the spot is considered taken until they say no.

Still I can't help but think that it may not really be illegal to hold more than one bc the dean did not say offers she said acceptances which makes me think they have deposits at more than one school and have been given permission by one or both to "take their time and think about it." So VCU wants the best class possible with the highest #s and so they are willing to give students time?

From what I've heard, VCU gives you two weeks from the time they offer an acceptance. I know some schools will call you up and give you a much shorter deadline, though.

i have a feeling dr. WC is implying no hope for me :p everytime i ask her about the list and status.. she just says "its moving, there are poeple holding spots, so i expect itllmove faster when they drop it" : / non of this week prediction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there waitlisters, I feel your pain and know that this is a hard time. I hope that all of you get an acceptance and hope to see you in the fall :D:D:D Move waitlist move :banana::banana::banana:

i have a feeling dr. WC is implying no hope for me :p everytime i ask her about the list and status.. she just says "its moving, there are poeple holding spots, so i expect itllmove faster when they drop it" : / non of this week prediction.

Don't worry I emailed her a few times and got responses like that... this time though she said it will be several weeks to see if they get closer to my rank. I'm interpreting it this way: If the list continues to move quickly, or even more than expected, then I MIGHT see an acceptance when it gets down to the wire, like late July. But seeing as the list will probably slow down towards the end, I'm not holding my breath.

thats a pretty good assessment, along the lines of what im thinking too.

Well, my inbox is empty yet again. Sigh.

Keep up hope everyone. Miracles do happen. And remember, she might be a bit conservative about what she is telling people because last year there was very little waitlist movement. I'm sure she would rather give people too little hope than too much. :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

No email for me yet again. Anyone else get lucky this week?

It's like I'm standing in the room full of people screaming and nobody can hear me.....hahahahaha, a bit melodramatic. Where did everyone go? Don't tell me you all gave up hope!?!

Anybody here anything this week? Anyone accepted/know someone who was accepted/withdrew a spot? Anyone talk to/email Dr. WC recently?

It's like I'm standing in the room full of people screaming and nobody can hear me.....hahahahaha, a bit melodramatic. Where did everyone go? Don't tell me you all gave up hope!?!

Anybody here anything this week? Anyone accepted/know someone who was accepted/withdrew a spot? Anyone talk to/email Dr. WC recently?

Relax.

Few of us will get in from this point on. Chances are now "slim to none." We all need to prepare for the next application cycle or begin making plans for other schools. If we get a suprise email, then that's great. This is the reality for many of us.

Dr. W-C has been out of the office for the majority of this week. I suspect offers won't be coming for at least another week. Oh, and "offers," at this point, probably means one or two. Don't expect to hear if anyone get pulled off. Just hope you're the one.:luck:

altho emaji1n is right in saying at this point chances are relatively slim, you have to remember that you guys still have right up until the day of orientation. So while I think it would be wise to start preparing ur amcas for next app cycle, keep hope alive bc im sure that that there will be acceptances being handed out into the end of july and maybe even beginning of august. good luck to you all :luck:

altho emaji1n is right in saying at this point chances are relatively slim, you have to remember that you guys still have right up until the day of orientation. So while I think it would be wise to start preparing ur amcas for next app cycle, keep hope alive bc im sure that that there will be acceptances being handed out into the end of july and maybe even beginning of august. good luck to you all :luck:

Exactly...there aren't gong to be large batches of acceptances going out each week, but there certainly will still be some. Orientation doesn't start for over a month, and Dr. WC seems to be telling people that there are still spots held by people with multiple acceptances. As the schools force those people to decide and people get off waitlists at other schools, there will be more offers from VCU. So yeah, fill out AMCAS 2008 if you don't have another acceptance, but don't give up hope. I sent my AMCAS 2008 in about 2 weeks ago, and now Dr. WC tells me I may get an acceptance soon.
Thanks emaji1n for letting us know Dr. WC was out of the office a lot last week.
Good luck everyone!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Exactly...there aren't gong to be large batches of acceptances going out each week, but there certainly will still be some. Orientation doesn't start for over a month, and Dr. WC seems to be telling people that there are still spots held by people with multiple acceptances. As the schools force those people to decide and people get off waitlists at other schools, there will be more offers from VCU. So yeah, fill out AMCAS 2008 if you don't have another acceptance, but don't give up hope. I sent my AMCAS 2008 in about 2 weeks ago, and now Dr. WC tells me I may get an acceptance soon.
Thanks emaji1n for letting us know Dr. WC was out of the office a lot last week.
Good luck everyone!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

I bet people aren't holding multiple acceptances, but it just takes a long time for AMCAS to remove the school after you have withdrawn. I know VCU still thought I was holding multiple acceptances until last friday, eventhough I had withdrawn from my other school a couple of weeks ago.

Hello everyone,

I was accepted a few weeks ago to VCU. I am OOS from Texas. I have been a passive reader ever since I've signed up to SDN a few years ago. I've asked questions here and there but mostly I've been reading.

I wasn't going to post anything still but reading all the posts compelled me
to write something. Maybe this would give some people some motivations
to continue to pursue medicine if you didn't happen to get in this time.

Let start from the beginning.

Summer 2004- took the Princeton review course, I didn't do well on the practice tests so I didn't take it August 2004

April 2005- took it and got 20J 6P 5V 9P very depressing
Applied to Texas schools only - 0 interviews

August 2005- took it again and got 22L 9P 6V 7B still very depressed
Applied to Texas and AMCAS - 0 interviews

August 2006- took it again and got 27L 10P 6V 11B verbal got me again
Applied to Texas and AMCAS
Texas - 0 interviews
AMCAS- 4 interviews, 3 rejections, 1 waitlisted and late acceptance from VCU

August 2007- I will be matriculating into VCU.

So don't give up!!! I didn't.

The only advice I would give is:
1.apply early and broadly to get interviews
2.DO WELL on your interviews, this will make you or break you if you're borderline candidate like me.

Kevin

congrats kevin! see you in the fall

Congrats Kevin, see you in the fall. I agree with you totally about sticking with it. I went through a lot of the same things you did and four years after undergrad I finally got in. Although at the time I hated it, I appreciate everything I have had to go through to get here, it made my acceptance that much sweeter. MCV 201:D:D:D

Congrats Kevin!

BTW everyone, the Dr. WC is "looking at the waitlist this afternoon" so while there won't be a ton of offers made at this point, a few might go out today or tomorrow.:luck:

Hello everyone,

Summer 2004- took the Princeton review course, I didn't do well on the practice tests so I didn't take it August 2004

Texas - 0 interviews

Kevin

Why did you choose to take the MCAT in August instead of April, 2006?
Can you name the other (three) schools that offered you interviews? Thanks

Hello everyone,

I was accepted a few weeks ago to VCU. I am OOS from Texas. I have been a passive reader ever since I've signed up to SDN a few years ago. I've asked questions here and there but mostly I've been reading.

I wasn't going to post anything still but reading all the posts compelled me
to write something. Maybe this would give some people some motivations
to continue to pursue medicine if you didn't happen to get in this time.

Let start from the beginning.

Texas - 0 interviews

August 2007- I will be matriculating into VCU.

So don't give up!!! I didn't.

The only advice I would give is:
1.apply early and broadly to get interviews
2.DO WELL on your interviews, this will make you or break you if you're borderline candidate like me.

Kevin

just PMed you

Congrats Kevin!

BTW everyone, the Dr. WC is "looking at the waitlist this afternoon" so while there won't be a ton of offers made at this point, a few might go out today or tomorrow.:luck:

Thanks alot nka. How did you know Dr. WC is looking at the waitlist? I thought she was out of the office. In any case, thanks for giving us hope!

How do you know Dr. WC is looking at the waitlist? I thought she was out of the office.

She mentioned it in an email to me this morning, so she's at the office today at least.

Why did you choose to take the MCAT in August instead of April, 2006?
Can you name the other (three) schools that offered you interviews? Thanks

Because I wasn't ready.

1.University of Kansas
2.Rush
3.University of Iowa Carver

Got off the waitlist on June 6th while I was out of the country! (Lesson learned: don't go to West Africa during times when you need quick, reliable communication.) For both myself and my parents (they've been holding down the fort for me), good communication has only really been possible if I call or use the online forms. It seems like the admin office has been REALLY frazzled as of late, it took quite some time for them to process transcripts, fees, letters, etc. For those trying to get information, I feel like answers are best received from Dr. WC, she's been a real gem throughout the process. Otherwise, try to get someone on the phone! Good luck, I hope you all hear something very, very soon!

I agree with that, triple thumbs up to Dr. WC. Very good about answering her mail.

I agree with that, triple thumbs up to Dr. WC. Very good about answering her mail.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Yeah, she is really helpful. Sometimes it takes her a day or two to get back to me when I've emailed her, but sometimes it's literally minutes...and she is always willing to answer questions.

How is everyone holding up? Hear anything new? Anyone offered a spot/withdrawing a spot recently? Hope you guys are having a good summer.:luck:

Hey gang.

I never posted here before, but thought I'd finally write something to encourage those of you who are still waiting for a decision from VCU.

I was accepted from the waitlist today via email. I emailed Dr. WC yesterday to ask for a status update. She replied this morning with "we are getting very close to your rank, please monitor your emails over the next week." By 600 PM EST, I received an email offering me an OOS spot.

Keep your fingers crossed, and I hope you guys hear good news soon too! :D

Hey gang.

I never posted here before, but thought I'd finally write something to encourage those of you who are still waiting for a decision from VCU.

I was accepted from the waitlist today via email. I emailed Dr. WC yesterday to ask for a status update. She replied this morning with "we are getting very close to your rank, please monitor your emails over the next week." By 600 PM EST, I received an email offering me an OOS spot.

Keep your fingers crossed, and I hope you guys hear good news soon too! :D

Congrats! She told me something very similar on Monday-said I should get an acceptance within the next week or so, so I'll be there in August too most likely....

..and BTW everyone, somebody else posted in the waitlist movement thread that they were offered an OOS spot yesterday. They also said that they would probably turn it down on their mdapplicants page. Good luck all!:luck:

Congrats squashee! :clap:

I'm glad the OOS list is moving - nka hopefully you hear something soon

Now, we need to get the IS list moving as well so I can join you all!!!

man i really wish i was on the OOS list instead of the IS list....:cool:

I feel your pain. I wonder if there is any other public medical school in the United States that takes a higher % of OOS :( It appears those state schools still get funding with declaring 99% IS.

I also got in last night at 6:01 pm. I had emailed Dr. W-C earlier and she told me they were getting close to my rank.

Good luck everyone still waiting. After going through this for the second time, I know how you feel....

Congrats bearman!

O.K. everyone that is waiting in-state, let's give the IS list a big push :smuggrin: - - -

Ready...

Set...

M-O-V-E

I also got in last night at 6:01 pm. I had emailed Dr. W-C earlier and she told me they were getting close to my rank.

Good luck everyone still waiting. After going through this for the second time, I know how you feel....

Congrats bearman! I'll be seeing you in August.

I feel your pain. I wonder if there is any other public medical school in the United States that takes a higher % of OOS :( It appears those state schools still get funding with declaring 99% IS.

currently vcu has around 100 IS, 80 OOS. it sucks that as a state school they dont take more of their own residents but then again theyve gotta find some way to make the $$$ and OOS tution dollars are an easy way to do it. even private schools like Rush accept more IS students since the govt entices them with aid money for every resident they accept.

Does anyone know....How much will the admissions office even be open this week, since there is a holiday right in the middle? I don't really want to religiously check my email just after 6pm ET if they're closed half the week.
G'luck all, whether with the VCU waitlist or another school's list...wherever your heart desires. :):luck:

For me, it really doesn't matter how much they are open this week. I feel compelled to check my e-mail and status page daily (holidays and weekends included). Who knows, maybe I'll hit the jackpot and find an acceptance even though I think no one is working. :laugh: I'm not sure what to call it wishful thinking, dreaming, praying, obsessing ... probably all of the above.

For me, it really doesn't matter how much they are open this week. I feel compelled to check my e-mail and status page daily (holidays and weekends included). Who knows, maybe I'll hit the jackpot and find an acceptance even though I think no one is working. :laugh: I'm not sure what to call it wishful thinking, dreaming, praying, obsessing ... probably all of the above.

:laugh: Ha...actually I do the same. Not like they'll email us on a Sunday, but I check anyway. I've been trying to slowly cut back on the email checking though, in order to save my sanity and stop driving other people nuts.

Hang in there guys - I got in off the waitlist last year and I know of many people that were in the same boat. There was even someone who got in a few days before school started - I had already moved into my apartment in Richmond when that person was accepted. It can be crazy but it makes it more exciting in the long run. Also, don't feel like you are any different if you do get in off the waitlist....when I tell people that I got in off the waitlist, some people in med school give me a look like, "why would you tell anyone that you got in off the waitlist?" Like us waitlisters are any less qualified - give me a break.

Hang in there guys - I got in off the waitlist last year and I know of many people that were in the same boat. There was even someone who got in a few days before school started - I had already moved into my apartment in Richmond when that person was accepted. It can be crazy but it makes it more exciting in the long run. Also, don't feel like you are any different if you do get in off the waitlist....when I tell people that I got in off the waitlist, some people in med school give me a look like, "why would you tell anyone that you got in off the waitlist?" Like us waitlisters are any less qualified - give me a break.

:laugh: i love telling me people i got in 2 wks before school started...its how i introduce myself