2007 NC Med Schools Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't it be great if the admissions line at UNC was actually some secret radio call-in-and-win setup? The 4094th caller "checking in" gets automatic admission and a free hoagie from the local subshop.

Haha...i think this is the point where everyone is getting delirious.

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't it be great if the admissions line at UNC was actually some secret radio call-in-and-win setup? The 4094th caller "checking in" gets automatic admission and a free hoagie from the local subshop.

I think it is more likely the 4094th caller gets an "accidental" application file delete from Lisa! Hopefully, the hoagie is still included.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, called UNC. I'm most likely rejected. Decisions have been made. There are no acceptances going out. Waitlist has been determined. My name wasn't on the waitlist, so Lisa told me that I am most likely unsuccessful. Dr. Hoole has to okay everything first, then the letters will be sent out next week. so I guess you can call to see if you're waitlisted.

I called today as well. I was told i'm in "the last group", and they haven't met on my app. yet - it'll probably be the end of next week before they do.

seriously, this is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Alright, called UNC. I'm most likely rejected. Decisions have been made. There are no acceptances going out. Waitlist has been determined. My name wasn't on the waitlist, so Lisa told me that I am most likely unsuccessful. Dr. Hoole has to okay everything first, then the letters will be sent out next week. so I guess you can call to see if you're waitlisted.

uncgrad, that's a bummer, i'm really sorry to hear that. Thanks for the update.

I interviewed 11/6, called today and I'm waitlisted. Lisa said they can't tell us the rank yet. Letters go out next week.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, the waitlist from years past: ~45 people divided into 3 groups of 15. The waitlist has a bit of movement but not much. And they overaccept by 20 right away. So bascially we're all doomed to insignificance. I'm going back to highschool.

I just got off the phone with my pre-med adviser at my school and she said that there's quite a bit of movement on the UNC Wait-List...oh btw, I got waitlisted.

I was told that there was likely close to 90 people on the wait list when the subcommittees first submitted their choices for wait list.

Also, the only ranking that matters is Dr. Hoole's. He makes the final decisions on all the wait list movements.

As for "over-accepting" I think people are misunderstanding the numbers from US World News. The total number of accepted people is not who they accepted right off the bat, but rather the total number over the course of the process. Those extra people most likely reflect the people who are pulled off the wait list. It is very unlikely that UNC would ever over-accept its instate class. Too few people turn town an acceptance here.

One last piece of news. For those planning on reapplying last year, there is a good chance that UNC is going to increase the class size (maybe as many as 50 people) because they hope to open a clinical campus in Charlotte.

Good luck to everyone.

Alright, UNC's admissions has finally been true to their word. Or maybe they just got sick of our calls. At any rate, an unfortunate rejection letter will hit my mailbox in the next few weeks. It always stinks to be rejected, but closure is nice. Best of luck to everyone waiting.

waitlisted OOS.
lisa was very nice.
disappointing.
i got into my first choice, so i'm fine with it, though.

I guess today has been a mixture of good news and bad news... news nonetheless...

Kudos to all of you who were brave enough to check your status over the phone. It is difficult to hear bad news especially since we have all been waiting for so long. Best of luck in whatever decision you decide to make, and keep the rest of us in your thoughts and prayers... a little more waiting to go. :(

JBOB330 is correct! The only list that matters is Dean Hoole's.

So, we'll see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the pool of folks that is in the last committee that has yet to submit. This means another week for me. At least the ball is rolling. I'm sorry for the bad news and for those WL'rs who have to agonize for more time.

In any case...it's peanut butter jelly time.

:banana:

Well, no decision on my application yet. Apparently the subcommittee that deals with my app doesn't meet until next Thursday night. I spoke breifly with Eric, and then with Mrs. Alston. It's sad but true: no acceptances left--the class is full. :( When I asked her how many people get on the waitlist, she told me she didn't know, that people are being INVITED to be on the waitlist, and that to actually be ON it, you have to respond with a yes. :confused:

I suppose they rank the WL once people submit their responses.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you who have found out about being waitlisted and I'm so sorry to hear about the rejections. Man, it sucks to be rejected, and believe me, I know!

That's good news about the class size increasing next year, though :)

Best of luck to everyone. :luck: I think it's finally true about next week being the LAST week of this. Thank goodness!! :oops:

It took me all day but I finally got up the nerve to call: waitlist.
I was expecting a rejection so I am pretty relieved.
Sorry it hasn't been a great day for everyone and best of luck to everyone waiting for news.

Btw has there been any news from ECU lately?

As of today my daughter's not heard anything from ECU (interviewed in Dec) Waitlisted today at UNC.
I feel for all of you - this is very unsettling.

Btw has there been any news from ECU lately?

Thanks. I figured there wouldn't be much noise from ECU, but I thought I'd ask.

ECU is probably about done interviewing. Final decisions should be coming out soon. There will probably be quite a bit of waitlist movement after the 15th, so others who are waiting will hopefully hear some good news then.

Good luck everyone.

G

I just came from the mailbox--the thin letter from ecu arrived today. :(

Best of luck to all those waitlisted at UNC! Stay positive! As for ECU, I keep telling myself that "no news is good news"!

I just came from the mailbox--the thin letter from ecu arrived today. :(
I'm sorry to hear that. But, you got waitlisted at UNC, right? That's pretty good news. And, it's Friday, so you should go out and have some fun:)

I'm sorry to hear that. But, you got waitlisted at UNC, right? That's pretty good news. And, it's Friday, so you should go out and have some fun:)

Thanks for pick me up!
UNC is my first choice but I did like ECU too. It's a great school.
I hope you hear good news from ECU soon!:luck:

Well, no decision on my application yet. Apparently the subcommittee that deals with my app doesn't meet until next Thursday night. I spoke breifly with Eric, and then with Mrs. Alston. It's sad but true: no acceptances left--the class is full. :(

wait a minute, so all of us in the last app. pool dont even have a chance?? how is that fair?? God **************** this process makes me want to f**** scream.

wait a minute, so all of us in the last app. pool dont even have a chance??

Wasn't this batch just notified today at UNC also just rejections and waitlists? I was wondering how that could be - wasn't the story just recently that only 60% of the class was full? where'd they get the other 40% from? And I also wonder why some people know what tier their on and others don't - I read below tier placement will change but how come some were told what tier and some people asked but were told they couldn't release that info?
Just thinking outloud here - these questions really don't need answering.

thin letter from ecu dated april 17th.

caca poopoo.

while maintaining my best form, i was quite put out during the application/interview process by the fact that i was blatantly treated as a quasi out-of-stater since i'm from western nc (i pay the same state taxes) and the "please list the other schools you applied to" questions on both the secondary and in my interviews were bang out of order.

on the waitlist for unc...gaaaa!

So i joined the rejected pool for UNC...trying to decide whether i should apply again even though my application will not really be any better (my science GPA is still a 3.0 (3.8 in the last 4 years)- and that's only based on a handful of courses). even if i take courses this summer... is it worth it? does anyone know how easy it is to transfer medical schools after the first year? i have an offer somewhere else and i am thinking things over.

I interviewed last week and they told us there were 20 spaces left. They said we would hear something in three-four weeks... that they were waiting til all interviews were finished (tomorrow) before they made final decisions on everyone, and if we haven't heard by May 15 we should call. From what they said, everyone is still under consideration and no news is still good news. :luck:

so I got the rejection answer over the phone too....big bummer, especially since i love the md/mph program and Chapel Hill...... :(

question though, for those rejected/waitlisted at UNC that are reapplying: are you just applying earlier this next year? I applied so late (AMCAS verified in mid November), but my application hasn't changed much, besides some awards and summer stuff, so i don't know if i should wait one whole year from now to reapply or not??!?!?!?

and those of you on the waitlist, I personally know of 5, maybe 6 people turning UNC down for big name/big city schools....i'd rather be waitlisted than to be rejected.

Waitlisted. I'm waitlisted at every school I interviewed at, including Wake. So freakin frustrating...:mad:

Anyone have any idea how long the waitlist is this year, when we can find out what tier we are on, and how much it typically moves at UNC?

so, im not the only one agonizing over unc decision here.
i interviewed early and never heard back from them. i was finally told that i am in the last batch to be decided, aka waitlisted, when i called a few days ago. darn, unc, if only that i had the tour before my interview, i'd be so much more serious about it. i think i'm still gonna hold out for it though. :thumbdown:

I have a friend in the Navy, who says their unoffical slogan on the ship is "Hurry up and Wait!!" ....somehow that seems all too fitting right now, huh?!? :rolleyes:

good luck to those waiting or WLed at UNC and to those waiting to hear back from ECU or Wake or even Duke. hopefully it's all over relatively soon-- best of luck guys! :luck:

so, im not the only one agonizing over unc decision here.
i interviewed early and never heard back from them. i was finally told that i am in the last batch to be decided, aka waitlisted, when i called a few days ago. darn, unc, if only that i had the tour before my interview, i'd be so much more serious about it. i think i'm still gonna hold out for it though. :thumbdown:

Hey, you're getting my hopes up. . .what do you mean by "last batch to be decided, aka waitlist"? Personally, I'm thinking it means they still need to decide between WL and rejection. Although, I'd much much rather have it your way. . .

To the person that said only 60% of the class was full some short time ago: I think there is a consensus that the class was full in March.

I dunno. Pleeeeease UNC, pleeeeease let me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And good luck to everyone else, too. I know you all deserve it. :luck:

I was just at ECU yesterday. Like a previous post, Sheila said the class was 60% full.

quote]

Guys, this was the original and the 60% thing was for ECU. Someone just misread it and they commented on it.

yes UNCs class is full, just need people to decline/defer to get off of the waitlist....(I now know 5 people turning UNC down, 1 defer)

that last committee is waiting to send a list of wl/reject to dr. hoole, who then sorts out the list, blah blah blah

i wish i knew when ECU stopped interviewing at the ridiculously slow rate of 4 per day.....

I interviewed last week and they told us there were 20 spaces left. They said we would hear something in three-four weeks... that they were waiting til all interviews were finished (tomorrow) before they made final decisions on everyone, and if we haven't heard by May 15 we should call. From what they said, everyone is still under consideration and no news is still good news. :luck:

Above post from yesterday indicates ECU interviews are done today - if I am understanding that right.

so i called today (they told me last week decisions wouldn't be in till this week) and I got waitlisted from UNC... anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? is there any way to get second interviews with dr. hoole?

also i got rejected from ECU on Friday. It's okay, UNC is where I really want to go.

Above post from yesterday indicates ECU interviews are done today - if I am understanding that right.

Yes, ECU said their last interviews were today, so now we're just waiting for the committee to meet and make their decisions on everyone.

I am looking into whether to apply for the BOG Medical Scholarship/Loan. The money certainly looks great; however, the application material states that there is a "4 year NC service commitment within 7 years of graduation". I understand the reasoning behind the service commitment back to the state, but does this, in effect, mean that the scholarship is only for someone who is going into an area of medicine that requires only 3 years of residency? If your residency is in excess of three years in duration, then I do not see how the service provision could be met within 7 years. Thanks for any clarification you might be able to provide.

Yes, your residency can only be 3 years, meaning EM, internal med, peds, etc. The point of the scholarship is to promote primary care fields in NC.

I got the bad news today. If you're in the last pool, check admissions because they're giving out some of the final decisions. Good luck folks. I'm banking on the Wake waiting list.

I got the bad news today. If you're in the last pool, check admissions because they're giving out some of the final decisions. Good luck folks. I'm banking on the Wake waiting list.

sorry to hear that buddy.

Fluffe, I know I'm on the WL cuz the lady kind told me that my waitlist letter is to be sent out this week by hoole. now, im having my fingers crossed for a scholarship from my other schools, so i don't have to take the torture from unc anymore. love hurts!
:luck:

So, what happens if May 15th comes around and I am on a waitlist for one school and accepted at another school. Can I keep both in hopes that I will get into the one i was waitlisted at?

So, what happens if May 15th comes around and I am on a waitlist for one school and accepted at another school. Can I keep both in hopes that I will get into the one i was waitlisted at?

Absolutely.

Well, I just called. RFUMS, here I come. Last-batch people, decisions are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.