2007 Regional Match Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From NRMP:

Emergency Medicine:
Western: 149 offered / 3 unfilled
Central: 347 / 3
Southern: 296 / 0
Northeastern: 496 / 0
Total: 1288 / 6

EM/FM: (this is Christiana's new program, right? I'm surprised it didn't fill)
Northeastern: 2 offered / 2 unfilled

To see the full report, log into NRMP, and click on "My Reports." I hope everyone ends up where they want to be on Thursday!

Members don't see this ad.

From NRMP:

Emergency Medicine:

To see the full report, log into NRMP, and click on "My Reports." I hope everyone ends up where they want to be on Thursday!

Wow. All the New York programs filled! I think that hasn't happened for a few years!!!

is it a match violation to post the unfilled programs?

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think that list above is a match violation. I dont' remember whehter the list of unfilled programs is a violation, but I would say it's common courtesy NOT to release it, and give those who entered the NRMP first crack at things rather than spreading the wealth to those who didn't.

The above list is just the PGY1 positions. Here are the totals:

Emergency Medicine:
PGY1

PGY2
Western: 44 offered / 0 unfilled
Central: 15 / 0
Southern: 16 / 1
Northeastern: 22 / 0
Total: 97 / 1

Grand Total 1385 / 7
Or a 99.49% fill rate.

Yeah, Christiana was the only one to start the EM/FM thing.

How many spots were available in EM for the scramble in previous years? I thought there was only 12 last year but could be wrong. Just curious.

More statistics:

(All from this document: http://www.nrmp.org/2006advdata.pdf )

Emergency Medicine

2002 PGY1 :oops:ffer 1073/filled 1052; PGY2 138/134; Scramblespots 25;%fill 96.0
2003 1114 / 1073 ; 137 / 130; 48; 96.1%
2004 1151 / 1129 ; 144 / 142; 24; 98.1%
2005 1188 / 1164 ; 144 / 144; 24; 98.2%
2006 1251 / 1218 ; 115 / 115; 33; 97.6%

Any math errors are my own.

Sorry for the lies.......guess EM was way more competative this year.

Yeah, Christiana was the only one to start the EM/FM thing.

They didn't give me an interview for the combined program. :p I would have really been interested. Doesn't matter. Today is a good day for me anyway!

Sweet Tea, I am really sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best grabbing one of the 6 available spots or a prelim close to where your SO is ending up. Good luck girl!

Members don't see this ad :)
Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine Match statistics:

Region: Offered/Unfilled
Western: 2/0
Central: 6/1
Southern: 4/1
Northeastern: 13/0
Nationwide: 25/2

Given the paucity of programs, it's easy to narrow down the options as to who didn't fill, one Southern (either East Carolina or LSU-New Orleans) and one Central (either University of Illinois-Chicago, Hennepin County, or Henry Ford).

Year: Scramblespots; %fill
2002: 25; 96.0%
2003: 48; 96.1%
2004: 24; 98.1%
2005: 24; 98.2%
2006: 33; 97.6%
2007: 6; 99.5%

This is an unbelievable year...good luck to everyone tomorrow!

does that mean there is only 6 spots open or 6 who didn't get a spot?

So when can we see how many people are fighting for those precious 6 spots? What are their odds?

Full match statistics will be available later in the year. You won't know how many students are unmatched until then.

What about how many students applied to an EM program this year? Do we get those numbers?

These numbers are insane.

What about how many students applied to an EM program this year? Do we get those numbers?

I don't think those numbers are ever released.

I don't think those numbers are ever released.

correct, but we do eventually see total number of students who ranked at least one EM program

Attached are the 2006 match data, and unfilled positions, pre-scramble, from 2005 and 2006, all from a google search.

Attachments

• UnfilledProgNRMP2005.pdf
    218.8 KB · Views: 213
  • NRMPUnfilled2006.pdf
    174.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 2006advdata.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 192
That gives the total number of ranks.

Ok I will look it up in my Match books...

I just figured that we really can't officially say if it's been a much more competitive year this year unless we compare the total number of people applying for EM this year and last.

Applications were up this year from the previous 3 years...

Applications were up this year from the previous 3 years...

THAT'S my question - where's the proof? I know there's alot of hearsay from the programs but it could be that it's just that we all applied to more programs than actual more applicants. See?

THAT'S my question - where's the proof? I know there's alot of hearsay from the programs but it could be that it's just that we all applied to more programs than actual more applicants. See?

I don't know, I think there is without a doubt that applications were up this year. There might not be any proof, but I think it's implied. All 17 programs I interviewed at said applications were up by around 100.

Also, based on many discussions with other interviewees, the number of people applying into EM from many med schools increased by a good amount. At mine, 6 matched last year, this year there were about 12 that applied.

This is just anecdotal, of course, but have you noticed how many people are viewing the EM forum versus all other forums? I've noticed this over the last few months. If you don't believe me, look right now! I think apps. were way up this year.

My class had at least 14 applicants this year for EM (up from 5 last year)

Another class with an increase in applicants.

It will be interesting to see what the numbers end up being.

same with my class... this year there are 8 (including 1 military match), up from 5 last year... not a huge increase, but our school traditionally only has 3-4 EM people per year... damn it, everyone's starting to catch on that EM is the best :D

Our class had about the same I think (5) but next year's class, my class, is going to have 15 or so. Every other week someone new tells me they are going into EM. It's like an epidemic! It also seems like a catch all at my school, like if people aren't quite sure what they want to go into, they pick EM. Makes me nervous about next year!

This is just anecdotal, of course, but have you noticed how many people are viewing the EM forum versus all other forums? I've noticed this over the last few months. If you don't believe me, look right now! I think apps. were way up this year.

you're right, it's not even close. currently 83 here, next closest is OB/GYN with 20.

This is not a violation.

Go ahead and share with understanding that the programs that have an unmatched spot does not mean they are a less desirable program.

Oftentimes a program has an unmatched spot because of the applicant pool they selected to interview or the process they went through to rank.

Some programs do NOT rank all those that were interviewed.
Actually one PD (another specialty) told me that he would rather select from the scramble applicant pool than rank certain individuals that didn't quite fit what they were looking for.

Or say a newer program approved for a larger class interviewed applicants who were seeking more established programs.

So there are many reasons.

When you see the unmatched list, do not assume that program is undesirable or has problems with it. There always seems to be some highly sought program going unmatched each year in several specialties.

But when scrambling, you should ask the program why they think they went unmatched.

I agree with the above and would like to add that as the unmatched spots get filled the list gets updated every hour (or so). So as the unmatched list fills it would be okay to post the originally unfilled but now filled programs. That way the people registered for the match still get their best chances at the spots before it's public knowledge.

Here is my question... Even if applications are up, do programs interview more people? It seems like it would be more competitive to get interviews, but not to match specifically

Here is my question... Even if applications are up, do programs interview more people? It seems like it would be more competitive to get interviews, but not to match specifically

I don't think so, no programs I visited mentioned they are interviewing more this year, just that applications were up, and the applicant pool was improved. So many of them mentioned that getting an interview was more competitive this year.

Again...these numbers are just plain nuts. I knew it was more competitive this year. I'm terrified about Thursday now as I truly believe I can be anywhere on my list...and I included a few places on my list that I may not be happy at, but that I would rather match than not.

I don't think so, no programs I visited mentioned they are interviewing more this year, just that applications were up, and the applicant pool was improved. So many of them mentioned that getting an interview was more competitive this year.

I don't think the match stats represent the five new programs that started this year, all of which will have full intern classes done outside the match.

I don't think the match stats represent the five new programs that started this year, all of which will have full intern classes done outside the match.

Which ones are these?
Oh, and a thought for those scrambling - wasn't there a program in Corpus Christie, TX that was taking an intern class outside the match this year?

Which ones are these?
Oh, and a thought for those scrambling - wasn't there a program in Corpus Christie, TX that was taking an intern class outside the match this year?

They've got to answer their phones first.

Again...these numbers are just plain nuts. I knew it was more competitive this year. I'm terrified about Thursday now as I truly believe I can be anywhere on my list...and I included a few places on my list that I may not be happy at, but that I would rather match than not.

I am with you on this one! :scared:

Which ones are these?

They filled in December, outside of the match. Or so they said when I called them interested.

Good luck to all those in the scramble.