## 2008-2009 Application Season ## Post AACOMAS questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This year was not a successful one in terms of med school, but here's what i'm doing to improve for 09

1. apply early
  2. pass orgo 2 BEFORE applying
  3. joined American Diabetes Association
  4. send back more than 2 secondaries lol
My question is should i basically update my personal statement to add in the unsuccessful app cycle? I mean should I add in the mistakes i made or just basically say I was not prepared and going through the process has helped me understand it and makes me more determined?

Members don't see this ad.

This year was not a successful one in terms of med school, but here's what i'm doing to improve for 09

1. apply early
  2. pass orgo 2 BEFORE applying
  3. joined American Diabetes Association
  4. send back more than 2 secondaries lol
My question is should i basically update my personal statement to add in the unsuccessful app cycle? I mean should I add in the mistakes i made or just basically say I was not prepared and going through the process has helped me understand it and makes me more determined?

Perhaps get some shadowing? and a DO letter?:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay:

so how does AACOMAS calculate the BCPM? Is it centralized based on schools? I have a low SCI GPA as it is, and actually my two MATH classes (Calculus + Statistics) actually raise my average and I hope they are included. Can anyone confirm this?

Also - I am taking a class this last semester listed as CAPS 402 (Caps meaning Capstone, something every senior has to take) but it's title is CAPSTONE: RESEARCH IN BIOLOGY.

Here is the breakdown, I have done research for the last 1.5 years. Last semester I got an A in BIOL 399 which is on my transcript and was my "independent research class," it is the same thing this semester, as in I had to AUDIT BIOL 399 (and be doing research) in order to take the CAPS class. The CAPS class just meets once a week and we do additional science things, but it is EXACTLY the same as BIOL 399, just listed differently. I really really really need to this to count towards my BCPM because it is/will be an A. The problem is, I am worried that AACOMAS will see that it is not listed as CHEM/BIOL/PHYS and immediately disregard it and not factor into my SCI GPA. Has anyone else had these problems? I guess this is the type of thing when I start to fill out my application, and say which SCI classes I took, they check and verify this.

Can anyone give me a similiar experience/example of this, because I will fight to the death with the committee about this; mainly because it is BIOL 399 indepedent research just with a fancy title.

I appreciate the time..

Also -
AACOMAS is opening May 10th, but rumors I hear, and the email I recieved, anyone else can confirm this? Thanks.

Okay:

so how does AACOMAS calculate the BCPM? Is it centralized based on schools? I have a low SCI GPA as it is, and actually my two MATH classes (Calculus + Statistics) actually raise my average and I hope they are included. Can anyone confirm this?

Also - I am taking a class this last semester listed as CAPS 402 (Caps meaning Capstone, something every senior has to take) but it's title is CAPSTONE: RESEARCH IN BIOLOGY.

Here is the breakdown, I have done research for the last 1.5 years. Last semester I got an A in BIOL 399 which is on my transcript and was my "independent research class," it is the same thing this semester, as in I had to AUDIT BIOL 399 (and be doing research) in order to take the CAPS class. The CAPS class just meets once a week and we do additional science things, but it is EXACTLY the same as BIOL 399, just listed differently. I really really really need to this to count towards my BCPM because it is/will be an A. The problem is, I am worried that AACOMAS will see that it is not listed as CHEM/BIOL/PHYS and immediately disregard it and not factor into my SCI GPA. Has anyone else had these problems? I guess this is the type of thing when I start to fill out my application, and say which SCI classes I took, they check and verify this.

Can anyone give me a similiar experience/example of this, because I will fight to the death with the committee about this; mainly because it is BIOL 399 indepedent research just with a fancy title.

I appreciate the time..

Also - AACOMAS is opening May 10th, but rumors I hear, and the email I recieved, anyone else can confirm this? Thanks.

In AACOMAS, the science GPA (BCP) does not include math, sorry.

You get to designate which classes you think are science when you fill out your application. Go ahead and list the classes in question as science and worst comes to worst, when AACOMAS verifies your application they may change some of your designations if they are not correct. You can try and fight them "to the death", but don't expect to get too far. AACOMAS also provides a list of which classes count as science and non-science, so it's kind of set in stone already.

Good Luck :luck:

Thanks.

My only rational is that BIOL 399 will count towards my BCP because it is IN FACT, Biology research, and was listed as such. And this CAPS 402 is the SAME EXACT thing, yet listed differently, and it even says CAPSTONE: Research in Biology.

I will go to the highest power in all of the land if they try to deny me that A (I desperately need it).

Thanks.

My only rational is that BIOL 399 will count towards my BCP because it is IN FACT, Biology research, and was listed as such. And this CAPS 402 is the SAME EXACT thing, yet listed differently, and it even says CAPSTONE: Research in Biology.

I will go to the highest power in all of the land if they try to deny me that A (I desperately need it).

It clearly sounds like Biology to me as well and even has the word "biology" in the title. I don't think it will be a problem. :thumbup:

I'm taking a few science courses this coming summer before I apply (to get my sGPA above 3.0 to avoid screening at places like DMU); however, the class does not end until mid-August and I was wondering if sending off my primary application until then was a bad idea (too late?).

Thanks!

I'm taking a few science courses this coming summer before I apply (to get my sGPA above 3.0 to avoid screening at places like DMU); however, the class does not end until mid-August and I was wondering if sending off my primary application until then was a bad idea (too late?).

Thanks!

What is your MCAT?

current non science GPA?

current science GPA?

Thanks!

I don't think it's late (especially with a good reason as yours), but just know that it takes several weeks for AACOMAS to verify your applications. I would suggest you get most of your application done though. Fill out the AACOMAS application as best as you can because that alone will take several hours. Gather all your letters of rec or have your letter writers on standby to send. Once you grades are in, send your transcripts to AACOMAS ASAP. Send in your MCAT scores to AACOMAS as soon as you begin an AACOMAS application (it doesn't need to be complete).

Most DO schools won't look at your file until its complete...that meaning secondary applications have to be sent in as well, before they begin review. So, it's a good idea to also begin your secondaries. A lot of them have similar essay questions year to year. You can do a search and find them. They mostly deal with why DO, what makes you a good candidate to be a DO, why their particular school. I think many students who applied had a "stock answer" where they then just tweaked it to suite each school. Give yourself a deadline of say 48 hour turn around time. Do take note that once you submit your AACOMAS app, secondary application will start flooding your email (that depending on how many schools you apply). Have letter of rec sent as soon as you get secondaries. Also, call the schools periodically to check your application status and to make sure they have everything.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks for the quick response!

Current non-science - 3.3-3.4 or so, science is currently 2.9
MCAT was taken on April 5th (was scoring 27 on practice tests)

Thanks for the quick response!

Current non-science - 3.3-3.4 or so, science is currently 2.9
MCAT was taken on April 5th (was scoring 27 on practice tests)

Looking at your MDApps, you have great ECs. As well, you've shadowed a DO. I don't know if one of your letter writers is DO, but if he/she is one, it'll make a big impact. I hoped you rocked the MCAT, but 27 should get you interviews.

Do well on your summer courses, and you'll be on your way!

The DO is definitely writing me a LOR. He's also Chief of Med. @ his hospital (I hope that helps.)

I also should have a LOR at an Osteopathic Association that I volunteer at as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a burning Q for you experts out there. My chem prof wrote me a great LOR 2 years ago. I am re-applying summer 2008 and he has since retired (June 2007, he is like 83ys old) from the University. If he writes me a letter on his old letterhead will that be ok? Will med schools call up my school and get freaked out he is no longer teaching. Do schools care if he is only a prof. emeritus now? I have a great relationship with this guy and he wrote a spectacular letter. thanks for the help.

i am sure you will be consider early still... i sent it in in october and have everything processed in november, got my interviews in december and got in during the new year~everything went quick and smooth..by the time i got accepted the class was half empty

especially you have good ECs and a DO LOR (according to other posts)...i've never shadow a DO and only got 1 research and 1 doc shadoing experience

good luck

Maybe a little later than you'd like, but still early enough. I submitted mine last August.

Make sure you get those secondaries out as quickly as you receive them.

I think that you'll be fine. Just have everything else ready to be sent, like your LORs and even start preparing some responses for the secondary essays (You can find the old questions on here for most schools, next years will probably be similar if not exactly the same)

Most likely, I'll also be sending out my primary application at the end of summer. I figured it'd be better to wait a little longer and have more volunteer and shadowing experience listed on the application.

The AACOMAS website said the application service is open on Wednesday, May 1 2008 at 9:30 a.m. Considering 5/1 is a Thursday I hope this isn't a rude prank. Anywho, its getting my nerves going. My time is here!

It was 4500 last cycle. I suppose they could have changed it, but 3000 is a really short personal statement.

Nice!!

Oh, and I think TT is right about the PS length

I didn't think you could usually submit primaries until June??

JaggerPlate are you going to be applying this year?

the time has come!!

AMCAS isnt going to be available for at least another two weeks. one more reason why DOs are cooler.

Good luck everyone!!! I'm so friggin glad I dont have to worry about that anymore

Good luck everyone!!! I'm so friggin glad I dont have to worry about that anymore

Amen. :thumbup:.

Good luck to those applying and if you need help on the PS take a look at the Official List of Readers - they can be super helpful!!!

Holy Cow. Its that time already ? ! It seems like last week that I filled out my app. I still got my PS on my zip drive. :eek: Good luck everyone ! :luck:

Wow, in the past, AACOMAS has pushed it to June 2 to open. Could they be on schedule this year?

Regardless, best of luck! :thumbup:

So it really went live today. Crazy. I remember filling my app and grades out on the first day last year. If you notice, AACOMAS is powered by interfolio now, which is pretty interesting. The site also looks a lot better than last years.

When you click on the transcript request form and it asks for Student ID, do they mean the student ID from that school or your AACOMAS ID number?

I didnt realize it, but has Interfolio always been linking with AACOMAS?

When you click on the transcript request form and it asks for Student ID, do they mean the student ID from that school or your AACOMAS ID number?

i just used my interfolio name and password to try logging in and it worked so ive been looking around a bit. It looks like applicants no longer have to spend 5 hours listing every detail about every class you ever took, and instead interfolio orders a transcript for AACOMAS that is directly linked to your file from the beginning. Let me tell you, that is super nice! I wish they had this feature last year when I applied. This will save a lot of time and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The Student ID question would be your undergrad student ID number. Have fun filling it out, looks like its not so bad anymore.

It looks like applicants no longer have to spend 5 hours listing every detail about every class you ever took, and instead interfolio orders a transcript for AACOMAS that is directly linked to your file from the beginning. Let me tell you, that is super nice!

What? How does that work? I have an Interfolio account and when I logged on to the AACOMAS app, I saw that it was linked, but I still have to enter every course, course number, grade, etc. Where are you seeing that Interfolio sends them a transcript so we don't have to enter that stuff?

What? How does that work? I have an Interfolio account and when I logged on to the AACOMAS app, I saw that it was linked, but I still have to enter every course, course number, grade, etc. Where are you seeing that Interfolio sends them a transcript so we don't have to enter that stuff?

I could be wrong, i just logged in, took a look around, and then went to the courses section and entered in my undergrad school and then it said you could request a transcript from the school at that time. It looked to me like the transcript would be sent to interfolio/aacomas and then the courses would be loaded into your courses section. Is that not correct? Sorry if I was wrong.

That'd be amazing. For some reason 3000 sticks out to me.

AACOMAS is 4500 characters (including spaces) and AMCAS is 5300 characters (including spaces). :thumbup:

GOOD LUCK to everyone appliying for the class of 2013! :luck::):luck::)