## 2008-2009 Application Season ## Post AACOMAS questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I could be wrong, i just logged in, took a look around, and then went to the courses section and entered in my undergrad school and then it said you could request a transcript from the school at that time. It looked to me like the transcript would be sent to interfolio/aacomas and then the courses would be loaded into your courses section. Is that not correct? Sorry if I was wrong.

No, you're right that you can order a transcript after you state your undergrad school. But it looks like you still have to enter the coursework yourself. Am I wrong on that?

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong, i just logged in, took a look around, and then went to the courses section and entered in my undergrad school and then it said you could request a transcript from the school at that time. It looked to me like the transcript would be sent to interfolio/aacomas and then the courses would be loaded into your courses section. Is that not correct? Sorry if I was wrong.

No, DO NOT SEND YOUR TRANSCRIPTS TO INTERFOLIO (sorry for yelling), but you need to send official transcripts directly to AACOMAS. You will have to fill out all your courses, grades, where you took the courses etc. AACOMAS does not do that for you! All they do is cross check what you input and what's on your official transcript.

Good Luck! :luck:

No, you're right that you can order a transcript after you state your undergrad school. But it looks like you still have to enter the coursework yourself. Am I wrong on that?

You are correct. You have to enter the coursework yourself. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
No, DO NOT SEND YOUR TRANSCRIPTS TO INTERFOLIO (sorry for yelling), but you need to send official transcripts directly to AACOMAS. You will have to fill out all your courses, grades, where you took the courses etc. AACOMAS does not do that for you! All they do is cross check what you input and what's on your official transcript.

Good Luck! :luck:

prions, if you check out the new app, interfolio is doing a lot of collaboration with AACOMAS this year, so its kind of confusing right now as to how it works, but it seems like interfolio is taking care of transcripts for AACOMAS this year? check it out and see what you think.

Thanks for clearing that up! And for the well wishes too.

One more question. On the pre-allo board, they say that contractions in the personal statement are a big no-no. Is that true? I know they're not recommended, but is it anything that'll really affect my application? Do adcoms care?

I have about 5300 characters in my PS right now and I have to thin it out to 4500.

prions, if you check out the new app, interfolio is doing a lot of collaboration with AACOMAS this year, so its kind of confusing right now as to how it works, but it seems like interfolio is taking care of transcripts for AACOMAS this year? check it out and see what you think.

I know, sorry, didn't mean to come off harsh . . . just didn't want you to send your transcripts to the wrong place. :D It seems like you still have to get your school to send your transcripts to AACOMAS and you still have to fill in your coursework (that's what the instructions say).

I think now you can manage your LOR's through AACOMAS; that's the big difference.

Thanks for clearing that up! And for the well wishes too.

One more question. On the pre-allo board, they say that contractions in the personal statement are a big no-no. Is that true? I know they're not recommended, but is it anything that'll really affect my application? Do adcoms care?

I have about 5300 characters in my PS right now and I have to thin it out to 4500.

Contractions as in "I'm, You're, she's", etc? I think, in general, you would use those for a more colloquial writing style (informal), but I think having a few is fine. I had some in my PS and it still sounded professional . . . you want your statement to be personal and not too dry and novel sounding. :thumbup::)

I know, sorry, didn't mean to come off harsh . . . just didn't want you to send your transcripts to the wrong place. :D It seems like you still have to get your school to send your transcripts to AACOMAS and you still have to fill in your coursework (that's what the instructions say).

I think now you can manage your LOR's through AACOMAS, that's the big difference.

alright, i just logged back in to look again and you are right. You guys still have to fill in all the courses and aacomas will only make you a request form for you to send to your schools. Now, in my mind, theres a lot of extra steps that they could knock out with some more collaboration here. AACOMAS should be able to use their connection with interfolio to send out transcript requests to each school attended, have that data sent in electronically and uploaded to your courses list so that everything is right the first time and there is no need to fill out the courses just to get them verified by AACOMAS. Oh well, sorry to get your hope up medstudentwanna...im glad i dont have to do all this stuff again :)

alright, i just logged back in to look again and you are right. You guys still have to fill in all the courses and aacomas will only make you a request form for you to send to your schools. Now, in my mind, theres a lot of extra steps that they could knock out with some more collaboration here. AACOMAS should be able to use their connection with interfolio to send out transcript requests to each school attended, have that data sent in electronically and uploaded to your courses list so that everything is right the first time and there is no need to fill out the courses just to get them verified by AACOMAS. Oh well, sorry to get your hope up medstudentwanna...im glad i dont have to do all this stuff again :)

I totally agree! That would make things a lot easier. Maybe next year . . .

Can I take the MCAT again even though I already have 1 acceptance? It'll be my plan B. The school is not my top choice school. Will this be frown upon by this school or any other schools that I plan to apply again in the next cycle?
does anyone know the answers for my questions above? thanks

does anyone know the answers for my questions above? thanks

OK, the school you've been accepted to will not know you took the MCAT again, unless you choose to release your score to them.

Are you thinking that if you retake and score a lot higher you'll decline the acceptance and reapply for 2009? You will probably not be interviewed again by the school you might turn down, so you better be damn sure you can get another acceptance before you go and turn one down, know what I mean?

But to answer your question: No, schools will not know if you retake the MCAT unless you release your score to AACOMAS (they might automatically update schools) or the schools themselves. Yes, this will be frowned upon by the school you are turning down. With regards to the schools you apply to in the future, I'm not sure if they would look down on you withdrawing an acceptance, retaking the MCAT and applying again. They might ask you why you applied in the first place if you were not ready and why you applied to a school that you didn't want to go to in the first place. Maybe they will be hesitant to accept you in fear of you doing the same thing to them?

Good Luck and really think seriously about turning down an acceptance. You might not be as lucky next cycle, even with a better MCAT score.

I was just browsing around AACOM and realized that their application service is up and running. It is extremely user friendly, check it out! https://aacomas.aacom.org

:love: Awesomeness.

I registered and I guess I'm the 70th-80th person to register. (I'm assuming that the 100007X-2008 (where X is a numerical digit) means that in the 2008 cycle I'm the 7Xth person to register rather than the 100007Xth person to register. Or, it cool be totally random.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Gpan, many schools ask if you've ever matriculated to med school. Per dictionary.com:
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
ma·tric·u·late Audio Help (mə-trĭk'yə-lāt') Pronunciation Key
tr. & intr.v. ma·tric·u·lat·ed, ma·tric·u·lat·ing, ma·tric·u·lates
To admit or be admitted into a group, especially a college or university.
You would have to say "yes" to that question. While I admit I have never been in this particular situation, I have heard from adcom members that this is heavily frowned on - i.e. to turn down an acceptance just because it's not your top choice school is a major no-no. If you didn't like the school, why did you apply? Or why didn't you withdraw immediately after your interview if you didn't like the school?

I would think seriously before going down this road. And, lest you think of lying on your application, let me remind you that lying on your application would be grounds for dismissal from med school -- and it would truly suck major moldy monkey patties if you got kicked out of med school in your 4th year for lying on your application.

What category would toxicology courses be considered?

Would these be considered inorganic chemistry (as it is related to pharmaceutical chemistry and physical chemistry and qualitative analysis) or as Bio/Zoology (as effects on bacterial and cellular physiology are studied, and as it belongs under the College of Natural Resources), or would it be considered other sciences (as it is categorized in the department of nutritional sciences and toxicology). Or, would it depend specifically on the course content of each toxicology course?

Any input appreciated. (well, almost any. ;))

Okay, I have a question. I have some research experience as an undergraduate research fellow. It was a paid opportunity and I got some stipend. Should I put that under work experience or academic and professional accomplishments? Or does it belong to extracirriculars. Similarly, where should I put volunteering and shadowing?

Okay, I have a question. I have some research experience as an undergraduate research fellow. It was a paid opportunity and I got some stipend. Should I put that under work experience or academic and professional accomplishments? Or does it belong to extracirriculars. Similarly, where should I put volunteering and shadowing?

IMO, if your were paid for the research, put it under "additional academic, professional and personal". You should put your volunteering and shadowing under "Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service".

Would these be considered inorganic chemistry (as it is related to pharmaceutical chemistry and physical chemistry and qualitative analysis) or as Bio/Zoology (as effects on bacterial and cellular physiology are studied, and as it belongs under the College of Natural Resources), or would it be considered other sciences (as it is categorized in the department of nutritional sciences and toxicology). Or, would it depend specifically on the course content of each toxicology course?

Well, if you look at the AACOMAS instructions for course classification, "toxicology" is not listed as a science class. Although, Pharmacy classes are listed as "other science" and "Pharmaceutical Chemistry" is listed as inorganic chemistry.

Find out what department or college the class was offered through (chemistry department, biology department) and then make your decision on what type of class you think it is. If AACOMAS disagrees with you, they will change it during the verification. :thumbup:

Although it is up and running.... are you able to submit yet? Or is it like the AMCAS where it is up, but you can't submit for a few weeks yet. Let me know. Thanks.

Is anybody else having problems with their AACOMAS gpa calculation? Mine is not correct and I know I've calculated it right. Plus, I changed some math grades just to see what happened and it change my science gpa and my non science stays the same.

Sorry for all the questions guys. I just finished entering my grades on AACOMAS, but I'm confused. I thought AACOMAS only counts the last retake. If that's true, my science GPA should be a 3.8, but it's showing as a 3.4. Any idea why that is?

Sorry for all the questions guys. I just finished entering my grades on AACOMAS, but I'm confused. I thought AACOMAS only counts the last retake. If that's true, my science GPA should be a 3.8, but it's showing as a 3.4. Any idea why that is?

My AACOMAS gpa is way messed up to! I can't totally figure it out but I know it is counting my math courses as science courses.

Are your years all messed up too? I have Fall 1997 and Spring 1998 and Summer 1998 (31 credits) listed as Freshman year, then I have Fall 1998 and Spring 1999 as Sophomore year, but the app mixed them all up. Here's what I have:

Fall 1997 FR
Fall 1997 FR
Fall 1997 FR
Fall 1997 FR
Summer 1998 FR
Summer 1998 FR
Fall 1998 SO
Fall 1998 SO
Fall 1998 SO
Fall 1998 SO
Fall 1998 SO
Spring 1997 FR
Spring 1997 FR
Spring 1997 FR

WTH?

Are your years all messed up too? I have Fall 1997 and Spring 1998 and Summer 1998 (31 credits) listed as Freshman year, then I have Fall 1998 and Spring 1999 as Sophomore year, but the app mixed them all up. Here's what I have:

Fall 1997 FR
Fall 1997 FR
Fall 1997 FR
Fall 1997 FR
Summer 1998 FR
Summer 1998 FR
Fall 1998 SO
Fall 1998 SO
Fall 1998 SO
Fall 1998 SO
Fall 1998 SO
Spring 1997 FR
Spring 1997 FR
Spring 1997 FR

WTH?

YES!!!!! I spent so much time doing this! I can't believe their system isn't working properly! I've been at work so I couldn't check SDN to see if others were having this problem and I thought I was going crazy! I tried to call but they are closed. I'll call first thing in the morning (probably along with many others).

I wonder if our designation even matters. It's been a PITA trying to count up the number of hours to fit it in within the FR, SO, JR, SR categories.

I wonder if our designation even matters. It's been a PITA trying to count up the number of hours to fit it in within the FR, SO, JR, SR categories.

I was not very accurate on this. I basically assigned two, sometimes three semesters to a class category. I think the overall trend matters, but I can't imagine exact hours (even their website has some variation to the hours). AHHH, I'm already so stressed over this!

Is anybody else having problems with their AACOMAS gpa calculation? Mine is not correct and I know I've calculated it right. Plus, I changed some math grades just to see what happened and it change my science gpa and my non science stays the same.

I thought that they didn't calculate it until they process your transcripts? That's how it was last year at least.

I thought that they didn't calculate it until they process your transcripts? That's how it was last year at least.

Officially it isn't calculated until they receive your transcript, but you enter your own values beforehand. With the values I entered it isn't giving the correct numbers. It also is changing the dates and class standings randomly. Some others are having this problem too so at least I know I'm not going crazy anymore! I'm sure it is the beginning of many bumps along the application path!

I put it down as Other Science last year, and I think that's where they left it, though I think inorganic chem could be well argued

OK, I had this problem last year. I think you might be designating the retakes wrong. Go back and read the instructions (I had to read them a couple of times) and make sure your retakes are listed properly.

Also, not designating classes in the proper year (freshman, sophomore, etc.) shouldn't affect your overall GPA, just your GPA by year. Use this formula: credits 1-29=freshman, 31-59=sophomore, 60-89=junior and 90+=senior.

If I remember correctly, let's say you have classes from the 2008-2009 school year, I think you would list them as "Fall semester 2008, spring semester 2008" I know that doesn't make sense, but I remember it being weird like that. I remember listing summer semesters was weird too. Try that and see if it works. If not, I'm just crazy . . . :)

Good Luck guys!

I can't get mine to recognize my school a second time. I got my BS from Colorado State and am now getting my MS. I put in all the info for the BS, years attended, degree, dates, etc, save it, up it comes. Then I put in CSU again, dates for my masters program, intended date of graduation, etc. When I save it, my undergrad CSU disappears, I think it becomes my graduate CSU. I've tried re-entering it, to no avail.

It also won't recognize my silly phys ed 0.5 credit, keeps putting it at 0. Arrgg, I've emailed and called, lets see what happens. I'm a bit worried about the dates, I remember last year AACOMAS being a bit different than the MD apps regarding how to enter dates.

So I know we've discussed repeats already, but I'm still a little confused. Here is my situation:

Math class: Took it and got a D, then repeated it
-do i list this is Math class grade:D classification:Repeat 01 and then
-Math Class A Last Repeat 01

Ecology: Withdrew then repeated
-since I already listed math as my repeat 01, do I now use 02?
-Ecology W Repeat 02, then
-Ecology A Last Repeat 02

???????????

Thanks!

okay, another question. I have a bit of a problem. I repeated some courses that were taken at different schools. Both schools had slightly different course titles for those courses but they were identical courses. Another problem is that I had to take lab and lecture as seperate entities at my first school. So for example, the lecture portion of gen bio was bio 111, and lab portion was bio 121. But at my second school, both lab and lecture were merged together as a 4 credit hour class. How do I go about putting such classes as repeats? I mean the repeated class will have more credit hours than the first one. And how will I be able to convey that the lab is included, and therefore, repeated as well?

okay, another question. I have a bit of a problem. I repeated some courses that were taken at different schools. Both schools had slightly different course titles for those courses but they were identical courses. Another problem is that I had to take lab and lecture as seperate entities at my first school. So for example, the lecture portion of gen bio was bio 111, and lab portion was bio 121. But at my second school, both lab and lecture were merged together as a 4 credit hour class. How do I go about putting such classes as repeats? I mean the repeated class will have more credit hours than the first one. And how will I be able to convey that the lab is included, and therefore, repeated as well?

I had the same thing last year; just list them both (the lecture and lab) as repeats. If AACOMAS comes back and doesn't count it, just be ready to explain that they were equivalent classes.

So I know we've discussed repeats already, but I'm still a little confused. Here is my situation:

???????????

Thanks!

That is correct. Although since you withdrew from ecology I'm not sure you need to list it as a repeat as a W does't affect your gpa (unless it is a WF).

???????????

Thanks!

List the first time as : "math class (D)-repeat 01"
and the second time as: "math class (A)-last repeat 01"

For the W it will be:
for the first time: "ecology class (W)-repeat 02"
and the second time as: "ecology class(A)-last repeat 02"

I had some W's that I retook and I listed the first attempt as a W. :)

I had the same thing last year; just list them both (the lecture and lab) as repeats. If AACOMAS comes back and doesn’t count it, just be ready to explain that they were equivalent classes.

Thanks for your swift reply. I haven't started putting in my courses yet, but from what I understand, this seems a little odd. I thought that a class, if repeated, would be designated as repeat 01, repeat 02 and so on. So how can I designate two class (lab and lecture) as being together and repeated as one class (merged 4 hour class)? May be I am not getting it. If you can somehow show me exactly how that could be done, it'll be much appreciated.

OK, I had this problem last year. I think you might be designating the retakes wrong. Go back and read the instructions (I had to read them a couple of times) and make sure your retakes are listed properly.

I went back and checked and I think I'm following the directions. I have a math class I retook, so I labeled the original as an R01 and the retake as an L01. Then I have a French class I retook, so I labeled the original as an R02 and the retake as an L02.

Can you tell me why the courses are all mixed up? I have Summer 2007 stuff coming before Spring 2007 but Spring 2007 came first. So it's showing I took Organic II in Summer 2007 BEFORE I took Organic I in Spring 2006.

Thanks for your swift reply. I haven't started putting in my courses yet, but from what I understand, this seems a little odd. I thought that a class, if repeated, would be designated as repeat 01, repeat 02 and so on. So how can I designate two class (lab and lecture) as being together and repeated as one class (merged 4 hour class)? May be I am not getting it. If you can somehow show me exactly how that could be done, it'll be much appreciated.

I did for example:
Bio I lab (one hour) Repeat 01
Bio I actually course (three hours) repeat 01

Bio I (four hours) last repeat 01

I just designated both lab and course as the same. I can only imagine this is the way to do it.

I did for example:

I just designated both lab and course as the same. I can only imagine this is the way to do it.

Thank you!!!!

I did for example:

Yep, that's what I did too! :thumbup:

I went back and checked and I think I'm following the directions. I have a math class I retook, so I labeled the original as an R01 and the retake as an L01. Then I have a French class I retook, so I labeled the original as an R02 and the retake as an L02.

Can you tell me why the courses are all mixed up? I have Summer 2007 stuff coming before Spring 2007 but Spring 2007 came first. So it's showing I took Organic II in Summer 2007 BEFORE I took Organic I in Spring 2006.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about with the summer semesters being all crazy. Let's say you had classes during the 2007-2008 school year, I think you would list them as "fall 2007, spring 2007 and summer 2007". I know that sounds wacky, but I remember doing something like that last year. If it's still acting weird after you try that, just call AACOMAS in the morning and hopefully they can help you.

It seems like you are entering the repeats correctly. :thumbup:

Yeah, that's what I was talking about with the summer semesters being all crazy. Let's say you had classes during the 2007-2008 school year, I think you would list them as "fall 2007, spring 2007 and summer 2007". I know that sounds wacky, but I remember doing something like that last year. If it's still acting weird after you try that, just call AACOMAS in the morning and hopefully they can help you.

It seems like you are entering the repeats correctly. :thumbup:

But if I do that, it won't match my transcript. LOL

I don't now, I guess I have to call them to find out what to do. Did anyone read the instructions? Did it address how to label your courses so that it, you know, falls into some sequential order instead of just randomly throwing all the semesters together?

List the first time as : "math class (D)-repeat 01"
and the second time as: "math class (A)-last repeat 01"

For the W it will be:
for the first time: "ecology class (W)-repeat 02"
and the second time as: "ecology class(A)-last repeat 02"

I had some W's that I retook and I listed the first attempt as a W. :)

Thanks!

But if I do that, it won't match my transcript. LOL

I don't now, I guess I have to call them to find out what to do. Did anyone read the instructions? Did it address how to label your courses so that it, you know, falls into some sequential order instead of just randomly throwing all the semesters together?

OK, I just went back into AACOMAS and tried what you are doing. You do have to enter them the way I was telling you to.

Let's say you took a summer course in June 2005 (but this is during the 2004-2005 school year) you have to list it as "summer 2004" for it to be in order. It will all work out in the end, don't worry if it doesn't match your transcript . . . I'm pretty sure this is the right way to do it. :thumbup:

I did it this way last year and everything was fine. :luck:

ugh, it's looking like I'll have to redate things, it's all out of order date wise. I like the new program, but it's got some odd quirks. I'll have to wait to finish this until they get back to me so I can enter all my grad classes.:rolleyes:

im guessing any sports played will be under extracurriculars??

also...i took a Sports Psych course from my Kines department...it counts towards my kines major....can i get away w/ putting that under "other science" because its from the kines department and not the psych department?

For anybody that has already done there gpa calculations:

If you don't mind, enter another grade for one of your math courses and see what it does to your gpa. For me, it changes science and overall, but not non-science. I know AACOMAS lists math as non science so why is this?

From what I read in the instructions, say you take a course in summer 2005, then the prior spring (actually spring 2005), you would list as spring 2004 and the new school year begins with the summer sessions so it is summer 2005. Quite confusing, it would be much more simple if they would just have us list the courses as they appear on our transcripts.

I wrote what I and several profs last year felt was a good personal statement last year. I want to use it again, but part of me feels that a new one might be a good idea. Any thoughts? Anybody else reapplying considering reusing their personal statement?