2008-2009 OHSU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found out about this sdn forum. Glad to see I'm not the only one on hold. I was wondering if a lot of you guys who are already accepted were previously on hold or did you get accepted right after your interview?

Welcome!

Anyone have any good Hold stress-relievers, besides an addiction to SDN?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome!

Anyone have any good Hold stress-relievers, besides an addiction to SDN?

leave town for a few days. I flew out to NYC for an interview and between the preparation, the trip itself, and the return about a week passed that would have otherwise been entirely devoted to stressing out about schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if anyone else has gotten into the MD/MPH program - I would love to chat with you and see what your decision-making process is!

Also, any current MD/MPHers in this forum? I would love to pick your brains about the program! :D

Interviewed 2/18 MD/MPH. Got a call from Debbie earlier this evening informing me I was accepted to the MD program, and will hear back about MPH within the next few weeks. Looking forward to meeting everyone in the 2013 class! PS - I've been a lurker, and have heard tell of an IM basketball team - Count me in!

Interviewed 2/18 MD/MPH. Got a call from Debbie earlier this evening informing me I was accepted to the MD program, and will hear back about MPH within the next few weeks. Looking forward to meeting everyone in the 2013 class! PS - I've been a lurker, and have heard tell of an IM basketball team - Count me in!

Congratulations DS Portland!! Fingers crossed for the MPH.... hopefully I will be one of your 2013 classmates. Officially joining club 'waiting for May 15th'

Just thought I'd post my calulations as well to deal with my impatience. When I interviewed March 17th, they said they were interviewing 550 people. If 83 (15%) are initially accepted and 83 are initially rejected, that leaves 384 on hold. If they give out 210+ acceptances, that means at least 127 (33% of the hold pool) will get acceptances. Are there any other reapplicants on hold?

Hi all - just have heard rumors from students at other med schools that OHSU is having some pretty severe financial troubles and is cutting some programs from the med school as a result. Does anyone have any more information about this? I know when I interviewed they told us about some cool stuff like the medical spanish program, and that they are working towards videotaping the lectures but I worry that maybe these things which attracted me to the school will be cut as well. Any thoughts/info?

I work up on the hill and OHSU is facing severe financial difficulty. However, I haven't heard any rumors that it affects the med school programs. Because the school is such a huge part of campus here, they tend the guard the medschool program pretty fiercely. I do know they have put building the new medschool campus at the south waterfront on hold, but that is the only thing I've heard of. You would have to call and ask the admissions office if you have any specific questions (such as spanish and videotaping classes). From what I've heard, medical spanish was a number of years off anyways but I could be wrong. They do offer a medical spanish program not related to the med school here on campus that a number of students end up taking, but its not for credit.

Hey Runner22,
I also work and volunteer up here at OHSU and have heard from the docs up here that numerous programs are going to be cut in the near future. As far as specific cuts, I'm not sure. One doc I heard from who works in the ER, who is therefore more focused on programs involved there, told me that the Trauma system might be removed, which would delocalize many of the emergencies around the state that would normally go to OHSU. In general though, I would expect cuts up here that would, if not directly influence the med school, affect the med school nonetheless.

Hey Runner,

I also work (and volunteer) at OHSU. Although OHSU is facing financial troubles, the med school is one of the top priorities for the educational half of OHSU. Other schools, OGI, etc. have either had their respective campuses removed, faculty cut, etc. Also, the State of Oregon just approved a new tort cap law limiting OHSU's liability in legal cases, which is good news for OHSU. Hope that helps!

:thumbup:

congrats. i am in the same boat. and count me in for the IM team.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though its a known fact OHSU is having financial trouble, I would just be careful about hearsay on what is/isn't being cut. think OHSU is a great school, and I wouldn't recommend anyone turn and flee without speaking with a reliable source (ie the admissions office or some other OHSU official). I don't want to frighten myself or anyone else away from OHSU without reliable evidence about known programs being axed.

Just thought I'd post my calulations as well to deal with my impatience. When I interviewed March 17th, they said they were interviewing 550 people. If 83 (15%) are initially accepted and 83 are initially rejected, that leaves 384 on hold. If they give out 210+ acceptances, that means at least 127 (33% of the hold pool) will get acceptances. Are there any other reapplicants on hold?

I am also a reapplicant on hold...about 24 days until May 15th- go team hold!

Not that it matters a whole lot, but in the email they sent to notify me of my hold status- it says they interviewed 525 applicants over the course of six months, oct-march- does this improve the odds ;o)

congrats. i am in the same boat. and count me in for the IM team.

I've created a new thread for IM team stuff in the Allo/Class-Specific section!

Hey Everyone,

So I heard word of my acceptance on March 17th, but have not yet received my acceptance packet. Anyone else in a similar situation? Or should I start worrying that my acceptance was just one big joke, lol...

Any comments that would put my mind at ease would be greatly appreciated, haha.

Hey Everyone,

So I heard word of my acceptance on March 17th, but have not yet received my acceptance packet. Anyone else in a similar situation? Or should I start worrying that my acceptance was just one big joke, lol...

Any comments that would put my mind at ease would be greatly appreciated, haha.

It took me about 2 months to get mine. Don't worry it's coming. :thumbup:

so, for sure, does anyone know if OHSU will parse through it's on-hold list ON may 15th?

Does anyone know whether they send their May 15th letters out via snail mail or email? Thanks!

Hi all - just have heard rumors from students at other med schools that OHSU is having some pretty severe financial troubles and is cutting some programs from the med school as a result. Does anyone have any more information about this? I know when I interviewed they told us about some cool stuff like the medical spanish program, and that they are working towards videotaping the lectures but I worry that maybe these things which attracted me to the school will be cut as well. Any thoughts/info?

Many people have heard many rumors about OHSU's financial situation. Some are true, some aren't. Yes, money is getting tighter, but in all honesty it hasn't affected accepted medical students very much. However, tuition has gone up and for my year, class size was scaled back. Other things affected include halting some of the new building construction by the waterfront, and closing a few research labs. We still have small anatomy groups, plenty of physicians willing to work as preceptors, many elective classes available, and grants for things like summer research.

As for the specific programs you mentioned, there have been some rumors of the medical spanish courses being reduced, but this is only partially because of financial trouble. We've recently seen a boom in the number of new electives being created, and that has also contributed to pushing some programs towards the chopping block. As for next year, I'm almost positive that the advanced medical spanish elective will be offered. The advanced beginner, and intermediate levels may or may not make it through.

As for videotaped lectures, I don't know anything about that. As of right now there is no videotaping and if the school is planning to change that, the current students certainly don't know about it.

Hi,
A few questions to anyone out there that knows the answer to these questions:

1.) Are pre-clinical or clinical years graded?
2.) Are research opportunities and FUNDING available? If so, what type of opportunities are available?
3.) Financial aid: When should students expect to receive financial aid information?
4.)I've been waiting two weeks and haven't gotten an acceptance packet (just an email). Will they send it out soon? *Also, those of you who have gotten your packets, did they include financial aid information?

I appreciate your responses since May is just around the corner and I really need to make a decision.

Anybody receive notice from interviewing the week of Monday March 30th? at interview day, they mentioned decisions should be made toward the end of April. Acceptances/holds will be emailed, rejections are sent via snail-mail -- I fear the later because the silence in my inbox is deafening.

Anybody receive notice from interviewing the week of Monday March 30th? at interview day, they mentioned decisions should be made toward the end of April. Acceptances/holds will be emailed, rejections are sent via snail-mail -- I fear the later because the silence in my inbox is deafening.

I interviewed on April 1. Our group was told that May 15 fell on the 6 week mark and we were unlikely to hear before then. Honestly, I could only hope to get an early word on an acceptance/rejection/hold, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I bet we find out along with everyone else on 5/15.

That is, unless someone has received word on their status after 4 weeks...

wepio, I just heard Friday after interviewing March 17th, so not hearing from March 30th seems like nothing to panic about.

peds, I don't really know much, but I do know the pre-clinical years are graded (pass, high-pass, low-pass, etc. kind of grades) and that there are lots of funded research opportunities, especially if you work to seek them out.
Also, I was told I should get the package in about 2 weeks but that 1) other people have said it has taken months and 2) rumor is it may not contain financial information for another month or two (but i haven't gotten mine yet to know). I've found that Dr. Cynthia Morris is very responsive to emails if you want more informed answers.

wepio, I just heard Friday after interviewing March 17th, so not hearing from March 30th seems like nothing to panic about.

peds, I don't really know much, but I do know the pre-clinical years are graded (pass, high-pass, low-pass, etc. kind of grades) and that there are lots of funded research opportunities, especially if you work to seek them out.
Also, I was told I should get the package in about 2 weeks but that 1) other people have said it has taken months and 2) rumor is it may not contain financial information for another month or two (but i haven't gotten mine yet to know). I've found that Dr. Cynthia Morris is very responsive to emails if you want more informed answers.

Sounds like you got in! Congratulations!

Thanks! I'm super stoked, but definitely have a lot of sympathy pain for everyone waiting to hear.

Plus I think I might have acquired a mild addiction to student doctor, and thus am still reading the forums :)

Thanks! I'm super stoked, but definitely have a lot of sympathy pain for everyone waiting to hear.

Plus I think I might have acquired a mild addiction to student doctor, and thus am still reading the forums :)

...then I implore you to not start reading these threads as they will certainly feed the growing addiction.

Worst Interview Answers
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=359690&highlight=worst+interview

Most Bizzare Interview Moments
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=218&highlight=bizarre

You've been warned. Proceed with caution.

so when i found out that i was on hold, i called lori maybe 3 weeks ago, but i have never received an actual email telling me that i was on hold...i shouldn't be worried should i?

Hi,
A few questions to anyone out there that knows the answer to these questions:

1.) Are pre-clinical or clinical years graded?
2.) Are research opportunities and FUNDING available? If so, what type of opportunities are available?
3.) Financial aid: When should students expect to receive financial aid information?
4.)I've been waiting two weeks and haven't gotten an acceptance packet (just an email). Will they send it out soon? *Also, those of you who have gotten your packets, did they include financial aid information?

I appreciate your responses since May is just around the corner and I really need to make a decision.

1) Main pre-clinical courses are graded as Honors (90+%), Near Honors (85-89%), Satisfactory (usually 70-84%), Marginal (65-69%), Fail (<65%). The clinical medicine course, preceptorships, and (I believe) clerkships are graded on a more subjective 1-10 scale. There is no curve, so there is no limit to how many students can end up with each grade.

2) Almost any lab group on campus is willing to take medical students during the summer, or in some cases, during the academic year. Students who are pursuing research can apply for funding through the school of medicine, or find their own sources. There are also grants students can apply for if they would prefer to do research abroad, although the amount awarded can vary.

3) Financial aid packets should make it to students within a month or two of their acceptance, but they will all say pretty much the same thing. Students will all be approved for loans that cover the cost of tuition, fees, and living expenses. Rarely, a student will have some other sort of grant, but for the most part, scholarship money is not awarded until students apply halfway through their MS1 year.

4) I imagine that your acceptance letter will get to you soon, but financial aid information is not usually included with it. And, if you get really worried about the acceptance letter, the school is sometimes willing to email you an electronic copy.

So I'm gonna come visit OHSU and Portland the first week of May, and I would love to meet any of my future classmates! I'll only be around the 7th and 8th, and if anyone would like to sit in on classes with me, show me around Portland or go out to grab something to eat/drinks, PM me! :D

Last edited:
Hi wepio,

I interviewed on March 31st and I'm almost certain that they said that for us, we'll hear back from them on May 15th. So don't worry, sit tight :).

Hi wepio,

I interviewed on March 31st and I'm almost certain that they said that for us, we'll hear back from them on May 15th. So don't worry, sit tight :).

I can't take this waiting anymore... :boom:

Do many students receive significant scholarships/grants after they apply as an M1?

Adding to the question that NSDQ just raised, how does an MS1 qualify for these scholarships? Is it solely based on their performance as an MS1 or are there other factors such as undergrad gpa and MCAT scores?

I also would like to know how the scholarships work for M1s...

Do many students receive significant scholarships/grants after they apply as an M1?

Adding to the question that NSDQ just raised, how does an MS1 qualify for these scholarships? Is it solely based on their performance as an MS1 or are there other factors such as undergrad gpa and MCAT scores?

I also would like to know how the scholarships work for M1s...

Unfortunately, I'm not the best person to answer that question because as an MD/PhD, it wouldn't have done me any good to apply for scholarship money. However, it is my understanding that most people who received money didn't get anything really substantial - anything from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. Perhaps there are exceptions, but if there are, I haven't heard of them.

I just got the hold email today, interviewed April 9th. Hooray for non-rejection, boo to continued waiting!

I just got the hold email today, interviewed April 9th. Hooray for non-rejection, boo to continued waiting!

Here's hoping that May 15th will get you some good news! :thumbup:

Are there any people holding acceptances who are planning on withdrawing before May 15th or are debating between OHSU and another school? I'm a little scared by the fact that everyone on this thread who has received an acceptance seems to be intent on attending OHSU in the fall, which means little alternate list movement...

I'm on the waitlist at UCSF which might open up my OHSU spot.

I would be confident there is going to be a lot of movement on the hold list, especially considering that OHSU never gives out more acceptances than they have spots. Also, looking at the site, it looks like they give out a specific hold list number and post where they are on that list on their website, so at least after May 15th it seems you should be as informed as possible.

good luck! :xf:

I finally got my hold email today too...4 weeks after being told I was on hold via the phone. Oh Oregon...2 weeks to May 15.

you interviewed in april and you've already hear back?? ahhh i interviewed march 31st and i haven't hear a peep...i thought there wouldn't be any news till may 15th. now i'm really worried. do any of you remember if they said they send rejections by regular mail or email?

you interviewed in april and you've already hear back?? ahhh i interviewed march 31st and i haven't hear a peep...i thought there wouldn't be any news till may 15th. now i'm really worried. do any of you remember if they said they send rejections by regular mail or email?

I interviewed the same week and also no email. This cannot be good. And yes, they do send rejections via snail mail. Looks like I won't be checking the ol' mail box for a few weeks!

I interviewed the same week and also no email. This cannot be good. And yes, they do send rejections via snail mail. Looks like I won't be checking the ol' mail box for a few weeks!
It doesn't mean anything bad if someone interviewed after you and already heard. The order doesn't go strictly by interview date. Don't worry.

It doesn't mean anything bad if someone interviewed after you and already heard. The order doesn't go strictly by interview date. Don't worry.

That's good to know. I was starting to give up on the hope of staying in the NW.

I agree it doesn't seem to go in order by interview date. As for the 'don't worry' comment.....:) I will be worrying for the next 15 days even though I know it doesn't change a thing!

thanks so much! <insert sigh of relief icon here> :)

A quick question for you guys who are reapplicants:

I have no acceptances at this point yet, but am still waiting on 2 schools (waitlisted at UCSD, hold pool at OHSU). So, my question is: how long should I wait before I reapply?

I really don't want to have to drop $800 on primary apps again if I will be getting in this year. And it doesn't sound like I'd be hearing back before June 1, unless some miracle occurs.

What do you guys think?

Just saw an odd posting on the OHSU Admissions site. Check it out at

http://www.ohsu.edu/ohsuedu/academic/som/MD/admissions.cfm

"05/02/2009 05:51:26 PM​

Alternate List Watch: The incoming class of 2008 has matriculated. There will be no further movement on the alternate list."

I'm hoping that this is stale information from last year? It seems odd that a post from 2008 is still up. Could it be that they meant 2009? Hope not!

Any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.