2008-2009 OHSU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Irish! I'm really hoping to get into OHSU - if I did, it'd be my first acceptance :xf:

Sorry to hear about your rank reezer - but you never know what will happen! I'll be pulling for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yikes, is everyone receiving e-mails today? When did people get their emails? This isn't looking good.
i haven't heard, but i'm getting nervous. i thought it wasn't going to be until thursday at the earliest.

Just got an email -- came in around an hour ago..... 43. Thatll do donkey:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, I'm not gonna lie. I think I've given up hope...

Nah, it's too early for that RG...seriously. Don't worry just yet.

Well damn!! You were right van wilder. I just got the e-mail. Don't lose faith yet folks. I have a feeling they may be going alphabetically. My last name starts with an M. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
Well damn!! You were right van wilder. I just got the e-mail. Number 71. Don't lose faith yet folks. I have a feeling they may be going alphabetically. My last name starts with an M. Good Luck!!!

thank you for making me more :scared:

i'll be watching this thread with bated breath

Well damn!! You were right van wilder. I just got the e-mail. Number 71. Don't lose faith yet folks. I have a feeling they may be going alphabetically. My last name starts with an M. Good Luck!!!

If they are going alphabetically, then I'm royally screwed. My last name starts with an "A". So much for Portland. It was by far my best interview, and my favorite location of any interview. But, there's always residency.

Congrats RGmass! About the emails, I don't think they're being sent out by alphabet, unless its by first name. My last name starts with "n", and I got my email about 2 hours ago.

Congrats on the emails guys! I've been trying to avoid SDN to be productive, but I'm sucked in again. I'm feeling all tingly and barfy now. No email yet!

Congratulations RG! I told ya!
I guess there are quite a few of us on here who haven't heard, and I doubt we all got the axe...maybe it goes by residency or something?

This sucks. I feel like that fat kid in grade school who is standing against the wall as they are picking teams: one position left, you and another kid still standing. You all know how this story ends...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey reezer, did you just get the e-mail within the last few minutes or so?
i'm sorry the number isn't lower, i saw you went through this before. do you have other acceptances lined up in case?

yeah, i'm kinda bummed, but haven't lost hope just yet....but this is my only hope for admission this year...sad! Time to work on next years' apps I guess. yuck.

I believe I got my email at 3:04 pm- maybe they do it by interview date?

Just got ranked at 99...I'm think that is no chance what-so-ever...thoughts?

It depends on the particular application cycle. There has been a trend to lower and lower numbers on the waitlist each year, but that doesn't mean that the trend won't reverse this year. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

when was your email sent rip city?

Thanks AquaDoc...I'll be doing the NW Track at Western University unless by some miracle I get in here.
I got my email at 4:16pm

So it's past 5 and I don't have an email. Does this mean I'm rejected?

So it's past 5 and I don't have an email. Does this mean I'm rejected?
I remember when I got my email for the interview, it was sent at almost 6:00 pm Pacific time. Even if we don't hear today, I still think we could get e-mails in the next day or so. Be optimistic :)

i agree. i've found the worst thing you can do is to try and apply logic to this application process.

good luck!:xf:

I interviewed in early November, could they be going by interview date? Please, give me anything here to hold on to some hope.

i agree. i've found the worst thing you can do is to try and apply logic to this application process.

good luck!:xf:

True. It's almost as if they're blindly grabbing darts labeled with either accept, reject, or some random ranking and then throwing them at a list of applicants 20-ft away. You know, like some demented adcom drinking game.

I interviewed in early November, could they be going by interview date? Please, give me anything here to hold on to some hope.

Yeah, I was going to ask about that too. For those who got emails, when did you interview? Since I interviewed during the last date in April, I probably shouldn't expect much yet if that's the benchmark.

Also, I didn't get an email last year. I just got a letter notifying me about my rank.

True. It's almost as if they're blindly grabbing darts labeled with either accept, reject, or some random ranking and then throwing them at a list of applicants 20-ft away. You know, like some demented adcom drinking game.

I'm about to go home and have a demented adcom drinking game.

For those with ranks, are you IS or OOS?
MUST MAKE SENSE OF THE ORDER IN WHICH THEY SEND THE WAITLIST NOTICE!!!!!!!!!!

For those with ranks, are you IS or OOS?
MUST MAKE SENSE OF THE ORDER IN WHICH THEY SEND THE WAITLIST NOTICE!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know, man, but I feel your pain. I'm thinking of going to the gym, I'm not sure if anything will come this late, maybe tomorrow??? I just hope the e-mails are going to continue to be sent.

Yeah, I was going to ask about that too. For those who got emails, when did you interview? Since I interviewed during the last date in April, I probably shouldn't expect much yet if that's the benchmark.

Also, I didn't get an email last year. I just got a letter notifying me about my rank.

Talked with admissions, they don't go in particular order it seems. Some may not hear until the 15'th, others will hear before then. Thus if you have not heard by today, I would not worry about it so much. Good luck to you all! (And sorry for second rapid-fire posting!)

Wow, congratulations Janoob. That's an awesome number. Did you just get the email?

I received the email at 1:16pm Pacific...

Still not sure if this is something to be happy about, but I guess that's just being picky after being accepted elsewhere.:laugh::scared:

#111. Barf.

Does state of residence impact their decision making a lot? For some reason I was under the impression it wasn't that huge of a deal, based on their recent classes' demographics.

lucky #102!!! :)

now...let's just hope the whole class DIES. (i'm SO kidding..)
it'll be okay...i probably won't end up here, but it'll be okay at the end.

#111. Barf.

Does state of residence impact their decision making a lot? For some reason I was under the impression it wasn't that huge of a deal, based on their recent classes' demographics.

Once you've reached the interview stage, IS/OOS doesn't matter... supposedly.

I received the email at 1:16pm Pacific...

Still not sure if this is something to be happy about, but I guess that's just being picky after being accepted elsewhere.:laugh::scared:

So... are you planning on going to OHSU if you are accepted?

would they have notified those they decided to accept from hold already? Maybe a glimmer of hope for those who haven't heard yet...

Crap! I'm waitlisted, at number 109!

Ouch!

But, at least I was accepted somewhere else. Oh well, every experience I've had with OHSU so far has been quite negative (I live in Portland, by the way). So, although I would have liked to stay in the Northwest, I guess I'll be moving this summer.

Well, good luck to those of you who are still waiting and congratulations to those of you who have been accepted!

Bleh I'm jealous of those who have a rank and some idea of where they stand for the md/mph were just stuck in this unranked hold pool. Anyone know if they ever give you an idea of where you stand in that separate pool or how many offers for the dual degree have been made so far?

Bleh I'm jealous of those who have a rank and some idea of where they stand for the md/mph were just stuck in this unranked hold pool. Anyone know if they ever give you an idea of where you stand in that separate pool or how many offers for the dual degree have been made so far?

Hey Ballerina, I feel your pain, I'm in the unranked hold pool as well - I want in to the MD/MPH program soo bad! I sent an email late last week to Dr S to let him know that I was still very interested in the combined degree program. He ended following up with me today and said that he has offered out 6 spots. 2 are taken for good and he is waiting to hear back from the other 4....once he does he said he will offer the vacant spots to those on the short list -no definite timeline.

Last edited:
Hey Ballerina, I feel your pain, I'm in the unranked hold pool as well - I want in to the MD/MPH program soo bad! I sent an email late last week to Dr S to let him know that I was still very interested in the combined degree program. He ended following up with me today and said that he has offered out 6 spots. 2 are taken for good and he is waiting to hear back from the other 4....once he does he said he will offer the vacant spots to those on the short list -no definite timeline.

cool (well not cool, but you know what I mean). he's pretty good about responding to emails, which makes me happy. do you think it would be presumptuous to ask if him if i've made the short list (if he even has it)?

would they have notified those they decided to accept from hold already? Maybe a glimmer of hope for those who haven't heard yet...

Ooh, good thought, Irish. :idea: I like your logic! :thumbup: :xf:

Still nothing here . . . of course, it's still early on the west coast. This is KILLING me, though! Why oh why did I check SDN?! :eek: So much for being productive at work today! :rolleyes:

:thumbup:
I got the e-mail yesterday at 1:30pm, I'm in the top 10 of the alternate list(waitlist)!!!!!!:)
I guess I can say with 99.99999% confidence that I will be getting in.

Unless all the offers outstanding say they want to go to OHSU, a probably of (0.5) to the power of the number of offers outstanding = almost certain that this will not happen.

8 years of hard work paid off! (undergrad->masters->nearing acceptance). Never give up. Those of you who get in straight from undergrad, treasure how lucky you are and the time/effort/expense you have saved.

It may take 1,2,3, or I've even heard of 4 times applying. But if you really want it, consider it part of the application process and keep re-applying.

Hopefully will be getting the acceptance offer within 1 to 2 weeks as people decide on schools.

Anybody get an acceptance offer yet? If so, when is the deadline for responding? For waitlisted people it is May 29.

Med students: when does the OHSU student insurance kick in and can you direct me to where I can read about the details of it?

Thank you and good luck to all as you are waiting/decided!!!!

:thumbup:
I got the e-mail yesterday at 1:30pm, I'm in the top 10 of the alternate list(waitlist)!!!!!!:)
I guess I can say with 99.99999% confidence that I will be getting in.

Unless all the offers outstanding say they want to go to OHSU, a probably of (0.5) to the power of the number of offers outstanding = almost certain that this will not happen.

8 years of hard work paid off! (undergrad->masters->nearing acceptance). Never give up. Those of you who get in straight from undergrad, treasure how lucky you are and the time/effort/expense you have saved.

It may take 1,2,3, or I've even heard of 4 times applying. But if you really want it, consider it part of the application process and keep re-applying.

Hopefully will be getting the acceptance offer within 1 to 2 weeks as people decide on schools.

Anybody get an acceptance offer yet? If so, when is the deadline for responding? For waitlisted people it is May 29.

Med students: when does the OHSU student insurance kick in and can you direct me to where I can read about the details of it?

Thank you and good luck to all as you are waiting/decided!!!!

Thanks for your post medipost- it's nice to know there are other "non-traditionals" out there who actually realize their dreams eventually :)
Congrats!

My boyfriend just called Lori and found out the following:

ALL the waitlist spots were emailed out yesterday, May 12th

They still haven't given out all the acceptances so I'm assuming that they are going to give out like 200 and are still deciding and emailing and then once they get down to 115, then the waitlist will come into play. From what my boyfriend got, Lori said we might not hear about acceptances for a couple of weeks.

I still didn't receive an email so I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. Hope this info helps.

My boyfriend just called Lori and found out the following:

ALL the waitlist spots were emailed out yesterday, May 12th

They still haven't given out all the acceptances so I'm assuming that they are going to give out like 200 and are still deciding and emailing and then once they get down to 115, then the waitlist will come into play. From what my boyfriend got, Lori said we might not hear about acceptances for a couple of weeks.

I still didn't receive an email so I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. Hope this info helps.
Thanks LD1234Him. I guess this is either awesome or heartbreaking for the rest of us.

how did he get through?? i can't get anyone to call me back (not to mention answer) on any number i have :(

Status
Not open for further replies.