2008-2009 OHSU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think med schools do know what other schools you've applied to based on two experiences:

-I remember during my interview at OHSU a few years ago, the interviewer had a copy of my AMCAS application and I remember seeing the last pages where it lists all the schools you've applied to.

-A friend of mine with multiple acceptances got an e-mail from one of the schools listing the other schools he has been accepted to and asking him to make a decision by May 15.

Hmmm . . . I'm pretty sure I've heard many times that they don't get those pages with the list of schools you've applied to (but maybe it was different a couple years ago?). It is apparently perfectly kosher for your interviewers to ask you that, though (I got it in a couple of my interviews), so you'd still have to be prepared to defend your choice to apply to only one. (I gather OHSU doesn't do EDP?)

On the second point, I think somewhere around May 8th the schools get a list of everywhere you've been accepted (which has made me wonder if that's why OHSU waits until May 15th to make their waitlist!), so they can then ask you to make a decision to move their waitlist along.

chuck84 - I'm with you on the interview issue. I'm still holding out hope for a miraculous acceptance instead of a thin envelope:xf:, but seeing as how all signs are pointing to a dismal conclusion, what happened? I felt comfortable talking to my interviewers and walked out feeling good. As for essays, I thought my OHSU ones were some of my best . . . which leads me to blame my numbers. If most people feel they have great interviews, then they must have to fall back on the numbers, etc. to distinguish the candidates, yes? Maybe particularly amazing interviews can negate lower stats, but maybe mine didn't quite hit that "amazing" level? Or maybe they got the list of where people are accepted, saw that I had an acceptance near my home state, and decided I wouldn't come? (if so, ARGH!) In any case, I can't help but feel that the interview can't possibly be worth as much as people say (unless I get that miraculous acceptance, and then, I concur! :laugh:)

Members don't see this ad.

Just Bored, So replying..

Hmmm . . . I'm pretty sure I've heard many times that they don't get those pages with the list of schools you've applied to (but maybe it was different a couple years ago?). It is apparently perfectly kosher for your interviewers to ask you that, though (I got it in a couple of my interviews), so you'd still have to be prepared to defend your choice to apply to only one. (I gather OHSU doesn't do EDP?)

Schools NEVER get that last page of our AMCAS. I have checked this with AMCAS and multiple schools.

On the second point, I think somewhere around May 8th the schools get a list of everywhere you've been accepted (which has made me wonder if that's why OHSU waits until May 15th to make their waitlist!), so they can then ask you to make a decision to move their waitlist along.

Actually they do get a "Multiple acceptance list" from AAMC on March 15 !! This list is very critical for medical schools. A lot of times they consider the other schools you are accepted to when they are generating fin. aid package/grants/merit-scholarships as a retainer for superstar applicants.

chuck84 - I'm with you on the interview issue. I'm still holding out hope for a miraculous acceptance instead of a thin envelope:xf:, but seeing as how all signs are pointing to a dismal conclusion, what happened? I felt comfortable talking to my interviewers and walked out feeling good. As for essays, I thought my OHSU ones were some of my best . . . which leads me to blame my numbers. If most people feel they have great interviews, then they must have to fall back on the numbers, etc. to distinguish the candidates, yes? Maybe particularly amazing interviews can negate lower stats, but maybe mine didn't quite hit that "amazing" level? Or maybe they got the list of where people are accepted, saw that I had an acceptance near my home state, and decided I wouldn't come? (if so, ARGH!) In any case, I can't help but feel that the interview can't possibly be worth as much as people say (unless I get that miraculous acceptance, and then, I concur! :laugh:)

It is a random process. Just like a dog show. Every dog looks like it is of a good pedigree and well-groomed but somehow they pick a winner. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference of the Adcom's and Dean of Admissions. :luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
OHSU is getting ready to start updating waitlist movement for 2009(no movement so far):

http://www.ohsu.edu/ohsuedu/academic/som/MD/admissions.cfm

Hopefully OHSU will start updating the website as soon as people start giving up their acceptances and waitlist spots, instead of waiting until May 29th.

Nice. Thanks for posting that nightman. Hopefully this year will look like 2006 and 2007 where they got to #98 and #77 off the waitlist. If its similar to last year, I'm totally screwed. Good luck everyone!!

If for some reason you don't get in this time (or anyone) I would definitely recommend arranging an exit interview with the admission office. I did that last year after my rejection post-interview. I thought they were just going to say, "gee get ur scores up and interview better"...but they actually had some important feedback regarding community service, shadowing, etc. and they said that if my scores were good enough to get an interview then they had virtually no bearing on whether I got in after that.

I know that interviews are very important, but they still have to rank the many who did well in their interviews with something, and I think they tend to use community service and other experiences for that...just my feeling.

And, now that I've been through this twice, it's quite amazing how many people are coming out of the woodwork to tell me they applied 2 or 3 times before they made it in. If it's really what you want it's worth the commitment to keep trying, at least that's what I'm telling myself :)

... Just like a dog show. Every dog looks like it is of a good pedigree and well-groomed but somehow they pick a winner...

I like this analogy -- best I've come across yet -- but it often feels like I am aiming for the Ugliest Dog competition and my entry form was mistakenly filed with the Westminster candidates.

it often feels like I am aiming for the Ugliest Dog competition and my entry form was mistakenly filed with the Westminster candidates.

Aw, that's a sad analogy! Be nice to yourself! I take it you got the envelope of doom and gloom as well? My hubby says mine is waiting at home . . . sigh. Pretty Portland and I are just not meant to be together. :( But I'm gonna go with the old "this happened for a reason" bit and assume this is the universe's way of telling me I need to stay closer to my family now. Maybe my wanderlust will fade or maybe residency will be a better time to run as far and fast from the midwest as possible. :laugh:

Good luck to those on the WL - I hope it's a great year for WL movement! :luck:

If for some reason you don't get in this time (or anyone) I would definitely recommend arranging an exit interview with the admission office. I did that last year after my rejection post-interview. I thought they were just going to say, "gee get ur scores up and interview better"...but they actually had some important feedback regarding community service, shadowing, etc. and they said that if my scores were good enough to get an interview then they had virtually no bearing on whether I got in after that.

I know that interviews are very important, but they still have to rank the many who did well in their interviews with something, and I think they tend to use community service and other experiences for that...just my feeling.

And, now that I've been through this twice, it's quite amazing how many people are coming out of the woodwork to tell me they applied 2 or 3 times before they made it in. If it's really what you want it's worth the commitment to keep trying, at least that's what I'm telling myself :)

reezer, you're spot on! +1, :thumbup:

OHSU puts a huge emphasis on non-numbers type of things. They are also really nice with letting you know what you can improve on.

From what I understand the numbers are 20% and the interview is 80%. But the category of interview seems to include all forms of communication like essays, secondaries, and the actual oral interview. They love community service since it shows what you volunteered your free time in without gaining a paycheck. Also from what I've heard is that once you meet the minimum score (in state 2.8 GPA and 24 MCAT, vs out of state 3.6 GPA and 32 MCAT) that you are all equal. It is really the interview that makes the difference.

Aw, that's a sad analogy! Be nice to yourself! I take it you got the envelope of doom and gloom as well? My hubby says mine is waiting at home . . . sigh. Pretty Portland and I are just not meant to be together. :( But I'm gonna go with the old "this happened for a reason" bit and assume this is the universe's way of telling me I need to stay closer to my family now. Maybe my wanderlust will fade or maybe residency will be a better time to run as far and fast from the midwest as possible. :laugh:

Good luck to those on the WL - I hope it's a great year for WL movement! :luck:

Ha ha. It was more of a rhetorical statement than an attempt at self-misery. Anyways, I haven't received the letter just yet, but I can sense the 'thin envelope' is near. Oh well. I love Portland and would love, more than anything, for a reason to move back home closer to friends and family. But, as you put it, the time does not appear to be now. Best of luck at the school you're attending.

Umm no emails or anything today does that mean reject?

No correspondance over here either. Ha, what if we've hit some kind of new lower lower limit that doesn't even qualify us deserving of the $0.42 it takes to mail a letter of rejection! :laugh: Hmm... Now I'm sad. :( (I'm just joking)

um...so has anyone been admitted off the hold list yet? (dare I ask...)

Members don't see this ad :)
received my mailed rejection today. good luck to the rest of you!

Does anyone know when to expect movement on the alternate list? I know the response for people who want to stay on the alternate list is due by may 29th. Does anyone know when decisions are due on the acceptance offers that were just made for people from the hold list?

I hope this gives people on the waitlist a glimmer of hope. I was talking to some physicians I work with about the med school application process and they brought up a good point that I hadn't thought about: The current economic downturn may make tuition more of a deciding factor when applicants with multiple acceptances choose the one school they will attend. I'm going to assume that OOS students who get accepted to OHSU have strong enough applications to get acceptances elsewhere. I think it's very possible that the $60,000+ OOS cost of attendance will deter a more-than-usual number of OOS students from matriculating(nothing personal:p). Maybe we'll see an increase in the number of students accepted from the waitlist this year...

I hope this gives people on the waitlist a glimmer of hope. I was talking to some physicians I work with about the med school application process and they brought up a good point that I hadn't thought about: The current economic downturn may make tuition more of a deciding factor when applicants with multiple acceptances choose the one school they will attend. I'm going to assume that OOS students who get accepted to OHSU have strong enough applications to get acceptances elsewhere. I think it's very possible that the $60,000+ OOS cost of attendance will deter a more-than-usual number of OOS students from matriculating(nothing personal:p). Maybe we'll see an increase in the number of students accepted from the waitlist this year...

Okay, so I guess hate mail takes a little longer to reach so cal:rolleyes:. I agree with everything people have said about the process being a total crap-shoot, its pretty ridiculous. And Nightman, actually part of me is glad that I'm didn't get in because it would have been really really hard to say no, but over 4 years, it would have cost me an extra 40,000, which is a LOT of money. OHSU's out of state tuition is ridiculously high. 40 grand is a down-payment on a house, or a really nice car!

Oh well, I am a bit dissapointed, but mostly annoyed that OHSU dragged out the process this long. I mean MCW, and Wake sent me decisions exactly 2 weeks after I interviewed, and their weather in the winter isn't exactly favorable that time of year....However, I am STOKED for Wake (mmm football, basketball, tailgating...) and consider myself very, very lucky that I had multiple acceptances to choose from. I don't know if I could swallow the cost of applying again. C'est la vie. Good luck to everyone!!

Okay, so I guess hate mail takes a little longer to reach so cal:rolleyes:. I agree with everything people have said about the process being a total crap-shoot, its pretty ridiculous. And Nightman, actually part of me is glad that I'm didn't get in because it would have been really really hard to say no, but over 4 years, it would have cost me an extra 40,000, which is a LOT of money. OHSU's out of state tuition is ridiculously high. 40 grand is a down-payment on a house, or a really nice car!

Oh well, I am a bit dissapointed, but mostly annoyed that OHSU dragged out the process this long. I mean MCW, and Wake sent me decisions exactly 2 weeks after I interviewed, and their weather in the winter isn't exactly favorable that time of year....However, I am STOKED for Wake (mmm football, basketball, tailgating...) and consider myself very, very lucky that I had multiple acceptances to choose from. I don't know if I could swallow the cost of applying again. C'est la vie. Good luck to everyone!!

$40,000 will be about 3 months (or less) salary as a physician. It is not that much...especially over a 35 year career

While I appreciate the optimism NightMan, I think I would have to argue the exact opposite. History shows us that in times of economic decline, there is increased acceptance of offers of admission. I'm no great fan of OHSU for a lot of reasons, but if you look at average tuition, they are at least in the ballpark of other schools. If one were to look at other states private and public medical schools, they are all quite similar unless you are an IN-STATE resident in a very well-capitalized state, such as Texas. In the career of a physician, the differences here are negligable and represent only a fraction of the earning capabilities of one's career.

I would advise people to let tuition have no bearing of where you attend, unless you are accepted in-state and we are talking a huge amount of difference. Attend where you think you are the best fit and will have the best experience. The rest will come out in the wash as they say. If anyone is thinking of not attending OHSU based on tuition, I would carefully examine that decision. If OHSU is the right school for you, then attend there. The rest will work itself out in time. If one has a choice between schools, don't forget to recognize how fortunate you are as well!

While I appreciate the optimism NightMan, I think I would have to argue the exact opposite. History shows us that in times of economic decline, there is increased acceptance of offers of admission. I'm no great fan of OHSU for a lot of reasons, but if you look at average tuition, they are at least in the ballpark of other schools. If one were to look at other states private and public medical schools, they are all quite similar unless you are an IN-STATE resident in a very well-capitalized state, such as Texas. In the career of a physician, the differences here are negligable and represent only a fraction of the earning capabilities of one's career.

I would advise people to let tuition have no bearing of where you attend, unless you are accepted in-state and we are talking a huge amount of difference. Attend where you think you are the best fit and will have the best experience. The rest will come out in the wash as they say. If anyone is thinking of not attending OHSU based on tuition, I would carefully examine that decision. If OHSU is the right school for you, then attend there. The rest will work itself out in time. If one has a choice between schools, don't forget to recognize how fortunate you are as well!

A nearly $60,000 total cost of attendance for in-state students it terrible. It is a total slap in the face for Oregon residents. It will prevent (more) people from going into rural locations in Oregon. It was actually cheaper for me to go to an OOS location than go to OHSU (I am an Oregon resident). We have the most expensive IS tuition of ALL public schools (it is BY FAR over average). Also tuiton has been rising a HUGE amount over the last few years...I think it was something like 17% this last year. Texas has the cheapest schools with around $10,000 for tuition, and I think that a nearly $30,000 difference per year is significant. Sorry to disagree with you

A nearly $60,000 total cost of attendance for in-state students it terrible. It is a total slap in the face for Oregon residents. It will prevent (more) people from going into rural locations in Oregon. It was actually cheaper for me to go to an OOS location than go to OHSU (I am an Oregon resident). We have the most expensive IS tuition of ALL public schools (it is BY FAR over average). Also tuiton has been rising a HUGE amount over the last few years...I think it was something like 17% this last year. Texas has the cheapest schools with around $10,000 for tuition, and I think that a nearly $30,000 difference per year is significant. Sorry to disagree with you

I'm inclined to agree with you on the outrageous cost of in-state tuition. I'll be attending a private medical school, and while it's more expensive than if I'd stayed in Oregon (sniff sniff), it's not much. With OHSU's financial woes, and, uh, creative budgeting decisions, I expect that after four years, the cost will be the same as a private school. Not to mention the financial aid package is usually 100% loans, regardless of need. After 2 years as a graduate student, who was plenty financially needy, I'm almost as indebted as my four undergrad years at Stanford would have been (had they not had much more generous with grant money). A heads-up for those of you attending OHSU, if you need anything from the financial aid office that requires them to think outside their tiny boxes, be prepared for long lead times, poor communication, and some surly attitude. One bright spot in attending a different school is that I will never have to see those individuals again!

Because OHSU is the only game in town (for the state), and because Portland is such an awesome place to live, OHSU can get away with it. People will try multiple times to go to school here, usually because they're Oregonians who'd like to stay in their home state. This is exactly how I felt, even though I knew about the downsides after being a grad student in the SOM for 2 years.

Anyhow, my .02. I hope those of you attending have a wonderful experience. For those of us who didn't make it, trust me, there are reasons to look on the bright side.

does anyone know who we can call if we want to get some post-interview feedback?

ZeusonRoids, I dont think we disagree at all. I am an Oregon resident, and the way Oregon funds its universities is a joke. What I'm saying is that if you compare all of the medical schools in the United States they are not totally out of control. Let's compare apples to apples. Texas funds its universities 100% through oil endowments, that's why they are so cheap. California has 30 million plus people paying into the tax system. But Oregon has a joke of a tax system, no sales tax to bolster economic sways, and a notoriously tax phobic citizen. I don't defend OHSU, but it is what it is.

If one is interested in practicing in a rural environment, try the HRSA scholarship or OHSU's Office of Rural Health. If you are an Oregon resident, I agree its frustrating. But unless you have the academic chops to get into a school like Texas or go with one of the privates, you must take your medicine. We don't disagree-I share the frustration. In the end though, it has about zero to do with where I would choose to attend.

got my rejection letter yesterday...oh well I guess the UC's are showing me love...good luck to everyone who wants to attend OHSU:cool:

does anyone know who we can call if we want to get some post-interview feedback?

Last year I just called the admissions office, I think they set me up with Debbie Melton- she was pretty cool.

Last year I just called the admissions office, I think they set me up with Debbie Melton- she was pretty cool.
I called today, Lori told me to wait until after the end of May, as they aren't scheduling them yet. Probably want to get the waitlist under control first. I have heard mixed reviews on these. Some have told me you get rather weak, patsy answers as to why you were rejected. Others say they are constructive. It can't hurt....no matter where we all end up, feedback is a good thing to make us better med students, residents, physicians, etc.

thanks a lot reezer! that's cool they actually meet with you in person to discuss your app.

So, anybody else not yet receive a final decision (MD only) from OHSU? I know that I won't be getting an acceptance, but a rejection letter would bring closure to this whole mess and aid in the process of moving on.

So, anybody else not yet receive a final decision (MD only) from OHSU? I know that I won't be getting an acceptance, but a rejection letter would bring closure to this whole mess and aid in the process of moving on.

I'd give them a call, wepio. Or maybe wait until after the mail comes today and then if nothing, give them a call . . . seems strange that you haven't received anything yet. Did you ever get a post-interview hold notice? I don't recall you posting on that. Maybe somehow your app slipped thru the cracks and they'll feel so guilty about it you'll get an automatic acceptance! ;):xf:

I'd give them a call, wepio. Or maybe wait until after the mail comes today and then if nothing, give them a call . . . seems strange that you haven't received anything yet. Did you ever get a post-interview hold notice? I don't recall you posting on that. Maybe somehow your app slipped thru the cracks and they'll feel so guilty about it you'll get an automatic acceptance! ;):xf:

No, I never received a post-interview hold notice. Maybe it did slip through the cracks -- technically be damned, I'll take an acceptance any which way I can get it! Turn on the water-works and puppy-dog eyes, time to drive on down to Guilt Trip City.

I would like to know how some of your interviews went. I know that there is an interview feedback section on SDN, but I wanted to talk about my experience that began my journey of disgust with OHSU Admissions.

My first interview was at 9 AM with a very quiet doctor. As soon as I sat down and shook her hand, I looked at the computer screen behind her and noticed that she had already given me a score for my communication skills-- a 3, I believe. Why did she already give me a score?!! The interview hadn't even started yet!

My next interview was at 10:00. I went to the doctor's office and he told me that he was really busy that day and asked me to return at 3:00 PM. I was a little ticked to have to wait five hours , but, of course, I didn't let it show and just basically walked around campus until lunchtime, then did the tour, and then went to my interview. When I returned to his office at about 2:50 PM, I talked to him over the phone and he asked me to meet him on the west side of the skybridge. I walked over there and waited about ten minutes for him to show up. Once he did, we walked together over to the lounging area beside the tram entrance. There, in the hallway, he sat me down and we had my medical school interview.:scared: Needless to say, I was not at my best with about ten people able to hear all of my responses and listening to me try to brag about myself. I thought the interviewer would go easier on me, but he seemed annoyed that I had not done any of my own research, even though I had helped others in their research. He was a little weird to talk to, so after I had asked all of my questions, I asked him about his medical career and his reasons for choosing medicine. Also, he was from an area near my hometown, so I asked him a lot about the med school he attended. Despite my interest in his answers, he only gave me vary short, often one-sentenced answers. It was like pulling teeth talking to that guy!

Anyway, to be honest, I was not at all happy with my interview day and left that afternoon feeling very unhappy with the entire day. My interviews went okay, but both of them seemed liked they were not very good at making small talk, so I basically had to carry the entire conversation and keep it going.

Although I am somewhat bitter that I was put on the waitlist, I still don't know why their interview process seemed so horrible. The other schools I interviewed at (and have been accepted to) seemed quite professional and the interviewers were all really friendly and easy to talk to. Unfortunately, I had completely the opposite experience at OHSU.

Oh, and just to let you know, I felt as though I had a very strong application going. I had a fairly good MCAT score, the highest MCAT essay score possible, an almost perfect GPA (3.98, I think), and a lot of time spent volunteering and job shadowing with cardiac surgeons and family practitioners. In total, I probably had over two years of medically-related volunteer work and about four years of community-based volunteer work. My references were excellent and I was very highly rated by my committee letter advisor. Plus, I had many compliments at the other schools I interviewed at on my personal statement. So, I personally don't see how my application would be what held me back.

So, how did your experiences go?

Really sorry you feel rotten about your interview experience at OHSU:(

I had a really positive interview experience on the whole but I am responding because I think your second interviewer and my second interviewer may be one in the same. My second interview was scheduled for 3:00 but I was kept waiting 30-40 minutes. Admissions had forewarned me that that my interviewer may ask to meet me on the skybridge once I checked with his reception, but this didn't turn out to be the case. I felt I really stuggled with the first few questions of the interview, partly because they were questions that were phrased to require yes/no responses. Not a very chatty dude. After a couple of those I thought 'well, sod-it I'd better start giving the long version' which Im guessing what he was wanting. I really got the impression that my interviewer was testing me... pushing my comfort zone a bit. And it sounds like that what yours did too -- either intentionally or unintentionally.

As for your first interview -- scoring you before you've finished (or even started)!?

I hope you start this year at OHSU or somewhere else - as seems likely with your scores :) but if you do repeat the interview process I would say dont be afraid to communicate with admissions about your interviewer's behavior if you find it unsatisfactory. And expect the unexpected!

It's highly unlikely, but it seems like we three got the same interviewer. I too was told he liked to conduct interviews outside his office, somewhere else on campus. Anways, my guy ended up arriving a half of an hour late, then made me wait a five more minutes as he skimmed my file, proceeded to read my file during my interview as he asked the same "filler" question over and over (What do you do for a living? Where do you work? What do you do for them?" -- my response the first time already answered the following two questions). Then, during interview, his wife called and spoke with her for a little over five minutes casually and then went online. Overall the interview was like 20-minutes, which includes the time spent on the phone and internet. When I asked if the interview was over and the it felt short, his response was that he had everything he needed in my file and that he has a short attention span.

Ha ha! I guess I can't use that sob story to get me some sympathy down at admissions, then, huh?

Yeah, it sounds like our interviewer was the same guy. I believe his name was Dr. Mark Wax who is an ear, nose, and throat specialist. He has dark hair, probably about 5' 10" or so, maybe 180 lbs, and has a mustache. He said that he graduated from the University of Toronto.

Ha ha! I guess I can't use that sob story to get me some sympathy down at admissions, then, huh?

Yeah, it sounds like our interviewer was the same guy. I believe his name was Dr. Mark Wax who is an ear, nose, and throat specialist. He has dark hair, probably about 5' 10" or so, maybe 180 lbs, and has a mustache. He said that he graduated from the University of Toronto.

Funny. I was going to ask in my earlier post if your dude had a rather appropriate last name for his chosen sub-speciality! Ha ha.

I had Dr. Wax as well and my interview was actually conducted on the Sky Bridge at a table and chairs on the Bridge. He was about 30 minutes late for me as well and then took two phone calls and chatted with a couple people as they walked by during my interview. However, this didn't matter.

Here's the thing, while I agree that this behavior was unprofessional I don't think the it was detrimental to the decision process.

Throughout medical school and your career as a physician you will be pushed out of your comfort zone on a regular basis. Often, you may be nervous or unsure of yourself as you are pursuing your training and even when you become an attending down the road but you will still have to deal with difficult situations. In medicine nothing is certain, many aspects are uncomfortable and you have to learn to roll with the punches and react appropriately in many different situations. I responded to Dr. Wax's questions in detail even if they seemed to be yes/no style because if you think about it no interviewer actually wants you to give a one line or yes/no answer when discussing your previous experiences and qualifications for whatever you are interviewing for - those are basic interviewing skills. I found him quite easy to communicate with but then again, unless someone is hostile towards me I tend to be able to hold conversations with people fairly easily.

I'm really sorry you all did not have a positive experience but quite honestly I thought it was non-traditional but just fine. Maybe that is just me since I am very much a 'make the best out of the situation' type of person. Maybe, that attitude came through in my interview and was viewed positively.

I agree with you Draylon 100% -- I did not mean to give the impression my experience was a negative one. It is definitely up to us as applicants to adjust to the style of the interviewer.

Yeah, don't think that I'm incredibly angry over the interviews or anything. Besides, if you look at the time that I wrote that post filled with complaints, you'll notice that I wrote it after about 3:00 AM. I was having a really difficult time getting to sleep last night, so in my groggy state, I decided to do some venting.

I was a bit bitter when I first found out that I was going to be waitlisted, but the more I find out about the school that I've decided to go to this fall, the happier I am that I'm going there. So, I'm sure I won't be harboring these bitter feelings for too long :). I'm mainly just upset because I didn't want to have to move away from family, but I'm sure that once my wife and I arrive at our new school, we'll both be happy we ended up there.

Anyway, for those of you who got into OHSU, enjoy yourselves! I've heard a few good things about the medical school, but it is mainly the Oregon weather that I liked about OHSU.

I would like to know how some of your interviews went. I know that there is an interview feedback section on SDN, but I wanted to talk about my experience that began my journey of disgust with OHSU Admissions.

My first interview was at 9 AM with a very quiet doctor. As soon as I sat down and shook her hand, I looked at the computer screen behind her and noticed that she had already given me a score for my communication skills-- a 3, I believe. Why did she already give me a score?!! The interview hadn't even started yet!

My next interview was at 10:00. I went to the doctor's office and he told me that he was really busy that day and asked me to return at 3:00 PM. I was a little ticked to have to wait five hours , but, of course, I didn't let it show and just basically walked around campus until lunchtime, then did the tour, and then went to my interview. When I returned to his office at about 2:50 PM, I talked to him over the phone and he asked me to meet him on the west side of the skybridge. I walked over there and waited about ten minutes for him to show up. Once he did, we walked together over to the lounging area beside the tram entrance. There, in the hallway, he sat me down and we had my medical school interview.:scared: Needless to say, I was not at my best with about ten people able to hear all of my responses and listening to me try to brag about myself. I thought the interviewer would go easier on me, but he seemed annoyed that I had not done any of my own research, even though I had helped others in their research. He was a little weird to talk to, so after I had asked all of my questions, I asked him about his medical career and his reasons for choosing medicine. Also, he was from an area near my hometown, so I asked him a lot about the med school he attended. Despite my interest in his answers, he only gave me vary short, often one-sentenced answers. It was like pulling teeth talking to that guy!

Anyway, to be honest, I was not at all happy with my interview day and left that afternoon feeling very unhappy with the entire day. My interviews went okay, but both of them seemed liked they were not very good at making small talk, so I basically had to carry the entire conversation and keep it going.

Although I am somewhat bitter that I was put on the waitlist, I still don't know why their interview process seemed so horrible. The other schools I interviewed at (and have been accepted to) seemed quite professional and the interviewers were all really friendly and easy to talk to. Unfortunately, I had completely the opposite experience at OHSU.

Oh, and just to let you know, I felt as though I had a very strong application going. I had a fairly good MCAT score, the highest MCAT essay score possible, an almost perfect GPA (3.98, I think), and a lot of time spent volunteering and job shadowing with cardiac surgeons and family practitioners. In total, I probably had over two years of medically-related volunteer work and about four years of community-based volunteer work. My references were excellent and I was very highly rated by my committee letter advisor. Plus, I had many compliments at the other schools I interviewed at on my personal statement. So, I personally don't see how my application would be what held me back.

So, how did your experiences go?

Totally agree man, I was very excited to interview at OHSU and possibly attend if accepted....Until I actually had my interview. There was no structure to the interview day. I got there at 8am and literally had to wait around until my last interview around 3:30. On top of that once I heard how much emphasis the school puts on interviews, I knew they were shooting themselves in the foot. I know a lot of people who did not get into any other schools but got into OHSU no problem (when they had 28 or below on the MCAT and a 3.7 and below gpa.) Yet the people I thought were most accomplished with great MCAT/GPA and well above average ECs got rejected. It does not make sense. On top of that many of the "best" students I am talking about have been Oregon residents their entire life... The worst part about OHSU (which I have mentioned in previous posts) is the fact that they charge more than any other state school for in-state tuition BY FAR!!!. I really think that the high cost of tuition will prevent students from making the decision to practice in the rural locations in the state which is something EVERY Oregonian as well as those at OHSU know we need. I too am disgusted with OHSU and I am sure we will see OHSU slip in the ranks in the next few years.

*****This is my opinion only, and I seriously do wish those who decide to go to OHSU well.*****

Totally agree man, I was very excited to interview at OHSU and possibly attend if accepted....Until I actually had my interview. There was no structure to the interview day. I got there at 8am and literally had to wait around until my last interview around 3:30. On top of that once I heard how much emphasis the school puts on interviews, I knew they were shooting themselves in the foot. I know a lot of people who did not get into any other schools but got into OHSU no problem (when they had 28 or below on the MCAT and a 3.7 and below gpa.) Yet the people I thought were most accomplished with great MCAT/GPA and well above average ECs got rejected. It does not make sense. On top of that many of the "best" students I am talking about have been Oregon residents their entire life... The worst part about OHSU (which I have mentioned in previous posts) is the fact that they charge more than any other state school for in-state tuition BY FAR!!!. I really think that the high cost of tuition will prevent students from making the decision to practice in the rural locations in the state which is something EVERY Oregonian as well as those at OHSU know we need. I too am disgusted with OHSU and I am sure we will see OHSU slip in the ranks in the next few years.

*****This is my opinion only, and I seriously do wish those who decide to go to OHSU well.*****

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I should give up on this thread, since I'm not going to school here this fall, but since I'm still a grad student right now, and have no choice but to live and breathe OHSU, it's a little tough to totally put it behind me, even as I make cross-country moving plans.
My interview day was similar to what was described above...tons of waiting around, no structure (tour was a joke, conflicted with people's interview schedules), the admissions staff made you find your interviewers....and with as spread out as the campus is, this is not easy if you're not familiar with it. My second interview of the day, at 3 pm, was more than an hour behind schedule. I was sitting there with 2 other applicants, all waiting for the same person. I was last in line, so I had to sit with 3 autistic patients for an hour. Not to be mean....I knew if was very important to interact with them and roll with the punches, but it was an awkward, unnerving experience. After months of dreaming of gettting to go to OHSU and stay in Portland for med school, it was really disillusioning to have the actual day be so scattered. After being at other schools where the day was much better organized, the experience at OHSU was even worse by comparison.
I'm sure they're short-staffed, and I know we'll all have to deal with uncertain, less-than-ideal situations in medicine. But when they go on and on about how crucial the interview is, the level of professionalism displayed seems far below acceptable. At no other school was a single interviewer even 5 minutes late....yet at OHSU, nearly an hour seems commonplace, and there's no recourse for applicants who get less than a fair shake....they just get prematurely judged and rejected.

I don't want to take away from the happiness that accepted applicants feel. I just know that I came away from my interview feeling puzzled and a little dismayed....and I went into that day feeling happy, confident, and very passionate about going to OHSU (I had just gotten my first acceptance the day before).

I think those of us who had crappy interview experiences need to try and convey that to the admissions office (nicely). If they expect people to try multiple times for OHSU, they really ought to graduate from little league when it comes to assessing applicants and being professional.

I am so sorry some of you have been having negative experiences with OHSU.

1) Someone who interviewed here that I have been in touch with also interviewed with Dr. Wax, and he had a negative experience as well. (You might have already posted, but I wouldn't know your sdn name.) It sounds like this does warrant some communications with the Admissions Department. I can respect the fact that surgeons can't just leave the OR for an admissions interview, but it sounds like this is happening repeatedly, and he is also not conducting the interview very professionally. I would encourage you to chat with admissions about your experiences with him, as well as your reiterated experiences of how disorganized the day was for you. Obviously they are working around physicians' schedules. But it sounds like they need to be a little less flexible with the physicians.

2) As for tuition, OHSU doesn't have any corporate oil money or Harvard endowment to support the cause, so that makes it somewhat higher. Additionally, only 3% of OHSU's funds come from the state. That's a political move... Some of the repercussions are that OHSU still prioritizes in-staters when they screen the secondary, but they don't value in-staters as much as U. Mass does (100% in-state medical school class). Additionally, that 3% only goes to four departments at OHSU: Child Development & Rehabilitation Center, Poison Control Center (for three states, I think!), the Area Health Education Center/ Office of Rural Health, and the schools (med/dental/PA/nursing/etc.) Now, the dental is talking about privatizing... that's another issue in itself. Anyhow, the state coffers, as are many state's coffers, are pretty dry, so funding is being cut from everywhere, all across the state. So when the state legislature cuts funding, the School of Medicine feels it. It costs about $75,000 to educate an allopathic med student in this country. OHSU is charging about half that. Our out-of-state tuition is about right for a state school. But I agree, the in-state tuition is driving Oregonians elsewhere for school. It's an issue, and it's being worked on. But it obviously hasn't been resolved yet.

3) As for taking people who we judge are more or less deserving based on quantifiable application credentials, I don't presume to know these people, or to judge them. But I can say that OHSU does heavily weigh the subjectives (including verbal and written communications) when they evaluate candidates. And I can tell you that the caliber of people in my class is top notch. In general, they are good people, of high character, who I would trust to make good decisions and be good physicians. There are people like this in all walks of life, including at other academic health centers. However, I can't say that all the other people I've come across along the way have quite earned my respect in the same fashion as my classmates: from two undergrad institutions, one graduate institution, and two interview seasons, I have been more impressed with the caliber of people in my program than those from my other experiences. I don't know if the subjective measures correlate with the type of people in my program, but I have a lot of faith in the future physicians who will be graduating from OHSU. I don't say this to downplay the attributes of those who were not accepted. I completely agree that OHSU definitely allows great applicants to slip through the cracks; my guess is it's most likely via varied representations by interviewers who conduct interviews in a variety of ways...some great, some not so great. And who knows what your interviewer had for lunch that day--acid reflux does a number on how you evaluate people. I'm just saying that after my experiences, including attending some regional and national medical student meetings, I am consistently impressed with my classmates.

I wish you all the best of luck next year, whether it is starting at a different institution, or reapplying. I have to believe that things work out for the best; I hope that holds true for you too.

Last edited:
I am so sorry some of you have been having negative experiences with OHSU.

1) Someone who interviewed here that I have been in touch with also interviewed with Dr. Wax, and he had a negative experience as well. (You might have already posted, but I wouldn't know your sdn name.) It sounds like this does warrant some communications with the Admissions Department. I can respect the fact that surgeons can't just leave the OR for an admissions interview, but it sounds like this is happening repeatedly, and he is also not conducting the interview very professionally. I would encourage you to chat with admissions about your experiences with him, as well as your reiterated experiences of how disorganized the day was for you. Obviously they are working around physicians' schedules. But it sounds like they need to be a little less flexible with the physicians.

2) As for tuition, OHSU doesn't have any corporate oil money or Harvard endowment to support the cause, so that makes it somewhat higher. Additionally, only 3% of OHSU's funds come from the state. That's a political move... Some of the repercussions are that OHSU still prioritizes in-staters when they screen the secondary, but they don't value in-staters as much as U. Mass does (100% in-state medical school class). Additionally, that 3% only goes to four departments at OHSU: Child Development & Rehabilitation Center, Poison Control Center (for three states, I think!), the Area Health Education Center/ Office of Rural Health, and the schools (med/dental/PA/nursing/etc.) Now, the dental is talking about privatizing... that's another issue in itself. Anyhow, the state coffers, as are many state's coffers, are pretty dry, so funding is being cut from everywhere, all across the state. So when the state legislature cuts funding, the School of Medicine feels it. It costs about $75,000 to educate an allopathic med student in this country. OHSU is charging about half that. Our out-of-state tuition is about right for a state school. But I agree, the in-state tuition is driving Oregonians elsewhere for school. It's an issue, and it's being worked on. But it obviously hasn't been resolved yet.

3) As for taking people who we judge are more or less deserving based on quantifiable application credentials, I don't presume to know these people, or to judge them. But I can say that OHSU does heavily weigh the subjectives (including verbal and written communications) when they evaluate candidates. And I can tell you that the caliber of people in my class is top notch. In general, they are good people, of high character, who I would trust to make good decisions and be good physicians. There are people like this in all walks of life, including at other academic health centers. However, I can't say that all the other people I've come across along the way have quite earned my respect in the same fashion as my classmates: from two undergrad institutions, one graduate institution, and two interview seasons, I have been more impressed with the caliber of people in my program than those from my other experiences. I don't know if the subjective measures correlate with the type of people in my program, but I have a lot of faith in the future physicians who will be graduating from OHSU. I don't say this to downplay the attributes of those who were not accepted--who knows what your interviewer had for lunch that day--acid reflux does a number on how you evaluate people. I'm just saying I'm happy with who ended up here my year.

I wish you all the best of luck next year, whether it is starting at a different institution, or reapplying. I have to believe that things work out for the best; I hope that holds true for you too.

That was one of the most well-articulated postings I have seen in a long time. You completely distilled the frustration many feel about OHSU but did it in a really constructive and realistic way. We can all learn a lot from your words.

That was one of the most well-articulated postings I have seen in a long time. You completely distilled the frustration many feel about OHSU but did it in a really constructive and realistic way. We can all learn a lot from your words.

+1! I'm definitely a fan of Dr. Bubbles! :)

Just to reiterate, I think OHSU puts a huge emphasis on the subjective part of the application, essays, LORs, interviews, etc. The down-side of this approach is that how you are presented to the admissions committee totally depends on the person who interviews you, for better or for worse. Good luck to everybody, and if you decide to reapply, definitely make an appointment with Debbie Melton, she is definitely super friendly and helpful. :thumbup:

Just curious- are you going to apply again? I hope so- I'm going to apply again for this next year which will be my third time...do you (or anyone) think that applying to fewer schools this time will hurt my chances (I wast thinking like 5)?

I called, because I got impatient and was told I was receiving a letter of rejection. I applied to 5 schools this time and it was my third time applying to OHSU. I'm actually going to establish California residency and apply in 2 years after I finish my master's program. I won't be applying to OHSU again. I've heard from many people, including patients I've helped take care of who are residents there and acquaintances who are current students, who have said that the school lets in an odd bunch and that some current students regret going there. If they don't want to accept someone like me, then I don't want to be a part of that institution at all. I'll definitely be writing a letter to my state representatives though, letting them know that Oregon's ONLY medical school is deterring many qualified candidates year after year. Not ok.

I called, because I got impatient and was told I was receiving a letter of rejection. I applied to 5 schools this time and it was my third time applying to OHSU. I'm actually going to establish California residency and apply in 2 years after I finish my master's program. I won't be applying to OHSU again. I've heard from many people, including patients I've helped take care of who are residents there and acquaintances who are current students, who have said that the school lets in an odd bunch and that some current students regret going there. If they don't want to accept someone like me, then I don't want to be a part of that institution at all. I'll definitely be writing a letter to my state representatives though, letting them know that Oregon's ONLY medical school is deterring many qualified candidates year after year. Not ok.

I'm sorry OHSU hasn't been good to you and I wish you luck in the future. I do, however, think that there will be current students at every school that come to regret their decision.

Sorry to hear that PDX. Just my two cents, but if possible, try and pick another state other than California, they have way more pre-meds to med school spots than any other state I think. Texas would be the way to go, cheap tuition, tons of schools and UT Southwestern is great! :thumbup:

Again, good luck!

gosh- sounds like you've had a tough time of it- did you get an interview all three times and did you apply to different numbers of schools each time? I know it sucks to rehash, but any info I can get may help for my third time around. Good luck with Cali- enjoy the weather ;o) Who knows, maybe some other opportunities will come up for you there.
I wish you luck.

Well, I guess they found my file -- a rather anti-climactic end to their unorthodox application process. Such is life. Bonne chance à tous ceux qui ont l'espoir de leur future classe cet automne.

Merci, et bonne chance a toi, aussi!

Es-tu de France, ou Quebec? Moi, je suis Canadien.

Status
Not open for further replies.