*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone having difficulty paying the AECOM secondary? I keep getting an error, though my credit card should be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
can any of you tell me which of these schools screen and which I can apply to right away?

Albany
NYU
UCLA
Keck
Georgetown
Maryland
UCDavis
NYMC
and Yale

Thanks! btw, great thread!

Hey guys,
can any of you tell me which of these schools screen and which I can apply to right away?

Albany
NYU
UCLA
Keck
Georgetown
Maryland
UCDavis
NYMC
and Yale

Albany, NYU, NYMC, and Yale don't screen. Not sure about the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Albany
NYU
UCLA
Keck
Georgetown
Maryland
UCDavis
NYMC
and Yale

The only ones you mentioned that screened are the two UC's, UCLA and UCD.

And as far as I can tell, of the ones that DON'T screen only Albany isn't out yet.

Hey guys,

Albany
NYU
UCLA
Keck
Georgetown
Maryland
UCDavis
NYMC
and Yale

Davis and UCLA do screen.

you might want to check up on that, i submitted to columbia last week and my email message said 2009....

Again, I've totally lost track of the secondaries that came out this week. I tried to do the best I could, but there are also some threads that popped up without me noticing. PM me if I left out a URL or a prompt from the main index.

Again, I've totally lost track of the secondaries that came out this week. I tried to do the best I could, but there are also some threads that popped up without me noticing. PM me if I left out a URL or a prompt from the main index.

Just close your eyes and try to relax.

Everything is going to be okay.

random harvard seconday question:
I'm a student athlete on full scholarship, I consider my sport to be a job......since it not only legitimately pays via contract but also requires the professionalism and committment that any other job would require (if not more). I've listed my hours per week "working" during the academic year to include my athletic hours, but only those hours that are mandatory. Is there a problem if I do this?

I'm a student athlete on full scholarship, I consider my sport to be a job......since it not only legitimately pays via contract but also requires the professionalism and committment that any other job would require (if not more). I've listed my hours per week "working" during the academic year to include my athletic hours, but only those hours that are mandatory. Is there a problem if I do this?

I guess it's up to you, but I don't know if it's technically employment, as such.

I'm not a scholarship athlete, so that might be the difference. But I don't think that they meant to include that. If you are a serious athlete they will look at that and DEFINITELY consider the time commitment required. Don't worry about not having much employment if you are an athlete.

The problem you may face is that Harvard will think okay Hoya has 25+ hrs/wk for their sport and then also works 25 hrs a week. That's crazy. You don't need to consider your sport to be employment. They will NOT look over it and brush you off for slacking, they will see your team commitment and understand.

Has anyone yet heard anything about the secondary for Case Western?

Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone yet heard anything about the secondary for Case Western?

Thanks in advance. :)

Nope, I think we're all still waiting for that one too.

Anyone know if they screen?

Medical Schools are funny. Temple just sent me a secondary, and I think they held it off till today to give it to me specifically today because today is my birthday haha

Medical Schools are funny. Temple just sent me a secondary, and I think they held it off till today to give it to me specifically today because today is my birthday haha

happy birthday! hopefully you're doing something a bit more fun than filling out your secondaries!

Anybody heard from Duke University or UNC-Chapel Hill yet?

With respect to early decision applications, do all schools send out secondaries to their early decision applicants first then afterwards to regular applicants??

Just got the email for Northwestern's secondary. I started the thread and updated the index on the first page so Shemarty's head doesn't explode from all the secondary chaos. :boom:

Interestingly, they said the due date for the secondary and LORs is August 1, 2008. I'm guessing that this due date will depend on when they send the secondary to each applicant.

finally got BU and einstein.... no NYU :( then again im behind nyway. still need to write mt sinai essays before i get started on BU

I love this; from my BU secondary completion email:
"Applications are reviewed in the order in which they were completed"

So does this mean I'm behind everyone who received their invites a week earlier than me? That's not fair considering I had my essay all ready to go. They should do it in delay time of receiving the secondary.

O well

Has anyone else STILL not received a BU secondary? I'm still waiting on BU, Tufts, and Tulane. Starting to get worried. Oh and I also had trouble w/ the credit card payment for AECOM. After two errors, I went back and changed to check payment. I'm going to call and make sure I wasn't charged by some error as well, thought I don't think I was.

Has anyone else STILL not received a BU secondary? I'm still waiting on BU, Tufts, and Tulane. Starting to get worried. Oh and I also had trouble w/ the credit card payment for AECOM. After two errors, I went back and changed to check payment. I'm going to call and make sure I wasn't charged by some error as well, thought I don't think I was.

i have bu but im still waiting for tufts and tulane as well. it makes me a bit nervous, but i'm sure we'll get them soon. in the meantime, you have the prompts, so you can work off of those.

Also, just got my prelim "we've received your primary" e-mail from UNC. Anyone else?

just got case western

Also, just got my prelim "we've received your primary" e-mail from UNC. Anyone else?

I did as well, the first one didnt work so I had them send me the .pdf link. Are you out of state? Do you have any idea of the timeframe we looking at?

I cant do these (secondaries) anymore! :(

Does Harvard screen for secondaries? I assume they do?

Harvard does NOT screen.

Just got the email for Northwestern's secondary. I started the thread and updated the index on the first page so Shemarty's head doesn't explode from all the secondary chaos. :boom:

Interestingly, they said the due date for the secondary and LORs is August 1, 2008. I'm guessing that this due date will depend on when they send the secondary to each applicant.

Aah, thanks!!

I think if I hadn't read this post, I would have tried to update the index, seen that it was already updated, and be really confused. :confused:

The only ones you mentioned that screened are the two UC's, UCLA and UCD.

And as far as I can tell, of the ones that DON'T screen only Albany isn't out yet.

ah ok thanks you guys. One more thing, I'm not American, so I'm not really familiar with the process in the States as well, so I guess I just wanted to know how much weight or emphasis is placed on the answers we give in our secondaries? I'm just not sure how much time I should place on these since there are so many and I know that the goal of this game is to get them in as soon as possible,so should I spend more time and do them really well or do them well and get them in sooner...

ah ok thanks you guys. One more thing, I'm not American, so I'm not really familiar with the process in the States as well, so I guess I just wanted to know how much weight or emphasis is placed on the answers we give in our secondaries? I'm just not sure how much time I should place on these since there are so many and I know that the goal of this game is to get them in as soon as possible,so should I spend more time and do them really well or do them well and get them in sooner...

Hahaha can you do them REALLY well and spend no time?
Seriously though, unfortunately the process is so incredibly competitive at this point that no one will ever tell you to let something go, whether it's timing or the quality of your secondary essays. Sure, no one really knows how much those things count anyway, especially when compared to the personal statement, but I think it's probably wise to be careful about their quality anyway, simply cause, well, you never know. It is also the best thing for your peace of mind: you don't want to arrive at the end of the application year and wonder if the reason why you weren't as successful as you thought was because you hadn't spent enough time on the essays. So never sacrifice quality, but get them out as quickly as possible.

That being said, my own pre-med adviser told me AdComs don't actually start meeting up until August. I think a lot of schools are still finalizing the list for this year, and until that's done they won't even begin to think about next year's applicants. Some secondaries won't even be out until mid- to late-August! As a good rule of thumb, it's best to be early for those schools that have rolling admissions, but for the other ones, well, it's not actually as important. That doesn't mean that you should take your sweet time, but you might want to avoid getting caught up in the SDN paranoia of being complete at every school by the end of July. It's helpful, sure, mostly cause you'll hopefully be in the first batch they read, and because you'll have it out of your way, but even if you don't get most stuff in until mid-August, IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

Alright, I ramble on too much. Good luck!

Does anyone know the UCLA PRIME, UCLA DREW or USC prompts?

Hey guys,

Before another hectic week of secondaries begins, can everybody please check out the 1st page and send me a PM if I'm missing any URLs or Prompts?

Thanks!

just got an email.

doesn't appear to be any essays at first glance. but...i'm at work and can't really look at it fully at the moment
EDIT: in addition to the usual stuff...
If you have previously applied to Albany Medical College and were not accepted, how have you spent the intervening time? (1,000 character limit)
Describe yourself: (1,000 character limit)
If selected for an interview, what one life experience would you most like to talk about? (160 character limit) If your school has a Premedical Advisory Committee but you are not using that service,
please indicate why: (1,000 character limit)

Does anyone know what the deal is with Rush? When are they going to make their thing available?

I ask because on their schedule it says July... And we are pretty deep into July at this point.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Rush? When are they going to make their thing available?

I ask because on their schedule it says July... And we are pretty deep into July at this point.
O i talked to the dean...he said july 31, 11:59 PM, lol

You must select and respond to one question out of each of the three following groups. 250-500 Words

Group I

1. The Admissions Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important and/or other factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, race, culture, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
    2. During review of applications the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class and also the potential of an applicant to contribute to society. Please describe what you have to offer in this regard.
    3. You have been given the opportunity to share dinner conversation with one person (alive or deceased) who has made a significant contribution to science or medicine. Identify the person you would select and why?
Group II

• A. Thinking about your development and preparation for a career in medicine, which non-science college course has been most valuable? Why?
    1. Describe the essential qualities that you look for in a physician.
    2. Based upon your preparation for a medical career and your experiences in the health care field, what potential problems do you anticipate you will face as a physician?

Group III
    • A. Write a brief autobiography which provides a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. Identify the values that are of the greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please describe what you have done or have been doing since graduation.
    • B. From among the activities and experiences listed on your AMCAS application, please select one that has most impacted your decision to choose a career in medicine. Describe your role in the activity/experience and how this activity helped you make your decision.
    • C. Each applicant has goals they want to accomplish as a physician. They also have their own dreams with regards to what they hope to accomplish in their lifetime. Describe how you would want to be remembered at the end of your life.
Group IV (Only reapplicants must answer this question.)

1. What is your understanding of why you have not been accepted to medical school thus far? What have you done to increase the likelihood that you will be accepted this year

3 LORs and 50 bucks

I like waynestate. There essays are alot more fun, meaningful, and thought provoking then the typical "why x medical school." Or "describe how increase the diversity of the class"

anyone insanely burnt out? i have at least 2-3 backlogged secondaries, worried about northwestern's early deadline even though i havent received it yet and i want to do it sleep and watch tv

-Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.

-what do you believe will be your greatest strength as a physician? greatest weakness?

-how would you contribute to student diversity

-why do you feel RFU is the "best fit" for your learning style and personality

Me: When will you begin to send secondary applications to applicants?
UCLA: 2nd week of August.

anyone insanely burnt out? i have at least 2-3 backlogged secondaries, worried about northwestern's early deadline even though i havent received it yet and i want to do it sleep and watch tv

Haha.. you only have 2-3 backlogged and you're stressed?? I think I'm chuggin' away at 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.