2008-2009 UMDNJ - NJMS Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.If you are not a resident of New Jersey please complete the following:.
. .
.3a. Please describe the specific and/or unique reasons you have applied to NJMS..
. .
.3b. Do you have any current or past connections to New Jersey? .
.(i.e. family, friends, previous residence, etc.).

Members don't see this ad.

As for the recommendations, I see they require two science and one liberal arts college faculty. It says excpetions can be made on an individual basis...do you know what the criteria for this exception is?

And, do you think they'd take a two science and a sociology teacher's recommendations?

As for the recommendations, I see they require two science and one liberal arts college faculty. It says excpetions can be made on an individual basis...do you know what the criteria for this exception is?

And, do you think they'd take a two science and a sociology teacher's recommendations?

That sounds like it's the same thing as what they want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent it off yesterday. How can we check on the status of it? Is there a tracking page?

ignore this, im doing administrative stuff

i got an interview invite on august 14th. i scheduled it for august 26th!! eeek! so soon!! anyone have advice for interviewing at nj med?

I interviewed with them last year. Dress nice, be punctual, be polite, be yourself.

The toughest question I had to deal with was why I made a particular move. The only reason it was tough is because I moved for a girl (oops). My interviewer was very gracious about the whole thing.

I got on waitlist last year. I actually have an interview with them tomorrow, so here's hoping!

so yeah, had my interview today. No news (good or otherwise) until October 15th. If you want more info I'll do my best to tell you.

How did it go? What kind of questions did they ask you? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
How did it go? What kind of questions did they ask you? :D

Well, I'm a weird case in that I applied there last year and I'm a post-bacc. We spent a lot of time talking about what I had done since college and what made me different now than when I was in college. That part was really the weakest part of the interview since I couldn't remember the specific years I did one thing over another.

We spent some time on "why medicine?" and not some other service career. I was still a little tripped up from the history portion so I don't think I came across as well as I wanted to in this part either :/

Then we got talking about the work I was doing now and the kind of doctor I wanted to be. That's where the interview went really well. I currently work in a physical therapy office and I absolutely love the patient contact and the work we do there. I felt that put forth a really strong positive vibe (which makes sense because I honestly love it). Once we got onto that stuff the time flew by and before I knew it it was over.

She seemed very warm when we said goodbye so I'm hoping it went well. But yeah, Luciana said I wouldn't know anything, good or bad, until october 15th.

Thanks for sharing! I pray that you get an acceptance. :love:

thanks for sharing! did you only interview with luciana? ive got my interview next tuesday and im really excited! thanks again and good luck!

Sorry, no, I interviewed with an ophthalmologist. Luciana just told me the info post-interview.

After you scheduled you interview, did they send you some sort of confirmation by mail or email? I heard you get a letter with details for the interview...

what does the letter tell you and how long after scheduling an interview does it arrive?

Luciana called me up and told me when they had a slot available. This was thursday and the interview was the upcoming monday. She then emailed me a confirmation. There was a tour and a free lunch but since I had done it the previous year and needed to get back to work, I didn't take them up on it (it didn't affect the applications they said).

oh and krispy, thanks for the well wishes. I hope I get in too!

yep it's me. Just livin' the dream

Congrats to anybody who has an interview invite from this or any other school so far!

Remember to post them on the interview invite threads :) It's helpful for other SDN members, not only this year but also in the future!

Thanks!

Not sure if this was directed at me or the list in general, but NJMS can't tell me yay or nay until October 15th, so unfortunately no news from them.

I did get four other interview invites though, so that's good news :)

How is your process going Krispy?

Hi everyone,

I haven't heard from NJMS in a while- do the not put people on hold? Do they just wait until the very end to send out rejections and that may be the only time you hear from them? I'm surprised it's been over a month and I haven't heard anything... and I'm a NJ resident.... is that odd??

TX!

I haven't heard anything either and I've sent the check 2nd week of August. I'm also a NJ resident...

I 've sent it around the same time as RWJ and heard from the school already and had an interview this week.

I'm wondering what's going on...

Can anyone tell me some updates on UMDNJ - Newark? Anyone heard anything? In the interview feedback, I read some people who had interviews.

I am worried and beginning to think that it is a rejection from the school.

ISSAERIE, have you heard back from the school yet?

If you are OOS, don't expect to hear anything until the end of the year, or maybe even next year..

The admissions office told me they take care of their IS first before looking OOS files...

Wish NY schools were like that..

boooooo~ for some reason i thought UMDNJ is a OOS-friendly school. I just opened up my US News book, and in 2005, OOS acceptance rate was 3.3% while IS acceptance rate was 31.4%. Dammit. TOTAL WASTE OF MY MONEY :( :( :( :(

I am IS.
I'm just wondering if it is a rejection because I submitted the application the same time as RWJ. I heard back from RWJ 9/15 or so with an interview, but nothing from Newark.

Are there possibly more applicants at Newark?

Sorry... I'm just a bit frustrated, worried, and freaking out because so many people on SDN have tons of interviews already...

anybody had any recent interviews at NJMS or at RWJMS ?. Did you guys hear anything back from either of them ?.

I am IS.
I'm just wondering if it is a rejection because I submitted the application the same time as RWJ. I heard back from RWJ 9/15 or so with an interview, but nothing from Newark.

Are there possibly more applicants at Newark?

Sorry... I'm just a bit frustrated, worried, and freaking out because so many people on SDN have tons of interviews already...

Don't freak out, I'm IS and I called a little while ago and they told me my application hasn't even been reviewed yet. I guess they are just taking things slowly.

On a side note, I was complete at RWJ on 8/15 and just got an interview invite today. So I think they just have a really variable review process at both schools.

boooooo~ for some reason i thought UMDNJ is a OOS-friendly school. I just opened up my US News book, and in 2005, OOS acceptance rate was 3.3% while IS acceptance rate was 31.4%. Dammit. TOTAL WASTE OF MY MONEY :( :( :( :(

It's even worse in the latest edition. USNews doesn't have "accepted" #s this year, but if you use the same ratios for accepted:matriculated that RWJ has, they accepted about 27% of IS, and 1% of OOS!

I'm from NY, and my odds are materially better at places like Kansas and Michigan State. (Meanwhile, I'm sure there are a TON of NJ students at the NY schools.)

I was waitlisted at NJMS last year...I completed their app the minute i got it and still haven't heard anything. Dean Heinrich said there would be a "high chance" that they would interview me again this year. Has anyone else who was waitlisted last year got interviewed so far this year?

Hey guys. I just wanted to write this message to reassure any of you that are waiting on NJMS. I had my interview in late September and when I asked Dr. H about why I still havnt heard anything he told me that the staff is really behind on apps. Dont stress yourselfves guys, itll only hurt you.

Got my interview invite today :thumbup:

Interviewing on 11/18.

interviewing tomorrow :)

anyone else gonna be there?

Interviewed today...:thumbup:

Anyone know when the next NJMS adcom meeting is? I was told i would hear within 6-8 weeks...thats so long though! :scared:

o...funny thing i was supposed to interview with one faculty member but he was 40 minutes late so they set me up with some other prof who didn't even have time to read my file and i ended up missing the tour but managed to get a student interview. My student interviewer was nice enough to show me around a bit which was very kind of her.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed today! I know there are some lurkers out there :luck:

does anyone know if they have started giving invites out to oos?

Hey guys, I interviewed in mid october at NJMS. Still waiting to hear from them. Since it is almost 6-8 weeks, I'm worried. Anybody interviewed in the same time and gotten any word ?

i called a few days ago and they confirmed that they have been reviewing oos applicants.

Due to financial issues, I sent in my check 3 weeks ago. I sent an e-mail update this week, and the next day, got an interview invitation. My interview is Monday. Coincidence? Perhaps, but it can't hurt.

(BTW, I am an IS 32R/3.8, wait listed last year)

I interviewed last year and was wait-listed midway through application season. This year I completed my app September 5th and interviewed October 6th.

I amstill waiting to hear back from them... it has been close to 10 weeks now. I know there's been a large applicant pool. Has anyone waited as long as I have so far? :cool: ...should i be giving up hope or keep holding on???

I got my acceptance on Oct 15 (6 weeks after interviewing). I would expect them to be much more busy now (middle of the season) so 10 weeks seems fine. Don't worry; wait until 12 weeks and than call them if you want. IMO.

i interviewed 11/18.

anyone think its likely ill hear something by new year? :xf:

I sent my LOR to UMDJ twice but still they are claiming they did not receive. Any advice on what to do I am about to go nuts.:mad::mad:

I had to call NJMS to find out if I was complete is that usual way of finding out things. They don't communicate. My file was complete since dec 1st. guys who already had interviews what is process and how do these two schools communicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.