2008-2009 UMDNJ - NJMS Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mets1986, how was the rwj interview? stressful? do they seem to focus on any specific area? do you have any helpful hints of how you prepared or any other interview advice for rwj??

Members don't see this ad.

hey all,
i interviewed at NJMS in late oct, still no word....
also interviewed at RWJ in mid Dec.

this is interesting.

how ironic...

waitlisted this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was pretty bad weather on Tuesday afternoon/evening in the Newark area. I wonder if they cancelled or postponed the adcom meeting. Anybody hear anything about this?

got the wonderful letter in the mail

It was pretty bad weather on Tuesday afternoon/evening in the Newark area. I wonder if they cancelled or postponed the adcom meeting. Anybody hear anything about this?
Really ?. How did you find out ?. Anyway, let us know what happened

anybody got accepted this week at NJMS ?. And anybody know when adcom meeting next ?.

I interviewed in late October and got called back for a SECOND interview. Did that happen to anyone else? I'm just curious because when I asked them why I was called back no one seemed to know.

I interviewed in late October and got called back for a SECOND interview. Did that happen to anyone else? I'm just curious because when I asked them why I was called back no one seemed to know.
It seems you had your first inetrview on 10/29 and second on the 1/02. Have you gotten any updates after that ?. Did you have the same person for the second interview ?. I heard they interview twice for some. Anyway good luck to you.

It seems you had your first inetrview on 10/29 and second on the 1/02. Have you gotten any updates after that ?. Did you have the same person for the second interview ?. I heard they interview twice for some. Anyway good luck to you.

Thanks - No updates since then. It was a different person for each interview - both physicians, not students. The first interviewer was pretty young. The second, I'm pretty sure, was actually on the committee.

Anybody got accepted last week at NJMS ?. And anybody know when adcom meeting next ?. It seems they didn't meet last week.

Last Tuesday, 1/6, the weather was really icy, especially in the afternoon and evening. I read on another thread that both UMDNJ schools have adcom meetings on Tuesdays around 3 or 4. I don't know if they met or not. Seems like if they did not meet it would be tough to get all the members to meet at another time during the week, they probably just cancelled it. This is all speculation but I have to do something while I sit here twiddling my thumbs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got the answer for my hopes in the mail. I'm on the alternate list and will be reviewed in MID-JUNE. Some of you mentioned about waiting list. Are they both same ?. And also is there a ranking for those who are on the list ?.

Alternate list = Wait List

They review the alternate list in June, because they have to see how many open spots they may have. Last year, all spots were filled by initial acceptances, therefore they did not go to the wait list. After having a larger class last year, I'd assume that they would be a little more restrictive in giving acceptances, and will take a few wait listers, but who knows.

Alternate list = Wait List

They review the alternate list in June, because they have to see how many open spots they may have. Last year, all spots were filled by initial acceptances, therefore they did not go to the wait list. After having a larger class last year, I'd assume that they would be a little more restrictive in giving acceptances, and will take a few wait listers, but who knows.
Is there a ranking in the list ?.

anyone still waiting? better yet, has anyone waited 8+ weeks and gotten in?
good luck to all!

It seems like they're not accepting anyone that interviewed since early Nov...

hey all, i interviewed on 10/21 got wait listed on 12/31

interviewed in Nov...on wait list...any suggestions? does it help to repeatedly send letters to admissions office, etc??

interviewed in Nov...on wait list...any suggestions? does it help to repeatedly send letters to admissions office, etc??
It seems most of us are on the waiting list. Aren't they accepting anymore ?. Anybody know whether the class is already filled up ?. I'm really worried.

It seems most of us are on the waiting list. Aren't they accepting anymore ?. Anybody know whether the class is already filled up ?. I'm really worried.

maybe someone can call and ask. not it;)

well i just withdrew my alternate spot so as more people do that there could be some movement...

i agree its like everyone who interview into Nov is being "alternate"-ed....maybe it is full!

well i just withdrew my alternate spot so as more people do that there could be some movement...

i agree its like everyone who interview into Nov is being "alternate"-ed....maybe it is full!
I hope the class is not full

I think they might just be playing their hand close to their chest...doesn't the acceptance:interview ratio seem very low this year compared to last (as reported by SDN users in the acceptance/interview threads)?

I think they might just be playing their hand close to their chest...doesn't the acceptance:interview ratio seem very low this year compared to last (as reported by SDN users in the acceptance/interview threads)?
But why waitlist people who had their interviews relatively early, like in October, November and December ?

They are probably very fearful of over accepting because they overbooked last year. Waitlisting people will give them more control over the process, and I cannot believe that the class I completely full unles they differed a lot of people from last year and still over accepted by 20. I really hope the class is not full, but I think someone should call and ask!

hey guys,I work at UMDNJ and someone who interviews for the school told me
that this year has been extremely crazy as far as competitiveness goes. They are probably not interviewing that many people from here on in.

and medgrl30,
when are your Drexel and NYMC interivews. I haveinterviews from those schools as well.Drexel is on Jan 16th and NYMC - 3/31

Interviewed 12/5 and thought it went well, but all the better-qualified people who interviewed earlier here being waitlisted are making me not so optimistic.

This is my only interview so far.

Anyone else in the Early December Interview boat to wait with me?

I interviewed in Novermber and was waitlisted, too.

They say that they will start taking people off the waitlist in mid-June. Do we really have to wait until then? Have they ever in the past taken people off before that?

It seems one got the acceptance call yesterday. Good for him or her. Atleast we know that they are still accepting students. I hope the waitlist moves quick too.

I think I read on another thread that NJMS has adcom meetings on tuesday afternoons and make the acceptance calls after that but I think that was incorrect. I went back and looked at the acceptance thread and none of the dates match up the a tuesday. The dates are sundays, mondays, thursdays, saturdays and everything except tuesday. I think I need a hobby but I'll just keep sitting by my phone. Waiting almost 10 weeks now.

I think I read on another thread that NJMS has adcom meetings on tuesday afternoons and make the acceptance calls after that but I think that was incorrect. I went back and looked at the acceptance thread and none of the dates match up the a tuesday. The dates are sundays, mondays, thursdays, saturdays and everything except tuesday. I think I need a hobby but I'll just keep sitting by my phone. Waiting almost 10 weeks now.
Hey check the acceptance thread. One got the acceptance yesterday, on a holiday-MLK day !!!. They can call at anytime.

It seems one got the acceptance call yesterday. Good for him or her. Atleast we know that they are still accepting students. I hope the waitlist moves quick too.

thanks for pointing this out njmed. that's good news. I guess that person's been waiting since oct 15th, wow!

Anyone know how to politely tell them to take you off the wait list? I don't want to hold someone else's spot when I know I will not be attending. Email fine? Snail mail required? Best of luck to everyone.

Anyone know how to politely tell them to take you off the wait list? I don't want to hold someone else's spot when I know I will not be attending. Email fine? Snail mail required? Best of luck to everyone.

Either way should be fine. Just make sure their acknowledge it with some sort of response.

I withdrew with an e-mail in which I mentioned I'd be happy to mail/fax any additional documentation if necessary, and they found the e-mail sufficient.

Best of luck to those of you still waiting!! I had a wonderful interview day at NJMS. My interviewer was amazing-she brought me up to her lab, showed me around and such. Seems like a wonderful place.

Hang in there, everyone!:luck:

Interviewed 12/5, Waitlisted 1/22 :(

Did anyone called the admissions office ?. Don't they look at the waiting list before June ?? It is unbelievable that they are going to keep us like this for almost five months

They are probably very fearful of over accepting because they overbooked last year. Waitlisting people will give them more control over the process, and I cannot believe that the class I completely full unles they differed a lot of people from last year and still over accepted by 20. I really hope the class is not full, but I think someone should call and ask!
medgrl30, How was your other interviews (I think drexel, NYMC, RWJMS) ?. I hope it went well. I have an interview at drexel in Feb. Any advise ?

Last edited:
My interview with Drexel is in Feb. I thought the RWJ interview went well, but I'm not going to hold my breath since I thought the same for NJMS.

I emailed Dr. Heinrich to ask why I was waitlisted, and he replied saying that this year was extremely competitive and I applied late (complete in October!).

So I take that to mean that either they filled the class really early or they're saving some seats for exceptional candidates, but have otherwise filled the class.

Also, the committee meets on Thursdays, not Tuesdays.

I'm pretty pissed at the professor who took 3 months to write a LOR and delayed the processing of my app...

I emailed Dr. Heinrich to ask why I was waitlisted, and he replied saying that this year was extremely competitive and I applied late (complete in October!).

So I take that to mean that either they filled the class really early or they're saving some seats for exceptional candidates, but have otherwise filled the class.

I'm pretty pissed at the professor who took 3 months to write a LOR and delayed the processing of my app...

Thanks for the info Nkat. Sorry about your waitlist, hopefully one of your other schools will come through :)

Oh man...that makes me worry:(. Did he mention anything else such as what to do next ?. I can't believe it, because they started waitlisting people early around November. I'm still hoping the class isn't full.

How could they fill the class by November? Did they accept everyone they interviewed before then?

How could they fill the class by November? Did they accept everyone they interviewed before then?
Ya..It is unbelievable, isn't it ?. Why then interview all of us ?..just to waitlist ??...this is really frustrating.:(

something just seems fishy about the whole situation...

something just seems fishy about the whole situation...
According to one of the previous poster (Ncat), Dr. H has said that the person applied late (who was complete in oct). Oh...well....

i got the waitlist letter yesterday. it was close to 10 weeks after my interview and i was complete in October as well. hope it moves for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.