2008-2009 UMDNJ - NJMS Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank u tpjunkie. Will wait to read what you find out. That was a more uplifting information.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I am recent graduate of the GSBS at NJMS, and am currently waitlisted. I thought I'd update this thread with the info I know about the current admissions cycle.

1) As previously stated, they over-admitted, badly last year (class size of 197 with a target size of 170). An effort was made this year to prevent that from happening again. When I last spoke with Dr. Heinrich a few weeks back he was fairly confident that the waitlist would be moving this year. Anecdotal evidence tends to agree with that assessment. Of the three candidates outright accepted in the regular decision process from my program (that I happen to know), they are all going elsewhere (Drexel, Wake Forest, RWJ). A good number of us in the program were waitlisted though.

2) That being said, they are also aware that any movement will be within reason. Letters are going out to waitlisted candidates that they know will not be needed. As the summer moves along, more letters may go out informing waitlisted candidates that they will not be getting in.

3) The waitlist isn't ranked as such, candidates are grouped into pools, from what I gathered from Dr. Heinrich. I am not sure if this has been completed for the entire waitlist yet or what, but from my own experience and that of what I have heard from others, Dr. Heinrich may be able to give you a general idea of where on the list you stand.

4) I will be dropping by the admissions office this week and I will see what info I can gather on how the adcom's meetings post 5/15 have been and when the first waitlisted candidates can expect some good news.

Good Luck everyone!
Thanks for the update. Are they sending rejection letters to waitlisted applicants even before June 15th ?.

Thats what Dr. Heinrich seemed to indicate. The way he described it was that as it became apparent through the summer that a certain number of candidates would not be needed, candidates starting at the bottom of the waitlist would get letters indicating they would not be getting in, and that this could occur several times as they get a clearer picture of how many students they will need.

I will be speaking with some people in admissions tomorrow around lunchtime, so if I find out anything helpful I'll post an update.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well.

My meeting was supposed to be with Mercedes Rivera. The office called while I was driving in to lab that she couldn't make it, but Dr. Heinrich could.

Long story short, I got accepted in person.

The waitlist IS moving this year. If you're on it, I highly suggest you shoot Dr. Heinrich an email. Showing interest is beneficial to your application.

I am in somewhat of a daze right now. But yeah, the list is moving, so this should give everyone some hope! Good luck to all!

Well.

My meeting was supposed to be with Mercedes Rivera. The office called while I was driving in to lab that she couldn't make it, but Dr. Heinrich could.

Long story short, I got accepted in person.

The waitlist IS moving this year. If you're on it, I highly suggest you shoot Dr. Heinrich an email. Showing interest is beneficial to your application.

I am in somewhat of a daze right now. But yeah, the list is moving, so this should give everyone some hope! Good luck to all!

I think you're the first on the waitlist to go...

I was just told by Dr. Heinrich that they don't expect to take many applicants from the alternate list this season. I'm going to be meeting with him soon, so I'll let you all know if I learn anything relevant.

According to tpjunkie, Dr.H said waitlist will be moving this year. According to NKat, Dr.H said they don't expect to take many applicants off the waitlist. So whats going to happen ?

According to tpjunkie, Dr.H said waitlist will be moving this year. According to NKat, Dr.H said they don't expect to take many applicants off the waitlist. So whats going to happen ?

The statements aren't contradictory. It sounds like the waitlist will move, but not a whole lot. I don't think we should get our hopes up too much. As I said, I'll let you know if I find out anything else when I meet with him.

What constitutes "a few" 5? 10? 20? If they give out 300 initial acceptances, 20 might be seen as a few. If the waitlist itself has 200 people in it, 20 might be seen as a few. If you are in group 100-120, then 20 is certainly a few. If you are in the top 40, then 20 is a heck of a lot.

Or perhaps, that is Dr. Heinrich's way of tempering our hope. We've been on this list waiting for 6+ months, and even if they take 30, 85% of the waitlisters will be told no, assuming a list of 200. If the pools haven't been made yet or he doesn't have ready access to them, it is better to be safe and underestimate the number they will be taking when asked.

In the end, while we can try to influence their decision a little, we are all going to have to sit back and be patient.

By the way NKat, when is your meeting with Dr. Heinrich? I'm thinking about setting up a meeting, but if you have yours early in the week, I might wait and see how it goes before scheduling something.

He told me he's usually around on Thursdays. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I can get an appointment for this week. I'm not so optimistic about this season, but am hoping that meeting with him might improve my chances for next season.

Dr. Heinrich is not available to meet until July, according to whoever I talked to in his office.

Quick question you guys. When setting up an appt. with Dr. Heinrich, what have you been asking to discuss? I'm just curious. I'm hoping to get in with him once he's available in July. I guess I wanted to phrase it as an academic consult, but I'm not quite sure what the format of the meeting would be and all that.

What have you all been doing in this regard? Is it just "Hi, I'm nervous about the cycle, just had some questions... yada yada yada," or more along the lines of "I just wanted to introduce myself and make sure I am doing everything possible" ?

I'm meeting with Dr. Heinrich because my school had no premed advising and he encouraged me to come in, so I'm not sure, if you didn't have a specific reason to meet with him, what it would be about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody met with Dr.H or any others ?. Any movement in the alternate list ?.

I got accepted a little over a week ago after being wait listed in January. I interviewed late November.

Good luck to all of those who are waiting! :luck: Make sure you touch base with Dr. H to express your interest. It definitely can't hurt.

I got accepted a little over a week ago after being wait listed in January. I interviewed late November.
Hey congrats:). Did you get a call from Dr.H and when was it ?.

Good luck to all of those who are waiting! :luck: Make sure you touch base with Dr. H to express your interest. It definitely can't hurt.
How do we show interest ( I mean, write a LOI or email ?). Thanks

Hey guys, It is mid-June. According to the alternate list letter, the list should be moving now. Two people (atleast from SDN) got in already. No more ?. Will it be like last year ?.

I got a chance to speak with Dr. Heinrich.

He basically interviewed me again, and then told me that they expect very little movement this year (he said they've accepted "a few" so far), but it's hard to tell this early since some shuffling could happen.

He said that in previous years, almost everyone taken from the waitlist has been taken before July.

I think we probably shouldn't keep our hopes up. I'm sending in my new app in the next few days.

Similarly to katinthehat I interviewed late November, was waitlisted in January, and then accepted off the waitlist two Thursdays ago. I was a recent GSBS graduate, with a 4.0 gpa, and honored in physio and MGM (med school classes at NJMS). Dr. H told me that "they had wanted to accept me back in Nov, but it was late in the process (? Nov is late) and by that time they had filled up most of the class, and they were waiting for a spot to open up for me." Luckily for me someone withdrew and he called me. I have a hard time believing that Nov was late in the process, but I know NJMS do their reviews at a fast pace. From the whole convo with him and pure speculation I would say that there will probably <10 spots that will open up off the wait list (prolly like 4-5). They pretty much have their class and schools know where students have multiple accepts and are gently forcing them to make a decision (I got an email from the other school I was accepted and told me to make a decision in 7 days...). Hope this experience/rambling helps

Just got the acceptance call this week. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you!

does anyone know how long the waitlist is?

I'm a linkage applicant (postbac who did a late early decision through my school) and I called today and they said they haven't made a decision on my application. meaning i'm not waitlisted or rejected...just in limbo...

anyways they said they would let me know in 2-3 weeks, but i just wanted to get an idea of what my chances are...

I got accepted about two weeks ago. So much of a relief. I'm so happy and excited. Getting the call from Dr.H is an amazing moment. Good luck to all. Thanks all of you for keeping us all informed about the updates.

have hope!

i just got in off of the waitlist today, i agree the call from Dr. H was crazy.....my stats were 3.34 GPA and 32 MCAT. interviewed last november, waitlisted december, accepted july 5.

talking to Dr. H made a huge difference, i spoke to him over the phone last thursday and got in today...

if the call comes in on your phone as 'restricted' - pick it up immediately!

have hope!

i just got in off of the waitlist today, i agree the call from Dr. H was crazy.....my stats were 3.34 GPA and 32 MCAT. interviewed last november, waitlisted december, accepted july 5.

talking to Dr. H made a huge difference, i spoke to him over the phone last thursday and got in today...

if the call comes in on your phone as 'restricted' - pick it up immediately!
Congrats. Ya...when he called my cell phone, the caller ID read "withheld".

I got accepted about two weeks ago. So much of a relief. I'm so happy and excited. Getting the call from Dr.H is an amazing moment. Good luck to all. Thanks all of you for keeping us all informed about the updates.

Congrats to you!!!!:D

Congrats!

I'm really glad to hear that it worked out for you this cycle!

Congrats!

I'm really glad to hear that it worked out for you this cycle!
Thanks NKat. Ya...finally it did. Are you going to Rosalind Franklin this year ?. Good luck.

Thanks NKat. Ya...finally it did. Are you going to Rosalind Franklin this year ?. Good luck.

Unless I get into NJMS. Thanks. You too.

Does anyone know if NJMS is still accepting off of the wait list? I received an E-mail from Ms. Rivero 2 weeks ago asking me to update them on anything I did after my interview. I still have not heard back from anyone yet.
Did anyone else get the same email?

Does this school average multiple mcat exams or does it take most recent?

Does anyone know if NJMS is still accepting off of the wait list? I received an E-mail from Ms. Rivero 2 weeks ago asking me to update them on anything I did after my interview. I still have not heard back from anyone yet.
Ya I got one of those post interview activities emails too. I got accepted about two to three weeks later. So don't lose hope. Good luck

Yes, I received that email about 2 weeks ago and replied with another LOI (I had sent a few previously), however I have not heard back from them yet. Also, as far as I know, Dr. Heinrich is not available for phone consultations until early September (I can't go the department in person as I do not currently live in the area). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.