2008-2009 University of South Carolina (USC) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you all for your responses! glad to know I am not the only one doing it by hand :D

Members don't see this ad.

I just sent in my AMCAS on 10/20 and got a secondary today and an interview invite!! Is this normal? I am IS but didn't go to USC for undergrad. Anyways, my interview is in a few weeks and I am very excited!

Congrats to everyone already accepted!:D

I just sent in my AMCAS on 10/20 and got a secondary today and an interview invite!! Is this normal? I am IS but didn't go to USC for undergrad. Anyways, my interview is in a few weeks and I am very excited!

Congrats to everyone already accepted!:D

Where did you go to undergrad??

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you go to undergrad??

I went to undergrad in NC. I have lived in SC for about 15 months now and am considered a resident.

Congrats on your acceptance, btw!

I went to undergrad in NC. I have lived in SC for about 15 months now and am considered a resident.

Congrats on your acceptance, btw!

Thanks! Yeah i also got my invite with my secondary...its a good sign :)

Anyone have any news? Interviews, acceptances?

i have an interview coming up here at USC. Can anyone tell me what should I say to the interviewer about why i want to go to usc? does usc do something special? other than the rural medicine part.

Got the acceptance letter in the mail yesterday!

Which was a little weird since I think Shelley has been calling most people? Don't care though, I'm in!!!

Are you guys in-state? I was under the impression that they gave automatic secondaries to everyone that applied, especially those who are in-state. I know that if you go to USC for undergrad that you get an automatic interview invite before you even complete your secondary if your numbers are decent. I go to USC for undergrad and our pre-med advisor said that both SC schools give automatic secondaries to everyone.

This IS NOT correct. I am on the ADCOM and SC residents/students do not get auto secondary apps. They must still meet the reqs set by the ADCOM

This IS NOT correct. I am on the ADCOM and SC residents/students do not get auto secondary apps. They must still meet the reqs set by the ADCOM

Really? So do you happen to have any stats on how many in-state applicants get secondaries? And how many of those are invited to interview?

Also, any idea on what the chance of getting accepted once you interview are?

I'm just curious since I'm interviewing very soon and am really interested in USC.

It's great to have an ADCOM member around to get the facts from. Thanks!!! :D

Got the acceptance letter in the mail yesterday!

Which was a little weird since I think Shelley has been calling most people? Don't care though, I'm in!!!

Congrats!!!

Today ACCEPTED to USC SOM (Columbia, SC)!!!!!!!!!!!:D:):laugh::thumbup::cool:

congrats on your acceptance. i am wondering what to say to the interviewer for the question about why USC? what was your response, in general?

advantages for going to USC?

USC has small class size, wanting to practice in sc due to higher number of uninsured people than national average, great facilities (e.g. the ultrasound machine), excellent patient contact opportunities, close-knit group with students and faculty.

would you add anything to this list?

this goes for anyone already going to or will be attending USC SOM.
What did you guys say about the unique qualities of USC?

basically why USC?

Members don't see this ad :)
For my interview I highlighted the small class size and the potential that gives for close interaction with the faculty. I also hit on their GE Ultrasound partnership (they are mad proud of it). Oh, I mentioned the fact that you can chose to do your clinical years at the Greenville Hospital System and that's good for me personally cause I have family there, but that may not work for you. Good luck!

Got my acceptance letter in the mail today... could not be happier! I loved USC! YAY!

what is the normal reply time for USC? is it 2 weeks and you get a mail?

so i called the admissions office couple of days ago and was told that i am on hold. (post-interview) is this normal for many applicants. I am IS btw.

Do most usc students who will eventually get accepted are placed in this hold category? I was also told that very few get accepted on that same day as the interview.

Also, how does usc look at LOI?

actually nvm. i just got accepted today! the response was definitely quick.

I interview in March.
Does anyone have any interview tips for USC? What should I expect? How many others will be there also?

I interview in March.
Does anyone have any interview tips for USC? What should I expect? How many others will be there also?

You'll show up and have lunch with about 15 others interviewers and 2 med students (usually). Then you have two interviews around the campus, followed by what they call "cookie time." All the adcom members spend about 10 minutes mingling with the interviewees to put faces to names while scarfing down sugar and coffee. After that you're free to leave.

For my interview I played up the small class size (approx. 85) and their partnership with GE to use the portable ultrasound devices. It worked for me.

You'll show up and have lunch with about 15 others interviewers and 2 med students (usually). Then you have two interviews around the campus, followed by what they call "cookie time." All the adcom members spend about 10 minutes mingling with the interviewees to put faces to names while scarfing down sugar and coffee. After that you're free to leave.

For my interview I played up the small class size (approx. 85) and their partnership with GE to use the portable ultrasound devices. It worked for me.

Curious. What were the lunch options and where did it come from?

Curious. What were the lunch options and where did it come from?

For my group they had a buffet style lunch set up in a conference room consisting of roast beef, mashed potatoes, and salad. They really didn't give you any other options, you just filed into the room and the food was in those silver warmers waiting for us.

For my group they had a buffet style lunch set up in a conference room consisting of roast beef, mashed potatoes, and salad. They really didn't give you any other options, you just filed into the room and the food was in those silver warmers waiting for us.

Thanks. I think I would be too nervous to eat anyway. :eek:

Thanks. I think I would be too nervous to eat anyway. :eek:

Lol. I felt bad for a few people who I think were vegetarian. They just sat and made conversation while everyone else munched away.

Don't be nervous! I think think they go out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable! Just enjoy the day, it really is fun.

And congrats neil on the acceptance!

actually nvm. i just got accepted today! the response was definitely quick.
Well from reading this forum it must only be the "accepted" that get a letter so soon. I know people who interviewed and are still waiting for a reply, some as long as a month ago. :confused::(

Original post was in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
The committee meets at the end of the month, so any correspondence will probably go out at the beginning of each month. People who haven't heard yet might want to give them a call before the offices close for the holidays.
How can that be? Several people hee have had interviews mid-month Weds and get an acceptance dated the next Monday. One had an interview on the 19th and received a letter dated the 24th....that does not seem to match up with a month end ADCOM meeting.:confused:

How can that be? Several people hee have had interviews mid-month Weds and get an acceptance dated the next Monday. One had an interview on the 19th and received a letter dated the 24th....that does not seem to match up with a month end ADCOM meeting.:confused:

Oh hah, I posted that in the wrong thread. My bad :(

For USCSOM, the adcom meets after all the interviews are done and sorts people between acceptances and their active review list.

Last edited:
Oh hah, I posted that in the wrong thread. My bad :(

For USCSOM, the adcom meets after all the interviews are done and sorts people between acceptances and their active review list.

So that would lead one to believe if they have not heard within the first week they are under review each week until the class is filled. Is that your understanding?

So...when is it appropriate to call and check on your status? Should you wait until the full 2-3 weeks are complete? Does it help or hurt you if you call to check?:confused:

So that would lead one to believe if they have not heard within the first week they are under review each week until the class is filled. Is that your understanding?

That's my understanding yes. If you're not initially accepted (which is very commonplace) they review your file each week with all the new interviewees.

As far as calling to check your status, I don't think it will hurt your chances at all. Most likely you will talk to the admission's secretary who has no bearing on your admission decision.

I recieved an interview invite for March 4. I was wondering why not in February? How should a late invite affect me?

Anyone have any updates? I interviewed early-December and was told we know have an answer in 2 weeks yet still no letter. :(

Anyone have any updates? I interviewed early-December and was told we know have an answer in 2 weeks yet still no letter. :(

You should hear soon, I'd say. I'd wager you haven't heard anything yet due to the holidays interrupting normal business in the admission's office.

Well I found out today that I'm waitlisted :( Anyone have any advise for how to proceed from here. USC was my #1 choice!!!

Random question for all USCSOM applicants this year (answer if you want) - What's your MCAT, GPA, URM(yes/no), and current status (accepted/hold/other) ?

Well I found out today that I'm waitlisted :( Anyone have any advise for how to proceed from here. USC was my #1 choice!!!

Send the Adcom an update with your Fall 2008 grades as well as your Spring 2009 schedule. Include your continued interest in USC as your first choice. No guarantee of admission but it does show your continued interest in the institution.

Send the Adcom an update with your Fall 2008 grades as well as your Spring 2009 schedule. Include your continued interest in USC as your first choice. No guarantee of admission but it does show your continued interest in the institution.

I have to send in my Fall grades also. How should I send them? Should I mail the an unofficial transcript print out from the undergrad website?

I have to send in my Fall grades also. How should I send them? Should I mail the an unofficial transcript print out from the undergrad website?

I think you could either do that or just send a letter with your classes and grades listed. If they want to verify, they can do that themselves.

Anyone else have any news? August really isn't that far away!

I sent mine in the form of a letter. I typed a paragraph expressing my continued interest in the school. I then bulleted all grades and achievements since last communication. I had another paragraph of how I would fit in well there and they would be a great school for me as well. Just to give you an idea of how I did it. I am pre-interview by the way, if that makes a difference. Good Luck.

Question: Post-interview if you are not accepted are you automatically placed on the waiting list? I'm basically wondering how many people are put onto USC's waiting list.

Hooray, just got my interview invite this morning! For March 11th. Anyone else interviewing then?

Hooray, just got my interview invite this morning! For March 11th. Anyone else interviewing then?

Congrats! You will love it, I'm sure. It is a fun, somewhat relaxed day and everyone is really nice. Is this your first choice?

For those of you that are interviewing, try to be yourself and tell your interview everything that you want them to know. This is the best advice I can give you. Make sure you are relaxed before the interview and don't have regrets about not being able to tell them what you wanted to after the interview. So, write down everything you want them to know and make sure you look at that list before the interview day. Usually all of the interviewers, the interviewers I have had at different medical schools, are nice and easy going. If the interviewer does not SEEM interested or lacks interest (you can never know this for sure), try to be proactive. Don't just sit back and talk. Sit upright, use your hands, and have a positive tone.

Also, for USC try to talk to all of the interviewers during the cookie social so that they know you. Tell them something unique about you that they will remember when your file is presented at the commitee meeting.

Congrats! You will love it, I'm sure. It is a fun, somewhat relaxed day and everyone is really nice. Is this your first choice?

Thanks! From my SC experience, everyone - medical school related or not - is just super nice. I'm actually an out-of-stater and my state school tuition would be practically free, so there's always that consideration - but I feel like from what I've read and heard so far USC would be completely amazing. I've had two interviews this year but am in the excruciating waiting gloom right now and this interview is such a happy thing to look forward to.

For those of you that are interviewing, try to be yourself and tell your interview everything that you want them to know. This is the best advice I can give you. Make sure you are relaxed before the interview and don't have regrets about not being able to tell them what you wanted to after the interview. So, write down everything you want them to know and make sure you look at that list before the interview day. Usually all of the interviewers, the interviewers I have had at different medical schools, are nice and easy going. If the interviewer does not SEEM interested or lacks interest (you can never know this for sure), try to be proactive. Don't just sit back and talk. Sit upright, use your hands, and have a positive tone.

Also, for USC try to talk to all of the interviewers during the cookie social so that they know you. Tell them something unique about you that they will remember when your file is presented at the commitee meeting.

Wow, thanks so much for all this great advice! I have a while to prepare so I've been scouring the interview feedback pages and I'll have to go back over a lot of what I know I want to say. So psyched though.

Status
Not open for further replies.